• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
savagejoe444

Opinion: Fallout Series - I can't do it anymore...

26 posts in this topic

I tried, okay. I tried to like Fallout. I seriously tried to like this damn franchise. I played Fallout 3, New Vegas, and hell, I bought Fallout 4 day one (It was either this or Battlefront, and that for sure as hell wasn't happening).

I. F**king. Tried.

But I can't do it. I just can't. I don't know with this franchise anymore. I just can't enjoy Fallout and I seriously don't know what it is. It has nothing to do with it being an RPG or its post-apocalyptic setting or anything. I seriously don't know what it is.

I absolutely hated Fallout 3 and New Vegas when I first played them. Now my reasons for that was because of the shitty gunplay they had (which has not aged well might I add) and the downright ugliness of the games. Everything was an ugly greenish-brown in Fallout 3. Wasn't any better in New Vegas, which everything was orange, only uglier. I seriously thought that those were the main reasons for me not liking those games. But then Fallout 4 happens and yet with the much improved gunplay and art style, I still hated it.

This just saddens me. I want to like this franchise, I really do, but it just can't happen. I didn't even make it past lvl. 20 yet. It came to point were I was forcing myself to continue because I payed $60 for this game. But I just can't keep trying anymore. For all you guys who are loving Fallout, great. I'm happy you are loving this series and the recent one that came out. But me? I just can't do it anymore.

Have you guys ever felt the same way with any other popular game or franchise out there?

I don't understand why you force yourself to like a type of game that you don't like. Fallout series is always a RPG. And you are look for a shooting game WTF?? Even Fallout (from 3) can play like FPS but it is always a RPG first. It has EVERYTHING to do being a RPG. Also you miss A LOT by not using V.A.T.S in any Fallout game. It is like complaining GTA5 is not a good racing game... go figure... If you want a game with great graphics and good shooting mechanic, go buy Star Wars battlefront, CoD, BF4, Far Cry 4, Just Cause 3, Killing Floor 2... 

Don't blame the games. Blame your inability to know what you really want and understand what the game really is. Fallout 4 has pretty good graphics, a very good RPG, has a great storyline, great crafting system, great character creation, good dialogue... (Do you see all the good points are related to RPG??)

I have a Honda S2000 and will never complaint its cargo capacity. (which is actually pretty good for a roadster but still no match against anything) If I really want a car with more cargo capacity, I will get a 5 door hatchback instead (which i had a 3 door hatchback for) and will not complaint how suck S2000's cargo area on Internet.

**BTW. I just use GTA5 as an example. Racing in GTA5 is actually pretty good. Better than many arcade racer IMO. Definitely better than that POS new Need for Speed from fxxing EA.

Psykogrl likes this

I don't understand why you force yourself to like a type of game that you don't like. Fallout series is always a RPG. And you are look for a shooting game WTF?? Even Fallout (from 3) can play like FPS but it is always a RPG first. It has EVERYTHING to do being a RPG. Also you miss A LOT by not using V.A.T.S in any Fallout game. It is like complaining GTA5 is not a good racing game... go figure... If you want a game with great graphics and good shooting mechanic, go buy Star Wars battlefront, CoD, BF4, Far Cry 4, Just Cause 3, Killing Floor 2... 

Don't blame the games. Blame your inability to know what you really want and understand what the game really is. Fallout 4 has pretty good graphics, a very good RPG, has a great storyline, great crafting system, great character creation, good dialogue... (Do you see all the good points are related to RPG??)

I have a Honda S2000 and will never complaint its cargo capacity. (which is actually pretty good for a roadster but still no match against anything) If I really want a car with more cargo capacity, I will get a 5 door hatchback instead (which i had a 3 door hatchback for) and will not complaint how suck S2000's cargo area on Internet.

**BTW. I just use GTA5 as an example. Racing in GTA5 is actually pretty good. Better than many arcade racer IMO. Definitely better than that POS new Need for Speed from fxxing EA.

You do know that people have something called "opinions", right? Not everyone is gonna like everything you do and you're not gonna like everything that other people do.

