• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Gears Kondraki

Would like to hear opinions on my first build

17 posts in this topic

Ok so I'm building a PC for the first time and i would like to know some peoples opinions on the parts I'm planning on buying and if you want you guys can give me pointers and tips on stuff :P 

Here's da build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hzLX6h

Seems good but i have no real life expierance do you need to overclock?

Seems good but i have no real life expierance do you need to overclock?

Probably later on but i don't think anytime soon

Build looks solid, but I have a few suggestions:

cuMkRCi.png

Not sure if everyone will agree with me on this bit I recommend using 1 stick of 8Gb rather tham 2 Sticks of 4Gb.  Leaves more room for future upgrades, will use a little bit less power and less parts = less parts that can go wrong.  It will cost about the same.

The 1TB HDD is fine but I would also recommend an SSD for your Windows partition, It will cost an extra $50 (120Gb) - $150 (500Gb) but it makes a huge difference to your load times and helps your computer to run smoother and quieter.

You should be able to get a copy of widows 7 or 8 for considerably less than 10 and you can still upgrade for free anyway so this should save you some money, don't forget if the OS you pick is Disk based you will need an optical drive as well.

I have a PCI adapter for WiFi and to be honest I probably should have got a USB one.  Their cheaper, just as effective and if you should choose to install a second GPU of some other PCI component you will have a much easier time without that slot being taken up.

Hope that helps!

Build looks solid, but I have a few suggestions:

Not sure if everyone will agree with me on this bit I recommend using 1 stick of 8Gb rather tham 2 Sticks of 4Gb.  Leaves more room for future upgrades, will use a little bit less power and less parts = less parts that can go wrong.  It will cost about the same.

The 1TB HDD is fine but I would also recommend an SSD for your Windows partition, It will cost an extra $50 (120Gb) - $150 (500Gb) but it makes a huge difference to your load times and helps your computer to run smoother and quieter.

You should be able to get a copy of widows 7 or 8 for considerably less than 10 and you can still upgrade for free anyway so this should save you some money, don't forget if the OS you pick is Disk based you will need an optical drive as well.

I have a PCI adapter for WiFi and to be honest I probably should have got a USB one.  Their cheaper, just as effective and if you should choose to install a second GPU of some other PCI component you will have a much easier time without that slot being taken up.

Hope that helps!

Alright so i took the some of your advice about the RAM and went with one stick, also decided that I'm going to check out some USB and see how they compare as for the SSD if i go with windows 7 ill be able to afford it but my main worry is that if i have to say re install windows again for whatever reason after the upgrade period is over ill be stuck with an old OS.

Alright so i took the some of your advice about the RAM and went with one stick, also decided that I'm going to check out some USB and see how they compare as for the SSD if i go with windows 7 ill be able to afford it but my main worry is that if i have to say re install windows again for whatever reason after the upgrade period is over ill be stuck with an old OS.

Once you have upgraded to Windows 10 you are able to upgrade again from 7 or 8 on the same PC, even after the free upgrade period has ended as long as you have:

1. A copy of your original OS weather it be on disk or on USB storage (more details on how it works via USB and Windows 7 on this topic HERE).
  2. Your original product key, keep it safe.
  3. You HAVEN'T done any major changes to you system that effectively make a different computer like changing the motherboard (this has been the case for Windows 7 & 8 as well).

As long as you retain the original product Key for the OS that you purchased AND it was originally activated and upgraded during the free period there should be no problem.

Even if you did have a situation where you had to choose between Windows 10 or Windows 7/8 with an SSD I'd still be tell you to go for the SSD, I wouldn't even build a PC without one.  I wasn't exaggerating when I said the difference it makes to performance is HUGE.  The boot up time on my PC from pushing the power switch to the sign is screen is literally about 10 seconds.

you really want a 6600k? i have a 2500k and the difference of speed in game ratings between those 2 are only 13%. The 6600k has just a lower power consumption, a slightly cooler Temperature and better values on Undervolting and Overclocking.

