• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2016)

442 posts in this topic

Game: Rogue Trooper 

Time: 6 hours 

It was a quite fun third person shooter.

The story does not really go anywhere, but it was still pretty neat 

The gameplay has some intersting features 

For example, you have 3 "bots" controlling different stuff

1 bot reloads your primary gun, another is the primary gun and makes you more accurate and the last helps you hack computers

and you have different special abilities that the "bots" can do, you can place a sentry, hologram and equip a silencer. 

it was a pretty neat game

Game: Stick 'Em Up 2

Platform: PC

Play Time: 30-ish minutes

Eh. It was fun while it lasted, but it doesn't really warrant a replay. At least trying to unlock the achievements will keep me entertained for a while longer. Controls are decent, if kinda loose for being a 2D platformer, and the music and visuals aren't the worst ever.

Rating: 3/5 stars

Game: Strider

Time: 8 Hours

Good game.  Classic metroidvania with a cyber-ninja twist.  Made me feel like a badass all the way through, except for the final level.  Screw the final level and its elevator.

Completed: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
Platform: Vita

Good voice acting. The main characters have an amusing relationship. Different enemy and bullet types change things up as do challenge and puzzle areas. More details on characters from Danganronpa 1 and 2, happy to see Nagito again. Lengthy and a lot of collectibles for more dialogue.

No subtitles for cutscenes. Having a bonus for hitting enemies in the eye with the poor Vita controls is annoying. Dropped items disappear if they are near area exits but it's not a problem you are likely to run into that often. Bullet can be customized with upgrades with some of them giving better effects when they are used together but they don't change anything other than the amount of damage they do and how many you can carry so the upgrades aren't interesting.

Game: Uncanney Valley 

Time: 82 minutes (or 1 hour and 22 minutes)

It's an interesting game, the gameplay is based around multiple playthroughs as it is quite a short game. 

everything you do will lead eventually lead to a different ending.

Im gonna play it again at a later point when i want to complete all of the achievements

Game: Broforce

Platform: PlayStation 4

broforce.png

April's a dry month for me in terms of games. So now that I have some free time I'm gonna spend it going into my back catalog of stockpiled games (Indie games from PS Plus/Unfinished games). First one was Broforce! What can I say about it? It's got that good old America spirit, and it's fun shouting out which of the "Bro's" is from what movie, because you've seen them all (Only didn't know one). There are some issues, there was this delay that would happen in every map after 3 seconds of starting up. It really fucks with you when you are doing those speed run challenges. Also the game's frame rate drops terribly once a lot of shit starts blowing up. Which again can be a pain when you're in those levels that force to have a ton of explosions. The connection over the network is... fine at the start (If you have above average connection, if not well you'll see some shit). But once you start playing for long periods of time over the network, weird game breaking shit will start happening. Some of those game breaking weird glitches even happen while couch-op'ing. The biggest and common glitch I've seen is when a player dies the game will think the player is alive, and hence it won't ever bring them back to life. So if anyone else dies, because of how the game works they won't be able to be revived until the dead/alive player is brought back to life. Last negative, fuck the final stage. Without spoiling for those who've not played that final stage... It becomes a giant rush to end, with very little moments to spare. If you quit at any point without finishing it you'll have to start all over from the beginning. Fuck that stage.

I've complained enough about it, it has a lot of faults. But if you enjoy it's theme and the style of game (Very Contra-ish) than you may enjoy Broforce! Between the frustrations, screaming, and bullshit glitches I can't say I didn't enjoy it. However, I don't see myself playing this game again alone, and most likely will play with friends over the couch (even with it glitches... which can make for some stupid fun).

Wolfenstein: The New Order

I played this on Uber difficulty and holy fuck it is hard. So, it's a Wolfenstein game. You get guns, shoot Nazis and blow shit up, not complicated at all.

*SPOILER CORNER*

The game starts with tease after tease of William "B.J." Blazkowicz being killed by having everything from giant pieces of rubble to a fucking airplane falling on his head, only to finally be incapacitated by a tiny piece of metal stabbing into his brain following an explosion. This injury leaves William a vegetable in the care of a Polish institution for around twelve years, until a Nazi kill team comes in and starts executing the patients and staff. William breaks out of the facility, killing everyone in his path, and escapes with the last surviving nurse to discover he is in the year 1960 and Nazis under William "Death's Head" Strauss have conquered the world.

