• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ancient

Fallout 4 - What faction did you choose? (spoilers)

17 posts in this topic

Which faction did you support the most in Fallout 4?

My playtrough and opinion is below.

(SPOILERS BELOW)

I felt such conflict going trough Fallout 4's main story line for the first time, firstly, i supported the Minuteman, then, i felt the urge to kill kelogg. So i did, and i found my first real interesting faction soon afterwards, the Brotherhood of steel, while at first i discarded them, i couldn't resist getting on that air balloon the first time i saw it. But i felt like i was betraying the railroad who i had discovered earlier, but i did not relies they where a major faction before. As soon as i learned the intention of the BoS, i found out they where in conflict with the railroad's ideals and vise versa. But funny enough, they both despised the Institute. So i went on and build up my massive crudge agains't the institute, but, i felt conflicted, The brotherhood tag along to cleanse the commonwealth of filth, and scavage goody tech, with they themselfs thinking they are paving the way for civilization to grow. Yet, the railroad want's to save the "Human like" or "Conscious" or "self aware" synths, which is also a noble objective, but perhaps less productive for the future, as it is unknown what gen 3 synths are capable off (make replicas?).

So there i went, trying to help both factions as much as i could, up until the moment the BoS wanted to move on the institute, and so i build the so called device needed to get myself in there. When i did i was expecting resistance, since my service to both factions must have caught the institute's awareness. Yet it had presented me with a child, and a old man (Feels insert here from that moment on). Me and my questionable nature, forced me to question the old man about everything the institute was doing. While the info was quite limited, i felt a certain pitty, and decided to give them, as i did the others, a chance, so i went on to do all faction quests at once, not knowing which one i should support, the BoS became more fanatic, the railroad became shady as fuck, and surprisingly the institute became more open to me the more i helped them. Also presenting me with more and more info on why they do the things they do. All in all, the only factions i believe have a chance to help the commonwealth and beyond are: the Brotherhood of steel, and the institute.

As i understand

The brotherhood is one of the most advanced factions in East united states, they have been growing significantly since the events of Fallout 3. They scavange all the prewar goodies, to advance them self's and keep others from tinkering with the toys. Also cleansing all post war "filth" Believing they are doing humanity a favor by avoiding another doomsday event at all costs.

The institute is an isolated faction, trying to expand with the help of there toys "Synths", being extremely efficient in scavenging and gaining a presence on the commonwealth, they are highly advanced, and have the capabilities to soon reach a point where they could recreate the wastes itself (Just like gecks, or so they made me believe that) and use there toys to do the hard and dangerous work for them. They are a more "The future" kind of group just like the BoS, but are thinking more ahead with there tech.

As i understand, the railroad is a group, made out of synths and humans trying to destroy the institute and simply wants to save the gen 3 synths, and destroy anyone who opposes that goal, regarding them as equals to humans, due to the synths ability to gain consciousness. As soon as the brotherhood arrived, they immediately went hostile learning of there intentions, as did the BoS.

Ultimately, i went with the institute and destroyed the other two factions, because i believe the other factions will not contribute quite enough to actually make a huge difference in the commonwealth and beyond, even though the Brotherhood has a good chance, they are too zealot-ish and egoistical and that makes them blind to certain things. I was quite surprised by the institute, the way they view things, and why, they don't seem evil, they are just smart, and egoistical, when it comes to self preservence, or atleast, that's what i noticed. They let me believe they truly have the capability to change the wastes with there technology, and are willing to apply it, for the good of all, with extreme caution. (AI Takeover anyone?) In the end, you become the head of the institute, the leader it needs. They are told to do as you say, so that means you can order them to be more passive and help people along the way by instigating them to release the past methods used arguing they where obsolete. If they are so advanced as they seem, the best option would have been to help them since the beginning, because of the assumption they are the best hope of a "pre-war world" (Or modern post war world) Assuming they achieve a means to use as minimal raw resources as possible and are able to create artificial resources anytime in the future. Because that would be ideal. And i personally don't believe the BoS or any other faction could possibly achieve such level anytime in the next 200 years.

This is what I understood while playing, you might have other opinions or found other info about the factions i am unaware off. So please, who did you go with ultimately?

