• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Cranky Cowboy

Corporate Censorship on Forums

19 posts in this topic

I'm in my 50s, and way back when, there were "BBS's" instead of forums and the internet.  Been online since back then, all the way till now and the Twitter generation.  In all those decades, I've never been banned.  Ever.  Not even close.  Until lately.

I noticed on a Steam forum posts disappearing, and people being banned.  When I ask why certain people were being banned, "I" was banned.  Although I usually only read the forums once or twice a week, I started to read them a couple times a day, to see if I could catch some of the posts being banned.  Sure enough, many of the posts I read, that disappeared, were from people complaining about a game which we released buggy and unfinished.  When I (foolishly) pointed out what I noticed, I was banned again (for a long time).

I wanted to fight back somehow, but how can you when anything you say is deleted, and your just banned again.  So although I wanted to find some way to counter the censorship, I finally gave up.  Until: I was on the XCOM 2 forums, and made comments about how the pre-purchasable DLC was yet another cancer on gaming.  Banned again.  Meanwhile people attacking anyone who mentioned the DLC, even those cussing and name calling, still have their posts up, and are not banned.

I decided the only way to have any chance to stop this, or at least talk to others about it, was the AJ forums.  At least here I don't have to worry about being banned for bringing up the subject.

Welcome to the AJSA forums. On the subject at hand, this kind of stuff is irritating. Companies should take that feedback on board to improve their games and services instead of just trying to just keep negative info from coming out.

AngriestSoldier likes this

I would agree with part of the statement, although inflammatory things like "Pre-order DLC is cancer," I can understand the community managers getting annoyed with.

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

I would agree with part of the statement, although inflammatory things like "Pre-order DLC is cancer," I can understand the community managers getting annoyed with.

Yeah, it's important to differentiate actual criticism and pointless hate comments.

baronrouker likes this

Yeah, it's important to differentiate actual criticism and pointless hate comments.

Even more so when in many cases there are going to be dozens of threads like that and usually a pinned thread with the developer addressing the issue (like they did with the Total War Warhammer game recently). Multiple people spamming a forum made to discuss a game by telling the developers they are a cancer on the industry is not going to get people any sympathy from pretty much anyone running forums or communities. For anyone not an active Steam user, you also mean banned from that developers personal section of the forums that they run, they aren't banning people from the entire Steam forums or the service themselves. Steam absolutely does have a problem with allowing completely broken games to be released on their service but developers do lack the ability to remove reviews of their products from the site so it is still pretty easy to get information like that out to people.

Sounds to me like the main issue with the majority of companies and not just in the business of gaming. I feel like its more they take particularly strong issues against anyone they feel is beneath them. If they didn't come up with it, they don't want to take it. Its completely absurd and in most cases I find its because it comes out being the person at the top not really knowing fully what their doing because its really the people below them that run the company. And even worse then the person at the top are those who are supposed to manage the lower departments who are pretty much the same way. Its the one's on the bottom that tend to be the one's that really know whats supposed to be done because they are the one's who do all the work to be able to see it.

They just take in the paycheck from their hard work because I mean there are some things any person can look at and just be like.... "Why the hell would you do that? That doesn't even begin to make sense" But those in charge take to the "figure it out" response when those below their position question it. The saddest part being you would be surprised at just how many companies have such individuals at the top that you would have never thought have them and you can only wonder how such people get into such positions (::cough:: connections) without any merit what so ever.

I can say I've seen it first hand where I've seen my old boss choose people based on paper work to fill a position that people who have been working for him for years should have had and then scratching his head in wondering why this person he just brought in who looked so good on paper works like complete and utter shit. Last guy lost the company over $22,000 and was a complete pushover.

I agree with the bannings. In real life out in public if people were to act in the same manner as they post offensive comments online... they would generally have to get themselves arrested and taken to court for a fair trial.

But I am one of those people that doesn't believe in fairness for the wicked.

Online people seem to not have those kind of rights. Post something bad and it's pretty quick to become ignored or banned and that's how it should be.

No second chances and no fair trial. And it does work.

I go to more and more sites and forums now and other social networking platforms because of the big banning influx... the horrible people are being thinned out a lot more.

Chances are if someone didn't like this comment and decided to troll me... I can just hit the report button without even responding to them directly. A good moderator will always make the right decision and either warn or ban the troller.

And that's only a good thing.

Even more so when in many cases there are going to be dozens of threads like that and usually a pinned thread with the developer addressing the issue (like they did with the Total War Warhammer game recently). Multiple people spamming a forum made to discuss a game by telling the developers they are a cancer on the industry is not going to get people any sympathy from pretty much anyone running forums or communities. For anyone not an active Steam user, you also mean banned from that developers personal section of the forums that they run, they aren't banning people from the entire Steam forums or the service themselves. Steam absolutely does have a problem with allowing completely broken games to be released on their service but developers do lack the ability to remove reviews of their products from the site so it is still pretty easy to get information like that out to people.

Then you have developers like Digital Homicide who not only censor criticism of their games on Steam, but also abuse the Copyright claim system on Youtube.

Then you have developers like Digital Homicide who not only censor criticism of their games on Steam, but also abuse the Copyright claim system on Youtube.

And we know stuff like that NEVER ends well.

I want to make it clear, I wrote "Pre-planned, Pre-orderable DLC is like a cancer on gaming".  If that's banable, I guess I'll have to change it to a more corporately approved malady.

