• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

24 posts in this topic

Alright so recently every time I come across mentions of a "season pass" in comment sections it's always bad.  I feel weird about this. I know that major AAA companys have turned this term from just a onetime payment on all season dlc to some evil thing. 

For example, I read something about Escape from Tarkov ( a Survival mmo that i'm looking forward to as of right now ) and it has a season pass. Now for me at least i'm not alarmed but it seems some people are already throwing up stuff like "ohh look EA 2.0" and i'm just like why?  A season pass doesn't mean bad things to come. Honestly season pass depending on the person can be a good thing and a way to save money. Witcher 3 has a season pass, includes 2 paid expansion. Was great value when i picked it up since i goth both expansions for 20 dollars. Battle of Tarkov i'm sure will either include new areas (since it's a mmo), so that's good. Honestly seeing "season pass" is a good thing. What it can mean is that they're already planning on adding new content to the game once it's out. 

But sadly because of Activision with Destiny, people just assume it's a way to lock on disc content behind a pay wall. Or that the company is just greedy. Another bad example would be Battlefront and it's season pass which was just adding more maps splitting the playerbase. Call of duty does the same with using as a way for someone to get the map packs. And in general this is not consumer friendly since your essentially encouraging them to split up the community. Though on the other end of the spectrum you have Rainbow Six siege. Which has all free maps coming to it; the season pass only contains early access to operators and exclusive camo's for season pass users. The only thing i find wrong in that is just value proposition.

So now to the subject why is "season pass" such a warning sign? before you just start shouting out hate, do a little research figure out what it includes and make your informed decision. Season pass doesn't have to be bad. In the case of the Witcher 3, and hopefully Escape from Tarkov a season pass can just be a easy way to get a discount on quality products.

Essentially take the words "season pass" and think well are they locking on disc content behind a pay wall or are they actually just showing that they have interest to expand the game after release. 

Let me know what are your thoughts on the matter and maybe you can shed some more light on the apparent evil that is a season pass. 

-fox out

- Edit / extension upon original thought while providing some different insights and possible ways to look at the subject.

"I'm honestly very surprised and glad about the popularity of this post, and after reading everyone's response; i feel that i can relate to the different views over such an idea.

Though I still have yet to see anyone really comment on the rest of my topic. What i'm talking about is the conclusion. That being the doing your own research. I still feel that we have yet to answer the core reason why i made this topic. That being the coherent hate that Season Pass gets in comments. Why would you shout your disdain. your mindless shouts of evil towards a notion in which you know nothing about. I understand being mad at destiny, battlefront, and any other game who's season pass is a joke and 100% not worth your time and money. In fact i'm still pissed about the destiny situation. The fact that activision has the audacity to rip a game apart and sell it for overpriced dlc. -shutters- \

but besides that. This post was to bring up the idea of not joining the hate train over a season pass and more so to sit back do your research then as an informed person make the decision to call the company out for the wrong it's doing to its consumers OR to praise them for their openness and respect for their continuation of content to a game you may love. 

For me this was true with the Witcher 3 and it's season pass. I did the research i saw what they were offering and I praised them for their open ended nature. As of now it was worth the extra 20 i spent on the game. I played the witcher 3 for another 20 hours cause of it. with the next expansion coming shortly i hope to return to the witcher 3 and add another 40 hours to my game time. 

Also you should think about WHO the season pass is for. As of COD and Battlefield it's for the people who are going to be playing that specific shooter for the rest of the year till the next game comes out. Now it's still horrible do to how consumer unfriendly it is to split the player base but still the season pass in those cases are meant for the people who want to spend the next 1000+ hours on their multiplayer game. And in that case honestly the season pass is more then worth it if you calculate how much you spent per hour of enjoyment you got out of the game.

I sincerely think that if your going to spend mass amounts of time in a game then dlc is well worth it to you to put some more variety into the game. so as i just mentioned were going to run some calculations. now a season pass can go anywhere from 20-40 dollars. so lets calculate off the most recent  bad example being battle fronts season pass and lets keep in mind that it's for the consumer that's going to be playing this game till the next battlefront or probably battlefield release.