*END OF SPOILER CORNER* (Don't cry that I told you the beginning of the story, I warned you.)

Gameplay is simple. Shoot stuff, stab stuff, don't get shot. Nothing fancy, no gimmicky mechanics, just shooting. You can gather weapon upgrades along the way by either finding them in the world or completing achievements to unlock perks. You can also carry any weapon akimbo to lay down more bullets to kill more people. Occasionally you will come across an enemy wearing armor that is pretty much just a bullet sponge unless you find their weak spot, usually the back, or use lasers and grenades.

That's pretty much all there is to say. For being so simple it is a really good game, an excellent throwback to classic shooters like the original Wolfenstein and Doom, although this game is not nearly as replayable because you're not likely to come across any new secrets that haven't already been found.

Completed: The Banner Saga

Played it when it released, had to play it again because I lost my save and will be starting the second game when it releases on the 19th.

The Banner Saga has you leading a group of warriors and civilians to escape the horde of Dredge that have been making their way through Human and Varl lands. You have to make choices and watch your supplies throughout your journey that will effect your caravan and the lives of those that fight in battle with you, certain choices can lead to characters leaving or being killed.

Making certain choices and winning battles will gain you renown which you can use to buy items in markets, buy supplies, or level up your characters. The renown system is one of the things that could use work as you never really have enough or have any need to buy items from the markets (except for supplies), characters that you spend a large amount of renown on can be killed or leave based on your choices or from story events, and there are a lot of events and stretches of area where supplies are scarce. Running out of supplies means that morale will go down, which effects the willpower stat in battle and will cause civilians and soldiers to die every day they go without food. Civilians aren't actually used for anything though and soldiers only matter when you run into large groups of enemies where you will enter a "war" and have to choose how to fight, you should always take the option to charge your enemies with your main characters because it will gain you the most renown and lose you the fewest soldiers, making the choices very uninteresting. Even the finale of the game that has you holding a town for a few days gives you a lot of what should be interesting options but the best thing to do is to always fight on the battlefield.

The battle system is turned based and has some good ideas, such as characters having armor and strength where strength represents how much damage someone does and their health. They also have a stat that shows how much armor they can break and willpower that can be used to fuel their active class ability and that can be used to move further, increase armor damage, or to increase strength damage. Trying to do strength attacks on a unit with higher armor will only do one damage and their armor may deflect the attack completely. It's a good system but is kind of ruined by the weird meta game it creates where you want to run around wounding all of the enemies instead of killing them due to the terrible turn order system the game uses. The turn order has one of your men goes followed by one of theirs, what this means is that if you are down to two enemies left they will keep getting turns while you have to play through your six characters, some that might be too far away or too wounded to attack the enemy. Luckily when you get down to one enemy your entire force gets to move before they do. Characters that lose all their strength in battle are wounded for 1-3 days and have their strength reduced by the number of days if they take part in a battle again, it's more of an annoyance than anything else, often they will heal during your travel between fights and it seems to go against the feel of the game where anyone could be killed. Battles are often very easy as well, which makes the war battles even stranger when hundred of enemies fight your hundreds of soldiers, and you easily win often losing only losing a dozen NPC soldiers by the end.

The game has you controlling two different forces throughout it and you end up not getting much time or interaction with most of the game's characters. Battles can still be fun when the turn order isn't causing problems and the game has great art, music, good writing, an interesting world, and some good choices to make along the way. Hopefully the sequel will give you more time and conversations with your main soldiers, improve the battle system, and allow for better and more detailed choices.

https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/721872859811872769
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/721875342277742596
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/721878285886496769

Game: Super Win the Game

Play Time: 4.9 hrs

Super Win the Game is pretty much your average retro-style 2D platformer. Nothing special about it really, but I have no major complaints either. The final "boss" was a positive surprise, though. And it apparently has a New Game+ of sorts, so that warrants trying a 100% run at the very least.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Game: Brothers in arms: Hell's Highway 

Time: 7 hours 

It was really good, alot of my complaints and dislikes that i had from the previous games were either fixed or polished.

This time around, the game takes place in Holland, under the operation Market Garden, where the Allied failed to advanced towards Germany.

