• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ancient

Where does this game get all the hype from?

6 posts in this topic

Where does this game get all the hype from?

Só i started to play this game about a week or two ago. My character is a Noble Human with adventure lust, as my lust went on growing, i started to walk past the first town's borders. All i was met with was empty roads, lots of NPC enemies. And lots of static areas like the robbers/looters cave just outside of town. i sweeped the place clean just to later find out there is a quest to be done there, suddenly making it more interesting by spawning a Boss in the cave while he is holding prisoners in the cages that weren't there before i got the quest.

After that i continued on out of the cave having done every possible quest in that town, i was met with a farm in distress, i decided to kill the centaurs there level 10-11. Only to be met with "Thank you stranger, if it wasn't for you we'd be dead" on completion and i got a pair of low quality boots... (Which looked the same as the other boot i had in appearance wise) Not worth it. I ventured even further down the green fields and forests only to be met with small deserted camps with only a handful of uninteresting npc's and a few shops. Again, no one on the roads. In the marsh nearby, i finally met a monster i thought was quite cool in design, put unfortunately i was too strong and killed it in 12 seconds, while some other low level players in the area where working together to take it down. I asked to join them in whatever they where doing after they had slain the beast, but i just got a response of "Gtfo of here fggt" and they where on there way as i moved in the other direction, from camp to camp, from town to town doing repetitive quests of slaying centaurs and wildlife. It got boring very quickly. (And the server stats said this was a heavily populated server)

Then, when i was done farming creeps on my own, i decided to give PvP a go, i spawned in a different place i assume is reserved for just that, where you had like a match lobby browser similar to Valve games in a way. I joined some random servers since i had no info whatsoever on how to filter low level servers from higher ones (Is that possible btw??) So i joined a "Server" with only level 80 players and got my but kicked so hard while my team was trying to hold the control point. I felt useless and soon decided to quite PvP. With still no instructions on how to filter the low lvl players.

So my only left curious ambition i had was going into the massive city behind the first town u spawned in "Tutorial town" if you will. I had noticed before i could not enter the place if i hadn't reached a certain level. Which made me quite displeasing. But i understood why it was like that. Though as i understand it, if you buy the expansion, you can get into it no sweat. So i went in and saw more people there, but no one seemed to be willing to chit chat with a low level player apparently. I was presented with a quest that apparently follows the events of the tutorial, which you meet a prince of some sorts, that had been kidnapped during your heroic party, and then had to go rescue. Just some more grinding bandits, though i kind of liked the simple cinematic thing they tried to pull.

After that, i just don't know what else to do, i could grind some more, go into pvp perhaps to get my but swiped. Or explore other areas of the world, which btw i am not certain i can explore depending on the level i am. The feeling of cooperative play with random strangers to defeat a boss like in the tutorial, where me and 15 other new players with different classes went on outside the fortress to slay the rock elemental all together, these parts seem not to be present outside the tutorial, till now. Which i heard, there must be plenty, as that was what i was expecting mostly to find trough out the game. (Was my favorite part till now).

So, what do i do now? what is there left to check out? if you read my little experience so far i wrote above, could you please explain the parts i had difficulties with? which includes PvP, Exploration, keeping it fun, and interacting with people (Is there like a hub or something? ) ( fun variety of quests , or cooperative quests where lots of people see the same monster and all dive in together to slay it) And why do you still play Guild wars 2 really? seems a bit too generic like the other MMORPGS out there. Like TERA. LOTRO. etc... what makes it different '-'?

The snarky answer to your main question would be: The game got it from Colin Johanson, The Hype Train.

That out of the way, I'm sorry to hear about your story of players still going 'gtfo of here fggt'. I'm still surprised that the game still has that amount of player vindictiveness even in low level places like Queensdale, your starting area. I would say that either that particular player is being an idiotic bastard, or that he actually replied you truthfully, albeit snarkily and rather stupidly by saying that: because they would port to another map zone to take out another world boss.

The first question I could garner from you would be are you a free account player? I figured you might be, so there's a lot more restrictions than just getting some zones locked off until you reach a certain level; you can't leave the starter zones until you reach level 10, I believe. And then stuff like reaching level 30 before you can use the Looking-For-Group (LFG). And then you can't use mapchat if you're a free account, which could explain the reason why you're getting shunned aside in world chats: free accounts only lets you use the local chats and whispers and even that is restricted to about 30 seconds per use? I think? Maybe that could be the explanation as to why you're being shunned aside, social-game wise. There's no hub for any of these, and I just think that you may be restricted interaction-wise based on your account, unless you're in a guild, I believe, where you can just talk to us in a sense - I'll check this out later on.