OP, did you like other RPG's? Or is it just Bethesda games that you don't like?

If you don't really care for RPG's then I feel for you, it explains why you might dislike Fallout. What about TES?

No need to beat yourself over with a stick for not liking something. I like fallout in general and bethesda games, but if you would made me choose from Fallout 4 and say The witcher 3 or Shadow of Mordor, Shadowrun or even TES, fallout kinda falls short.

I always felt that Bethesda's NPC's and characters are kinda forgettable. I didn't feel how I was making such an impact into the world although in each of their games you kinda do make an impact. 

I think that the way they present you the action and the story of the game feels without much believability. Just my opinion.

I have your kind of issue with Bioware games. I mean I couldn't bring myself to finish neither ME, nor Dragon Age. Even though they are great RPG's.

It's all good, man, if you don't like Fallout, you don't like Fallout. 

Bethesda games in general aren't for everyone. I've personally come to love their numerous goofy bugs and glitches, and I think I'd have been more dissapointed if Fallout 4 had lacked those then I would have been if it was horribly optimized for PC. OH WAIT. 

Another thing that's really intimidating about Bethesda games is that sheer amount of freedom you get. Literally, after character creation, you can just fuck off to the middle of nowhere and get high off radscorpion poison or whatever. There is 0 obligation placed on you to do much of anything, really. 

Something that's been brought up in this thread already is the forgettable characters. I'd personally disagree with that, honestly. Cass and Boone from New Vegas, Fawkes from Fallout 3, and my latest favorite character in the Fallout series, Piper from Fallout 4- All pretty unforgettable, in my opinion. I think that what was meant there is that there's just so many people in these games, given their massive scope, that you really don't remember many of them. Bethesda doesn't really go out of it's way to flesh out characters through dialogue, but a lot of times if you dig around in their bedrooms, closets, safes, or pockets, you can find out some VERY interesting things. But yeah I digress, the characters, the majority of them, are pretty forgivable, as 99% of the characters you meet in any given Fallout game are just throwaway characters without much purpose except to fill out a void, provide some side quests, ect, ect. 

It is really understandable to me, as a long-time Bethesda game player, why you just might not like Fallout. Of course, I do wonder what types of games you normally DO like, so I can point you towards some ones you'd enjoy a bit more. 

My sympathies, It's frustrating to not get what you hoped for out of a game, especially when you see everyone else is getting allot of fun out of it.

You do know that people have something called "opinions", right? Not everyone is gonna like everything you do and you're not gonna like everything that other people do.

Did I not allow him to have his "opinions"? Just like you said. Everyone has his/her opinions. And I can also disagree or don't like his opinions. When he posted his opinion on the Internet, he should well aware not everyone will agree with him. I don't see he has any problem with it (yet) and so should you... 

You do know he already tried Fallout 3 and New Vegas. And he still jump into Fallout 4 at launch... or not waiting for reviews, youtube gameplay vides... and expect better outcome...

Yeah, see, you didn't like fallout 3 and new vegas, right? So maybe it would have been a good idea to NOT buy fallout 4 without seeing first how it was like, you know, given your first experience.

But too late for that, right? I hope you bought it through steam and got a refund.

Also don't buy Fallout 5.

baronrouker likes this

Yeah, see, you didn't like fallout 3 and new vegas, right? So maybe it would have been a good idea to NOT buy fallout 4 without seeing first how it was like, you know, given your first experience.

But too late for that, right? I hope you bought it through steam and got a refund.

Also don't buy Fallout 5.

Please bethesda dont make another Fallout.

you should not force yourself to play a game Franchise you don't like

People have different taste and not everyone will have the same opinions on a game

could be Obsidian that makes the next one, if there is a next one 

After they make DLC, release the mod tools and release all the patches for Fallout 4 they'll probably take a brake from Fallout and work on ES VI or a new IP. It's also possible that Beth will let another developer a make another Fallout game.

