• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

The Anti-Santa

Does anyone else find Preston Garvey annoying as hell? (Fallout 4 talk, and some stuff that annoy me in Fallout 4 using strong language)

31 posts in this topic

Seriously, Garvey fucking irritating and actually made the game un-enjoyable in parts for me.

First of all, biggest reason he's annoying, the endless god damn Minutemen quests, which are literally the exact same two or maybe three quests again and again and again, and the game already has enough problems with quest variety, and he gives them to you just by walking near him. In fact, that's one thing that annoys the hell out of me about this game in general, the amount of characters that just run up to you and automatically dump a "Go here, kill these guys" quest on you. I really wish Bethesda patch that out, because it's just annoying. At least in Fallout 3 you had to actually talk to characters to activate quests, if it's getting to the point where I'm running away from a guy in the Railroad because I don't want him to dump a quest on me, they've done something wrong with the game's design.

I got so tired of running away from Garvey before he dumped another boring quest on me, I actually set him as my companion just to send him to Coastal Cottage, WAAAAAY away from me so he just be there alone and not constant dump the same 'go kill raiders' quests on me. And to be brutally honest, the game has actually got way more enjoyable now that I don't have to worry about that crap. He doesn't even make a good companion, because he just bitched and whined at me the second I asked for money or did anything that would help me. If you don't act selfless constantly he just sits there bitching about how you're acting. Fuck off, Garvey, honestly XD

Now I'm just gonna list off nitpick things that bug me about the game:

Biggest one, the lack of mission variety. I think by now it's fair to say there are way too many missions where you just go to a place and kill everything. When you compare it to the quests from older games like the Wasteland Survival Guide, or the Tenpenny Tower, or anything as interesting as the guides from Elder Scrolls.

They're reaaaaaally banking on the laser musket being more iconic than it really is. It's in all the trailers, it's in the title screen, it's like they're trying to make it the new hunting rifle. I dunno about you guys but I never use the laser musket, it's too inconvenient, even as a sniper rifle.

Why is it I have to help defend a settlement that has 30 Mk II machine gun turrets defending it? Like, literally nothing can go near that settlement without being torn to pieces, yet I have to drop what I'm doing to go help them. The settlement has a defence rating of 150 for christ sake.

The lack of choice in clothes you can put armour pieces on. There's, what, five, maybe six outfits in the whole game that let you wear armour over them? Considering how wearing armour pieces is better than any one piece of armoured outfit you should be able to wear more things under the armour, or at least be able to upgrade the outfits.

What about you guys? Anything bugging you about Fallout 4? Bare in mind guys, it's okay to admit there are things wrong with the games you love. I'm actually having a blast with Fallout 4 despite how annoying I find some of these things :P

Preston Garvey is Jesus.

Lack of quest variety, lack of choice, and lack of immersion have put this game well below Fallout 3, imho. Bethesda seems to have been taking lessons from EA in how to make pretty but shallow games. It's like they're not even trying anymore, but then again, they don't have to. They can toss out a milquetoast action RPG whenever they want, and modders will turn it into something decent after they bash their heads against Bethesda's half baked modding tools for long enough.

Aw hell, who am I kidding? They put a teddy bear on a toilet holding a newspaper! 10/10 GotC(entury) confirmed.

And I painted my power armour pink and white, best game of forever.

Seriously, Garvey fucking irritating and actually made the game un-enjoyable in parts for me.

First of all, biggest reason he's annoying, the endless god damn Minutemen quests, which are literally the exact same two or maybe three quests again and again and again, and the game already has enough problems with quest variety, and he gives them to you just by walking near him. In fact, that's one thing that annoys the hell out of me about this game in general, the amount of characters that just run up to you and automatically dump a "Go here, kill these guys" quest on you. I really wish Bethesda patch that out, because it's just annoying. At least in Fallout 3 you had to actually talk to characters to activate quests, if it's getting to the point where I'm running away from a guy in the Railroad because I don't want him to dump a quest on me, they've done something wrong with the game's design.

