• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2016)

442 posts in this topic

Completed: Elite Beat Agents
Platform: DS

Not a fan of rhythm games, or music in general, but I'll make an exception for this game.

Completed: Sword of Asumi
Platform: PC

Sword of Asumi is a visual novel taking place in an alternate universe Japan. Character and background art is poor, fitting for low budget visual novels but after this one got high funding on Kickstarters, so this is much lower quality than should have been expected. Cliched characters and dialogue that fits with bad fan fiction and not at all with the setting of the game. The game is short so all relationships are rushed with everyone liking you immediately. Some choices lead to dialogue and option changes but most have no effect on future scenes or thoughts, you can find yourself in strange conversations with characters who act like they know you very well when based on your decisions you might not even have met them. Dull music that seems to randomly stop at strange times, other what seems like an accident or it seems like they just lacked a track fitting for the mood. It felt like they wanted to make a dress up game more than anything else, for how short the game is you are constantly changing clothes for almost everything that you do, and then I noticed they did make a dress up game as DLC. All the endings of the games play out in the same way and lead to the same choices, two quick playthroughs can allow you to see every ending that the game offers. The main plot of the game to uncover which of the characters is planning to lead a rebellion feels like a complete afterthought and adds nothing to the game. With the actual plot and characters being uninteresting for those who care about story, there being no sex scenes for people interested in that, and the writing not being bad or awkward enough for people that play VN just to laugh at them the game doesn't have anything to offer any of its players.

Really sad when a bad visual novel can't even give me funny scenes to screenshot and laugh at.

Completed:  Rise of the Tomb Raider (to 100%)

Platfrom:      XBox One

Time:            58 Hours 26 Minutes

2962603-riseofthetombraider_promo.jpg

Much of how I feel about this game was already covered in Shagger's review so I'll just do the Lazy thing and Link to that.

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/32708-shagger-says-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

So yeah I enjoyed the hell out of this!  If I have one complaint it is that going back looking for the relics, documents and so on is a bit a pain in the ass because some pathways become blocked due to rubble or a bridge collapsing during the story.  This means you could be trying to follow the route you took during the campaign only to find it impassible and you need to use the fast travel to access the next area and that can be annoying.

Other that I have nothing but praise.  The presentation (even on the XBox) is stunning, the gameplay is superb and the story although maybe not quite as good as it's predecessor still knocks the block off most other games in this genre.  Now that it's out on PC I'm glad others will get to enjoy it, hell I might buy it on PC myself at some point down the road.

I just bought the Baba Yaga DLC so I'll probably report back on what that's like.

Shagger likes this

Completed: Viewtiful Joe
Platform: PS2

Fun gameplay, varied locations, and good use of powers to get through areas. You can dodge enemy attacks to put them off balance, slow down time to do more powerful attacks or send projectiles back at enemies, or move in fast motion that will let you set enemies on fire and cause you to be able to move through fire. Devil May Cry style upgrade system where you get more points the better you do and if you avoid damage, points can be used to buy new moves, to upgrade them, or to get more health.

I played it around the time it released but I had not finished the game before.

Completed: Viewtiful Joe 2
Platform: PS2

Same great gameplay and variety in stages but very similar to the first. Joe has a couple new moves and you can now play as Silvia who gets some of her own moves, guns instead of punches, a different ability than Joe's turbo mode, and the two can charge team up attacks when you switch characters.

Game: Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice

For the time some of the voice acting was good, though there were some strangely done accents and some terrible performances. Motion capture made some of the movement animations look good, but very strange in some areas. Horror elements were not handled very well in terms of suspense or animations. Nice backgrounds but they don't always accurately go with the descriptions, a hole may be in the background to use an item on but may not really be visible. Ridiculous situations and your character's actions don't make sense quite often, knowing things that there's no reason for him to know or doing things that there was no reason for him to think of. You actually get to choose your ending by clicking on if you want the happy or sad ending which just changes what happens to the main character but nothing else.

https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/693089530363121664

Completed: Sunless Sea

Great atmosphere and writing. Good locations, different ways to handle things with different stats, quests for crew members can turn out in different ways, some events might have a rare outcome in addition to the normal one for added variety. There are a lot of ways to get your captain to retirement either by buying larger houses and choosing to retire, completing long quests in certain ways or helping factions gain power, or by fulfilling an ambition that you choose when you create your character. The character creator allows you to choose what you would like to be addressed as, no matter what your portrait appearance is, which is great for non cisgender characters/players or people who would rather be called something other than Sir or Captain, romance options also allows for any kind of relationship you want (though you are kind of forced into having a kid and making them want to be a Captain if you want better choices in the event of your death).

