• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

argetlam350

Ni-Oh

58 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Mr_E_Meatshield said:

I unlocked the shuriken, even the fire and I think lightning ninjitsu majic thing. But have no idea how to equip them.

You first have to go to a shrine and look for the option of Ready Jutsu.

Once you do that, you can find the prepared items in your inventory and place them in one of your inventory slots.

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

Been playing, blew through the first section and then got to the high grass area....my ass got kicked. Freakin' demons generating their own fields mixed with ninjas.......

I'm liking the changes. The one thing though I think they still need to work on are the bosses. Now I don't mind challenging bosses, after the Souls series I want all bosses to be in some form challenging BUT the bosses in Nioh feel like they rely on the player to just be lucky then just purely on skill or understanding a fight and overly artificially difficult then just difficult or challenging. The first boss, not so much a big problem with this, though they really need to make it unable to throw the giant metal balls behind its back if you get behind him during that attack. Doesn't look right nor make sense that he can throw that thing like a pitcher when you are direction behind him.

The second boss however where luck seems to play. If the boss paralyzes you pretty much 90% of the time you are SOL because she can then just beat the crap out of you and depending on your stamina at that moment she will then stun you which pretty much means you are going to die. So you pretty much can not get paralyzed in the fight at all unless you are really far away from her. Heck in general you have to pretty much dodge all of her attacks if you want to even beat her since all her combos will drain your stamina quick and she has such a quick recovery time that you have to keep a distance if you don't want to be stunned. Her spin attack you just have to block, you can not dodge that attack in its entirety. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've tried and it just isn't possible. Overall I just wish this possible couldn't one stun kill you since it is quite annoying when it happens, which is often. Once you get the fight down it isn't so bad but the first few attempts are frustrating. Spears seem to be the safest bet on her.

The final boss is probably where really most of the RANDOM complain I have comes it. This boss is entirely over the top. Your on your own on this fight, no summon can help you for it. This guy hits like a tank and has hyper armor on all of his attacks so he isn't getting stunned anytime soon during the fight. Blocking is pretty much pointless because he takes off so much stamina in one hit that you are going to get close to being stunned and this guy attacks relentlessly with little time to regain stamina or even hit him. So dodging is your best bet BUT again he is so fast that you pretty much have to have dodging down to a science, you are better off just kiting around the large rock in the arena and trying to hit him whenever you can.

Overall the game is fun but the bosses feel more like a chore then an actual challenge. I understand these guys make the Ninja Giaden series as well, which is extremely challenging in its own right (whether in a cheap way or not is up to you) but the bosses here just feel so cheap at times and feel way to artificially difficult rather then just being a challenge. They need to change that or make the stunned delay way shorter, maybe both because holy crap being stunned takes forever to get out of.

I haven't tried the twilight stuff yet (the hard variant of areas) which adds in new stronger enemies. I've heard some of the new enemies feel to be in cheap places but I'll see for myself when I can.

Yeah, shirukens are in the 'shortcut' section of your equipment menu after you enable them with 'ready jitsu' in the save shine thing. That said, last time I thought shirukens are good to pull enemies out of large packs, and it sitll is, but it wont be long before you can effectively do the same thing with a bow or something. Though it's not a complete waste since you need to get em for flame shirukens which were really great at killing cyclops in the alpha, and in the beta.. well they're op against the first living wall enemy, but it didn't do squat against the second, not sure why. 

Anyway I played a few hours last night, I forgot how fun this game is. As for the changes.. what I've noticed.

1: Spending the last of your stamina no longer turns you into a useless sitting duck for 3 seconds. This makes it easier, but I think it's a bit too much of a difference. Maybe make it so you simply move at half speed for a second or two would be fine...

2: However should you lose health while you're at no stamina. You're pretty much dead. You're a sitting duck for like effing 10 seconds, if you get hit you get hit hard, and you'll fall down, and you can't get up in a fashion where you roll or dodge quickly as you get up. No you get up like some arthritic senior before finally being able to move, and there are no iframes.. so you're going to get hit AGAIN (and again if you somehow are alive still) before you finally get to move. There's no way to survive this unless you let this happen from some enemy that's way below your level/gear range.

3: no durability loss is a thing. I learned to accept it in the alpha but it bothered some people, it's gone now so yay for them. I'm ok either way personally.