Quite a good game 

Completed: Republique
Time: 8 Hours

Good use of environmental storytelling by finding audio messages, emails, etc on computers or lying around. Entertaining collectibles such as books that the oversee banned that he talks about when you look at them, floppy disks of video games that a character discusses in the first three chapters when you look at them, audio recordings, etc. Hope moves to keep away from guards on her own but the pathfinding doesn't always work well. Guards follow you to areas not designed for stealth where you can't hide from them. Guards just put you in cells for you to escape again when you are caught. A lot of collectibles, guard profiles, and puzzles kill immersion because every guard has a floppy disk of a video game that was stolen from one of the games characters (why floppies in modern time and this gets even more pointless when he stops talking about them in later chapters), guards have pictures and names based on Kickstarter backers which is fine but they all have an icon on their ID that says they are a Kickstarter backer, etc.

Episode 1 ends up feeling humorous thanks to the dialogue from the character Cooper and all video game commentary. The second episode things get a bit darker and you see more of how the place is run. The third episode is likely the strongest as it does the best job in showing you how the surveillance state works by having you dig up information to frame people for crimes with the help of the women running the newspaper. Episode 4 is where the game really goes downhill with boring and cliche plot points and everything just feels like it was rushed. You don't get to know Hope well, she has little agency until the very end of EP 5 thanks to you making all the decisions for her, and you don't even play as her in the fourth episode. The fifth episode gives you a choice between two options for your main goal in the episode but it is the shortest of the five and has you going through areas you have already seen. Ending is weirdly edited with what seem like very out of place dialogue.

https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/718932719271456768

Game: Ratchet & Clank
Platform: PS4
Time: 7 hours (to get 100% of course)

For a game that's based on the movie based on the game, it was really fun. Everything was spot on and at times not as difficult. Though it makes me want to try again and do it on Hard to see if I'll manage. I still need to get all the other trophies to get the big Platinum but that's what challenge mode is for.

Game: Invisible Inc. Console Edition

Platform: PlayStation 4

header.jpg?t=1427502263

Now I said I go back to some old games I needed to complete for my PS4, and Invisible Inc is new. Anyway! The game is a very enjoyable tactical, stealth, turn base, Xcom-ish game. It's fairly short depending on the options you take, but it's not the length of the game that makes this fun. It's that short factor that makes replay-ability interesting, all the missions you take are all randomized. So each time you play through again you can start with a different set of agents, different set of powers, different set of difficulty, and each mission is always different. Compare to Broforce, this is a nice change of pace. However one negative! The last mission has this weird slow down effect of trying to load so much in at once... ya.

Shit, forgot about this thread. And I've beaten so many games too. Since it'll be WAAAYY too long to explain, I'll just give a brief summary of the games I have beaten. All of these on PC unless I say otherwise.

41) Guns Gore and Cannoli.

Typical side scroller shooter with a mafioso, and a lot of mafia movie stereotypes. With zombies. It gets boring later since the enemies are mostly identical.

42) Republique: the whole 5 episodes. 

Finally the entire episodes has been released!! What sucks is that the plot about Hope and who she really is in the end are explained in a very subtle hint near the end of the game, but it's never fully elaborated on. Only bits and pieces are revealed to you, which makes you question what the hell is going on. 

43) A Bastard's Tale.

It's a side scroller hack and slash with heavy emphasis on blocking enemy attacks. REALLY hard but fun game. Reminds me of Bushido Blade, and the upcoming For Honor. Being really good at this game will definitely prepare you for For Honor later.

44) NightCry.

From the makers of the classic horror games Clock Tower, comes this hilariously bad z movie version of that game. It plays just like Clock Tower for SNES and PS1: a point and click adventure game where there is an assassin stalking you everywhere you go, and you can't do anything but run and hide. Unlike Clock Tower, this game has so many problems: REALLY outdated graphics, glitched as hell, extremely stiff gameplay where you have to click to move, story that is completely disjointed that jumps all over the place, and really bad voice acting. This is one of the worst game of 2016, but because I have played Clock Tower before, I ended up liking this game. It's a nice nostalgia trip to those games.

45) Hyper Light Drifter.

Made a review of this game.

Even though I hate the story because there's SO many potential to create a memorable lore, but the game just lazily decide to not give a clear answer to everything but instead just give bits and pieces so you just have to make the story up yourself, I really2 like the gameplay. Extremely well done combat and platforming. A Link to the Past, but much better. Minus the story.

46) Party Hard.

