• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Lival

Should there be DLC or no?

21 posts in this topic

The age old topic. Should there be DLC. In my opinion. No. But in some cases maybe. Now some DLC are worth the extra $15 for example the Citadel DLC from Mass Effect 3. It was so funny and it really let ME3 go out with one last good bang. it let you know that this is the end for Shepard and that a new hero will emerge. But there are some DLC that just isn't worth the money like the little packs of armor or in some cases skins for fighting games. I think those kinds of things should already be in the game and not have to pay $5. that is not worth it. I do argue no for DLC though. DLC is content that should already be in the game, for example day 1 DLC. What the hell. That one day DLC should be in the game already! I already payed $60 why should i pay for another 5 just for an extra area or character!

There are good DLC and just ones that should not be the price that it is given. Whats your opinion of DLC and what are some of your best or worst DLC that you have come across?

CommLeopard likes this

Yes to adding new things that are not just ingame lock

no to day 1 dlc that they could just added ( costumes, weapons etc )

Best = Mass Effect 2 - Lair Of The Shadow Broker was high quality DLC but it wasn't that long...

Lival likes this

I think DLC are just like Expansions. I'm cool with them, just as long as I can get more fun out of the game. Example, new clothing is bad DLC, I don't want to pay for that. A whole new story? Good DLC. I will pay for that.

i view it on a case by case basis, but mostly i just don't care, it lets people pay for what they want (in theory) and ignore what they don't, its only when they try to sell you 10000 mini items (looking at you saints row 3) on top of the buying price

The age old topic. Should there be DLC. In my opinion. No. But in some cases maybe. Now some DLC are worth the extra $15 for example the Citadel DLC from Mass Effect 3. It was so funny and it really let ME3 go out with one last good bang. it let you know that this is the end for Shepard and that a new hero will emerge. But there are some DLC that just isn't worth the money like the little packs of armor or in some cases skins for fighting games. I think those kinds of things should already be in the game and not have to pay $5. that is not worth it. I do argue no for DLC though. DLC is content that should already be in the game, for example day 1 DLC. What the hell. That one day DLC should be in the game already! I already payed $60 why should i pay for another 5 just for an extra area or character!

There are good DLC and just ones that should not be the price that it is given. Whats your opinion of DLC and what are some of your best or worst DLC that you have come across?

I used to work in the industry so I'll give you a developers perspective. Simply put, without DLC these games wouldn't produce enough of money to keep making more games. It costs a rediculous amount of money to make AAA games. The publishers and developers still need this money to provide more improve the quantity and quality of their games as well as keeping their business open. It costs a company like EA $50000 dollars to stay open for one hour. Also, in the retail stores this is how the sixty dollar price tag is broken up for the price of a new video game. This is also the reason why theres a big push to digital.

Developers: $10

Publishers: $10

Retail Stores: $20

Case and Manual Manufactuers: $20

DLC are sometimes fun but most the time its just a waste of the money on both ends. The developer could have save money by packaging it all together, and besides who here are anywhere decided to buy a game just because the DLC? That's why I like getting the (Game of the Year) addition you get a complete game for a lot less.

First of all: DLC is NOT going away. It's a moot debate. 

But, DLC isn't inherently good or bad, but rather how it's used is the issue. Adding onto a complete game with an off-shoot campaign is great. Making extra outfits, or a proper ending a part of paid DLC is a dick move, through and through. 

Also, not a huge fan of season passes. Paying a lot up front where you don't really know what you're paying for. I bought the Borderlands 2 season pass, and never downloaded past the second offering, due to having my character deleted thanks to that save virus going around. 

I used to work in the industry so I'll give you a developers perspective. Simply put, without DLC these games wouldn't produce enough of money to keep making more games. It costs a rediculous amount of money to make AAA games. The publishers and developers still need this money to provide more improve the quantity and quality of their games as well as keeping their business open. It costs a company like EA $50000 dollars to stay open for one hour. Also, in the retail stores this is how the sixty dollar price tag is broken up for the price of a new video game. This is also the reason why theres a big push to digital.