Don't you think you guys are being a little bit harsh? This game was hyped to hell on this forum, so the guy checks it out despite not really liking Fallout 3 and New Vagas and ends up underwhelmed. True, maybe he should have known better, but it's hypocritical and rude to say "tough shit" given that you, or more appropriately "we", are part of the reason he bought the game in the first place. Yep, kick a man only when he goes down, classy...

Don't you think you guys are being a little bit harsh? This game was hyped to hell on this forum, so the guy checks it out despite not really liking Fallout 3 and New Vagas and ends up underwhelmed. True, maybe he should have known better, but it's hypocritical and rude to say "tough shit" given that you, or more appropriately "we", are part of the reason he bought the game in the first place. Yep, kick a man only when he goes down, classy...

Then let this be a lesson to everyone that we shouldn't follow hype culture. Hype and underwhelmed go hand to hand these days.

baronrouker and Psykogrl like this

Well you could listen to podcasts and see if that works i listen to co-optional podcast, Rooster teeth podcast and the patch, i do that almost all the time when i hunt for achievements that is somewhat boring and repeditive(unless im invested in the story). It might be a bad thing to do if you're listening to the story that goes on in the game.

you could write down what you like about the game and what you don't like, then try to focus your gameplay towards the positive things.

You can also play it for small sections where you set a specific goal, "today im gonna complete this quest" and then jump of to do something else.

I feel like i have to force myself trough alot of games, if i find something boring or something extremely difficult. I mostly just set in my mind that i have to reach the ending credits and im done with a game. (of course it depends on how fun im having) 

not sure how to make you playthrough more enjoyable or how to make you like the franchise 

Fallout series is always a RPG. And you are look for a shooting game WTF?? Even Fallout (from 3) can play like FPS but it is always a RPG first. It has EVERYTHING to do being a RPG.

He didn't say he wanted it to be an FPS, he said the gunplay in 3 and NV was terrible, which it is.

Then let this be a lesson to everyone that we shouldn't follow hype culture. Hype and underwhelmed go hand to hand these days.

This has nothing to do with ignoring hype. This about people's attitude towards the OP when he's been let down and people take this chance to kick him. Like flame said, the game has an appeal to people who didn't like Fallout 3 or new Vagas with it's improved FPS mechanics, customisable weapons and settlements features. So, that along with the praise we've all spoken he checked it out, got let down and he should be penalised for it?

This thread has literally the most proportionately negative print I've seen about this game in this entire community, so why did it happen here? It's unnecessarily and pointlessly cruel. Give him a god damb break. I'm actually enjoying Fallout 4, so it's hard for me to relate, but I can imagine, so I know that this "you should have known better" attitude isn't helpful.

Laserrifle125 likes this

This has nothing to do with ignoring hype. This about people's attitude towards the OP when he's been let down and people take this chance to kick him. Like flame said, the game has an appeal to people who didn't like Fallout 3 or new Vagas with it's improved FPS mechanics, customisable weapons and settlements features. So, that along with the praise we've all spoken he checked it out, got let down and he should be penalised for it?

This thread has literally the most proportionately negative print I've seen about this game in this entire community, so why did it happen here? It's unnecessarily and pointlessly cruel. Give him a god damb break. I'm actually enjoying Fallout 4, so it's hard for me to relate, but I can imagine, so I know that this "you should have known better" attitude isn't helpful.

Then I suppose we can pat on his back until the problem goes away, instead of telling him what he did wrong and possibly preventing it from happening again.

Then I suppose we can pat on his back until the problem goes away, instead of telling him what he did wrong and possibly preventing it from happening again.

He already knows he made that mistake and will (hopefully) reflect on it and that will impact future decisions (I felt the same way about Destiny when it came out). If that wasn't the case we wouldn't be debating this because he wouldn't have started this topic in the first place. Like you, he's not stupid. He bought the game under perfectly sensible circumstances, got burned, and wanted to vent, so just let him. It's happened to us all and it'll happen again whether we see it coming or not.