Skylake is not thee "new Gen Power processor" (only overclocked at 4.6Ghz). It outclasses Haswell in efficency and only minimal on speed. But still too expensive though.

I would rather choose i5 4690k.

Once you have upgraded to Windows 10 you are able to upgrade again from 7 or 8 on the same PC, even after the free upgrade period has ended as long as you have:

1. A copy of your original OS weather it be on disk or on USB storage (more details on how it works via USB and Windows 7 on this topic HERE).
  2. Your original product key, keep it safe.
  3. You HAVEN'T done any major changes to you system that effectively make a different computer like changing the motherboard (this has been the case for Windows 7 & 8 as well).

As long as you retain the original product Key for the OS that you purchased AND it was originally activated and upgraded during the free period there should be no problem.

Even if you did have a situation where you had to choose between Windows 10 or Windows 7/8 with an SSD I'd still be tell you to go for the SSD, I wouldn't even build a PC without one.  I wasn't exaggerating when I said the difference it makes to performance is HUGE.  The boot up time on my PC from pushing the power switch to the sign is screen is literally about 10 seconds.

Well that's good to know i also read that you keep the upgrade even if you change motherboards as long as the OS wasn't OEM but i could be wrong.

you really want a 6600k? i have a 2500k and the difference of speed in game ratings between those 2 are only 13%. The 6600k has just a lower power consumption, a slightly cooler Temperature and better values on Undervolting and Overclocking.

Skylake is not thee "new Gen Power processor" (only overclocked at 4.6Ghz). It outclasses Haswell in efficency and only minimal on speed. But still too expensive though.

I would rather choose i5 4690k.

well I mainly went with the 6600k because the 4960k is only 20S cheaper and with the 6600k if i want to later on buy DDR4 RAM when its cheaper than i have that option and only need to buy a new motherboard, but maybe that's dumb? Lol now im starting to double take my build.

well I mainly went with the 6600k because the 4960k is only 20S cheaper and with the 6600k if i want to later on buy DDR4 RAM when its cheaper than i have that option and only need to buy a new motherboard, but maybe that's dumb? Lol now im starting to double take my build.

well in that case, if you want to be set up for future apps than the 6600k is ok, IF you consider Overclocking in a non distant future.

Looks really good(to my not-so-experienced-eyes). It seams to me that your build will destroy games, should easily get fantastic frame rates... Enjoy.

RAM

I will not go for DDR3 RAM + motherboard if I am going to use a Skylake CPU. How much money you actually saved by using DDR3 instead of DDR4? And you really think it is a good way "just replace motherboard" when upgrade to the cheaper DDR4 in future? Your math is wrong. You will be wasting a perfectly working $124 motherboard + $45 perfectly working DDR3 when you moved up to the much cheaper DDR4. You also need to REBUY the amount of DDR3 you have before into DDR4 and buy more. (otherwise you are not upgrading the size). By the time you are realizing how expensive just doing a RAM upgrade, you will probably don't bother with DDR4 and look for DDR3. And then you will find out how expensive and hard to find DDR3 at that time. Don't believe me? Go pcpartpicker and find how much for 1x8GB DDR2-800 RAM... The best I can find is 2x4GB DDR2-800 which is selling for $150!!  When DDR3 was becoming mainstream, DDR3 price getting cheaper and DDR2 became rarer and expensive because less and less RAM manufacturer made DDR2. And now it is the same for DDR4 and DDR3. 

RAM upgrade should be a cheap and easy job. Replacing both motherboard and RAM are definitely not cheap. And almost re-assemble the whole system just to do RAM upgrade are definitely time consuming and you may even need to spend more time to reinstall OS because of replacing a motherboard.

