• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shagger

I just had a thought about Battlefront.

9 posts in this topic

The post launch support will suck, and here's why.

And no, it's not this news that they're already announcing sequels, although that is a factor in that ideas for improvement may just be saved for the newer games instead of being patched in. It's about the season pass.

To explain what I'm on about, we first have to look at another multiplayer only shooter published by EA, Titanfall.

When the game first launched, allot of people were bummed buy it's lack of content for a full priced game (familiar story, eh?), but was heavily tweaked with better balancing, matchmaking, levelling, emblems and a multitude of new game modes in the months following the games launch. Werther one feels with all this game was still worth it the price comes down to the individual, but the most important thing is this was added at no additional cost completely separate from the games DLC packs and season pass. The season pass also was eventually offered for free with DLC maps put into general circulation, but that was after quite a while from launch and I'm not gonna count them for this, it's still worth noting that happened though.

Now on to the season pass. Each of the three DLC packs offer new cosmetics, but more importantly three new maps for $10 each or $25 for the season pass. So if I'm getting my maths and assumptions correct that's not far of the same amount of content currently advertised as being a part of the Battlefront's season pass for about half the cost. So, already Battlefront's DLC looks bullshit by comparison, but I fear it's going to get worse.

Here is what was put into the game for free outside of the bug fixes and balancing ect.

Marked for Death Game Mode

Marked for Death Pro Game Mode

Pilot Skirmish Game Mode

Frontier Defence Game Mode

Private Matches (TBH, should have been there from the start, so you could call that a patch)

New Insignias

New Unlockable OS Voices

Deadly Ground Game Mode Stipulation

DLC Maps Added to Circulation

Now on to the point

Given that Battlefront's season pass doesn't offer much more (IMO) that Titanfall's did, what do think the odds are that Battlefront will have this much added to the game for free? Not a chance. EA and DICE simply can't afford to not lock this stuff behind the season pass to help justify it's cost. I'm not saying DICE aren't gonna improve the game, but it'll be the kind of patching and general improvements that are necessary and always, nothing extra. Being a seasonal EA game, DICE will inevitably be kept busy with these bug fixes and balancing. Titanfall was developed by Respawn who weren't exactly very busy in year post Titanfall except for post launch support on that game, not like DICE who'll be working on at least one other Battlefront and probably a new Battlefield over the next few years. DICE won't have the time nor the budget to develop the equivalent of what we got for free in Titanfall and the amount of DLC to justify that kind of cost of that season pass planned for Battlefront separately, there's just no way.

This coupled with new Battlefronts already announced means the post launch support of Battlefront is going to suck. That is my prediction. That's something EA were actually doing pretty the last year or two. What a shame.

Titanfall also added in ranked seasons for free.

I have a feeling they are going to annualize the game because they already know the player base will be dead after about 6 months, which is around when E3 is, just in time to announce a new battlefront! Wow, isn't that just the darndest coincidence?

Business wise, its pretty smart, especially if your product is actually good (which battlefront is not). As for treating your customers it's pretty bullshit

Brokensteel119 and Mexiguy like this

DICE who'll be working on at least one other Battlefront and probably a new Battlefield over the next few years. DICE won't have the time nor the budget to develop the equivalent of what we got for free in Titanfall and the amount of DLC to justify that kind of cost of that season pass planned for Battlefront separately, there's just no way.

This coupled with new Battlefronts already announced means the post launch support of Battlefront is going to suck. That is my prediction. That's something EA were actually doing pretty the last year or two. What a shame.

To true, in addition to that they have also got Mirrors Edge Catalyst coming in February, literally the only thing coming from EA/DICE that I'm even remotely exited about, event that is 6 years to late!  

Apparently at least free maps are coming

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/start-of-your-star-wars-adventure

Guess this game wasn't selling as well as they hoped.

Gotta give them credit, this is kinda cool, but this clearly was not developed in a week, so it's not a separate pack intended as a freebie. This is part of the full game that wasn't ready for launch so just release it a little later and call it a free DLC pack instead. The stuff I mentioned for Titanfall was developed for post launch and released weeks or months later, this is clearly not. Don't get me wrong, this may not be post launch support as I talked about, but I am grateful they put this in for free.

Gotta give them credit, this is kinda cool, but this clearly was not developed in a week, so it's not a separate pack intended as a freebie. This is part of the full game that wasn't ready for launch so just release it a little later and call it a free DLC pack instead. The stuff I mentioned for Titanfall was developed for post launch and released weeks or months later, this is clearly not. Don't get me wrong, this may not be post launch support as I talked about, but I am grateful they put this in for free.

My feeling is this game needed more time in development, but they wanted to get it out before the new film in December. This would explain the lack of content and the "free" DLC. It doesn't justify it by any means, but makes sense none the less. A year from now when I'm assuming all or most of the DLC is released we may finally have a good game. As it stands now... not worth its asking price imo.

Not sure if this is legit, but i think it is (If someone can confirm it it would be nice)

http://swbstats.com/

This tells the average online players of Battlefront.

Now, for a game that supposedly sold millions and a star wars game, i feel this player count is pretty low, specially when it almost has as many players as 

Battlefield 4.

Yesterday the player count was on 19.000 and BF4 was on 25.000 when i looked it up, kind  of disappointing,

There are starting to be matches that are empty because no one plays that game mode enough, i can tell that because it happens to me a lot.

After playing this game for abit i can tell now its gonna be dead in a couple of months.

I cant get over how bad and boring it is glad i only rented it (and took it back early).

The numbers are already falling. I talked to a few guys I work with and some friends who still work in gamestop, people are trading the game in already because they're bored of it and 2 guys I work with have stopped playing it. 

When the movie comes out it will get a boost in numbers again I'm sure but I don't think it will be to busy come the summer time.