• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

Weekly News Round Up 12-22-2015

2 posts in this topic

This_Week_In_Gaming.png

This week is going to have a lot of Kojima

Kojima Productions' Next Game Will Launch On PC and Bayonetta and Corrin Will Be Added To Super Smash Bros.

Kojima confirms that his newest title will be releasing on the PS4 and on the PC at a later date.

Japanese devs stuck in negative spiral, says Xenoblade Chronicles director and Hideo Kojima says Japanese games are a "hard sell" to global audiences

Shedding some light on the goals of developers based in Japan, Takahashi explained that a lot of Japanese RPGs are budgeted so that they'll more than likely make a profit off sales within Japan alone. 

According to Takahashi only a few releases subvert that formula, and it's becoming a huge problem.

“It seems to me that building the entire world of the game itself (making it open-world) is considered one must-have element for Western RPGs nowadays, but that just can’t be done in the current Japan scene," explains Takahashi.

5_Va_WWNm_TWkt4_878x0_Z_Z96_KYq.jpg

"If you’re only focused on the profits immediately in front of you, the times will leave you behind," Kojima said. "It becomes impossible to catch up again."

While I would say the statements made by the two are correct, everyone always seem to gloss over that not only do Japanese focused games typically not sell well in the West, but they don't sell very well in Japan either.

The full interview with Kojima can be found here.

In the weeks following his departure from Konami, Kojima considered taking a mind-cleansing trip to a deserted island for a year. When he explained the plan to “a Hollywood friend,” he was cautioned against it. Kojima owed it to his own talent, the friend said, to keep up the pace. “Hearing that affirmed to me that my role in this world is to keep on making big games for as long as I can,” Kojima said. “That is the mission I’ve been given in life.”

Hideo Kojima Talks New Studio, 'Edgy' Playstation Game, and The Future

"I want to create something that’s what people expect, but at the same time will have something new that people haven’t seen before," Kojima said, noting specifically that "it will be a complete game."

Yoji Shinkawa added, “We’ve been working on a franchise that is beloved and has recognizable characters. One of my big goals is, visually, with whatever characters we create, to go beyond that, to be more recognizable, more beloved. That’s definitely one of the goals I have when it comes to the art side.”

For its first project, Kojima said, "I’m thinking smaller-scale, not too many people, and focusing on game creation at first." From there, Kojima says it’s possible the studio could expand beyond games.

Former Metal Gear Solid 5 Engine Lead Joins Bandai Namco

2982491_merceron.jpg

Merceron said he is looking forward to the opportunity to work with the team and "accelerate growth, innovation, and creativity," noting that these efforts won't be limited to games alone.

"Working with so many experienced people and friends and focusing on a wider range of entertainment forms is the chance of a lifetime," he said.

Merceron has worked at a number of big-name companies in high-level technology positions, including Konami, Square Enix, and Ubisoft. He left Konami in September 2015.

Ken Levine's next game will be both "small-scale" and open world

"The triple-A, single-player narrative game is starting to disappear," he said. "Kind of games like BioShock. There's fewer of them being made. The real reason is they're very expensive to make and I think gamers are saying pretty loud and clear that if they're going to spend $40, $50, $60, they want an experience that lasts more than 10-12 hours. That's a lot to ask somebody to spend."

Valve sued by French consumer association

The UFC alleges five points in particular:

• Steam's Subscriber Agreement explicitly forbids users to sell their games, despite the transfer of ownership of digital products/licenses being legal.
  • Valve declines responsibility in the event that users' personal information is stolen.
  • Valve claims ownership of the rights of any user-created content uploaded to Steam.
  • It is impossible to get the money on your Steam Wallet back if your account is closed/deleted/banned.
  • Valve applies Luxembourg's consumer law regardless of the user's country.

EA & Visceral to Produce Open World RPG ‘Star Wars’ Game!

Visceral_Featured.jpg

"Heading up this project is former Ubisoft producer Jade Raymond. Joining her is Uncharted writer Amy Hennig. To say there is some power behind this game is an understatement. Those who wished for a more detailed story mode in Star Wars: Battlefront, should be smiling from ear to ear, because these two have experience with content rich games that have major story arcs."