I really like the officers in the game, the starting character that joins based on your chosen past is terrible stat wise but each one of them even has a send off where you can take them to a location and be given item for it, quests for other characters might have them create a unique and powerful item, reveal more of the world or secrets that they are hiding, their quests might lead to their death, or to them becoming changed in a way that effects their stat bonuses or personality.

It would be an excellent game if it wasn't for the terrible monotonous gameplay. The game is very slow and requires grinding. Fuel (which I think should be removed from the game entirely) and supplies take up half your cargo space and the other three ships that cost under $3,000 all offer the same amount of storage or even less (I don't even know how you would play with less), you can't buy a ship that can hold more until you get $7,000, items you get that sell for a lot of money are frequently needed for access to areas, officer quests, or other things that should prevent you from selling them. There is also no way to store extra cargo, not in your house or in a warehouse (a feature that has been requested for over a year), so you will have no way to do certain quests that require a lot of supplies and if you have something you need for a quest or to do something else but you don't have everything you need you will have to waste valuable space carrying something for possibly hours. You will need to buy expensive engines to go faster to reduce the amount of time you are wasting but they also tend to ruin a lot of the combat because you can outrun monsters that need to run into you to do damage and enemy ships without aft guns are easy to just stay behind and shoot as they attempt to turn in a constant circle so they can see you. In the first 12 hours I think I saw two events at sea, I have no idea why they made the thing that you do the most the most boring aspect of the game. With how few enemies there are, how easy it is to avoid or outrun them, and next to no events they might as well hve just added a fast travel system. It's great when you discover new places and see new events but because you will want money for engines, a new ship, and due to fuel/supply requirements you will likely be travelling back and forth between similar areas to trade the same items, pick up the same passengers, see the same events with the same outcomes, and to record the same area logs in each port to pass on to the navy for free fuel when you return to London (which really should have been a more central location not the top right of a large map). Just the simple feature of letting you store things in your house would be such a big improvement.

You can get permanent bonuses for future Captains by collecting books but these items only work in the same game when your current captain dies or retires, so you aren't able to just start a new game with stats that make things easier to get into it. Dying really isn't even that big of an issue, running out of money or fuel due to your terrible cargo space, low funds, and slow movement is. You will fail events constantly because so many of them will have a 15%-60% chance of success but the only negative to failing is usually more wasted time and the death of crew members (not named officer crew, just the crew that you use more for currency for stats and events that are easily replaceable, of course this also means that you can frequently die from losing your entire crew if you get really unlucky, so taking a smaller crew that will eat less food is not a good idea, causing you to waste even more time as you pay for and need to store additional supplies for the larger crew). Even the fear that you build up while sailing or from events seems like an afterthought because it is so easy to have reduced.

Having the ability to make your own save games and override the games rougelike design was a great option, because the game would be so much worse playing it in an ironman mode. It would be nice to have options to edit the game, most of the boring and time wasting aspects could just easily be removed or have simple solutions like adding storage at your house (could even be based on the size of your house since you can have three different ones).

https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/693858096028848128
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/693860886813896704
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/693862231155433472
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/693864792054861824

Game: Ironsnout

When: 31/01/16

Well I think it's safe to say I've seen everything this game has to offer. I don't know what to say about it, it's like one finger death punch but with a pig, and you just play until you have this enormous pain in your wrist.

Good for wasting time.

I just completed Dawn of War:Soulstorm

Took me 16 hours

I played as the imperial guard, and the campaign has no difference no matter which faction you pick besides some wall of text that explains the story.

It's the 4th and last installment in the Dawn of War 1 series and features all the factions except the Tyranids (which would be available in Dawn Of war 2)

Soulstorm is very similar to Dark crusade as it also has a "risk" feel to it. 