Exploration-wise, personally I advise you not to rush into the mobs willy nilly, even though it's not against any set rules. I'd say you go around and explore the map and get to 100% completion around it: getting all waypoints, Hero points, POI's, vistas and renowned hearts - the gold hearts on the map, completed. That itself could net you some exp points. And some of these hearts provide options for you to finish it, and not just hitting enemies. Probably that could explain why you feel like it's a grind? And just saying, leveling up in Guild Wars 2 is much simpler and a little bit faster, provided you know what to do.

And if you're still in Queensdale, your starting zone, there's a world boss you can encounter there, where you need more than 20+ players to take out: Shadow Behemoth. I have a vague feeling you have seen this boss before from your story, but I'm not so sure about it. For your information, there's a number of world bosses like the Shadow Behemoth, with the infamous one in our guild being Tequatl the Sunless, aka Tequila Sunrise, aka Teapot Urinal. These monsters take a lot of players to defeat and along your journeys around the world map, you may encounter them. Aside from that, there's other dynamic events, colored with orange icons on your map that you can participate in and get rewards. All of these (world boss, dynamic events) are time based, so you can just take your time into it. And if you're interested on guild-based events, the guild runs a weekly guild missions that runs every Sunday at 9 PM server time, although we're going to take a break when HoT comes out.

PvP, as much fun as it is, you should dive into it once your character level is maxed out, or at a time where you have a better grasp at your character class and its traits and skills. The sole reason I think you got your butt handed to you in PvP would most likely be because you haven't traited well, and you haven't prepped your skills and specs well. I don't advise you not to go in, but since I figure you're a free account player, you're also restricted here, I believe. Personally I'm not good in PvP, and there's other members here who had fun in PvP that I know of, so I could only give a limited view on my part on PvP. 

Anyways. In all honesty, I don't really see where the game gets the hype, but we still play the game mostly because we grew to love the game. Sure, the endgame story sucks, and I still hate that the game doesn't end as good as I was supposed to feel about it, but it doesn't really stop me from having fun with it, especially when we roll together in a guild. And as for generic? A game where I get to swap weapons and get new skills out of it - where I can join in on a small party or a large army and roll out sieging castles with siege weapons? A game where I can just easily level up my character by either killing mobs, or exploring the map, or even crafting gear for myself? Or even cook?

What's pretty different is that the holy trinity of your standard MMO is non-existent here, where there is no standard DPS dealer, no healer and no tank. Every class you have can do all three, provided you trait and spec up correctly.

tl;dr - Take it slow, Guild Wars 2 is a different breed of MMO that's slow paced, and gives options for you to do things. You might be restricted on a lot of things just because you're on a free account, but that's not to hinder you or anything. It's a do-it-at-your-pace game, rather than your conventional MMORPG.  :)

If anything, that's my long ten-cents of the matter, hope it helps, and if there's anything that's bothering you, just feel free to hit the guild up in the game or in TS, or here.

adpop likes this

The feeling of cooperative play with random strangers to defeat a boss like in the tutorial, where me and 15 other new players with different classes...

I think that if you're looking for more group play then joining a Guild and getting more involved with Dungeons, Fractals, and the upcoming Raids might be your best bet.  Otherwise if you really do just want to murder a bunch of mobs with loads of strangers you could always check out the World Bosses, some of them have quite interesting mechanics, only problem is that they could get repetitive after a bit.  The game's main story gets pretty good, too.  IMO.

But why do I choose Guild Wars 2 over other MMORPGs?  I think it mostly comes down to the business model that ArenaNet are using; give them a set amount of cash one time and you have access to the game and pretty much every update for the next couple of years.  The lack of subscription model doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting money when I either don't want to play or can't play, and I love that.

Also, you can be a cat that runs on all fours.

Hmm. I do just do not understand why the game limits you social wise. "that you may be restricted interaction-wise based on your account," < This is so disappointing, if the restriction actually exists. Woudn't it make more sense to not limit free accounts socialy? Because its those free players that'll eventually spend cash on the game if they enjoyed the experience so far? right?

Yes i am using a free account. The only reason i wanted to try the game out was because of  because people where telling me it is a great and free MMO with massive PvE moments. I Presume those are the world bosses exclusively?