OS

You should also stick with Windows 10. You have a new system and should install the latest OS to take advantage of it... not wasting time in Windows 7. Since MS don't even bother to make SP2 for Windows 7, so after you finish install your Win7, you need to download almost 1GB of Windows updates!! Also MS only give Windows 7/8 users ONE YEAR time to upgrade to Win10 starting on July 29. 2015 and today is 11 Nov, 2015. So you tell me it is worth to keeping using Windows 7 for another half year and then you spend time to upgrade (reinstall windows) again?? If you end up are going to use Win10 then why are you not using right now? Don't worry, Windows 10 is very good. It is MS best OS transition in history. I have all 7 of my computers moved to Win10 and never look back. You don't save much $$ for going back to Windows 7. (but i am sure you will waste a lots of time for it)

Win7 Home = $89

Win10 Home = $105

I would spend more time to play game or do work than reinstall OS back and forth...

CPU

I see you are picking up an i5-6600k - an unlocked CPU. Are you really into CPU overclocking? You are paying a premium price for an unlocked CPU + CPU cooling solution. You know that most of the games are GPU dependent. CPU will make a small difference unless you have a very powerful video card. By using a non-k CPU that comes with a CPU heatsink fan. You will instantly save you at least

6600k: $255 + 25 = 280

6600: $216 (save 64)

6500: $195 (save 85)

This much saving is enough for you to get..

a 120GB - 240GB SSD

or

move your whole platform to DDR4

OS

You should also stick with Windows 10. You have a new system and should install the latest OS to take advantage of it... not wasting time in Windows 7. Since MS don't even bother to make SP2 for Windows 7, so after you finish install your Win7, you need to download almost 1GB of Windows updates!! Also MS only give Windows 7/8 users ONE YEAR time to upgrade to Win10 starting on July 29. 2015 and today is 11 Nov, 2015. So you tell me it is worth to keeping using Windows 7 for another half year and then you spend time to upgrade (reinstall windows) again?? If you end up are going to use Win10 then why are you not using right now? Don't worry, Windows 10 is very good. It is MS best OS transition in history. I have all 7 of my computers moved to Win10 and never look back. You don't save much $$ for going back to Windows 7. (but i am sure you will waste a lots of time for it)

Win7 Home = $89

Win10 Home = $105

I would spend more time to play game or do work than reinstall OS back and forth...

I don't think you've quite understood how this works.  If you install using a new key for Windows 7/8 you can still use the free upgrade immediately, you don't have to wait.  As I explained it can still be reinstalled even after that period has ended if you still have your original Key for Windows 7/8.

So if you want to use Windows 10 right now then you better of buying a key for 7 and using the upgrade, it's cheaper and makes literally no difference.  I don't know about the US but here in the UK Windows 7 digital keys are WAY cheaper and even discs cost less.

6bXsdus.png

So why buy a digital key for Windows 10?  It's POINTLESS!

I don't think you've quite understood how this works.  If you install using a new key for Windows 7/8 you can still use the free upgrade immediately, you don't have to wait.  As I explained it can still be reinstalled even after that period has ended if you still have your original Key for Windows 7/8.

So if you want to use Windows 10 right now then you better of buying a key for 7 and using the upgrade, it's cheaper and makes literally no difference.  I don't know about the US but here in the UK Windows 7 digital keys are WAY cheaper and even discs cost less.

You are the one who also don't understand.... and ignore what people had said

1) I showed the prices of Win7 Home and Win10 Home. Not much of the difference in US and Canada (basically in North America)

2) I know how the upgrade work. I upgraded all 7 of my computers from win7/8 to win10. First there is a time limit for Win7/8 users to get free Win10 upgrade. 

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-free-year-windows-7-windows-8x-and-windows-phone-81-upgrades

When Windows 10 officially releases, users of Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, andWindows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. That, by itself, is awesome news. But, of course, there's a caveat. Microsoft really, really wants users to install and use the new OS, so the company is putting a deadline on the deal. One year after Windows 10 releases, the new OS will no longer be offered as a free upgrade. Myerson gave no indication of what the upgrade might cost after that.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/23119/windows-10-release-date-and-specs-22

• Windows 10 is available as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 consumer edition users during the first year after launch
  • If they don't upgrade within the year, consumers will be charged from £100

Windows 10 officially released on 29 July 2015. Today is 14 November 2015. So he HAVE to do the upgrade within the next 8 months. If he will end up using Windows 10 for good. And the prices ARE AROUND THE SAME. (need to bold that for you) Why should he buy a Win7/8, then (waste time to) install Win7/8,  then (waste some more time) to do Win7/8 update (you need to have certain level of Win7 update installed in order to allow upgrade to Win10), then (spend more time) to upgrade Win10. (a 2-3GB download) This is a stupid way to install Win10 for a NEW COMPUTER. Again, I build my computer for games and work, not for installing Windows repeatedly.

