• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chumbry42

Sins of a Galactic Empire (SOASE MOD)

3 posts in this topic

So my friend and I started playing the sins of a galactic empire mod and I'm not if it's the mod or I'm still in the relearning phase but DAMN is it difficult. Even on normal it feels like the ai is getting some sort of unfair advantage either with starting areas/easier planets to colonize, more starting resources, or they "know" all of the details of nearby systems.

Maybe I just haven't played it enough to min/max my fleets, prioritize my tech/building trees, or learn when the best time to invest in more logistics.

I normally play as the Empire and it seems at about the 1.5-2 hour mark, the ai has multiple ridiculously massive fleets (consisting almost exclusively of capital ships) that just crush me.

Does anyone have any tips?

So my friend and I started playing the sins of a galactic empire mod and I'm not if it's the mod or I'm still in the relearning phase but DAMN is it difficult. Even on normal it feels like the ai is getting some sort of unfair advantage either with starting areas/easier planets to colonize, more starting resources, or they "know" all of the details of nearby systems.

Maybe I just haven't played it enough to min/max my fleets, prioritize my tech/building trees, or learn when the best time to invest in more logistics.

I normally play as the Empire and it seems at about the 1.5-2 hour mark, the ai has multiple ridiculously massive fleets (consisting almost exclusively of capital ships) that just crush me.

Does anyone have any tips?

Is there no way to lower the overall difficulty setting? or perhaps the modders intended it to be that way? In SOASER i just keep making small ships when i got some systems, over a all the way over a gigantic one.

In case you, or anyone else whos checking this, still requires tips:

The way the balance is setup is so that the movie tie in races are balanced to each other.

CIS are early game dominant with damn good trade research capabilities.

The requblic and alliance are about shields and defense.

The empire is about doing a stupid amount of damage. (Im thinking of the executioner class here)

The vong are just the vong. They have no shields and are a later game power, much like the empire in many regards.

What you want to do is you want to get you cap ships up as the empire, then you need to look through your ships and find ones with useful abilites.

In this mod it is focus quite alot on fighters and bombers so early game spam cap ships to take places, then once you find the CPU spam anti-fighter craft.

For the empire it is a balance between getting enough cap ships, having the firepower to kill enemy frigate with those cap ships, and having the frigates to kill their fighters. All buying time for your eventual supremacy once you build the executioner.

Make sure you understand which cap ships have good abilities and auras, always having more than one of a good aura so you dont lose it completely if you lose that ship.

Always focus down the enemy cap ships: this removed their fighters, abilities and due to multiple banks of weapons, your cap ships will target other things anyway.

All ships have different uses, so just make sure you are building ones that either have the most damage, or are useful for your fleet tactics.

Getting trade up is more important early game than getting military tech so unlock those as priority. Always leave a slot for trade. And once on front lines, always have a influence building in your ship building planet and your front line ones.

Oh and lots of races have research that reduces tech costs and time, so make sure you do those FIRST. Unless you require something before that.

There is also the strategy of moving your cap planet to one of the super resource worlds so that you get that additional extraction rate.

For some fleets you can literally spam cap ships and cruiser carriers. Just make sure the fleet you are facing off against doesnt have many anti fighters.

For the difficulty setting you pick, make sure you dont go too high, as the CPU gets bonus rates on everything, meaning that they build faster, conquer worlds with those ships, then get the increased income from those places anyway adding to the difficulty.

The other thing is to build fortresses, or uber defensive platforms where lots of lines reach. Dont expand from there unless you are ready to fight.

Sometimes having 3 fleets is better, sometimes 2, sometimes you just need to death stack.

Tax comes quick, minerals dont come as fast, prioritise those. 

Once you get an executioner you are set to go. Always try to bait the ai into attacking you in one of your own planets. Preferably one that has a crapload of defensive platforms.

Chumbry42 likes this