He already knows he made that mistake and will (hopefully) reflect on it and that will impact future decisions (I felt the same way about Destiny when it came out). If that wasn't the case we wouldn't be debating this because he wouldn't have started this topic in the first place. Like you, he's not stupid. He bought the game under perfectly sensible circumstances, got burned, and wanted to vent, so just let him. It's happened to us all and it'll happen again whether we see it coming or not.

Then can I not say hype is bad?

Then can I not say hype is bad?

Hype is foolish to follow. That doesn't necessarily make it bad. Werther it's worth or not is defined buy the individual.

I'm personally baffled with how people are claiming that the hype train deceived people, because I got precisely what I expected from Bethesda. I wasn't expecting massive innovation, honestly. I got a bethesda RPG with hundreds of hours worth of content, weapon customization, and no doubt a shit-ton of mods coming when the Creation Kit comes out. The game dissapointed me in a few ways, but it also pleasantly surprised me in others.

But again, I am baffled at what it was all these other people were apparently expecting out of this game that has them so let down.

Hype is foolish to follow. That doesn't necessarily make it bad. Whether it's worth or not is defined by the individual.

Rarely has hype ever been a good thing. At this point Half Life 3 is going to suck because its hype is bigger than the universe itself. If it even comes out.

Rarely has hype ever been a good thing. At this point Half Life 3 is going to suck because its hype is bigger than the universe itself. If it even comes out.

Most surely the very foundations of the internet will shake if HL3 ever gets announced.

I tried, okay. I tried to like Fallout. I seriously tried to like this damn franchise. I played Fallout 3, New Vegas, and hell, I bought Fallout 4 day one (It was either this or Battlefront, and that for sure as hell wasn't happening).

I. F**king. Tried.

But I can't do it. I just can't. I don't know with this franchise anymore. I just can't enjoy Fallout and I seriously don't know what it is. It has nothing to do with it being an RPG or its post-apocalyptic setting or anything. I seriously don't know what it is.

I absolutely hated Fallout 3 and New Vegas when I first played them. Now my reasons for that was because of the shitty gunplay they had (which has not aged well might I add) and the downright ugliness of the games. Everything was an ugly greenish-brown in Fallout 3. Wasn't any better in New Vegas, which everything was orange, only uglier. I seriously thought that those were the main reasons for me not liking those games. But then Fallout 4 happens and yet with the much improved gunplay and art style, I still hated it.

This just saddens me. I want to like this franchise, I really do, but it just can't happen. I didn't even make it past lvl. 20 yet. It came to point were I was forcing myself to continue because I payed $60 for this game. But I just can't keep trying anymore. For all you guys who are loving Fallout, great. I'm happy you are loving this series and the recent one that came out. But me? I just can't do it anymore.

Have you guys ever felt the same way with any other popular game or franchise out there?

I can sympathize, OP. Blasphemous as it is, I've never actually played any Fallout game. Total open world RPGs just feel, well, too big and tasking for my taste. I feel kinda left out, since so many people are raving about it, but c'est la vie. Hope you can either return it or sell it. Props for trying the games, though.

It seems I have started a flame war here. Not surprised really, but we're all humans :)

OP, did you like other RPG's? Or is it just Bethesda games that you don't like?

If you don't really care for RPG's then I feel for you, it explains why you might dislike Fallout. What about TES?

I do like other RPGs. I use to play Final Fantasy a lot as kid until XIII kind of screwed it up (Not a terrible series, but definitely the weakest FF). As for TES? Well, I never got into TES until Skyrim, which is a fantastic game.

Never cared for Mass Effect or Dragon Age though. Not really a fan of the "Your choices affect the story and everyone around you." mechanic. I prefer RPGs that have one ending and not that '3-5 different endings' crap. That's just me.

And to answer some of the other comments here; I wasn't following the hype for this game. I had a small interest in the game when I saw the gameplay because it looked a lot better than the previous titles that through me off. I always give games or sequels of games I dislike another chance before finally passing my judgement off. Did the same with XCOM, so I was hoping this one would change my mind.