• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

GreenLeaf

Fan Favorite PS2 Games on PS4

32 posts in this topic

Shuhei Yoshida:

Hello everyone. As we continue our celebration of the PlayStation 20th anniversary, we want to take a look back at the heritage that helped propel us to the brand that we are today. PlayStation 2 holds a special place in the hearts of many gamers who have fond memories of playing some of the biggest franchises in gaming.

PS2 remains the best-selling console of all time, thanks in part to the revolutionary tech built into the box, such as support for the DVD format for games and movies, a powerful graphics processor, and specialized chips for particle effects and physics. Above and beyond the technical innovations that made PS2 stand apart is the huge catalog of amazing and much loved games, such as Dark Cloud, Twisted Metal: Black, and the PS2-era classic Grand Theft Auto games, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, just to name a few. 

To celebrate our PS2 heritage, I’m excited to announce that starting tomorrow, you will be able to purchase and play PS2 games on your PS4 via PlayStation Store in the Americas and Europe.
We are getting things started with a bang by launching with eight fan favorites tomorrow:

Dark Cloud — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
The Mark of Kri — $14.99
Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
War of the Monsters — $9.99

Having these titles available on PS4 is already incredibly exciting for us, but we did not stop there. We have brought these titles forward to meet today’s gaming standards by adding Trophy support! Each title’s Trophy set has been carefully developed in conjunction with feedback from the original creators to be sure that they capture the spirit and feeling of each game.

Also, you will be able to experience all of these PS2 games like never before — in up-rendered 1080p with the features you expect from a PS4 game including Remote Play, Live Broadcast, Share Play, Activity Feeds, and Second Screen support for game manuals with PlayStation Vita or PlayStation App.

And if you’re attending PlayStation Experience in San Francisco this weekend, you’ll be able to play these PS2 games on PS4 at the show floor:

Dark Cloud
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
PaRappa the Rapper 2 (coming soon)
Rogue Galaxy
The King of Fighters 2000 (coming soon)
The Mark of Kri
War of the Monsters

We will be working tirelessly to bring you your favorite PS2 games with new releases on a regular basis, and we hope you love playing PS2 games on PS4 as much as we did making them! So tell us, what PS2 games do you want to play on your PS4?

Can't use PS2 disks after all then...

Fuck you Sony!

EDIT: That is also asking allot in terms of money for games that old.

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

I'm perplexed by people thinking they were going to allow PS2 disks to work on the PS4 itself. Ultimately I understand the disappointment of having of course to pay money for something you own yet the PS2 and PS4 are two different things entirely and don't even run remotely on the same hardware. It's comparing apple and oranges really. Same reason why PS3 couldn't run disks except for the original 80 GB version. If they were to allow a disk base emulation all ready installed into the PS4 (which there isn't) the systems pricing would be as bad as the PS3 was at launch.

So yeah sucks to rebuy the games you own but at the same time how the hell did you expect them to actually make PS2 disks work with it when the didn't even get PS2 disks to work on PS3 besides one variant of that system that allowed it?

PS3 games I would question more then anything else. Some PS3 backward compatibility similar to how Xbone is doing with 360 stuff since PSNow is a colossus failure. But PS2, yeah that never was going to allow disks.

One thing people should notice about these PS2 games running on PS4, is the 1080p up-rendered visuals, the trophy support, etc... Clearly Sony (or whoever reworked the emulation for the titles) have put alot of effort into them.............so to those of you who think this sucks, best thing to do is move on and ignore them, or you could buy them and enjoy them for what they are, I know I will be picking up a few of them.

One thing people should notice about these PS2 games running on PS4, is the 1080p up-rendered visuals, the trophy support, etc... Clearly Sony (or whoever reworked the emulation for the titles) have put alot of effort into them.............so to those of you who think this sucks, best thing to do is move on and ignore them, or you could buy them and enjoy them for what they are, I know I will be picking up a few of them.

Uprez and Trophy Support does not make digital versions of over ten year-old game worth $15 for me. I haven't bought a PS2 classic on the PS3 for that much, and will wait for them to go on sale for under $10 before I buy any of these games that I'm interested in. Looking at you Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy.