I chose The brotherhood of steel because all my other fallouts i sided with them and i wanted to keep the traditon

both minutemen and bos

My primary choice was BoS, and went back to do the others for achievements

While I've been a long-time BoS guy, I couldn't bring myself to support them in this game. If anything, to me, they're the game's main antagonists, because they essentially want to commit genocide by destroying ALL synths. It's not the fault of the BoS at large, though. It's this new elder. He's a fucking moron who shoots first and asks questions later, and it's because of his ineptitude and idiocy I'm being forced to kill good men and women who are just following his orders. It hurts me deeply every time I have to kill a scribe or an initiate. 

I can't help but wonder what's happened to the Lyons, as I haven't seen them. I have a sickening feeling this new guy had them killed or exiled in a bid for power. It's also worth noting that the Brotherhood has gone from the more open-minded and protective mindset we saw under the Lyons back to the "Old" ideals of hoarding technology and scorning the locals. Except now not only do they do that, they move openly to crush anything they decide they don't like. 

Under Maxson's lead, the Brotherhood are tech-nazis. Quite literally. And the synths are jews. 

The Institute is marginally better. I really believe that they DO have humanity's best interests at heart. They want to make humanity better, even if maybe they're going about it in the wrong way. However, the way they treat synths is despicable. I can understand why they treat them the way they do, given they've gotten used to the mindlessness and complete obedience of earlier-gen synths, but Gen 3 synths are human in everything but name, and to treat them the way they do is disgusting, and I can't support that sort of behavior. I will fight the Institute where necessary to free the gen 3's, but no more. 

Given the tirades I've given about the other two factions, you've probably guessed that I support the Railroad, and I do. They're the only people who understand the situation at hand, honestly, and while they do get a tad shady sometimes, it's all for the greater good. Unlike the Brotherhood, they know what they're doing in the area, and they never jump into a situation without being prepared and knowing what's going on. Unlike the Institute, they're not blinded by their own history. 

The Railroad are the only logical choice, in my mind, the only sane and unbiased group. I'll try the other groups as I roleplay characters more fitting to their goals, but I've already explained how I feel about them personally. 

The Minutemen will pretty much just do whatever I ask so I dunno if they really count. They're good folk, though.

Raspharus likes this

I chose the Minuteman as I believe they are the only faction who actually cares about the well-being of the entire commonwealth. Here are the reasons why I didn't join the other factions.

Institute- I have no problem with synths, however the institute seems to only want to sit in their bunker and experiment and not share their technology with the commonwealth like Liam Neeson did in Fallout 3. Not to mention the institute has abused their synths so much, the fact that they deny that they have created synths with emotions just shows how out of touch they are with what they are doing. Anyone who hangs out with synths like Nick Valentine and SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!! ABOUT COMPANIONS  Danse  will quickly realize that synths do have emotions and don't deserve to be treated as slaves.  

Brotherhood- The brotherhood always seems nice and under good leadership they have the potential to bring about great change to the wasteland. However the Brotherhood only seems considered with acquiring advanced technology, they don't care if raiders kill an entire settlement as long as they don't use advanced technology to do so. 

The Railroad- While I can sympathise with the Railroad they are just way too stubborn. They only care about liberating synths and don't consider the other repercussions of their actions at any point. Add to that the fact that when they might need t have a synth or two killed in orde to bring down the institute as a whole they refuse to do what's better for the commonwealth as a whole.

As usual there is no faction in a Fallout game which I believe is perfect which I'm sure was intentional when creating the game. 

Raspharus likes this

Man fuck them synths. They don't know the pain and humiliation of over 2 billion years of humanity.

Just goes to show you, our morality and our emotions lead to us fucking everything up.

I have a question for you guys, can I join all factions without locking out content so that I could do everything with one character like in Skyrim? This is the first Fallout that im actually playing (started others but, never went back to them) and I havent joined a group. Except the minutemen, somehow I joined them. But, I would like to take most of what Fallout 4 has to offer, eventually, without making multiple characters because I got locked off, just dont have the time for that. So can I?

I have a question for you guys, can I join all factions without locking out content so that I could do everything with one character like in Skyrim? This is the first Fallout that im actually playing (started others but, never went back to them) and I havent joined a group. Except the minutemen, somehow I joined them. But, I would like to take most of what Fallout 4 has to offer, eventually, without making multiple characters because I got locked off, just dont have the time for that. So can I?

No, you can't become a BoS Paladin, the Minutemen's general, a high raking member of the Institute and the Railroad's best operator all at the same time, sure you can help out all the factions, but you will have to pick a side for the final fight for control of the commonwealth.