But it's basically skirmish against the AI which gets tedious in the long run.

It's allright, if you enjoyed the other Dawn of war games you will most likely enjoy this as well 

Completed: Pony Island
Time: 2 Hours

Pony Island is a puzzle and platforming game where after attempting to repair a malfunctioning arcade machine you end up trapped playing a game designed by the devil. A game with some similarities to something like The Stanley Parable or The Beginners Guide in how it plays with normal gaming concepts and ideas to make something interesting. Pony Island is easily worth trying for the low asking price. Near the end the game uses Steam in the best way that I've seen.

https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/695253170579050496
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/695254395928195072
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/695254607153377280

Completed: Tomb Raider 2013 & Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Time: 10 hours for Tomb Raider; 17 hours for Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider 2013 Well the first game was a tad worse than the 2016 iteration. While the action was tons of fun(Lara is the new Kratos), the story was pretty cliche and weak. But then again, I don't think the main point here was the story, really. After all it's an action game, and of course the focus is on the action itself. The crafting was pretty basic, and although you could hunt animals the bonus they offered were pretty meh. The graphics look good, the only complain that I can have regarding the overall look being the facial animations, which were shit. The game is semi scripted, in a sense that you get these larger zones where you can hunt, salvage materials, or explore tombs, and then there are also parts with very strict, close to on rails movement. But it's okay, because balancing them both makes it for an interesting type of gameplay. The game has tons of QTE's, and while interesting at first eventually they are gonna become predictable and even boring. The people that made this game apparently had a passion for seeing Lara get hurt. But what can I say, purification through pain eh? If that's the only way then. 

The game is kinda short, but then again if it would've been longer I would probably have to turn into some kind of demon that slays every cultist alive. And speaking of cultist, man oh man, the "bad guy" is doing a very good job at making you hate him. His motives are meh, good I guess, but the attitude is something of a more evil/obnoxious Vaas.

Decent game overall. 7.5/10

Rise of the Tomb Raider Although it followed the same formula as its predecessor, ROTTR improved in almost every aspect that the 2013 iteration failed to deliver. The first thing that hits you are the graphics, which I think that are the best graphics that I've seen in a long time. Whatever they did with the graphics the game doesn't even come close to what's on the market atm. So it's a pretty game with a pretty protagonist. The facial animations look real, coupled with all the small details that are specific. And I'm not talking about Lara this time. Every character has amazingly good facial animations. The gameplay is the same at its core, but the aspects of it are changed or improved. Hunting is actually important now, as it provides you with resources for your weapons and skins for making new outfits. And besides hunting you also have a new crafting system which adds more variety to the table.You can now craft different types of arrows, or even pouches for more bullets/arrows/more health-kits. The system is very close to the one from Far Cry and IMO that's not a bad thing. The skill tree is more useful now rather than what the previous game had to offer. You now have truely important talents like more HP, more damage, better crafting perks, perks that give you an easier time while hunting, and so on.

Onto the gameplay, they did reduce the number of encounters/enemies. So it's not a slaughterhouse anymore. Instead enemies are tougher and harder to kill. Heck the bad guys(Trinity) even have armored ninja like warriors that can reduce you to ash pretty fast if you're playing on hard, or you're unprepared. They also introduced cans and bottles that you can use on the go either to distract someone while sneaking(and yes if you are good enough you can do it MGS style) or craft shrapnel bombs or gizmos on the go to help you in combat.

Now the combat itself plays a lesser part of the game now, the other part being mostly focused on movement(climbing, using ropes, jumps etc). Tombs are in a greater number, and even though I only took my time to complete 1 or 2 tombs, for the die hard fans of the series they do bring up the fun.

Again the story is not the best, but it's a tad more interesting than what 2013 pulled up. However I felt that the villain(or should I say villains?) is a weak one. On the QTE aspect and the sadism that Lara is put under, these two parts have been toned down. At least the sadism, has been toned down for good I think. The QTE's are still there but in a lesser number.

The game is less scripted with less "Michael Bay" moments and more open areas.