4: those friendly mini demon blessing dudes have new locations. I only found 7 out of 9 in the first stage. I kept my eyes open for them as I beat it in a fairly natural pace, but I didn't really hunt for the specifically at any point. That said they seem a bit harder to find since I did manage to find them all the first time without resorting to a guie.

5: some new reforging/re enchanting options. I haven't used it yet so no comment. I'm hoping to get a raikiri again and then try to buff it up further since it's a cool sword.

6: New stages but got rid of the nue-level... I think. maybe it unlocks after the 3rd stage I dunno. Note the 2nd stage is mini.

Anyway I played  thru the first stage again (it did NOT let me skip it despite me having a mark of the conquerer.. after beating it it said I could download the mark, I said ok even though I'm supposed to have it already, it took me to the dlc screen that said it's only available from may something to may something, and that I 'purchased' it already. So I guess I had it. So then I left that screen and it said 'mark of the conqueror is not downloaded, you may download it in the title screen'.. So I went to the title screen, and I see nothing regarding it.. what the heck?!

Anyway I then beat the 2nd mini stage thing. Seemed kinda pointless. I got nothing of note from it, there are no friendly demon things in it.. I dunno. It's fun though so it's all good. I think the boss is kinda cheap though. I never was much of a fan of 'fight 2 relatively fast boss-like enemies at the same time' kinda bosses. They can be tedious sometimes if they refuse to leave openings at the same time.

Now I'm in the 3rd stage. I'd guess I'd be almost done given how damn much I've explored it but given that it must have 2 bosses in one stage from what I can understand, I guess I'm not even halfway done. holy %#@. I'm at the part where cyclops start appearing though however far that is. I think I'm going to backtrack all the way back to the start though because that starting shrine seemed to have a 1 way drop off  leading to it in the back and I  never 'found' that area.. and Id oubt it's further ahead since I keep going down down down down and that hast got to be wayyy too up for me ever to find it by proceeding further (down no doubt).

Also that hot spring thing lookedl ike it had 2 weaponmaster friendly demon things in it, but I don't have them in my shrine, what gives?

Oh yeah, and I think some of the revenants are npc/fake. I recognize some from last time (like in the first stage there's a level 6 one with no armor and a purple sword called 'jo the fisherman'. Was there last time, in the EXACT same spot....Some are also placed very conveniently like they want to make sure the player has some kind of 'spider sense' about a cheap danger. I think some are even named in a way similar to how they died. Too bad I didn't see the enemy I got a raikiri from the first time (I got 2 last time, one of course for beating the nue, but I got one during the first stage from a reverent located just by the doors leading to the 2nd shrine behind the house with the first yoki).

Also, is anyone a Japanese folklore buff? I know what a yokai is, but not a yoki. Is that just a localization tick and they mean to say 'yokai'? Or is there actually a separate kind of demon thing called yoki? They seem kinda more like oni to me than yokai to boot.

33 minutes ago, Ghaleon said:

Yeah, shirukens are in the 'shortcut' section of your equipment menu after you enable them with 'ready jitsu' in the save shine thing. That said, last time I thought shirukens are good to pull enemies out of large packs, and it sitll is, but it wont be long before you can effectively do the same thing with a bow or something. Though it's not a complete waste since you need to get em for flame shirukens which were really great at killing cyclops in the alpha, and in the beta.. well they're op against the first living wall enemy, but it didn't do squat against the second, not sure why. 

Anyway I played a few hours last night, I forgot how fun this game is. As for the changes.. what I've noticed.

1: Spending the last of your stamina no longer turns you into a useless sitting duck for 3 seconds. This makes it easier, but I think it's a bit too much of a difference. Maybe make it so you simply move at half speed for a second or two would be fine...

2: However should you lose health while you're at no stamina. You're pretty much dead. You're a sitting duck for like effing 10 seconds, if you get hit you get hit hard, and you'll fall down, and you can't get up in a fashion where you roll or dodge quickly as you get up. No you get up like some arthritic senior before finally being able to move, and there are no iframes.. so you're going to get hit AGAIN (and again if you somehow are alive still) before you finally get to move. There's no way to survive this unless you let this happen from some enemy that's way below your level/gear range.

3: no durability loss is a thing. I learned to accept it in the alpha but it bothered some people, it's gone now so yay for them. I'm ok either way personally.

4: those friendly mini demon blessing dudes have new locations. I only found 7 out of 9 in the first stage. I kept my eyes open for them as I beat it in a fairly natural pace, but I didn't really hunt for the specifically at any point. That said they seem a bit harder to find since I did manage to find them all the first time without resorting to a guie.