This is on Joe's number 9 best game of 2015........ this doesn't even deserve to be in any top 10 list. While it is fun for the first few times, it gets really frustrating later. So many times I only have 1 target left, and then the police showed up and arrested me, making me have to do an entire mission ALL OVER AGAIN, after 10 minutes of careful planning! GAAAHHHHHH!!!! Oddly enough, the game doesn't get harder, but it randomly gets harder. The missions in the middle of the game are WAYYYY harder than the missions at the end of the game. Also the game has a game breaking item: the smoke grenade. If you use this, you can kill everyone inside that smoke without needing to worry about getting caught. So the best strategy of this game: find smoke grenade, use, kill, game ends. 

This isn't like Hitman where there's multiple ways to play the game anyway you like and there's a dozen ways to kill someone, nonono, this is just a random killing game where you kill everyone in very limited ways. Sure there's environment kills, but that's only enough for 10 - 20 people out of 50. The rest, you either have to get REALLY lucky to not get caught, or just get the smoke grenade, or prepare to repeat the game over and over AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again because you got caught by the police, and you only have 4 - 1 targets left to kill.

Oh yeah, the game also have a story. That in the end makes no freaking sense whatsoever. Why is it that NO POLICE in USA manages to catch this killer?? Instead what happens is during the game, a witness will call the police, and when the police arrive to capture you, everytime you run faster than that police, the POLICE WILL GET TIRED AND LEAVE THE CRIME SCENE, EVEN THOUGH HE KNOWS THAT YOU ARE A MURDERER AND LET YOU KILL MORE PEOPLE!!! What kind of retards are these guys?? This game disrespects the police, making them just a bunch of useless morons that can't be bothered to do their own job! F#$k this game! You want to Party Hard game?? How about you Die Hard and Never Come Back??

47) Odallus the Dark Call

A game MASSIVELY inspired by old school games. Mainly Castlevania. Hell it even uses some sound effects from Symphony Of the Night! Really good game. The way the area selection works is like a selectable Ghost and Goblins map. Once you complete an area, you can later go back to that area you have completed to find secret paths, which leads to a secret area. Collect items, make yourself much stronger, and get 100% completion to get the full ending of the game. Similar to many Metroidvania games of the past.

48) Quantum Break

Also made a review of this game.

Joe may not like it, but I love it. It's definitely based on personal taste. Love it or hate it, that's up to the players to decide. 

49) Perloo (iPhone game)

This game's trailer

That's the game's story: THERE IS NONE. 

This is a selection of puzzle games where you either have to move your iPhone to move objects in the game, or solve optical illusions. Like the Hermann Grid.

HermannGrid.gif

See how there's black dots in some of the squares? One of this game's puzzle requires you to spot an actual black dot in that grid. It's way harder than it sounds. Especially when there's these many

hgi-std-crop.GIF

It's a pretty good brain teaser game.

50) Dark Souls 3.

Best Dark Souls game in the series. Better gameplay, better looking areas to visit, MUCH stronger and varied enemies, BEAUTIFUL music,

And those bosses man. Best collection of bosses in the series. And the best final boss in the series. Period. So far, GOTY of 2016. For Souls fans of course.

Completed: Helldivers

A top down co-op shooter where you are probably going to be killed by friendly fire more than by the three enemy forces. Amusing/terrifying use of Starship Troopers/American foreign policy style setting. A lot of different support features to call in and upgrade, even without any DLC, vehicles, airstrikes, heavy weapons, turrets, drones, etc. Three different enemy forces and 33 enemy types, different difficulty planets and different forces will make you use different loadouts to fit the situation.

Without the DLC the guns could use more variety, and upgrades are repeated. Terrible camera when you get four people. Joining players tend to drop on you. Lack of mission variety. Only one type of sidearm and a lot of players ended up wanting to refund upgrade points when they ended up hating the burst fire feature they gave the pistol.

Very fun game but it does start to become a grind to level up and it can be too easy if you have two or three people with you that have the slightest idea of what they should be doing.

https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/720673010164740096
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/721184118810148864
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/720827360807768065

51) The Banner Saga 2

This and the first game are almost exactly the same. Besides the continuation of the story and the new character classes. And much more rotoscope cutscenes. It's still a turn based game with the same mechanic, like your current health will determine how much damage an enemy will receive depending on their armor and health, the music are recycled with more new songs added, and the graphic is STILL OH SO BEAUTIFUL. For example: this cave.