I felt that ROTTR is a much needed improvement over the problems that Tomb Raider 2013 had. It's nice to see that devs actually listened to what people had to say, and improved on the aspects that were kinda shaky. 

A very good game this one 8.5/10

Crazycrab likes this

Took a shot at Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, wasn't impressed overall but after Borderlands 2 I might be burned out on it.

Patapon 2 and 3: Wonderful rhythm games on PsP that I decided to take another crack at starting in December and finishing both last week.

Fallout 4, again: Do I really need to explain?

Guilty Gear Xrd: A great 2D fighting game. Fast pace, awesome characters, beats the hell out of Mortal Kombat in my opinion.

I Ninja: A character action game on the Ps2 developed by Argonaut. Gameplay is kinda repetitive, but the style of everything makes me not care at all.

Grim Fandango Remastered: An excellent remastering of the classic Double Fine adventure.

Tropico 4 and 5: I prefer 4 over 5, and to be honest I replayed these to buff up my completion number since the campaigns are short and easy.

Rebel Galaxy: The name says it all. Take the Terran culture from SC2, put yourself at the helm of a ship and take on everything from pirates to cults to jumping into a star. Everything is handled on a 2D movement plane, so broadside combat is the way to fight with turrets and shields to supplement your offensive. The campaign is long and full of great characters, and the wide array of side activities will keep you busy for days.. possibly months.

Factorio: An indie game where the goal is to build a factory and prepare the planet for the arrival of a colonist ship. The learning curve for the game is a bit steep; think about the first time you played Minecraft and go from there. Once you get a feel for the mechanics it isn't difficult to build efficient systems and quickly work your way up the research tree. 

Skyborn: It's an RPG Maker game, and I only played it because I got it in a Humble Bundle.

Total Games: 12

Think I'll add to the list as well.

Games I've beaten so far in 2016:

Infamous: Second Son. Took about 25 hours since I decided to 100% it. Working on my second playthrough now for the Platinum.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. What a fucking heart breaker this was. After putting about 15 hours into it(About 2 hours left in the story), my game crashed and corrupted my save. Luckily, my brother had figured out a way around this and let me complete it from where he was on his save; which was luckily only about an hour behind where I was in the story. Despite the fact that Square Enix never patched this problem, it was still a pretty good game.

Just Cause 3. This game was an absolute joy to play. Put about 25 hours into it.

Battlefield 4 Campaign. Took less than 10 hours, but wasn't the worst story ever, I suppose. Enjoying the hell out of the multiplayer now even though I'm extremely late to the party on this game.

Rocket League: I finally got the Platinum that I had been avoiding for months. Deleted it immediately after though; wasn't really worth keeping.

Metal Gear Solid V. Got this game the day it released but I took my sweet time with it and I'm so happy I did. After about 110 hours in this game, all I can say about it is that it's a masterpiece. Despite the ending.

The Lost Mythology - Uploaded a video of it, link in this thread.

5) Punch Quest
Platform: iPhone

OOOOHHHHH I LUV THIS GEM SO MUNCHHAAAAA!!! So simple, and so much fun! The game is just you as a boxer punching ogres, skeletons, zombies or whatever enemies you can find, and the goal is just to complete 3 sets of objectives which will level you up each time you complete one. There's a ton of objectives, and when you reach level 50, you will ascend a Gnome into Godhood, and you will receive rewards like accessories or gold. Lots and lots of gold.

I can't stop playing this game man. Soooo good. And it's free! PC needs this game.

Punch Quest has an end? Thought it was an Infinite Runner type game.

Completed: Firewatch

Platform: PlayStation 4

Time: 4 hours (Roughly, depends how much you get lost)

Firewatch_logo.png

In one sitting I played through all of Firewatch. Many of you may think that is outrageous and already deem the game a failure because of that short fact. I might also say the game doesn't really give itself much replay value. You play once, you pretty much done it all. You seen the story and got all the trophies (can't miss them). The world while large has very little to nothing in it, you'll hear animals and very rarely see them (I think I saw 1.. once, probably scripted too). So, right now it must seem I don't got much of a defense for this game do I... sounds like I am telling you not to play this game huh?