I do agree with what your saying. There are some Developers/ publishers that need the money but i still wont like the whole 1 day dlc or the little mini stuff that some throw in. I say if you want to make DLC make it good, ones that in view more story or depth into the game or just DLC that ends the game go out with a bang and a way to add more game time and story.

Best = Mass Effect 2 - Lair Of The Shadow Broker was high quality DLC but it wasn't that long...

That was a great DLC. I loved the 3 areas we got to go through and the end cutscene when liara got to have a reunion  with Shepard. That was a DLC that was worth the money.

I can't finish dead space 3 because every time I go to a weapon bench I see the "buy a better gun button" and rage quit. I don't mind it just don't reference it in the game. That being said some dlc is fine, but alot of it is bs.

Short : yes

Nobody is forced to buy them. But they can add some value to the games we love. Of course it depends on the execution and case. I certainly don't support stuff that is taken out of the original game to be sold as DLC shortly after release or even at release (I look at you, Activison and EA!!!) but there are also really good DLCs which just enhance the basic experience with the game and which needed additional time and resources to make. I gladly buy many of them - if fairly priced - for my favorite games.

I don't like DLC's that clearly should have been in the game at release like the From Ashes DLC in ME3, or when two of the sequences in one Assassin's Creed (Brotherhood?) were held back as DLC. DLC for me should be like expansion packs of old where you were essentially buying another game, not these poncy single mission DLC's that give about 30 minutes of gameplay

Lival likes this

$20 for a case and manual? Excuse my forwardness, but I have to call bullshit on this. I'm certain these companies are aware of economies of scale. To say that 1/3 of the cost goes into those costs simply cannot be true. 

Yes For DLC and don't think it'll ever go away either. DLC done right shouldn't complete a game, a game should be released with all it's content and the DLC should be things that don't directly affect the feel of the game like costumes or extra missions. The question should be, "If you don't spend money for this DLC are you still getting a complete experience?" For cases like ME3 day one DLC the answer is no and the same is true for most day 1 DLC. Taking something out of a game that is already complete, or taking out part of the story to sell later is total bs. but extra skins is fine because they don't take away from the game experience if you don't buy it and it's there for people who do want to buy it to have. If developers want to make extra skins, or tell a side story or a back story or even add on to what they already have that's fine. Like they did with Alan wake, they added more chapters, it didn't take away from the main game but it was still worthy of the price tag for those who wanted it. 

In short, as long as the vanilla game is complete and nothing was taken out for dlc, and the dlc isn't something major to the story that should have been part of the game to start with, then it is totally fine

I hate day one dlc, they could just add it into the game at no extra charge. But if its story based and comes out like 5-6 months after the game comes out, I wouldn't mind that.

I am all for DLC with REASONABLE people behind them. Companies like EA cannot be trusted with DLCs as they showed. It feels like they use DLCs as a replacement for 'patches' that used to be free.

Personally I am an Expansion guy where you get a large chunk of content all together and it actually feels like the price is worth it...however with DLCs it is almost hard to find DLCs that worth their price especially with Map packs and such ....

Yes and no. Yes for the bigger expansions and no if the SDK is released to make new user created content.

Yes and no. Yes for the bigger expansions and no if the SDK is released to make new user created content.

Why do you think there shouldn't be DLCs when the devs released the SDK? So the "nice guys" who make modding possible won't have the possibility to earn money with their game/franchise anymore while the "bad guys" who don't give users the possibility to create own content can make a quick buck???

Remember the Shivering Isles for TES: Oblivion? One quarter of the game world added and dozens of hours of gameplay. Or Throne of Baal for BG2? Level cap raised from 20 to 30 and you get to freaking become a demigod at the end of the game?

Nowadays: Weapon Packs...Map Packs...dafuq. 

And: Pre order now and you get this for free even though we should have included it in the first place. LIke CA when they announced the Greek States Pack SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE THEY RELEASED THE GAME

Lival likes this