• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

MechSoldier

Discord - A New Gamer Chat

27 posts in this topic

Greetings, Angry Army! I have come today to tell you guys about a new chat system called

Discord

Discord-Brand-Fully-Illustrated.jpg

Discord is an all-in-one text chat built specifically for gamers. Its services are 100% free and the dev team is actively updating it every two weeks to a month.

Its first release was back in May. My friends and I happened to come across it and we wound up moving our base of operations over to it instead of Skype. I even wound up pulling my friends who used teamspeak for its voice channels and lower resource usage.

The screenshot here shows off its layout

ldnK6Tq.png

What Discord offers:

Free server setup. Type a name and it's ready to go. You can immediately set up channels and set roles after that

Browser client with no registration required to try!

Low CPU, bandwith and latency

IP and DDoS protection

Image/video embedding when you paste links. No more blind link clicking! (last update seems to also let you play YouTube videos)

Individual volume control

Modern text chat with separate voice channels

Permissions. They recently added role separation in lists as well as colors representing those roles.

More on the way! (we should be seeing an in-game overlay within the next few updates)

"Completely free? Okay, what's the catch?"

No catch. They plan to sell themes, sound packs and bits that don't relate to the service, itself. They promised their service will be absolutely free.

"Okay, how much did they offer to pay you?"

Nothing, honestly. I just really like this program. I haven't used Skype or TeamSpeak ever since I got it installed and I want to help grow its popularity. So, I sow my seeds in forums and let it grow from there! I wound up getting 60 people from the Divinity forums (as well as a couple Larian staff) to join my Divinity Discord server. They like it.

DoctorEvil and Alexander452 like this

Sounds interesting. What devices does it work for? I ask because I've been looking at ways for different platforms to live chat (particularity XB1 and PC) and whilst the XBox party chat system on Windows 10 and Skype look promising, may as well look for other alternatives to.

Sounds interesting. What devices does it work for? I ask because I've been looking at ways for different platforms to live chat (particularity XB1 and PC) and whilst the XBox party chat system on Windows 10 and Skype look promising, may as well look for other alternatives to.

The app works on PC, Mac, web browser clients, Android and Apple devices. I use PC client, primarily, but switch to the web client at work and the phone app when on the go. It's pretty handy.

This is on our Radar,  our biggest wish is a way to integrate Forum Ranks automatically to it's voice servers.  

Hm. That might be something worth getting in contact with them about. Though it may also have to be a discussion between InvisionPower and Discord, unless Discord makes a widget that operates like that.

This actually looks pretty promising!  Could be a good way to integrate chat and messaging across platforms.

Currently, they've integrated twitch subs, got a mod from the guys over at technic which allows modpacks to have a built in Discord chat within Minecraft. I'm curious to see what comes next after their in-game overlay is released.

I've had a chance to use Discord for a bit now and I've got to say it, it is WAY better than TeamSpeak!.  It's more social, more accessible the mobile app is not only superior but free, it's easier to use, the UI is more appealing to look at and it all round just much more fun!  The text chat is compatible with images and Gifs and it's just a much simpler and...  Ok I'll just show it to you!  Side by side with TeamSpeak.

qyDNJ56.png

You see what I mean!  TeamSpeak is all data and technical information.  On Discord people where talking about shows on Netflix and cracking jokes! (the slightly wonky 4K scaling on TS doesn't help either)

To anyone who is familiar with the AJSA PSN rooms on PS4 it's a very similar experience.  I'd actually propose (if we don't have one already) that we set up and unofficial server for the AJSA and give members a chance to try it out.  If the integration of forum ranks is the only thing that stopping the AJSA from using this in an official capacity then we need to push the developers to include those features, but even that is a small price to pay.  After just a few minutes I can say for certain that the experience will be better and easier with Discord.

I am actually starting to use this instead of Skype, it is really good.

I used this last Wednesday for 3+ hours with a friend without a hitch. Will be using it again this week with him.

Talked about this with my best bud yesterday.
We're going to give it a whirl.
Thanks for refferring this.

So is there going to be an official Discord chat for the AJSA?

Interesting, definetly going to check it out 

You're in luck, and for anyone who follows the AJSA twitter probably already knows, but there is an AJSA Discord! https://discord.gg/0iHbkwYao3Pl1zdj If you have a rank on the website, it may take a bit to get it assigned as unfortunately we are doing that completely by hand atm.

Alexander452, , RuneX and 4 others like this

I'll be sure to sign up as soon as I get the net back up in my new house.

Liking Discord, even though I'm impressed by the mobile app. The desktop app though...

wm1T7wi.png

... yeah, there's a few issues here.

EDIT: Should update, the desktop works fine. The problems here have obviously been long since fixed.

Yeah, Ranking has to be done manually from what I gather. Also how were you able to get a perm link for the channel? So far we have had to send invites in real time to people to get into it.

I've completly replaced this with Skype and TS3. It's fast, effective and you barely notice it's running. It's perfect!

I know. It takes barely any resources and doesn't konk out on you as often as skype. That and you can be in several servers at a time for text chat at least. So I can keep tabs on both AJSA stuff and the other games I run with friends. Lookin forward to seeing more people using it.

Apex Spartan likes this

I've had my personal room set up since December and everyone who joins (including myself) that are automatically muted on connect. I can unmute myself since I am the one running the room but my friends who connect I must manually unmute, even tho I have set permissions for users to be able to do so.

What the Server ID?

What the Server ID?

Here ya go:

You're in luck, and for anyone who follows the AJSA twitter probably already knows, but there is an AJSA Discord! https://discord.gg/0iHbkwYao3Pl1zdj If you have a rank on the website, it may take a bit to get it assigned as unfortunately we are doing that completely by hand atm.

Sw1ftfox and Legolas_Katarn like this

Here ya go:

Gonna look into this Discord app. Heard a lot of Dutchies about it.

On 1/7/2016 at 10:48 AM, Tons0fun said:

You're in luck, and for anyone who follows the AJSA twitter probably already knows, but there is an AJSA Discord! https://discord.gg/0iHbkwYao3Pl1zdj If you have a rank on the website, it may take a bit to get it assigned as unfortunately we are doing that completely by hand atm.

Yeah, I was just wondering about that, so I can get changed to game officer on Discord.