Lightning likes this

No, you can't become a BoS Paladin, the Minutemen's general, a high raking member of the Institute and the Railroad's best operator all at the same time, sure you can help out all the faction, but you will have to pick a side for the final fight for control of the commonwealth.

Ah, I see, I dont really have issues with this. My concern was if I joined the brotherhood would I be completely locked out of joining their rivals and not going through their story line and so on and so forth with the other groups. Thanks, guess I'll carry on and officially join factions now.

While I've been a long-time BoS guy, I couldn't bring myself to support them in this game. If anything, to me, they're the game's main antagonists, because they essentially want to commit genocide by destroying ALL synths. It's not the fault of the BoS at large, though. It's this new elder. He's a fucking moron who shoots first and asks questions later, and it's because of his ineptitude and idiocy I'm being forced to kill good men and women who are just following his orders. It hurts me deeply every time I have to kill a scribe or an initiate. 

I can't help but wonder what's happened to the Lyons, as I haven't seen them. I have a sickening feeling this new guy had them killed or exiled in a bid for power. It's also worth noting that the Brotherhood has gone from the more open-minded and protective mindset we saw under the Lyons back to the "Old" ideals of hoarding technology and scorning the locals. Except now not only do they do that, they move openly to crush anything they decide they don't like. 

Under Maxson's lead, the Brotherhood are tech-nazis. Quite literally. And the synths are jews. 

The Institute is marginally better. I really believe that they DO have humanity's best interests at heart. They want to make humanity better, even if maybe they're going about it in the wrong way. However, the way they treat synths is despicable. I can understand why they treat them the way they do, given they've gotten used to the mindlessness and complete obedience of earlier-gen synths, but Gen 3 synths are human in everything but name, and to treat them the way they do is disgusting, and I can't support that sort of behavior. I will fight the Institute where necessary to free the gen 3's, but no more. 

Given the tirades I've given about the other two factions, you've probably guessed that I support the Railroad, and I do. They're the only people who understand the situation at hand, honestly, and while they do get a tad shady sometimes, it's all for the greater good. Unlike the Brotherhood, they know what they're doing in the area, and they never jump into a situation without being prepared and knowing what's going on. Unlike the Institute, they're not blinded by their own history. 

The Railroad are the only logical choice, in my mind, the only sane and unbiased group. I'll try the other groups as I roleplay characters more fitting to their goals, but I've already explained how I feel about them personally. 

The Minutemen will pretty much just do whatever I ask so I dunno if they really count. They're good folk, though.

To answer your question about the Lyons, in a terminal somewhere on the Prydwen it states that Elder Lyons died of natural causes, and Sarah died in battle.

As for their current status being back to the techy hoarding I think it might be because Maxson broke the peace between Capitol BOS and the Outcasts. And have now joined up in one. As it says in his wiki that is. 

To answer your question about the Lyons, in a terminal somewhere on the Prydwen it states that Elder Lyons died of natural causes, and Sarah died in battle.

As for their current status being back to the techy hoarding I think it might be because Maxson broke the peace between Capitol BOS and the Outcasts. And have now joined up in one. As it says in his wiki that is. 

Well I mean if he HAD had them killed I doubt he'd tell the brotherhood at large.

I dunno, he's just one of those characters where I get a very distinct feeling that he's not a good person. Sort of like I did with Mr. House in New Vegas. 

Really? they just killed them off? I heard the lone wanderer left the capital wasteland a few years before the events of F4. Bethesda DLC pls. (Or Obsidian make game pls?)

No, you can't become a BoS Paladin, the Minutemen's general, a high raking member of the Institute and the Railroad's best operator all at the same time, sure you can help out all the faction, but you will have to pick a side for the final fight for control of the commonwealth.

New Vegas did this better in my opinion. With the wildcard option, even with a faction preference i felt like none deserved control, even though i basically conquered the commonwealth by becoming the institutes leader and all, didn't feel as good and rewarding ultimately.

Well I mean if he HAD had them killed I doubt he'd tell the brotherhood at large.

I dunno, he's just one of those characters where I get a very distinct feeling that he's not a good person. Sort of like I did with Mr. House in New Vegas. 

Who doesn't love mr.house despite what your gut tells you? He is the goodest person in all the mojave wasteland!  :huh:

Ok now it's my turn. I managed to see the face of 2 major factions excluding the Institute. 