50 dollars is the asking price of battlefronts season pass now lets take this and plug it into a formula. I personally use this as a way to justify to myself if it was worth the price i paid for the enjoyment i got.  $/hours, simple i know but it's a good way to honestly see how much you paid and how much enjoyment you got out of it. with Battlefront lets say we take a look at a real fan of the new game and he has lets say 400 hours already logged into the game. If he's going to be playing this game for the next year we can safely assume that he would put in at least another 600 hours into the game so using 600 being the hours he spent playing the game with dlc added.  50/600 = .083.

take that in now, so he spent 50 dollars and he's coming out to .08 cents is what hey paid for each hour of enjoyment. this is assuming the consumer loves the game and if they do, in most cases would also love new maps being added into the game (16 to be exact)

now take it like this. use what i use as a formula it's not the best formula but it gets the point across. You also need to keep in mind who a season pass is for. For a lot of us we don't want them. Were not going to cit on Cod or Battlefield for the next year or two, so logically to us it's a bad deal. Because a lot of us play 100's of games. and  if you're  a pc gamer this is especially true.  but for the person who doesnt play alot of different titles who loves this one game and every night when they get off work and have that little bit of spare time and they spend it on their favorite game. A season pass in a way is an easy, sometimes cheaper way to get the dlc without no hastle, and hopefully save a few bucks in the process. 

now i know this is not always true. I'm not trying to support the notion of the season pass. And I especially dislike season passes that include maps for a pvp game because it splits the community and in the long term will kill the game.  but like i've said time and time again we should really think about a season pass, what it means, what it includes, who it's meant for. And what does that mean to the rest of the consumer base of said game.

As some one said earlier that we've accepted that season passes are the norm. And honestly it's sad that is true. But there is a reason for it's creation there was a purpose and initially people really liked them otherwise they still wouldn't be here today. So what does that mean, it means they're not going away. I can promise you that, but we can help to make them better. make them more open. And you should remember that a season pass can be bought at any point in a games life cycle so honestly it's not a preorder. I bought battlefields 3 prem addition long after the last dlc had came out. and i guess this includes my thoughts on this. keep discussing if you want. I honestly think that we can go on for a while about this topic and what it means. I'm also going to include this  comment into the original post since i really expanded upon the idea."

Edited by Snowfox1008

It's because it removes the incentive for the company to provide content worthy of your money spent. It is essentially a preorder of DLC of unknown quantity and quality.

Many of these companies are not worthy of your trust. CD Projekt Red you can probably count on, though.

Season pass has been around for a long time.

I think one of the reasons is the "Buy our season pass" gets shoved in your face all the time. making you pay even more money when you have bought their game for example 60 $ and they are immediately trying to squeeze more money out of you. 

And people have been burned before, thus automatically being more cautious against games that has the same business practice

The mystery behind a season pass could also be a reason, alot of times you're only getting vague knowlegde of what you're actually getting. 

For example, the Escape from Tarkov game only has is  "Free access to all subsequent DLCs (Season pass)"

not alot of information, what are you getting in the DLCs?, how many DLCs will they release? Is it worth the price ? 

And with Escape From Tarkov, the season pass is already planned before the game even is out, thus giving away the idea that they are in fact putting content behind a paywall 

savagejoe444 and Mexiguy like this

I find it a bad practice only for the fact that you have no idea what you're going to get. You pay 30/40/50$ for something that could be either bad, good, or just the original game that was chopped into pieces *cough* destiny *cough. It's essentially pot luck.

If they have to discount you getting all the DLC at once when you have no idea what you're going to get it's a bad practice. Doesn't mean the DLC will be bad though you're definitely right on that, but the fact is that they're asking you for money when they haven't even revealed what you'll be getting. It encourages bad behavior is all.

It would be a much different story and not minded in the slightest if they offered the season pass alongside telling us/you what the content you're getting for it actually is and descriptions of each item. But the fact that they want you to give them money with little to no information is just bad fuckin design. 