What Firewatch does right is in it's delivery. It's not trying to be something big, it's not trying to be another genre than it is. It's a game that knows what it is, and knows what it's story is. Firewatch is not breaking new indie grounds of story telling or gameplay. It's not game of the year material. What Firewatch does is delivers what it knows it can do, a solid game with a solid and heartfelt story. To be honest, I am happy with that. It was a nice change of scenery for a game to take me for a moment, stop me, and isolate me away from the problems games can present now a days.

Without spoiling, the best way to describe Firewatch...

Imagine Gone Home, but instead of a single house you instead are place in a large open and beautiful forest. And instead of people talking around you, someone is talking to you, while you talk back.

likes this

Game: Unreal II: The Awakening

Game Time: 7.4 hours

A decent game on its own merits, but as a sequel to Unreal, it didn't quite live up to the expectations I had after the first game. Final mission was annoying as all heck.

Rating: 3/5 stars

I have finished 2 games recently 

Buried: An interactive story and community college Hero: Trial by Fire

Buried took me 2 hours to complete 

Buried is as it says, an interactive story that will change (alot?) based upon your actions throughout the game.

On one side i like the game as it has atmospheric soundtrack and screenshots that both helps to set the "mood" of the certain scene

but on the other hand it's fairly short and might not have that much variety in the choices you make

Get it when it's 75 or 95 percent off.

Community college Hero: Trial by fire, other than a mouthful of a title.

This is another of the CYOA games. It took me 4 hours

This game is based around a college for superheroes, you're a new student, but there is a twist. you're the only one without superpowers. 

The game takes a lot of inspiration from 90's heroes and it's actually a pretty good game

Although the game ends somewhat on a cliffhanger untill the next part is released. 

I would recommend this if you are a fan of superheroes.

Completed: Shadow Warrior

Time: 20 hours

Platform: PC

It's good but it could've been better. A lot better. The gunplay and swordplay are amazingly good, they remind me of old DOOM. To be honest the entire game is based on DOOM's style of gameplay, and that is not a bad thing in itself. When it comes to sword play you do have a ton of ki/chi moves, which are of course made using combination of mouse and keyboard buttons. Regarding the gunplay, I would say that it could be representing by an ascending line. It starts off pretty weak but the more you advance it becomes quite good. Later in the game you get some pretty sweet weapons.

The gameplay is fast paced, and it can/will become repetitive. You kill a lot of demons on the way and most of the time they're the same type: flying demon, shield demon, big demon, smaller demons, and occasionally some big demons that spawn skeletons. It's fun at first but after a while it becomes mundane. The game's shining parts are the beginning and the end basically. The one that managed however to entertain the player is Hoji, your sidekick. If it wasn't for Hoji this game would've been a borefest.

Besides upgrading weapons, you can also gain new powers and passive bonuses, which should theoretically make you stronger. I say theoretically because I for one never felt those bonuses. Demons got progressively harder and I was hitting progressively weaker.

The story is meh. It gets really good by the end when you manage to complete the puzzle. But the gameplay is what keeps the game together not the story at all.

All in all the game ran fine. And it's logical, because after all it doesn't look that great either. Some character models looks just bad. If you try to take a look at the actual graphics(the game does a very good job at misleading by using "post processing effects" such as lighting, shadows, bloom, lens flare and what not.) they look pretty bad. I was under the impression that I played a game from 2006, not from 2013.

Last but not least until you get used to the game, you have a sense of being lost. Because the objective is very vague in itself, and there's no pointing where you have to go. Now for some this may be a good thing, not so much for me. The objective is generally marked by a flashing door. So, yeah pay attention to that.

6/10 Above average.

Just speedran a few games yesterday/today and wrapped up some ongoing campaigns.

Syndicate: The good old cyberpunk management game from Bullfrog, not the shitty fps remake.

Batman: Arkham City: The Completionist made me do it. Speedran 100% in 41 hours.

Dungeon Keeper: It's good to be bad.

Impire: The very forgettable spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper.

Theme Hospital: Another classic Bullfrog management game. The name says it all.

Nox: An isometric Diablo-style RPG from Westwood that imo is better than Diablo as far as story goes, but class diversity leaves a lot to be desired.

