• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Nikko62

Is Free-2-Play = Pay-2-Win?

21 posts in this topic

What do you think guys?  Leave a comment!

For my opinion, it depends on the content. 

Example: A modded M4A1 (in any game) that you pay real money is either more powerful, slighty more powerful or just has a sight than a normal M4A1 that you buy with the in-game money. 

For me, if it's something temporary, like a 7-day weapon, I don't think it's worth it.  If you play the game continuously, it's fine, but I'm not a real fan at "renting" stuff. 

It also mainly depends on player skill, you may have a powerful item, but if you can't use the maximum out of it if you can't play the game. 

What do you think guys?  Leave a comment!

For my opinion, it depends on the content. 

Example: A modded M4A1 (in any game) that you pay real money is either more powerful, slighty more powerful or just has a sight than a normal M4A1 that you buy with the in-game money. 

For me, if it's something temporary, like a 7-day weapon, I don't think it's worth it.  If you play the game continuously, it's fine, but I'm not a real fan at "renting" stuff. 

It also mainly depends on player skill, you may have a powerful item, but if you can't use the maximum out of it if you can't play the game. 

Depends on the type of game and what kind of free-to-play model it has. A good example of a pay-to-win game is Blacklight: Retribution. A good example of a non-pay-to-win game is League of Legends. I believe it's okay to offer power ups and all as long it's accessable to the players who do not want to pay for them and make it reasonable in terms of aquireing them.

Saigonrice and Nikko62 like this

I hate the "free 2 play" model in general. It most cases, it costs more to gain access to the full game than it would to just shell out $50-60 for a full game. Except the F2P games often shirk on quality as well, because of the zero up-front cost to the consumer. 

They're the worst trend in gaming, in my opinion. Even in halfway decent F2P games, the difficulty is often completely unbalanced to promote users to pay for bonus, power ups or more powerful weapons, otherwise impossible to obtain. 

Croaker and Lhotse5 like this

At least some F2ps got it right (Team fortress 2 DOES NOT COUNT cause it was b2p before.)

Nikko62 likes this

I'm okay with offering short-cuts (exp boosts, etc.), cosmetics to an extent, stuff like that.  Offering different sights for a gun, etc. is not okay.

Nikko62 and AdmiralArmchair like this

Games like Planetside 2 or League, that allow you to unlock everything important (ie. runes, characters, weapons, etc.) without paying, but allow you to pay for cosmetics or shortcuts are fine, in my opinion. Games that shove it down your throat, trying to get your money whenever they can, such as Candy Crush or the artist formerly known as The War Z, are not okay.

Depends on the game and it´s business model. It is very situational really.

Some free games I do like. 

I play Planetside 2 a hell of a lot.....

But I do avoid cash shop heavy games like the plague.

I am okay with games like TF2 and Dota 2 that give you the choice to buy weapons and cosmetics as well as allowing you to "find" and/or trade for them. Games that jam micro-transactions down your through (i.e. most IOS games) piss me of to no end.

mmmh... the only Free to play that I play is MWO... and that is certainly not pay to win... or I'm doing something wrong ^^

Free to play doesn't necessarily mean pay to win, in War Thunder for instance you can pay the get the better aircraft but you end up battling others of the same level so you don't really gain an advantage by paying, you just get access to more of the game quicker.  Giving the choice of grinding or paying in a game doesn't bother me as long as it's free to play, unlike in GT6 or Forza 5 where it's totally unacceptable to have a pull priced game and then put half of it behind pay-walls.

sadly, 90% of those f2p games are p2w. The only 2 exceptions i know are Path of Exile and League of Legends.

Depends on the nature of the "Cash Shop", if its all purely cosmetic then you aren't getting an edge for you money, which = not paying to win.

Personally I avoid Free To Play games, I find they are either A) not as polished or B) Pay to win, obviously there are exceptions, but I prefer games where I pay a set amount and thats it, I HAVE IT ALL

nickel and diming winds up costing more usually for me

sadly, 90% of those f2p games are p2w. The only 2 exceptions i know are Path of Exile and League of Legends.

You forgot dota 2

There are a few exceptions on the pay-2-win formula. For me I think F2p games should serve as a demo for something. A polished, fun, but restricted version of the main game. I would honestly buy additional weapons/content if I felt I got more out of it, and it was permanent. If you get hooked on a pay2win game you might blow 5 Grand without even noticing, like I did.

A good F2P game I felt I got a hell of a lot out of was RuneScape, but that game is dead now.

Blacklight Retribution is a great example of a good Free2play game.

The camo and other cosmetics that really does not affect gameplay are the only thing you can't access with ingame currency 

Not all play4free are pay2win but some is it by far.

Mostly depends on what type of game itis. ;)

Different games handle the F2P system differently. Examples of how to nail F2P are games like Dota 2, Runescape and Team Fortress. Sadly enough, for each balanced F2P or freemium game, there's about 6876546574 that act with the "F*CK YOU GIMME MONEY" mentality. :(