I assume you already know this but I still put it here. Win7/8 keys cannot be use to install Win10. The free Win10 MS "gift" to Win7/8 users only have a generic key. To get the FREE Win10, the computer have to have a valid version of Win7/8 installed and get it from Windows Update. After the OS upgraded and ACTIVATED, MS actually have made an unique hardware ID based on the system hardware info (examples: CPU ID/sn, motherboard id/sn, hard disk id/sn...) and saved into MS' activation server database. So next time when you need reinstall Win10, you don't need to reinstall Win7/8 and then upgrade again. BUT if you have big hardware changed before you do a clean install, auto online activation may not work and you need to call MS activation number.

You are the one who also don't understand.... and ignore what people had said

1) I showed the prices of Win7 Home and Win10 Home. Not much of the difference in US and Canada (basically in North America)

2) I know how the upgrade work. I upgraded all 7 of my computers from win7/8 to win10. First there is a time limit for Win7/8 users to get free Win10 upgrade.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-free-year-windows-7-windows-8x-and-windows-phone-81-upgrades

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/23119/windows-10-release-date-and-specs-22

Windows 10 officially released on 29 July 2015. Today is 14 November 2015. So he HAVE to do the upgrade within the next 8 months. If he will end up using Windows 10 for good. And the prices ARE AROUND THE SAME. (need to bold that for you) Why should he buy a Win7/8, then (waste time to) install Win7/8, then (waste some more time) to do Win7/8 update (you need to have certain level of Win7 update installed in order to allow upgrade to Win10), then (spend more time) to upgrade Win10. (a 2-3GB download) This is a stupid way to install Win10 for a NEW COMPUTER. Again, I build my computer for games and work, not for installing Windows repeatedly.

I assume you already know this but I still put it here. Win7/8 keys cannot be use to install Win10. The free Win10 MS "gift" to Win7/8 users only have a generic key. To get the FREE Win10, the computer have to have a valid version of Win7/8 installed and get it from Windows Update. After the OS upgraded and ACTIVATED, MS actually have made an unique hardware ID based on the system hardware info (examples: CPU ID/sn, motherboard id/sn, hard disk id/sn...) and saved into MS' activation server database. So next time when you need reinstall Win10, you don't need to reinstall Win7/8 and then upgrade again. BUT if you have big hardware changed before you do a clean install, auto online activation may not work and you need to call MS activation number.

I don't know what you think I meant before but you haven't told me anything that I don't know or haven't explained on this topic already.

Also as I have already explained when you register for the free upgrade with the current version of Windows 8/7 installed with a valid product key you CAN re-install Windows 10 using that key after the trial period has ended as long as you registered it DURING the period.  The process of doing so is nowhere near as intrusive or time consuming as you are making it out to be and I should know, I've already had to re-install Windows 10 once already.

Excluding the process of downloading the Windows 7 ISO file since this varies depending on the speed of your internet connection AND you only have to do it once. The total time it takes to do a fresh install of 7, register for the upgrade/input your details and then reinstall with 10 is at the most 1.5 hours and mostly automated. It's REALLY not a big burden for something that you only have to do once or twice. The reason your experience was a pain in the ass is because you have 7 systems which for most individuals and even households is a but excessive.

If the you can't find a legitimate copy of Windows 7/8 for much less then 10 then by all means go for 10 but I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could. After a couple minutes I found this one at $59:

https://softwareplaza.com/microsoft-windows-7-professional-32-64-bit-full-version-sp1-1241.html

I could go on but I'd rather just agree to disagree, the OP has the information so it's up to him.