5: some new reforging/re enchanting options. I haven't used it yet so no comment. I'm hoping to get a raikiri again and then try to buff it up further since it's a cool sword.

6: New stages but got rid of the nue-level... I think. maybe it unlocks after the 3rd stage I dunno. Note the 2nd stage is mini.

Anyway I played  thru the first stage again (it did NOT let me skip it despite me having a mark of the conquerer.. after beating it it said I could download the mark, I said ok even though I'm supposed to have it already, it took me to the dlc screen that said it's only available from may something to may something, and that I 'purchased' it already. So I guess I had it. So then I left that screen and it said 'mark of the conqueror is not downloaded, you may download it in the title screen'.. So I went to the title screen, and I see nothing regarding it.. what the heck?!

Anyway I then beat the 2nd mini stage thing. Seemed kinda pointless. I got nothing of note from it, there are no friendly demon things in it.. I dunno. It's fun though so it's all good. I think the boss is kinda cheap though. I never was much of a fan of 'fight 2 relatively fast boss-like enemies at the same time' kinda bosses. They can be tedious sometimes if they refuse to leave openings at the same time.

Now I'm in the 3rd stage. I'd guess I'd be almost done given how damn much I've explored it but given that it must have 2 bosses in one stage from what I can understand, I guess I'm not even halfway done. holy %#@. I'm at the part where cyclops start appearing though however far that is. I think I'm going to backtrack all the way back to the start though because that starting shrine seemed to have a 1 way drop off  leading to it in the back and I  never 'found' that area.. and Id oubt it's further ahead since I keep going down down down down and that hast got to be wayyy too up for me ever to find it by proceeding further (down no doubt).

Also that hot spring thing lookedl ike it had 2 weaponmaster friendly demon things in it, but I don't have them in my shrine, what gives?

Oh yeah, and I think some of the revenants are npc/fake. I recognize some from last time (like in the first stage there's a level 6 one with no armor and a purple sword called 'jo the fisherman'. Was there last time, in the EXACT same spot....Some are also placed very conveniently like they want to make sure the player has some kind of 'spider sense' about a cheap danger. I think some are even named in a way similar to how they died. Too bad I didn't see the enemy I got a raikiri from the first time (I got 2 last time, one of course for beating the nue, but I got one during the first stage from a reverent located just by the doors leading to the 2nd shrine behind the house with the first yoki).

Also, is anyone a Japanese folklore buff? I know what a yokai is, but not a yoki. Is that just a localization tick and they mean to say 'yokai'? Or is there actually a separate kind of demon thing called yoki? They seem kinda more like oni to me than yokai to boot.

The third stage (or second stage, I don't really count the enemy rush area as a full stage) only has one boss. The third boss is access upon completing that. You are actually rather close to the second boss if you are in the area where that cyclops appear along with the other yoki. The boss is just right pass him.

As for the term Yoki it actually just to seem to be what they are now calling the demons. I don't know why maybe some issue came up or they wanted to be unique.

Oh and the hotspring thing I think is merely a way to recharge health, the little guys are just there to say 'hey it's safe to chill here for a second' is my guess.

played more last night, finished the stage with the bat lady. took several tries because she has this weird ability to make my dodge button not respond sometimes.. it's weird. Like I can dodge her projectiles, her flying airswoop.. everyone complains about her spin attack being undodgeable, but not even that attack was much trouble.. what would happen is that she'd do her 2 melee attacks, and I'd hope for a 3rd since that's a big opening in melee range, and sometimes she'd do it, sometimes she wouldn't.. but like half the times she WOULD do it, I'd mash dodge to the side, and... sometimes I wouldn't dodge. Extremely annoying.

Of course I had a few deaths due to player error such as dodging the pink shouts too early.. taking a few attempts to figure out how to dodge her air-swoop (seems harder to dodge than her regular swoops), etc.

After that I unlocked twilight versions of her stage and that mini stage. but not the first stage.. I want the first stage twilight mode qq.  I'll do that optional boss only dude later. I understand I can cheese him with smokebombs and axes but I wanna kill him legit. but not immediately after spending over an hour on the bat lady, I was 'try boss several times in a row' out for the night.

You can get the twilight version of the first stage, you need to beat the twilight version of the second stage. My guess they did this because they want players to focus more on the new stage rather then the old one from the alpha.