Video has strong language:

Can't remember, but I think he drops the N-Word, maybe not.

fifteen dollars might be a lot OR we can look at the alternative which is trying to find some of said games in today's world on the PS2 system in good to near new (Yes PC you can probably find it cheaper but they are calling it PS2 classics so focusing on PS2 pricing. Good condition is still also Used I'm just not going lower then Good because from my experience with games under or below the quality of 'Good' can't play or have something wrong with them):

Dark Cloud — $60 and up

Grand Theft Auto III — $15
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $20
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — around $18
Rogue Galaxy — $54
The Mark of Kri — Between $10 to $20
Twisted Metal: Black — $8
War of the Monsters — $83

This is going off on averaging and mostly in good or near new condition yes but a digital variant is basically new. So technically for some of these games that fifteen dollars is pretty cheap. The only games I found to be under priced compared to that fifteen dollar mark were Twisted Metal: Black, and the Grand Theft Autos on Amazon due to them doing some special price cut deal. Ten dollars for War of the Monsters is a fucking deal compared to the prices I found for it.

Truth of the matter is that really they averaged out a reasonable price from what these games go for near new or good condition. I'm not trying to entirely defend the practice but some people need to also know that the actual disks themselves, the original games are pretty much around these prices except for the reallyrare ones which you are getting a good deal on. I'm not saying all are going to be good deals but judging from what I've found, the pricing isn't all that different from what to expect if you were to purchase these games on disk in this day.

Look... I just want Final Fantasy XII and the promised Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits that was in the trailer...

likes this

I want the OG Monster Hunter and FFXII, they were both major highlights to my PS2.

fifteen dollars might be a lot OR we can look at the alternative which is trying to find some of said games in today's world on the PS2 system in good to near new (Yes PC you can probably find it cheaper but they are calling it PS2 classics so focusing on PS2 pricing. Good condition is still also Used I'm just not going lower then Good because from my experience with games under or below the quality of 'Good' can't play or have something wrong with them):

Dark Cloud — $60 and up

Rogue Galaxy — $54

This is going off on averaging and mostly in good or near new condition yes but a digital variant is basically new. So technically for some of these games that fifteen dollars is pretty cheap. The only games I found to be under priced compared to that fifteen dollar mark were Twisted Metal: Black, and the Grand Theft Autos on Amazon due to them doing some special price cut deal. Ten dollars for War of the Monsters is a fucking deal compared to the prices I found for it.

Truth of the matter is that really they averaged out a reasonable price from what these games go for near new or good condition. I'm not trying to entirely defend the practice but some people need to also know that the actual disks themselves, the original games are pretty much around these prices except for the reallyrare ones which you are getting a good deal on. I'm not saying all are going to be good deals but judging from what I've found, the pricing isn't all that different from what to expect if you were to purchase these games on disk in this day.

Which is why you don't see me going to buy those. If I did, I'd hunt down a sealed just for collecting purposes and never open it.

When they do a PSN Sale for those titles, they'll be below $10, or hopefully even below $5, that's when I'll buy what I want from what they have.

WITHASTICK likes this

NOT MY PROBLEM! STILL HAVE MY OLD FAT PS3 AND PS2!

thug-life.gif

Dark Cloud — $60 and up

Rogue Galaxy — $54

I don't know where you've been shopping but I can easily pick up tidy second hand copies of most of those games for about £2 - £3 and a console for about £20.  The prices of these are ridiculous.

EDIT:  Even the rarer games like Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy and War of the Monsters are on Ebay from about £15-£20. Whoever is selling them at $60+ is taking the piss they are NOT worth that much.

NOT MY PROBLEM! STILL HAVE MY OLD FAT PS3 AND PS2!

thug-life.gif

Same here, I was just hoping that I could finally put away the PS2 and have some free space and stuff.

Same here, I was just hoping that I could finally put away the PS2 and have some free space and stuff.

ARE YOU INSANE?!?! DON'T GET RID OF IT!

Unless you're not selling it, then disregard this message.

Here is DigitalFoundry's frame-rate comparison of GTA: San Andreas on PS4, PS2 and the recent remaster on PS3.

ARE YOU INSANE?!?! DON'T GET RID OF IT!