Its as you said pretty much. I personally like the idea of a season pass, and I don't think micro transactions are inherently bad either. It is just that consumer trust is needed, and companies prove time and time again that we cannot trust them

I couldn't agree with you less.

The season pass, even when it's done at it's most fair, is a bullshit concept. It's basically a way to pre-order DLC usually completely blind to what it's actually worth. Even the game itself you probably don't know if it'll be worth it or not at that point.

At least when one pre-orders a game (don't though, if you can avoid it) you know you're getting a game and will know something about the game you're getting. With a season pass, you've barely got a clue at best and it only becomes worth it by making it cheaper than buying the DLC individually. However, it's the same people that decide the pricing for both the DLC and the season pass. So you see, it's a trap.

The worst thing about it, and the original post is the prime example is that people are starting to accept it as the norm, so expect to see the kind of crap with Battlefront and Destiny over and over from now on.

They're a waste of money and completely split the player base for the PvP. I've only ever bought a season pass for three games and so far that's it. The season pass for Arkham Knight was a waste of money and BF4's dlc wasn't even good (IDC what anyone says, Final Stand was awful).

I would rather have microtransactions in a game over a season pass any day.

Because you don't know what you are gonna get until t hey announce something. That's why i personally don't get em at all, who knows it all may  be garbage in the end, or unworthy of your time. That's why i personally 'd like to buy my dlc separately.

When I said I liked the idea of season passes, I was talking about getting the dlc in a cheapened bundle. Preferably after the dlc has been tried.

Shagger likes this

Season passes might be good value for certai situations sure... But the consumer has no clue if it is until too late.

Basically aski g people to pay for a season pass is like asking a stranger to invest in your stuff promising a return. Sometimes they deliver... But its still asking a complete stranger to trust you with thwir money.

When I said I liked the idea of season passes, I was talking about getting the dlc in a cheapened bundle. Preferably after the dlc has been tried.

In that respect, the season pass is OK, but that is not how it is advertised and sold. What you're talking is a bit of consumer wisdom on your part, but that doesn't excuse what the season pass is in principle.

BC-Dizzle likes this

My personal major gripe with season pass is you do not know the quality of the dlc you are paying in advance for, and sometimes you do not know how many you are paying for. For instance, if I had paid for a season pass and got say the first expansion for oblivion as well as horse armor but that is all I got I would have been pissed.

DELEVRYTHING likes this

I couldn't agree with you less.

The season pass, even when it's done at most fair, is a bullshit concept. It's basically a way to pre-order DLC useually completely blind to what it's actually worth. Even the game itself you probably don't know if it'll be worth it or not at that point.

At least when one pre-orders a game (don't though, if you can avoid it) you know you're getting a game and will know something about the game you're getting. With a season pass, you've barely got a clue at best and it only becomes worth it by making it cheaper than buying the DLC individually. However, it's the same people that decide the pricing for both the DLC and the season pass. So you see, it's a trap.

The worst thing about it, and the original post is the prime example is that people are starting to accept it as the norm, so expect to see the kind of crap with Battlefront and Destiny over and over from now on.

And it's only going to piss off more gamers with every day. If I want to get a complete package, I wait till I get the Game of the Year Edition or something.

Both DLC and Season passes are bullshit. They are removed parts of a game. So basically they sell you an incomplete game(advertised as complete) with the rest being DLC.

Season pass is even worse because you literally pay for nothing. Until they decide to announce what the DLC is gonna be. They should focus on EXPANSIONS which were the norm back in the day. You got a full game for your price and if you were willing to pay more you had also an expansion with it. When I say expansion I'm referring to stuff like Hearts of Stone, Dawnguard, Dawn of War soulstorm. 

4539958-1820996730-iDqTq.jpg

It's not necessarily bad if it's actually worth it, I think. As a prime example of a season pass done right, I can cite Bioshock Infinite - you got 3 DLC campaigns that added to the experience and didn't feel like ripoffs (i.e. they weren't mere alternate endings or some shit like that).