C5EF83D80EC1ADDC1E8D797F529127ECCB811C83

Unfortunately, this game suffers from Halo 2 syndrome. As in the game ends with a giant cliffhanger that foreshadows the closure of the game later in the next game. So you'll end up with a sore feeling of "OH COME ON! NOTHING IS RESOLVED?? BULLSHIT!!". 

I suggest waiting for Banner Saga 3, and when 3 of these games are included into 1 giant trilogy pack. Much more fullfilling and cheaper than looking at that stupid cliffhanger and have to wait for 2 more freaking years, or whatever long it takes for the sequel.

Twisted Chi likes this

Completed: Contradiction Spot The Liar!

Live action mystery game, move around a town to solve a murder interviewing different people and match phrases that prove that they are lying. Clicking on arrows and names moves you around town and clicking on a magnifying glass can help you find important items. Very entertaining, mostly because the main characters odd movements, expressions, and tone make it look like he thinks he is in a very different world than the other actors. Paul Rand, played by Paul Darrow, is amazing.

Very unrealistic, and I don't mean in the usual video game way I mean at one point someone is going through their wallet and basically throws things out of it on the ground for you to pick up as you walk by. You then walk into his house and show him the things he drops which he just lets you keep for some reason. You have people threaten you, as a police officer, and you just kind of ignore it. There is also some weird time limit that the game gives your character, you need to solve the case in a day. This doesn't effect the game, it's just something your character has to do for some reason, which gets really funny when in one day you go back to visit every character you meet all over town a dozen times or more. Ending was poor and seemed rushed, they are making a sequel to continue the story.

Completed: Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

Platform: PSP

Crisis_Core.png

Final Fantasy VII has always been my personal favourite of the whole FF series. The whole world and it's characters just resonated the most with me. After many years of not owning a PSP I got one only to play this game. It takes on the story of the SOLDIER Zack and how his and Clouds story unfolded. 

Sometimes the story felt a bit convoluted and the whole Missions system felt a bit tagged on but the characters, especially Zack, were very likable. I did not finish all the Missions in the game because they just feel like a massive grind but finishing about 60% of them made you massively overpowerd for the main story. 

All in all I am very happy to have played this to get a fleshed out prelude to FF VII.

Completed: Company of Heroes 2

Almost seven years later it's more of an expansion than a sequel and most of what has been added is either more annoying or barely noticeable. Other German and American forces are DLC, British forces that play like they did in the last game are DLC again and don't have a campaign to go with it this time. The games AI may have gotten worse, or my expectations just increased. Campaign mostly involves you requesting more conscripts to somehow reinforce trained veteran groups.

Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Platform: Xbox 360

Total Playtime: 12 : 52 : 03

I've recently obtained MGS V and decided, since this will be the last Metal Gear Solid game I ever play ( I refuse to buy anymore Konami products ), that it would be a good idea to play through the entire series again. This is my third or fourth play through of this game ( which I am assuming is okay to add to this thread ), and it still serves to be my favorite Metal Gear game and my favorite sneaking game. I loved the gameplay, although it takes a moment or two to get used to the controls, and absolutely adore the story. The Boss and Naked Snake's characters are so well done. The Boss still, currently, my favorite video game soldier. 

Game: Spirits of Xanandu

Time: 1 hour and 39 minutes

It was allright, a bit short.

It was an interesting game that had a good atmosphere despite the simple graphics 

the gameplay is where the game falls a bit short. 

it is supposedly a horror game, but it's not that scary nor does the enemies pose that much of a threat.

but still and allright game

52) Enter the Gungeon.

This game sucks the life out of me. Holy shit this game is HARD!!! This is what you get if you mix Binding of Isacc with a bullet hell shooter game. Complete frustration, and also a lot of fun at the same time, especially after you FINALLY beat this game.

There's 4 characters you can play as: African American Doomguy, Han Solo, Hunter with her dog and one criminal lady. All of them wants to get this "Gun That Can Kill The Past" to change their traumatic past event and set things right. Pretty cool way to increase replayability. Later on in the game you can unlock 2 more characters, but sadly they don't have a past so after you beat the game with them, the game just ends.