"where I can join in on a small party or a large army and roll out sieging castles with siege weapons" i wanted this since the start :mellow: But with such bad social skills since my birth in the game, is it even possible to engage in these battles without a party or guild? If so where do i sign up lol?

i am not very intrigued by the story so far, saving a prince from bandits seems a bit too cliché lol.

I am essentially looking for a good excuse to decide and continue playing the game guys, i kind of want to, and kind of don't atm. i want to play without forcing myself to grind endless mobs and walk endless miles for hours and hours all alone to level up so i can go and play pvp competitively whenever i get bored. :unsure:

I don't know what's already been said (quite a bit of reading there), but I read your question. So here's my 2 cents:

I have almost 900 hours in the game and I've been playing since launch. I've been a Guild Wars fan since about 2007 (and yes, I have the expansion pre-ordered). However, I've yet to fully apply myself to a specific goal in the game, I don't have any legendaries, I only have 1 level 80, and I'm way behind in achievement points, fractals, dungeons, etc. That's not for a lack of trying, though. I'd LOVE to get a legendary, or grind out the fractals, but I always end up distracting myself with random tasks like leveling up my other characters, or grinding a dungeon for its armor, or world boss grinding, running the Silverwastes, etc. So there's tons of things to do, as long as you find the game fun. This isn't your typical MMO where the joy is the grind, in this game the joy is the game. I hear a lot of "fans" complaining about things like nerfed rewards and poorly balanced incentives (which are false rumors, btw). Meanwhile, I'm just running around playing the content.

Though I do think there's a few things really worth pointing out. The Personal Story was entertaining at the start (and if you find it entertaining, then that's a good thing), but it was ultimately a mistake. It should not have been in the game at all. The personal story really breaks the game's canon lore and really breaks up the proper gameplay. Instead of epic world bosses and events, you pop into private instances and solo this "epic storyline." Hell, the "final boss" fight with Zhaitan, the elder dragon that raised an entire sunken island and filled it with undead minions and commanders is the anticlimactic end to a 5-man dungeon. It was totally mishandled. A lot of early game content in general has been mishandled (being freaking OP as hell vs all the early game monsters), but luckily you don't really notice a lot of it until you make a new character after experiencing the "good" content.

What's the "good" content? Well, Fractals are getting rebalanced (I was already a fan, and now they're gonna be great), map completion gives you that "completionist" satisfaction, world bosses are fun, even if they're pushovers, PvP can be fun, a good guild gives you unlimited source of entertainment (let me know if you want to try our guild), and the active development is something to admire. Every holiday provides special themed content and they have the Living World, which continues the storyline from the end of your personal story, and is leaps and bounds better in quality in every way, especially season 2. What's even better? The expansion. Just take a look: 

Hopefully that's enough. I feel like I'm leaving a lot out, but it's 5:30am and I haven't slept, so I'm going to hit the bed. G'night

Hashirama Senju likes this

I think that if you're looking for more group play then joining a Guild and getting more involved with Dungeons, Fractals, and the upcoming Raids might be your best bet.  Otherwise if you really do just want to murder a bunch of mobs with loads of strangers you could always check out the World Bosses, some of them have quite interesting mechanics, only problem is that they could get repetitive after a bit.  The game's main story gets pretty good, too.  IMO.

But why do I choose Guild Wars 2 over other MMORPGs?  I think it mostly comes down to the business model that ArenaNet are using; give them a set amount of cash one time and you have access to the game and pretty much every update for the next couple of years.  The lack of subscription model doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting money when I either don't want to play or can't play, and I love that.

Also, you can be a cat that runs on all fours.

Limiting free accounts is actually a good thing, from certain point of views, there are a few disadvantages to that, but it keeps the game clear from unnecessary spammers.

The game itself is soo big...it's better if you actually saw Joe's review of the game, but also note that the game has changed quite extensively since then.

I'll just list these points:

-The game is very well balanced.

-Best crafing system I've ever seen, as well as gathering system.

-Exploration is fun and rewarding.

-New content added all the time.

-You can actually level up from level 10 to 80 in under 5 minutes (but it requires you to have a lot of crafting materials)

And there's a lot more stuff to be found, it can take hours to find and solve every puzzle on 1 map.

There are also some bad things with the game, inevitably, but they are outshined by the good things.

-You start with only 5 character slots (you can unlock more with gems)

-Sometimes (especially on crowded servers) when you fight world bosses, there are soo many players in one place, depending on your computer, you'll have either, big lag, or low framerate.

Hashirama Senju likes this