Brutal Legend: Heavy metal hacky slashy strategy goodness.

New total: 19 games

For the remainder of February and March I will be dedicating time to Westwood RPGs, which I will go into more detail about for reviewing them.

Just speedran a few games yesterday/today and wrapped up some ongoing campaigns.

Syndicate: The good old cyberpunk management game from Bullfrog, not the shitty fps remake.

Batman: Arkham City: The Completionist made me do it. Speedran 100% in 41 hours.

Dungeon Keeper: It's good to be bad.

Impire: The very forgettable spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper.

Theme Hospital: Another classic Bullfrog management game. The name says it all.

Nox: An isometric Diablo-style RPG from Westwood that imo is better than Diablo as far as story goes, but class diversity leaves a lot to be desired.

Brutal Legend: Heavy metal hacky slashy strategy goodness.

New total: 19 games

For the remainder of February and March I will be dedicating time to Westwood RPGs, which I will go into more detail about for reviewing them.

Good list!  I love the old Bullfrog games and Brütal Legend fucking rocks!!!  \m/ \m/

The Lost Mythology - Uploaded a video of it, link in this thread.

Punch Quest has an end? Thought it was an Infinite Runner type game.

It has! You have to level up your character by doing quests until he reaches level 50. Then after that, a gnome will ascend to become God.

IMG_3691_zps627d14c3.png

And then after that the game restarts to new game +, with all the abilities that has been unlocked intact.

24) Kero Blaster

Platform: iPhone, PC

From the creator of Cave Story. This is a much more straightforward shoot em up game. Not a Metroidvania adventure game. Think contra, but with animals as characters. Excellent smooth gameplay with 4 different weapons to choose from, and each can be upgraded further to do more damage. Each enemies are weak to certain weapons. Like ice based enemies are weak to flamethrowers and stuff like that. There's also a lot of boss fights that are all fun to fight. Really good straightforward shoot em up game.

25) Thomas Was Alone

Platform: iPhone, PC

This game is...... A game. It's a puzzle game about the adventures of these square objects with different colors and characters.

thomas_was_alone_wallpaper_by_ausman101-

The one on the far left is Thomas, dark square yellow orange thingy is Chris, long yellow is John, and all the other squares has their names too. The story is told by the guy that voiced Shaun Hastings from Assassin's Creed, and he is so funny here. A lot of sarcasms and perfect gag delivery that makes me laugh.

The puzzles are all based around teamwork. Each squares has their purposes and can help other squares traverse through each puzzles. John can jump REALLY high, Chris can fit in to a small hole to press a switch that other's can't reach because they are too tall, and many more. The puzzles mix well with how the story unfolds, and surprisingly, as you play through the game, you will like each squares more and more, and when there's twists and turns happening, you will care about what happened to them. It's an odd2 game indeed, but it's really good overall.

The weird thing about the story is it ends in the middle, and then the second half has completely different characters and settings. The explanation is that the second half is supposed to be a sequel, but the dev decided to just make it all to one big game. Usually dev just cuts a game short with a cliffhanger and just release the sequels 1 or a fuckload of years later. Like Halo and Assassin's Creed. COUGH COUGH. My throat tickles when I said that. But it's great that a dev team don't do that sort of thing. It makes the game much more complete.

I said I would do more detailed reviews, but I guess it would be better to do bullet points otherwise my posts would be big walls of text.

The Settlers: Rise of an Empire - PC (GoG)

• The Settlers is a RTS based more on building an economy than actual combat.
  • Rise of an Empire actually is a bit more streamlined than past games, featuring at most a 3 step production chain to produce goods.
  • Upgrading your technology is based on meeting different economic requirements to upgrade a hero character, each of which give different benefits to trade and combat. 
  • Story campaign slowly introduces new stages of progression. Basically prep for multiplier.

Stronghold - PC (GoG or Steam)

• Castle building sim
  • 21 mission long military campaign, 5 mission economic campaign and multiple standalone missions
  • Excellent siege warfare using multiple units, each with unique abilities.

Airline Tycoon 2

• AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

New total: 22

It has! You have to level up your character by doing quests until he reaches level 50. Then after that, a gnome will ascend to become God.