I don't have a problem with DLC in principle, I don't mind supporting a good game post release, I just don't want to be re sold stuff was developed for the main game and/or stuff that is on the disk. Asking to much? Battlefront offered a pack of two maps and a game mode two a couple of weeks after the game's launch. It was clearly developed for the main game, but I suspect wasn't ready for the game's launch, but to EA's credit they didn't charge for it. That is fine, but it's happend before where stuff like that has happened to game content and companies have charged for it.

I bought the Witcher 3 expansion pass and it was a great investment.

Still waiting for the second one but the first one already proved that it was worth it.

If the expansions for all of the games would be done with the same attention to details and quality I might be buying them more often.

Perfect example of how bad a season pass can be is rainbow 6 siege.  They announced the season pass was for sale but couldnt even say what it even got you.

The only purpose of them is so they can charge more for DLC then do these things to make it look like your getting a deal when infact your not.

I bought the Witcher 3 expansion pass and it was a great investment.

Still waiting for the second one but the first one already proved that it was worth it.

If the expansions for all of the games would be done with the same attention to details and quality I might be buying them more often.

I think the point here being that the bad practice of a season pass is the fact that it's pot luck. Even if all the DLC was good it's still bad practice to not let us know what we're getting for our money.

I'm honestly very surprised and glad about the popularity of this post, and after reading everyone's response; i feel that i can relate to the different views over such an idea.

Though I still have yet to see anyone really comment on the rest of my topic. What i'm talking about is the conclusion. That being the doing your own research. I still feel that we have yet to answer the core reason why i made this topic. That being the coherent hate that Season Pass gets in comments. Why would you shout your disdain. your mindless shouts of evil towards a notion in which you know nothing about. I understand being mad at destiny, battlefront, and any other game who's season pass is a joke and 100% not worth your time and money. In fact i'm still pissed about the destiny situation. The fact that activision has the audacity to rip a game apart and sell it for overpriced dlc. -shutters- \

but besides that. This post was to bring up the idea of not joining the hate train over a season pass and more so to sit back do your research then as an informed person make the decision to call the company out for the wrong it's doing to its consumers OR to praise them for their openness and respect for their continuation of content to a game you may love. 

For me this was true with the Witcher 3 and it's season pass. I did the research i saw what they were offering and I praised them for their open ended nature. As of now it was worth the extra 20 i spent on the game. I played the witcher 3 for another 20 hours cause of it. with the next expansion coming shortly i hope to return to the witcher 3 and add another 40 hours to my game time. 

Also you should think about WHO the season pass is for. As of COD and Battlefield it's for the people who are going to be playing that specific shooter for the rest of the year till the next game comes out. Now it's still horrible do to how consumer unfriendly it is to split the player base but still the season pass in those cases are meant for the people who want to spend the next 1000+ hours on their multiplayer game. And in that case honestly the season pass is more then worth it if you calculate how much you spent per hour of enjoyment you got out of the game.

I sincerely think that if your going to spend mass amounts of time in a game then dlc is well worth it to you to put some more variety into the game. so as i just mentioned were going to run some calculations. now a season pass can go anywhere from 20-40 dollars. so lets calculate off the most recent  bad example being battle fronts season pass and lets keep in mind that it's for the consumer that's going to be playing this game till the next battlefront or probably battlefield release.

50 dollars is the asking price of battlefronts season pass now lets take this and plug it into a formula. I personally use this as a way to justify to myself if it was worth the price i paid for the enjoyment i got.  $/hours, simple i know but it's a good way to honestly see how much you paid and how much enjoyment you got out of it. with Battlefront lets say we take a look at a real fan of the new game and he has lets say 400 hours already logged into the game. If he's going to be playing this game for the next year we can safely assume that he would put in at least another 600 hours into the game so using 600 being the hours he spent playing the game with dlc added.  50/600 = .083.