Twitter Hires “Director of Gaming Partnerships” — Meaning What, Exactly?

"It’d be nice if his job was all about supporting Twitter’s more unusual corners, which result in net art like games made entirely out of tweets and thoughtfully crafted Twitter bots — but, let’s be real. It’ll probably be more focused on maintaining the social media fervor that surrounds massive gaming press events like E3, as well as supporting bigger companies that use the service to announce their products."

DDoS Group Phantom Squad threatens to take down Xbox Live and PSN on Christmas

Phantom Squad has claimed responsibility for past outages, hopefully Microsoft and Sony have improved their security this year.

Some of the Cool New Stuff Coming to the Final Fantasy VII Remake

download.jpg

• Expanding on the story of Biggs, Wedge, Jessie and the founding of AVALANCHE
  • Online capabilities are still in early development, but being seriously considered
  • The scenario for Part 1 is totally complete
  • The game is being developed in Unreal Engine 4 under the guidance of the Kingdom Hearts III team
  • Cloud's hallucination scenes will delve even deeper into his back story
  • Most of the Advent Children voice cast will be returning
  • The Limit Break system is being expanded on, and a new unique system will coincide with it that has yet to be announced

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is coming in early 2016 (to PC)

The Ultimate Edition will possibly have a release in 2016.

Mark Hamill talks Star Citizen, Wing Commander and Star Wars

Video Interview

Mark Hamill will be playing Lt. Commander Steve 'Old Man' Colton in Star Citizen's single player mode.

Star Citizen's Procedurally-Generated Planet Tech Seems Pretty Impressive

Video Link

Tales of Berseria will come west on PlayStation 4 and Windows PC and Tales of Symphonia officially available on Steam in February

Berseria Trailer Link

A thread about Tales of Berseria has been created here.

New Kingdom Hearts 3 footage surfaces in 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue trailer

Trailer Link

The game — which includes all of the following: a new "playable episode" Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep — A Fragmentary Passage; a cinematic called Kingdom Hearts x [chi] Back Cover; and a high-definition remake of the Nintendo 3DS title Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance —will head to the PlayStation 4 sometime in 2016.

Shadow of Mordor Producer Fights Rare Form Of Cancer

2947cbde_83d4_4fbd_b748_e0f2074ebea9_pro

Forgey’s family and friends are raising money to help him cover medical expenses and support his three children, the fundraiser is on YouCare right here.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Has "Done Well," Microsoft Says

"It launched in a very crowded window, but it has done well," he said. "A lot of people bought both Fallout 4 and Tomb Raider. At the same time we know a lot of people may have bought Tomb Raider and wait on Fallout or bought Fallout and waited on Tomb Raider."

Nintendo prevails in Mii patent case

Today Nintendo announced it has prevailed in a patent case against an outfit known as RecogniCorp, which had sued the company over a patent on storage systems for police sketch-artist data, which it asserted Nintendo violated with its Mii characters.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3's first add-on hits PS4 in February

Four new maps and a new zombie chapter will be added in Feburary for the PS4. This content will come later for the Xbox One and the PC.

• Gauntlet: Grounded in a military training facility, Gauntlet plays up the core philosophy of Treyarch's classic three lane map structure with distinct variety in visuals and gameplay. Each of the three primary lanes has a unique environment as players battle through a sprawling jungle, sub-zero artic zone and rainy urban cityscape.
  • Splash: Set in an abandoned water theme park, this vibrant and playful map delivers an imaginative environment complete with waterslides, a wrecked pirate ship and a lazy river ride that winds through a fantastical forgotten city. Splash is designed to drive an open flow of combat, including plenty of opportunities for underwater gameplay.
  • Rise: Set in the snowy outskirts of Zurich, Rise is a Coalescence Corporation construction project for a massive subterranean research campus. The design of the map caters to a mix of classic Call of Duty cover combat alongside strategic core movement opportunities, with each section of the map offering distinctly different styles of gameplay.
  • Skyjacked: Set on a security VTOL in the clouds over urban Zurich, Skyjacked is a reimagined version of the popular Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 multiplayer map Hijacked, and retains the same fast and frenetic gameplay from one of the most popular maps in Call of Duty history, but with a twist. Skyjacked gives players the opportunity to explore the map in a variety of new ways thanks to the all-new core movement system in Black Ops 3.