The one thing I hate about the twilight mode is it brings a new enemy, those damn wheelmonks, the flaming tires of death. Royal pain in the butt.

Anyways I've done everything and still the one thing I will show concern about are the bosses. I assumed the bosses yes would be harder in twilight mode (duh) but I thought maybe that meant new moves, different attack patterns but no this is not the case. Instead enemies spawn at certain points in the fight.... WHY? Just why? this doesn't make the fight fun it's annoying. I hated this from Dark Souls 2 with the Lost Sinner and Flexile Sentry. Hell the first stage boss fight literally feels like Flexile Sentry when on twilight because of the damn camera. You have to pray that when you are trying to kill the enemies the boss is doing an easy attack to dodge or you will get screwed and get attacked in the back and more then likely then die due to a sudden tag team. At least by this point of time you should have enough stamina to block full attacks. I really hope though that they change that in the final product because adding enemies in the middle of the fight does not make it challenging it's just making the fight artificially hard because now you have to juggle crap. Also tip of the harpy lady I found out in twilight mode, you can shoot her out of the air, don't know if arrows and bullets work but the hand cannon cannonballs knock her out and will remove that purple bar a little bit so you can stun her for a little bit.

I managed to defeat the third boss guy. I recommend holding off until after the twilight stuff for better gear and such. The main secret with that fight is you need to stun lock him. Stunning him and then doing a killing blow attack does a lot of damage to him (I would do nearly 900 damage. Doing the fight any different seems to just take forever. I also recommend if having it the handcannon. If you don't run right in and sit at the opening of the area, you can shoot him from across the arena, this of course will start the fight but you might be able to get another shot off and take a little more damage off if he doesn't decide to dodge it.

yeah I finished the twilight first stage now and those flame wheels were annoying until I discovered they're *REALLY* weak to kick. like 2 slashes and a kick and they lose their entire ki bar thing.

That said I found the hardest part of the first stage in twilight mode was pretty much the very start. Where you have 2 skeleton archers shooting at you from ledges far away that you can't get to, and you can't really snipe them either since there are 2 of them and they will pelt you before you get to get a shot off on them (unless you aim really fast, I personally can't cuz I'm used to using a mouse and keyboard for fp aiming rather than a controller), and you can't really charge the nearest because if you DO, you'll get rolled over by the first wheelthing. after that I had no issues with the whole stage except for the boss, which wasn't a problem until it was at like 1/3 health and it spawned a skeleton archer off camera that I didn't know about who rapid-shot like 3 arrows and killed me before I even knew there was a @%@#%ing skelly spawn. 2nd time I almost died despite seeing it in advance because it's a skeleton archer, who in this game, have like... more health than a regular grunt, so it ate like a whole combo from me and was still alive meanwhile the boss was about to flatten me so I had to back off and seperate the boss and the archer again , at which point when they finall did, I almost got 1-shot by the boss trying to finish off the skelly because the hitbox of that weird swipe swipe twirling land on its face swipe attack is larger than appears and it mauled me just as I killed the damn skelly.

It's weird, sometimes enemy archers bug out and rapid-fire 2-3 shots in like 1 second, I dunno what's up with that.

Welp, finally rage quit and deleted it. The shurikens are useful for pulling like you guys said. But I couldn't get past that first Ogre Yokai, and I don't want to anymore. You guys have fun with it, it's not for me.

likes this

Awww, I always hate hearing people quit things... unless you weren't enjoying it to begin with, you should have sooner in that case.

Did you use living-weapon on the 'ogre' dude? living weapon kinda makes anything other than a boss way easier, and though you can't go around using it all the time, the next save shrine thing is literally immediately after that ogre, you don't have to kill a single thing after it.

Of course after it, you find out those ogre dudes aren't really minibosses, but 'regular' trash (that doesn't respawn in that stage however).

Beat the demo two nights back and enjoyed every minute of it. Currently beating the Twilight mode and found myself surprised to see new enemies/enemy placement.