I got so tired of running away from Garvey before he dumped another boring quest on me, I actually set him as my companion just to send him to Coastal Cottage, WAAAAAY away from me so he just be there alone and not constant dump the same 'go kill raiders' quests on me. And to be brutally honest, the game has actually got way more enjoyable now that I don't have to worry about that crap. He doesn't even make a good companion, because he just bitched and whined at me the second I asked for money or did anything that would help me. If you don't act selfless constantly he just sits there bitching about how you're acting. Fuck off, Garvey, honestly XD

Now I'm just gonna list off nitpick things that bug me about the game:

Biggest one, the lack of mission variety. I think by now it's fair to say there are way too many missions where you just go to a place and kill everything. When you compare it to the quests from older games like the Wasteland Survival Guide, or the Tenpenny Tower, or anything as interesting as the guides from Elder Scrolls.

They're reaaaaaally banking on the laser musket being more iconic than it really is. It's in all the trailers, it's in the title screen, it's like they're trying to make it the new hunting rifle. I dunno about you guys but I never use the laser musket, it's too inconvenient, even as a sniper rifle.

Why is it I have to help defend a settlement that has 30 Mk II machine gun turrets defending it? Like, literally nothing can go near that settlement without being torn to pieces, yet I have to drop what I'm doing to go help them. The settlement has a defence rating of 150 for christ sake.

The lack of choice in clothes you can put armour pieces on. There's, what, five, maybe six outfits in the whole game that let you wear armour over them? Considering how wearing armour pieces is better than any one piece of armoured outfit you should be able to wear more things under the armour, or at least be able to upgrade the outfits.

What about you guys? Anything bugging you about Fallout 4? Bare in mind guys, it's okay to admit there are things wrong with the games you love. I'm actually having a blast with Fallout 4 despite how annoying I find some of these things :P

I found it extremely unsatisfying that i had to choose a side, whlist in new vegas i could merge sides to work together for example with the BoS and NCR. Or do wildcard.

I don't mind Garvey. At least the token black character doesn't shout "Mah nigga" all the time, and he's much preferable to Jacob from Mass Effect 2.

The honor of having the black guy voice goes to Tinker Tom, who's just an amazing character. No sarcasm, I fucking love Tinker Tom.

5752611+_814c6932537d696714aef8673f975aa

Blank_fffb6b_5752611.jpg

I found it extremely unsatisfying that i had to choose a side, whlist in new vegas i could merge sides to work together for example with the BoS and NCR. Or do wildcard.

I really didn't like New Vegas, but getting the factions to work together, that was pretty awesome. Y'know, not so much where they're all buddy buddy, just fighting for a common cause.

As for Fallout 4, I'm going to with the BoS so far, because they're not boring like the Minutemen or whinny tree hugging hippies like the Railroad. I actually haven't gotten to the point in the game where I've met the Institute yet, and I swear to fuck if I get to them and they explain why they pretty much terrorise everyone in the Commonwealth like this....

KlvL1Xt.jpg

I'm going to murder someone at Bethesda....

whinny tree hugging hippies like the Railroad

I'LL WHINY TREE HUGGING HIPPY YOU YOU BIG GALUMPHING TECH WORSHIPPER

I never got why the Railroad and the BoS couldn't work together against the Institute, probably due to Maxon being a fucking moron and not taking the time to understand the situation at hand before jumping in guns blazing. I miss the Lyons. TT-TT

I'LL WHINY TREE HUGGING HIPPY YOU YOU BIG GALUMPHING TECH WORSHIPPER

I never got why the Railroad and the BoS couldn't work together against the Institute, probably due to Maxon being a fucking moron and not taking the time to understand the situation at hand before jumping in guns blazing. I miss the Lyons. TT-TT

I blew up Lyons, and killed his daughter as she looked upon the smouldering ruins of her home. Then I ate her. Yeah, I was just straight up evil in Fallout 3.