That's all I have for the news the remaining links are posts to pieces I find interesting and that others might enjoy.

The Best Video Game Music Of 2015

A list of some of the titles with the best music of the year. Games include Assassins Creed, Legend of Heroes, Blloodborne, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc.

The Best Japan-Only Games of 2015

x7rgz2lqw9em5s8n0i2s.jpg

A list of some good Japanese games and if we have any details about a release outside of Japan.

The Year In Feels

Everybodys_Gone_To_The_Rapture_201508111

For about as long as they’ve been around, we’ve cherished videogames as a way to escape from these vices and from the many other stresses of everyday life. But games can serve the opposite purpose just as well, and the most emotionally resonant games of 2015 opted to confront us with truths instead of helping us avoid them—whether they were ugly or embarrassing or cheesy or pathetic. It might not sound like much, but it’s a solid foundation for a more personal, more incisive, more emotional videogame medium.

This Is What eSports Will Be Like In 2016

this_is_what_esports_will_be_like_in_201

The summer just gone saw governing bodies in the field declare their intent to drug-test participants for performance-enhancing substances; a Philippines-based league had intended to limit gay and transgender players before u-turning on the decision after the entirely expected protests; and then at the end of November an eSports journalist came to blows with a Dota pro at DreamHack Winter.

But here's something more positive: this sort of shit is on the slide, and 2016 is set to be another significant year for eSports, with its arenas filling and online viewers multiplying.

That Time Team Fortress 2 And Borderlands Changed Art Styles Mid-Development

An article about the changes in Borderlands and Team Fortress 2's art design, what lead to the changes and their inspirations.

Male Romance Is Awful in Video Games: Why?

Geralt_and_Triss.jpg

I sometimes wonder if this is because of the backwards cultural assumption that women aren’t attracted to looks, and men only are. Clearly, according to this reasoning, women don’t care if male romantic interests are monstrous; they’re only interested in personality. Likewise, men might be able to find interest in a non-human romantic partner, so long as she looks like a traditionally attractive woman. Of course, I’m assuming a motivation here, but it’s one I’ve heard repeated by players and developers alike, so it’s an idea that exists.

It’s not hard for me to come up with romantic situations in video games with women NPCs. Alan Wake has a great one. Assassin’s Creed: 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations has Ezio matched with Sofia Sartor and Caterina Sforza. I even liked some of the very short but still amusing date snippets in Sleeping Dogs. Elena in Uncharted is another great example.

In my mind, the best of the best here comes from The Witcher series, namely the third game. Geralt’s relationships with Triss Merigold and Yennifer of Vengerberg are both phenomenal, and the choice between them can be downright gut-wrenching. Their sexuality is playful and alive. I really want to see what CD Projekt’s brilliant writers can do with male options in Cyberpunk 2077 (and, frankly, everything else to do with it).

Tie Fighter Found the Humanity In Fascism

tf1.jpg

"That drive to become a key component in the Empire is what I remember most about TIE Fighter when I first played it over two decades ago. Though I enjoyed X-Wing, flying under the Imperial insignia was far more engrossing, beyond the novelty of flying for the enemy every other piece of Star Wars media told me to hate. There exists an undeniable clarity to the Empire’s mission, despite the dehumanizing, mechanical political ideologies that inspired it."

Fallout 4 Normal Person Play Diary

2015_12_03_00004.jpg

A game designer's written in character let's play of Fallout 4 where he talks about some of the problems of Bethesda having advertised being able to play the kind of character you want to play compared to some of the choices and situations they force you into, as well as things that he notices about world design and things that do add to the world design and experience, things that take away from it, and things that tried to make the world more interesting but may have ended up not working out.

PrismatDragon, Conan and QwiK like this

Thanks for this nice look into those things, those are actually ones I'm most interested in, it was nice to go through and read all this. Thanks for putting all this up in one place.

I will not hide that Kojima stuff interests me the most... and romancing in games, especially same gender romancing, I think that's always a barve move from developers side to include this in the game, and I think that's really cool thing to do so, it gives not only more life to the game and options for players to experience the polt/game world from more points of view, but also it gives a chance for more people to personalize better with characters they are playing with.