New trailer shown at TGS:

EDIT: Some gameplay footage of the snow area we got to see from the trailer:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/09/16/nioh-gameplay-8-minutes-of-the-tgs-2016-demo-tgs-2016

Speaking about the trailer here are a few interesting things:

-The spider woman is a Jorogumo, a type of yokai who would seduce men before wrapping them in her silk and eating them.
-The snow stage is set at Honnouji, a famous temple in Kyoto that was where Oda Nobunaga died. The boss is called a yuki-onna (snow woman), but this particular one is none other than Nouhime, Nobunaga's wife who died at Honnouji.
-The woman with the rabbit is Okatsu no Tsubone (also known as Oha or Eshoin), the concubine of Tokugawa who bore him his last child, Ichihime. In this she's played by (and modeled after) Emi Takei, best known for playing Kaoru in the Rurouni Kenshin movies. Tokugawa is played by Masachika Ichimura, the voice of Mewtwo.

Well if you haven't heard, Nioh has gone gold and is set to launch in March. Also they have announced that there will be a PvP Mode for the game for free, but it won't be available when the game first launches. For you that don't know in the alpha and beta you could fight another player's character but seeing where they died and fighting like a shade but there was no true PvP mode and people were asking if the game was going to have one but the developer kind of never gave a direct answer up until this point:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/nioh-to-get-pvp-mode-as-a-free-update-after-launch

So that new trailer interesting indeed. Haven't looked at much story information for the game so this shows quite a bit that perhaps not many knew or because I decided to avoid story spoilers at least I was just in the dark. So it looks like we are on Tokugawa Ieyasu side while this demon of Edward Kelly is fighting for Ishida Mitsunari. Also like you pointed out at the end of the trailer it does seem that is Nobunaga Oda is in the game in a sense. And going off just some theorizing since Edward Kelly can change shapes, it could mean that he in this game was responsible for Nobunaga Oda's death since in another cutscene where it seems William runs into Edward for the first time since arriving in Japan that 'their soul is part of my collection now' when William demands for Edward to return something. Could this mean that if Edward kills someone he can take their appearance because he owns their soul then? Interesting.

An interesting watch

Well the game being out not for a few weeks the thread now shall have SPOILERS so if you want to refrain from seeing said SPOILERS, I recommend passing most of my posts here on out.

So while the games story isn't the strongest I find it so interesting for some reason. I think it's the ending and partially how while the game talks about balance we aren't entirely fighting for the side of good. I mean Ieyasu, the side we as William fights for had his wife kill his son and herself because he didn't trust them, we even see her as she curses her husband in death and became the Ogress boss. So it feels more like we fight for the lesser of two evils since Misunari is willing to summon yokai to aid him along with dark magic. Yet both strive for peace oddly enough through the conflict of war by uniting Japan.

Then the ending. Oh how I love the twist that in reality all the deaths we faced can technically be true deaths like the Soulsborne series because William is connected to Saoirse and as long as she lives and he believes in her, he cannot truly die. Along with the fact my hunch of Kelly was right in that the Edward Kelly we chase after and fight is not the true Edward Kelly but a homunculus (minus the small part), who works for John Dee. Both Edward Kelly and John Dee in real life were alchemists who worked for Queen Elizabeth and Kelly supposedly could communicate with spirits this would explain why he has a guardian spirit himself and able to see Saoirse. So it would make sense that somehow they worked together in this games story and eventually found a way to create a homunculus (though perhaps at the expense of the real Kelly's life). We also no that Edward Kelly isn't real since there are multiple clones that you fight when you got to confront John Dee.

It's just fascinating how they have managed to take real history and turn it into a tale that while seemingly stays true to historical accounts in some ways is also its own story.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/20/nioh-getting-high-difficulty-missions-in-march-pvp-in-april

More difficult missions, and PvP coming for free as well as info on when the first DLC, Dragon of Tohoku, shall be coming out which is in April. Japan’s Best Warrior and Peaceful and Tranquil will be the second and third DLC names.

Tomorrow shall see the release of the Dragon of the North DLC, for its launch they have released a trailer

Nioh's next DLC, Defiant Honor, is coming this month. July 25:

http://fextralife.com/new-nioh-dlc-defiant-honor-announced-july-release/

Defiant Honor takes us to Osaka Castle, the largest and most impregnable castle of Sengoku era. This add-on features the legendary warrior Sanada Yukimura, serving Tokugawa Ieyasu’s archenemy Toyotomi clan, who values honor above all else. As tensions brew between the Tokugawa and Toyotomi clans, Sanada Yukimura prepares his men for imminent conflict against the Tokugawa’s forces by building a stronghold called the Sanada Maru on the outskirts of the Osaka Castle. With the castle fortified, Tokugawa’s forces were faced with a difficult and bloody challenge.