IMG_3691_zps627d14c3.png

And then after that the game restarts to new game +, with all the abilities that has been unlocked intact.

Never thought of that as an ending when I saw it a few years back really.

Literally just finished the new gen Need For Speed game on the PS4 in 32 hours and 5 minutes.

My experience of this series started with NFS: Most Wanted (still my all time favourite) and then went on to include NFS: Undercover, so I can't say I'm a super fan of the series just someone who enjoys the occasional one, especially if it has cop chases in it. So how does this one compare to the previous?

Well it does pretty damn well as a stand alone game in my opinion. People entirely new to the series would be getting a good (but not great) introduction to the series. The racing is genuinely exciting and thrilling, and it had me on the edge of my seat as I was racing and drifting my way through every race, cursing as I missed a turn or screwed up. One of the best parts about this game is it's story, even though the story was entirely under-developed. I'm so tired of this generic dude that we never see or hear talk and always having one sided conversations in which he actually never participates in as our protagonist of the game (and one of the characters in the game actually mentions his silence as a kind of joke). I'd kill to have a NFS game with this kind of real life cutscene story with a protagonist we can see and hear talk to give them actual meaning to us. Also - I'm tired of playing as a male for NFS games. Can't think of a single one that has let you play as a female despite female racers being a thing (and some of the best characters in this game were female).

I did like the different branches of the story and the freedom that the game gives you in allowing you to pursue each path at your own pace and choosing, although I felt some branches were pushed to the side in favour of others. My all time favourite thing to do in Need For Speed is cop chases. There is nothing more nail biting in NFS games than being pursued by 20 cops & a helo while dodging roadspikes and smashing through roadblocks. But let's be honest, the cop chases in this game were utter watered down garbage. They are insanely easy to evade and you actually have to allow the pursuit to continue to reach the targets, and then evading once you reach them is easy as all hell. You maybe only have one or two cop cars chasing you until further heat levels where you could maybe then get 5 or 6 at most - an absolute shadow of what it used to be. No helicopters, roadblocks aren't manned by cop cars but are just fences (wtf?) although there are two types of roadblocks - one you can smash through (fences) and ones you can't (concrete). There is absolutely no Cost to State, so you can't watch your CtS rise as you destroy bus stop after bus stop. You can't immobilize cop cars (I rammed into one accidentally at around 200mph and NOTHING) which is an absolute farce because that was the funnest thing about cop chases. The biggest disappointment though? No cop radio chatter. I absolutely love any game that allows you to hear the enemies react to you like Ace Combat or NFS: MW/Undercover. Hearing them barking out orders to each other, describing what I was doing and describing my car over the police radio was so immersive and I'm so sad it wasn't even in the game at all. The best thing we get is the cops shouting at us to slow down through their megaphone, which is in no way a replacement. The most annoying thing is that you get a text in the game at one point which mentions the radio chatter, as if teasing us about it's absence. 

I cannot praise the customization in the game enough. I loved how it all worked, especially the interface. I found the customization options to be rather substantial and spent ages making my cars look good (well at least what I consider good anyway :P). I did find the performance upgrades interface complicated and confusing though as I'm not a car nut so all those numbers meant nothing to me, I just went with bigger the better but I had no idea what I was making better. I missed the older styles where it was just a bar showing you power/accelration/top speed/handling etc and you could see what would improve with what you were buying, I feel like the option to switch between old & new style would have been appropriate. 

Characters in the game were all great, I actually liked them and grew kind of attached to them all! Although tbh the end of each branch kind of felt... weird. Like you just did all that awesome driving and the endings just didn't feel... substantial I guess. But the story throughout was pretty good, helping each character and getting to know them, although I wish there had been more interaction between character arcs and more recognition. You're constantly referred to as the "new guy" even if you've got a maxxed out Lambo and completed all but one of the character arcs.

The music was, as always in NFS, amazing. I'm actually planning to put them on my iPod! Also, I recognised some old music from Most Wanted which was an amazing throwback and made me yearn for a Most Wanted remake :( Collectibles in the game are kind of boring and not worth collecting unless you want to go for 100%, although you don't need to 100% the game to get the Platinum trophy which I just got (first one too!). 