I blew up Lyons, and killed his daughter as she looked upon the smouldering ruins of her home. Then I ate her. Yeah, I was just straight up evil in Fallout 3.

Oh you're one of THOSE fallout players

The "Rape and pillage" kind

Yeah I can imagine why you'd dislike the Minutemen then. I'm usually a nice guy, though I try to do one evil playthough in each game. It's hard to be evil in Fallout 4 though. 

The game has a very set vision of what your character is. Bethesda tried to copy the storytelling style of Mass Effect, but failed miserably in letting you have freedom to roleplay your character as you like as in Mass Effect. I mean for fuck's sake Mass Effect lets you commit genocide not once, not twice, but potentially THREE TIMES throughout the series. Maybe even four if you get really creative with it. Fallout 4 copies the system, but fails to capture the depth of it. 

I don't think this is the fault of having a voiced protagonist, as some people say. (Male protagonist is awful, but that's a whole 'nother ball park.) It's the fault of Bethesda stepping outside their comfort zone. They're trying to direct the player in a certain story direction, but they don't seem to know how to do that without "Railroading" the player into a set course of action. It's really notable with how most of the side quests tie into the main storyline in some way, showing that Bethesda set a point A and a point B and basically drew a straight line between them, as opposed to just vaguely gesturing at point b and then telling you to do whatever the fuck you wanted like previous Fallout games and Skyrim did. 

Oblivion, I might note, actually handles it's story in a similar way to how Fallout 4 does. It has a specific direction it wants you to go and a specific story it wants you to follow. However, it's less notable because of it having a variety of side quests that don't tie directly into the main storyline, persay. It's worth noting that in most cases in Oblivion your character just has a few dialogue options, if any, much like Fallout 4. 

Of course, I feel like Oblivion was one of the weakest of Bethesda's more modern titles. Take that as you will. 

Oh you're one of THOSE fallout players

The "Rape and pillage" kind

Yeah I can imagine why you'd dislike the Minutemen then. I'm usually a nice guy, though I try to do one evil playthough in each game. It's hard to be evil in Fallout 4 though. 

The game has a very set vision of what your character is. Bethesda tried to copy the storytelling style of Mass Effect, but failed miserably in letting you have freedom to roleplay your character as you like as in Mass Effect. I mean for fuck's sake Mass Effect lets you commit genocide not once, not twice, but potentially THREE TIMES throughout the series. Maybe even four if you get really creative with it. Fallout 4 copies the system, but fails to capture the depth of it. 

I don't think this is the fault of having a voiced protagonist, as some people say. (Male protagonist is awful, but that's a whole 'nother ball park.) It's the fault of Bethesda stepping outside their comfort zone. They're trying to direct the player in a certain story direction, but they don't seem to know how to do that without "Railroading" the player into a set course of action. It's really notable with how most of the side quests tie into the main storyline in some way, showing that Bethesda set a point A and a point B and basically drew a straight line between them, as opposed to just vaguely gesturing at point b and then telling you to do whatever the fuck you wanted like previous Fallout games and Skyrim did. 

Oblivion, I might note, actually handles it's story in a similar way to how Fallout 4 does. It has a specific direction it wants you to go and a specific story it wants you to follow. However, it's less notable because of it having a variety of side quests that don't tie directly into the main storyline, persay. It's worth noting that in most cases in Oblivion your character just has a few dialogue options, if any, much like Fallout 4. 

Of course, I feel like Oblivion was one of the weakest of Bethesda's more modern titles. Take that as you will. 

But i loved Oblivion.

HE GOT BACK TO SANCTUARY SOMEHOW. HE'S COMING AFTER ME NOW!!!

6ceb92703fe18b3ff5add617ca8d579cae00f403

That shit actually made me laugh in real life. 

what i finde annoying as hell is still the same som guy/girl who's a head role ind game can talk so much shit about you and the only thing you can say's is low your weapon's I just wanna talk or I am sorry I need your help. I have always wondered where's the game danm slap the bitch button :P 

One thing i dont like about preston is the fact he always calls me babe i mean the way he sais it jesus sounds like hes gona rape me... dont romance with preston

Only places I really built up was the Rocket gas station (personal) and Sanctuary (main settlement) and I just see Preston walking back forth, occasionally fixing crap on the houses but I'm doing all the dirty work.