Unless you're not selling it, then disregard this message.

No, I meant put it back in the box and put it in storage.

Here is DigitalFoundry's frame-rate comparison of GTA: San Andreas on PS4PS2 and the recent remaster on PS3.

Updated comparison:

I hope they bring more classics to ps4 like shadows of the colossus, MGS 2 and 3, Beyond good and evil. And some of the ps2 classics still holds to day and now a new generation of gamers how have not played these titels before have a chance.

I believe Sony was asking folks to tweet what games they'd like to see on PS4. Use the hashtag #ps2onps4

I'm perplexed by people thinking they were going to allow PS2 disks to work on the PS4 itself.

That's not that farfetched.. XBox One's backward compatible lets you put the original disc in then download the digital copy without paying for it again.

This is just nostalgia.

Even if you could put the discs into the console... the chances of you actually playing the game beyond 30 mins and properly completing it are pretty much zero.

By the 30 min mark you'll get bored...the nostalgia would have worn off... you'll realise how much better newer games there are to play and within an instant...

The closest next best ps4 game lying next to you will be inserted back into the console and that ps2 disc will sit on the coffee table for the next 4 weeks...

To remind yourself of your nostalgia. Then you might repeat the process and play it for another 30 mins and the cycle continues.

No amount of ps4 greatness is going to make those old ps2 games a new experience.

Get over it.

This is just nostalgia.

Even if you could put the discs into the console... the chances of you actually playing the game beyond 30 mins and properly completing it are pretty much zero.

By the 30 min mark you'll get bored...the nostalgia would have worn off... you'll realise how much better newer games there are to play and within an instant...

The closest next best ps4 game lying next to you will be inserted back into the console and that ps2 disc will sit on the coffee table for the next 4 weeks...

To remind yourself of your nostalgia. Then you might repeat the process and play it for another 30 mins and the cycle continues.

No amount of ps4 greatness is going to make those old ps2 games a new experience.

Get over it.

What would you say about those who haven't played those games before and don't have their older systems anymore? The backwards compatibility on my PS3 let me play the first Killzone online. I also finished a few PS2 games on the system. I still have a big backlog of PS2 games myself, and when I get around to them, I'll be playing them on the fat PS3 as I already unplugged my PS2.

It also explains why people bought that Rare Collection for the X1. Play games that they missed or weren't able to play when they originally came out.

Even on Steam, there are games from the PS1 era like Soul Reaver which I just finished last year. I have a bunch of recently released games on there too, but I'm playing ones that came out years ago before getting to the newer ones.

What you said applies to people who have played the older games and want to replay them; there are those who actually DO replay and finish those older games. Also remember that on the PC side there's GOG.com which sells games from decades ago and have them work on current systems.

There's little to no downside to having backwards compatibility on a console as far as the consumer is concerned.

fridgeracer likes this

@fridgeracer: Ride to Hell: Redemption. Watch Dogs. Assassin's Creed: Liberation.

Newer does not always mean better.

I'd rather revisit the Persona series any day.

Psykogrl and Mr_E_Meatshield like this

There's little to no downside to having backwards compatibility on a console as far as the consumer is concerned.

Precisely... as far as the consumer is concerned.

Sony already made a major loss on the ps3 and really needed to make ends meet on the ps4.

So they designed a console with a completely different architecture in order to ease development time and costs and to also allow them to manufacture the console cheap... in order to sell it to us cheap... because cheap certainly shifts units. Expensive doesn't.

With that in mind... there is probably a technical fundamental reason why it is not possible to play ps2 discs on the ps4.

Let's not forgot that the xbox one still does not actually play the games off the disc like a native xbox 360... it simply says "he has the disc, so he can download the game and play it off the drive and I will emulate that game".

So I'm guessing because of sonys internals in the ps4 it's not possible to read ps2 discs. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that's the main reason why.

You simply cannot cater to everyone. Do you continue to focus on new and better current gen games for your console or do you focus on reliving the past with endless amounts of remastered and old ps2 re-releases?

Sonys future will never depend on catering to the minority of people who are he'll bent on backwards compatibility. The majority of ps4 gamers simply want new and better games to play... not older ones.