First I went up with the BoS, after all they are an organized army, they also have supplies, and they also want to somehow save the wasteland. But purging it. Not the best method ever, but it can work I guess. What I didn't like about them was the fact that they seemed to have too much of a nazi attitude. But then again, guys it's an army, it is to be expected after all. 

Then I decided to stick a little bit with the railroad out of curiosity. Now these guys, they are... weird so to speak. They want to free synths and that's basically it. Their leader Desdemona, reminded me of the Dark Brotherhood's leader from Skyrim. She doesn't seem to care much about other's lives, heck not even her life. The other guys were more okay(tinker tom remains an unforgettable one).

As I progressed I also felt the despise for the Institute mainly because I didn't knew much about them. Or because I only knew the bad thing that they have done to the people. And I kept being reserved until the very end. If we are to take each faction and consider it from a good/evil standpoint, we can easily see that the Minuteman(funny eh?) come on top. The BoS just wants to destroy everything, and they don't give much of a crap about people. Meaning that they can and will do anything to achieve their goal. They also want to destroy the Institute, even though they do know that those guys have amazing technology. 

The Railroad on the other hand is the most bananas out of all. You want to free synths? As in fucking robots? And they are persons? What are you crazy? Like I get how 3rd gen synths behave almost human-like, but it's a robot after all. I felt kinda bad when i had to wipe the railroad out mainly because they helped me get into the Institute for the first time. But guess what? Apparently Desdemona didn't give much of a crap about her life/the life of her people, so she agreed to become part of the slaughter.

Now why did I choose to remain with the Institute. To be frank, at first I wanted to backstab both the Institute and The Railroad. But apparently the game doesn't kinda let you do it. I didn't like the institute until the very end, don't get me wrong. The way I see the Institute is more like a weapon/tool. Toying with human life, cloning, cyborgs, and human-like machines ain't no joke. And when it comes to synths roaming the wasteland, in my opinion both the Institute and The Railroad share their fault. The Railroad freed and helped the synths, but the Institute made them in the first place. And I understand those servo types the first models that is, which do various chores, or help in battle. But to make human-like androids is a far bigger step. Ok so the railroad is bananas, but what about the Institute? Their motto is to help the wasteland grow. So how did they help it grow? They do have the technology and yet to me it seems like they are doing science for science's sake, not for humanity's sake( aka art for art's sake). Even "Father" said it himself, that he never was very fond of the Commonwealth(when he first saw it). But if you dont like/care about the wasteland, then how the heck are ya gonna help it? Moreover how are human like machines gonna help people that are struggling with daily activities? More like scare them if you ask me.

However I did choose to stay with the Institute even when I was not agreeing with their policy, and even more so when I became the leader of it because of the technology that they had. I mean the whole facility revolves around the leader which was well, me. And considering the fact that I DID want to help the wasteland, I could influence the Institute to follow my way of thinking. Destroying them would've been a mistake, because they do have technology that could help the wasteland a lot.

On Father I have my own theory however. The whole fact that he grew up in the Institute, since he was a toddler, he doesn't remember anything, and that he de-cryoed me after 60 years seems too convenient. Call me paranoid or whatever but it seems waaaay too convenient for him. In the end I always thought Father was just a clone of Shaun. Shaun most likely didn't survive the experiments they had him undergo, and they just used on the DNA samples to create a "better Shaun". Father's sayings may be true(for me to be cryoed for 60 years more) but then again they can also be dead wrong. Clones generally do age faster(MGS anyone? Solid Snake?) and the whole kidnapping seemed perfect for a story. It seems kinda weird for a son to not want to free his father, even after learning the truth about him("I didn't see the point of it").

I think we'd never reach a point of perfect cloning, ever. So, age faster would be a good theory, i believe it cuts life spawn by 1/2 . But what the hell do we know lol. Father did say he was just curious to see what someone which shared his own blood would do, and if perhaps he/she would seek him out, being his/hers son ofcourse. He did however, say he kept a eye on you the whole time since you where out in the commonwealth. Which makes me believe Shaun felt a necessity in you, perhaps emotional, or out of sheer curiosity as he said, since he didn't feel the urge too before. Kind of explains why you awoke in the first place though, seing that the system went in error mode out of the blue when it wasn't supposed too since they where made for endurance.

You wanna know what i think? DLC, yup, you become the leader of the institute,BoS, Railroad + Minuteman (Which you already command lol) and you'll change everything just for 10 - 30 bucks. :P and perhaps kill some aliens.