And Dogmeat doesn't give me shit if I nick junk from people's places (General Atomics Galleria).

Im no Fallout person but, I do have some little issues for sure OP. For example not expecting the game to have so many load screens, repetitive faction misc quests, not feeling armor and weapon customization or the shit conversation system. But, I have an immediate issue, I lost Curie and I dont know how to fix it. Like I sent her to the castle to get Piper but, when I went back for her shes not there. I searched everywhere and even killed people there so they would all aggro in hopes that she would appear on the map and attack but, nada. Where is she? Dont tell me this is a case of lost Serana like in Skyrim.

Also, I started a romance with all the girls and thats great but, are they going to say something about it? I was telling Cait how I loved her right in front of Piper's face even though we had just talked about how we were lucky to have found each other earlier and Piper said jack shit about it. In other games characters complain at least. This romancing system needs work.

I actually did a quickie review on Fallout 4, basically noted how all the romanceable characters seem to be nothing but walking talking power-ups. the romance itself serves no practical purpose, characters show no particular change in disposition towards you when you're in a romance as opposed to not, and Lover's Comfort is all but useless. 

I actually don't mind the romancing multiple characters, but for reasons that evidently send certain people on the internet into an insane gibbering frenzy. But your right, in the grand scheme of things it really has turned companions into walking unlockable perks. It doesn't help that so far I've only met two who I actually like (Fuck Strong, if I want to pick a lock, I'll pick the damn lock. I don't need you big green ass judging me!). In some way, if you look at it like that, it's just as bad, if not worse, than the romanceable characters in Bioware games that always boil down to talking to them enough and giving gifts and eventually they'll give you sex as a reward.

But as I said I'm okay with it. And If you don't want to hear why, don't read it. Because I'm about to go all SWJ up in this bitch.

I like it because it lets me be polyamorous. Speaking as someone to whom gender doesn't really mean anything in both my romantic and sexual partners, and as someone who in the majority of all my long term relationships have been open, allowing both me and my partners at the time to engage others sexually and romantically freely as we liked, this certain little aspect of the game really appeals to me. Now I know a lot of people say it's a bug that Bethesda hadn't bothered to fix, but them not caring about said bug means more to me personally than if they addressed or actively patched it out of the game with the day one patch. I like how polyamory was just there, no fuss, no big deal. Which is how it is in real life. I'm not saying my personal experience justifies any negligence on Bethesda's behalf, or proves anyone wrong if they found it a bit weird who you can have multiple lovers and none of them seem to even notice each other. I'm just saying I don't mind it, because for the first time in a game (Y'know, that wasn't a weird sex game) I can be both polyamorous and pansexual, just like I am in real life. And very happily so, I might add.

I actually don't mind the romancing multiple characters, but for reasons that evidently send certain people on the internet into an insane gibbering frenzy. But your right, in the grand scheme of things it really has turned companions into walking unlockable perks. It doesn't help that so far I've only met two who I actually like (Fuck Strong, if I want to pick a lock, I'll pick the damn lock. I don't need you big green ass judging me!). In some way, if you look at it like that, it's just as bad, if not worse, than the romanceable characters in Bioware games that always boil down to talking to them enough and giving gifts and eventually they'll give you sex as a reward.

But as I said I'm okay with it. And If you don't want to hear why, don't read it. Because I'm about to go all SWJ up in this bitch.