You start the game with a pistol and items that each characters have. You gain health from random drops or shopkeepers scattered throughout the game. You gain weapons by looting chests that's locked most of the time, and you have to get keys. Sometimes you can just shoot those chests to get them if you don't have a key, but other times you will destroy the items inside and it'll turn into junk. These junks are sellable, and important for a sidequest to build a shortcut in the 4th dungeon. Keep that in mind.

Like any bullet hell games, there's a shitton of bullets that enemies will fire at you. And it gets freaking ridiculous in the last levels of the game. You will be likely to shout "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" after you are SO CLOSE to beating the game, and then you die because you fell into a hole or didn't see a bullet coming to you after you dodge the other bullets. And then you have to restart the entire game ALL OVER AGAIN. This game is freaking hardcore.

BTW, the last dungeon, the one you get after beating the game with all 4 characters, is just complete bullshit. Not only are the enemies freaking tough as hell, but THERE'S NO SHOPKEEPERS AND NO ITEM CHESTS. So you HAVE to get through this place with minimal damage, knowing how to dodge every bullet thrown at you, or else it's back to the beginning of the game. And that's not even counting the final boss. Holy cow this boss is just...... URRGHHHHHH. 3 forms, and all of them are ridiculously cheap. I started this fight with a TON of health, and I ended up having only 2 health left, with almost all of my ammo diminished. Good thing I beat this guy SO CLOSE to being killed. I don't ever want to play this stage ever again!!!

If you don't like Binding of Isacc, you'll probably tear your freaking hair out playing this game. If you like it though, go for it. You will be happy as hell playing such a challenging game.

Oh yes, and most likely after you play this game, you will not be able to get this song out of your head. 

Alright, now I'm going to play Dark Souls 3 again. New game + 2, and I still want to play this game. Holy cow.

Twisted Chi likes this

Completed: The Banner Saga 2

The Banner Saga 2 is an excellent sequel that improves on the original in many ways. Starting a new game allows you to choose which of the two characters you want to play as, with both giving you the same starting companions, items, renown, etc. The better option is to import your play-through of the first game, doing so causes the game to remember many of the choices made, the characters you have with you, the items you have gathered, renown you saved, experience of your characters, and it even carries over how many NPC clansmen and fighters remained with your former group.

Characters can gain higher levels and learn passive chance based abilities that I mostly just ignored, stat caps remain the same however, promotions now cost less renown and allow you to learn a second ability of their class while some of the main characters learn unique skill. The game has the same great art and music as the first title with backgrounds during travels getting more detailed and being more varied. Battles have been improved with new enemies, new classes, obstacles, objectives, etc.

Different events and conversations happen based on who your main character is and you see the other characters taking a more active role in events. Clansmen now can help by actively foraging for food and they can be converted into fighters by spending some time at your trainer. There are no more poorly done war sections where you choose the obvious choice to save more people, instead clansmen saved is based on your number of fighters and you get bonus renown depending on how many you are protecting. Items have also been made affordable in markets though you can still ignore them.

The game has you controlling two separate caravans with one being lead by either Rook or Alette and another being lead by a character who was only introduced near the end of the last game, a character with a very different way of doing things than either Rook or Alette. The Banner Saga 2 ends up being even better than the first game and I look forward to the finale.

https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/723263912414613504
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/726575148262789120
https://twitter.com/Legolas_Katarn/status/726953732202590209

Game: Nocturne in Yellow

Play Time: ~3 hrs

This game is a free indie game made by a small team of Doom community members for IGMC 2015. It runs on the GLOOME engine, which is essentially a commercial-friendly version of the Doom source port GZDoom. Seeing as the game was made in only about a week, it is predictably short, but the quality compensates for the relative shortness, if with a few shortcomings. For one, as there is no quicksaving per se and there is only a single save point in each level, it becomes quite frustrating to have to redo the same section over and over again. Also, the platforming in the penultimate level is incredibly frustrating, but at the same time, it's expected from an FPS game. (*cough* Half-Life *cough*) Finally, the boss of the same level is ridiculously hard and makes the final boss look almost like a joke by comparison.

Rating: 3/5 stars

Completed: Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet

Good setting and story, especially for Lovecraft fans. Music is good but there isn't much of it and it keeps looping. Mostly poor voice acting, but that can sometimes help with the setting. Some ridiculous moments, like attaching wings to yourself to fly off a lighthouse don't seem to fit the tone. Terrible UI and constant long pauses during conversations, I've never yelled cut so much while watching something before.