It's certainly a nice thing to have backwards compatibility but it isn't going to help Sonys financial end at all... especially if they just let you play the games for free and go through the trouble of providing access to thousands of games on their servers for you to download for absolutely free so long as you have the disc.

Microsoft is probably doing that because they already know they totally lost the consumer and the gamer this generation and will never beat Sony on sales or profit... so catering with the things people want and demand is something they have to do for damage control purposes in order to set their reputation up well for the 9th generation of consoles.

Sony has won this time around. There's no real need for them to cater to the minority and there's certainly no financial gain involved either.

WITHASTICK likes this

Sony has won this time around. There's no real need for them to cater to the minority and there's certainly no financial gain involved either.

Isn't that sort of what happened to Microsoft with their initial X1 plans and Sony on the PS3's initial release? They just thought that because they won their respective previous generations that they could do pretty much anything and the consumer will go with it. Companies should always keep in mind what their consumer wants.

You simply cannot cater to everyone. Do you continue to focus on new and better current gen games for your console or do you focus on reliving the past with endless amounts of remastered and old ps2 re-releases?

Sonys future will never depend on catering to the minority of people who are he'll bent on backwards compatibility. The majority of ps4 gamers simply want new and better games to play... not older ones.

We can't even say they want their customers to focus on newer games as they have a service that's specifically for playing older games: Playstation Now. Sony bought Gaikai and PS Now is what they're doing with it. I think they've released over 100 games on the service already, all previous generation games, playable on the PS3, Vita, PS4, Bravia TV's; even my Samsung Smart TV has a PS Now app. They make quite a big deal out of it when they add games to the service too.

It's more plausible that they don't want some sort of backwards compatibility to affect sales of the PS Now service along with Playstation Classics sales on the PSN. With those around and making them money, they're not going to make some sort of emulator solution for backwards compatibility either.

Sony doesn't exactly listen to what majority of their customers want very well to begin with anyway. If they did, #BetterPSN wouldn't have happened. But it did happen, Sony's response was to express the concerns and suggestions in the Official Playstation blog, and did pretty much nothing with them.

This is just nostalgia.

Get over it.

I'm replying Final Fantasy XII on PC (emulated) and I've clocked about 45 hours now. The reason I'm doing it there rather than on PS4 was because I already own the game and I think the price of repurchase is unreasonable, but I would rather play on PS4 if I could.

My £2000 supercomputer should NOT be necessary to play old games I already have for free boosted to higher resolutions, hell even IT stutters from time to time under emulation. The very fact that stable versions of these games are available on PS4 at all proves that they CAN do the same thing that Microsoft are doing with the XBox One and 360 games, there is no technical issue.

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

Old games have no quality beyond nostalgia? That's gotta be the dumbest thing I've read for some time. I guess GoG's doomed to failure.. oh wait, they grew to the point where they're expanding to what steam does now.

I agree about backwards compatibility being something people should stop expecting though, albeit for different reasons.

The thing is sony kinda shot themselves in the foot with the ps2's hardware, and even more with the ps3... The xbox was always very similar to a PC, and as such being backwards compatible from each iteration wasn't really that difficult.. the ps2's emotion engine on the otherhand is a clusterfuck of hardware. It has more than ram, a cpu, a gpu, and a soundcard.. Just as an example, it has 2 chips that act as both a gpu and a cpu, but only one at at ime, and you have to manually order them to 'transform' from one to another, and you can't have one act as a cpu and the other a gpu, they both can only act as one at a time. what the fuck. If I recall correctly, there were 7 different processors  in the emotion engine, and they all had specialized tasks, and 2 of htem are those weird transforming ones I was talkinga bout.

Being backwards compatible with a hardware setup like that is kinda stupid, which is why the ps3 was so fucking overpriced to begin with, and prone to hardware issues, and why they dumped that feature...

The ps3's cell processor is even more fucked up. But I don't know the details since I never coded on one at all, but from what the dude who taught me how to code on the ps2 says, it's even worse... So again, I dont' think being backwards compatible is simply an issue of installing the old system software on your new hardware and expecting it to work  with a few address changes.

Given they decided to make the ps4 easier to work with in mind, hopefully that means it'll be easier for the potential ps5 to be compatible with it too.