I like it because it lets me be polyamorous. Speaking as someone to whom gender doesn't really mean anything in both my romantic and sexual partners, and as someone who in the majority of all my long term relationships have been open, allowing both me and my partners at the time to engage others sexually and romantically freely as we liked, this certain little aspect of the game really appeals to me. Now I know a lot of people say it's a bug that Bethesda hadn't bothered to fix, but them not caring about said bug means more to me personally than if they addressed or actively patched it out of the game with the day one patch. I like how polyamory was just there, no fuss, no big deal. Which is how it is in real life. I'm not saying my personal experience justifies any negligence on Bethesda's behalf, or proves anyone wrong if they found it a bit weird who you can have multiple lovers and none of them seem to even notice each other. I'm just saying I don't mind it, because for the first time in a game (Y'know, that wasn't a weird sex game) I can be both polyamorous and pansexual, just like I am in real life. And very happily so, I might add.

Well hello Jim Sterling

I have no issue at all with polyagamy in games, it's just that Fallout 4 handles romance in general so poorly. In Bioware games, there's character development to be seen, and the characters treat you differently throughout your relationship. Fallout 4 tries to clone that system but just sort of gets the surface elements without any of the depth. 

Well hello Jim Sterling

I have no issue at all with polyagamy in games, it's just that Fallout 4 handles romance in general so poorly. In Bioware games, there's character development to be seen, and the characters treat you differently throughout your relationship. Fallout 4 tries to clone that system but just sort of gets the surface elements without any of the depth. 

Jim and I have a lot in common. A 'lot' in common. 

Seriously though, polyamorous and pansexual, and I appreciate how the game lets me be that way too.

Jim and I have a lot in common. A 'lot' in common. 

Seriously though, polyamorous and pansexual, and I appreciate how the game lets me be that way too.

Was that a fat joke? I feel like that was a fat joke.

I actually do appreciate that as well, but it doesn't mean a lot to me when the romances themselves are so dull and meaningless. 

Well, you must really have a lot in common then because I think thats very much exactly what the fat guy said in his video.

On my personal side, im not really poly amorous or panwhatever but, I do like myself some relationship drama. However, that does not factor into my feelings on the romancing system at all. As it has been stated romancing system needs work but, characters not reacting to other romances doesnt seem like a bug, seems more like an oversight on Bethesda's part. I mean, Characters having some sort of reaction just seems like something so basic to add for fucks sake. Even if polygamous people have to put it out there at some point right?

Romancing systems in games obviously could never compare to real life. But, if Bethesda isnt going to put effort in it then I wish they didnt even try because we end up with characters that just say I love you after 3 conversations and give you a perk. Bravo Bethesda. Or, you put on a necklace and people ask you if youre looking for a spouse like in Skyrim. Though, a point can be made that those were customs but, stil....

Well, you must really have a lot in common then because I think thats very much exactly what the fat guy said in his video.

On my personal side, im not really poly amorous or panwhatever but, I do like myself some relationship drama. However, that does not factor into my feelings on the romancing system at all. As it has been stated romancing system needs work but, characters not reacting to other romances doesnt seem like a bug, seems more like an oversight on Bethesda's part. I mean, Characters having some sort of reaction just seems like something so basic to add for fucks sake. Even if polygamous people have to put it out there at some point right?

Romancing systems in games obviously could never compare to real life. But, if Bethesda isnt going to put effort in it then I wish they didnt even try because we end up with characters that just say I love you after 3 conversations and give you a perk. Bravo Bethesda. Or, you put on a necklace and people ask you if youre looking for a spouse like in Skyrim. Though, a point can be made that those were customs but, stil....

It says a lot I think Skyrim's romance system was leagues better than Fallout 4's. 

Yeah, I agree with him on a lot of points.

And yeah, I know the romance system is kinda crap, I said that already. I just don't mind being able to romance more than one character.

Actually, this is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Doesn't anyone else think Fallout 4 is.... Kinda rushed? Like seriously, the game play is solid, but it's seriously feels like they just scribbled down all of the script together within a few months. With it's fucking stupid dialogue system that limits EVERYTHING, and the fact that nearly ever mission is "go here, kill everything" maybe the problem isn't Bethesda didn't put any good writers on the game, maybe the problem is they didn't give them any time to actually write anything interesting.