take that in now, so he spent 50 dollars and he's coming out to .08 cents is what hey paid for each hour of enjoyment. this is assuming the consumer loves the game and if they do, in most cases would also love new maps being added into the game (16 to be exact)

now take it like this. use what i use as a formula it's not the best formula but it gets the point across. You also need to keep in mind who a season pass is for. For a lot of us we don't want them. Were not going to cit on Cod or Battlefield for the next year or two, so logically to us it's a bad deal. Because a lot of us play 100's of games. and  if you're  a pc gamer this is especially true.  but for the person who doesnt play alot of different titles who loves this one game and every night when they get off work and have that little bit of spare time and they spend it on their favorite game. A season pass in a way is an easy, sometimes cheaper way to get the dlc without no hastle, and hopefully save a few bucks in the process. 

now i know this is not always true. I'm not trying to support the notion of the season pass. And I especially dislike season passes that include maps for a pvp game because it splits the community and in the long term will kill the game.  but like i've said time and time again we should really think about a season pass, what it means, what it includes, who it's meant for. And what does that mean to the rest of the consumer base of said game.

As some one said earlier that we've accepted that season passes are the norm. And honestly it's sad that is true. But their is a reason for it's creation their was a purpose and initially people really liked them otherwise they still wouldn't be here today. So what does that mean, it means they're not going away. I can promise you that, but we can help to make them better. make them more open. And you should remember that a season pass can be bought at any point in a games life cycle so honestly it's not a preorder. I bout battlefields 3 prem addition long after the last dlc had came out. and i guess this includes my thoughts on this. keep discussing if you want. I honestly think that we can go on for a while about this topic and what it means. I'm also going to include this  comment into the original post since i really expanded upon the idea.

Both DLC and Season passes are bullshit. They are removed parts of a game. So basically they sell you an incomplete game(advertised as complete) with the rest being DLC.

Season pass is even worse because you literally pay for nothing. Until they decide to announce what the DLC is gonna be. They should focus on EXPANSIONS which were the norm back in the day. You got a full game for your price and if you were willing to pay more you had also an expansion with it. When I say expansion I'm referring to stuff like Hearts of Stone, Dawnguard, Dawn of War soulstorm. 

4539958-1820996730-iDqTq.jpg

You hit the damn mail on the head there. If this is what gaming is going to be now, hell no. I want no part of it.

it depends on what company is behind the seasons pass and how much content the main game has.Games like witcher 3 have done it right with seasons pass.When it comes to season pass a bad example is with cod black ops 3.say you pay 60 dollars for the game, the season pass offers 4 map packs and 1 zombie map.Whats bad with this seasons pass is that you may have to shell out between 40-50 dollars again when you have already paid 60 for the main game?.´The other bad thing is that when you lock map packs behind a paywall, not the entire community can play it,it will split it instead.Why not just make it a paid expansion that will be worth your while depending on how the main game is or just make the map packs a free dlc, halo 4 had map packs that you had to pay for and that split the community.

The reason the Season Pass is such a dodgy thing is because a good 98% percent of the time, when a developer says their game will have a season pass they have no clue what they're going to do for the games DLC, they figure that out way later. There's also no guarantee that the DLC will even be good, and in the case of some games like Borderlands, how much of the deluge of DLC is actually included in the season pass. Also, there's a chance they'll never even end up releasing the amount of DLC they promise, just like Bioshock Infinite, that had a season pass for something like 3 bits of DLC, and only ever released 2 despite having a season pass that promised that amount.

If you want the most accurate and truthful opinion regarding Season Passes, watch these videos by Jim Sterling on the Jimquisition. These select videos all share a central theme, in that the game industry are using these business practices to squeeze out more money from their consumers. Season Passes are no exception. They may not all talk about season passes, but they help give you a bigger picture of the whole concept surrounding them.

WARNING: these videos contain explicit language and images of a guy in a wiener suit (although I assume most of the people on this site are adults that can handle a couple of curse words and a suit that poorly resembles male genitalia). At any rate, view at your own risk. Or leisure.

On-Disc DLC Cannot Be Justified:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNjpd6IvWY

Downloadable Discontent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gowln8rshs

Online Passes Are Bad for Everybody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mLuAzZvpsw

Reasons to Pass on Season Passes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCAYL0t9_Kg

DELEVRYTHING likes this