Challenge wise the game is a great challenge. This is totally worth a buy I reckon, especially if you're into the NFS games. For those looking to get introduced to NFS, this is a good place to start as it introduces you well to the premises of NFS, but after completion you need to go and try one of the older ones to get the "true" NFS experience with real cop chases :P

Awesome experience. Well worth the money.  7/10 based on how much fun I had with the game and deducting points for the negatives I mentioned.

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Add Saint's Row 4 for the PC to my list, and it was in co-op with a friend through the entire game over a few weeks.

Batman: Arkham Origins (PC)

- Similar map to Arkham City, but has a larger underground network.

-Similar weapons to Arkham City, only real addition is the Shock Gloves

Are we sure this wasn't supposed to be DLC?

Sly Cooper Trilogy (PS2)

Sly Cooper and the Thevius Raccoonus

-Five uniquely themed regions with 8 missions per region.

-Acrobatic stealth and combat systems

-Large number of collectibles, which unlock new abilities, concept art and movies

Sly 2: Band of Thieves

-Improves upon all of Sly's moves from the first game

-Abilities can be bought for money instead of by item hunting

-2 new playable characters

-Larger maps in each region

-Longer campaign of nine regions with varying number of missions each

-Better puzzle based challenges blended with combat

Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves

-Further refined mechanics

-New flying and naval combat missions

-Challenge missions unlock extra movies and concept art (This was the first game I ever beat 100% in 2006)

-Even larger cast of characters, each with unique abilities but are locked to certain missions

-Local 2 player mode includes cops v. robbers, air and ship battles

.Hack//G.U.:Rebirth (PS2)

-This is the series Sword Art Online took concepts from.

-RPG set in a fictional MMO called "The World"

-Several hub zones linked via central "Chaos Gate"

-Millions of possible keyword combinations create a practically infinite number of areas to play in

New Total: 27

Completed: Dead Space 3 (not including Awakened DLC)

Time: 19 Hours

Oh, Dead Space, what have they done to you?  They gave you the Resident Evil 5/6 treatment, that's what they did to you.  Your jumpscares are almost gone, you are not scary at all, everything that made you a standout game was messily detatched like a Necromorph's limbs that just got shot off by a Plasma Cutter.

The gameplay mechanics were all still there, except now there was a redone weapon system that had you combining two weapons into one and had universal ammo.  This was...weird.  I wouldn't have minded it had I already not fallen in love with wielding four weapons at once, each with their own alt-fire mode (seriously, the harpoon launcher from Dead Space 2 that let me let loose a burst of electricity to cook oncoming enemies was one of the best thing ever) and ammo taking up precious space.  Sure, this system freed up limited inventory, but if your weapon system makes you run out of pistol ammo when you run out of rocket launcher ammo, you've done something wrong.

And the story/characters.  Dear god, gag me with a spoon.  I played the solo mode, so Isaac and Carver going from bumping heads to buddies was a completely jarring sudden right turn into "When the eff did this happen?" territory.  Isaac apparently falling in love with Ellie, despite having hallucinations of Nicole haunt him throughout Dead Space 1 and 2 (and try to kill him in 2)?  Didn't buy it.  The antagonistic way Robert Norton acted and his reasoning?  Horrendously handled.  Add in the complete lack of horrifying hallucinations, or anything memorable, the closest being the alien ruins which were nowhere near as spine-tingling as returning to the Ishimura in Dead Space 2, and Dead Space 3 was an utter disappointment.  It's not a bad game, but calling it a Dead Space game is like calling any of the main Resident Evil games past 4 a Resident Evil game, or an Silent Hill game past Silent Hill 4 a Silent Hill game.  Still...now that I've finished Dead Space 3, I'm considering buying the DLC, Dead Space 3: Awakened, to see if it does anything to redeem the less than impressive main game.  Or would it be a waste of good money?

Completed: Gravity Rush Remasterd

Playstation 4

Time: Not sure, around 10-12 hours total give or take

I plan on doing a more in depth review soon, but suffice to say I really enjoyed this. Love it on the vita, but if anything it plays better as a home console port. I can recommend this one.