But I'm also talking about being banned for asking why someone was banned.  Or pretty much any reason they can think of.  While people that attack you or call you FAR worse names than you ever thought about using (they defend the corp), are still posting away without a problem.  In fact, after seeing people being attacked, name called, and told over and over "That's just the way things are" when they were trying to communicate their frustration (or anger) about the DLC situation, I wrote the below in support of them (and was banned):

"There are 3 myths that some corporations and corporate toady's want you believe:

The first: Tell the customer it's his computer's fault, or his fault, for the games failings/bugs.

Second: It's just the way things are.  You have no right to complain.  You just have to give up and accept that you have to put up with bad corporate tactics.

Third: Name calling; insults; anything to make the customers with legitimate complaints feel uncomfortable by pointing out facts and failings.  This can even be organized from the corporate end (shills).

Always remember, you have every right to complain or call out a company that continues to use greed or shady tactics, instead of just releasing a stable, complete game for one price.  Don't let them bully you into silence or acceptance, or it will only get worse (for certain)."

tehbroots and DestinyDecade like this

like in the EA Forums.

criticism about Battlefield 3, about not having Mods or LAN Mode -> banned from the Forum and Origin Account banned.

criticism about Sim City, about not having offline mode while a modder successfully made it run well offline - > banned from the Forum and Origin Account banned.

criticism about Dead Space 3 -> dito.

criticism about Sims 4 -> dito.

tehbroots likes this

EA are bad for that, I commented on a EA forum about Mass Effect 3's infamous vanguard glitch and it was about 8 months in the games life. I asked them if they had any plans to fix this because it affects the enjoyment factor with constant rounds being missed due to falling through the map. and i was blocked for 3 months and the post was removed...

tehbroots likes this

like in the EA Forums.

criticism about Battlefield 3, about not having Mods or LAN Mode -> banned from the Forum and Origin Account banned.

criticism about Sim City, about not having offline mode while a modder successfully made it run well offline - > banned from the Forum and Origin Account banned.

criticism about Dead Space 3 -> dito.

criticism about Sims 4 -> dito.

And yet EA is still going.... damn.

And yet EA is still going.... damn.

because people are still buying:

- the Gold Card unboxing Simulator...erm..i mean FIFA/NBA/NHL/NFL etc...

- the "Wood is made of Titanium and Titanium is made of Wood" aka Need for Speed

- the american foreign policy simulator (Battlefield)

- the Space american foreign policy Simulator (Battlefront)

- the watered Down Version of Skyrim (Dragon Age 2 and 3)

- the "i can do things that i would never do in real life" (Sims)

- the "SEWAGE PLANT NEXT TO THE WATER SUPPLY" (Sim city)

I'm in my 50s, and way back when, there were "BBS's" instead of forums and the internet.  Been online since back then, all the way till now and the Twitter generation.  In all those decades, I've never been banned.  Ever.  Not even close.  Until lately.

I noticed on a Steam forum posts disappearing, and people being banned.  When I ask why certain people were being banned, "I" was banned.  Although I usually only read the forums once or twice a week, I started to read them a couple times a day, to see if I could catch some of the posts being banned.  Sure enough, many of the posts I read, that disappeared, were from people complaining about a game which we released buggy and unfinished.  When I (foolishly) pointed out what I noticed, I was banned again (for a long time).

I wanted to fight back somehow, but how can you when anything you say is deleted, and your just banned again.  So although I wanted to find some way to counter the censorship, I finally gave up.  Until: I was on the XCOM 2 forums, and made comments about how the pre-purchasable DLC was yet another cancer on gaming.  Banned again.  Meanwhile people attacking anyone who mentioned the DLC, even those cussing and name calling, still have their posts up, and are not banned.

I decided the only way to have any chance to stop this, or at least talk to others about it, was the AJ forums.  At least here I don't have to worry about being banned for bringing up the subject.

Welcome to the AJSA forums. On the subject at hand, this kind of stuff is irritating. Companies should take that feedback on board to improve their games and services instead of just trying to just keep negative info from coming out.

HAHAHAHAHA corporate has also infiltrated the forums did u not think i tried to rally others in protest for the companies ughhhh

I agree 100 percent 

It's a problem indeed. One thing is that big software companies (or any other company) is either ignoring or censoring the criticism, the other is small developers (maybe I should put developers in quotes in this case) in gaming industry besides hiding the criticism (for example by playing god in Steam forums subsections) also pay or offer something else valuable (game activation keys etc) in exchange of positive reviews or similar.

I haven't got any ban so far, but some topics or posts have been deleted time to time and I also got a suspension once from EA's FIFA forums by mentioning one certain forbidden word/phenomenon there (although I didn't write it out explicitly, but hinted to it). Most recent post deletion was during the Steam fiasco during the winter sale - someone was asking help in the Steam general discussions forum, how to separate Paypal from his/her Steam account and I told that that can, at that time, only be done on paypal webside from your account settings and I gave some instructions... 5 minutes later the post was deleted (I can't really think of a any valid reason for someone to do that).

Nowadays the standard seems to be that everything that is critical in some way or negative is taboo. Nobody (usually) wants to take that criticism and make some conclusions from it to improve the product, attitude or whatever.

undeadslayer4 likes this

It's a problem indeed. One thing is that big software companies (or any other company) is either ignoring or censoring the criticism, the other is small developers (maybe I should put developers in quotes in this case) in gaming industry besides hiding the criticism (for example by playing god in Steam forums subsections) also pay or offer something else valuable (game activation keys etc) in exchange of positive reviews or similar.

I haven't got any ban so far, but some topics or posts have been deleted time to time and I also got a suspension once from EA's FIFA forums by mentioning one certain forbidden word/phenomenon there (although I didn't write it out explicitly, but hinted to it). Most recent post deletion was during the Steam fiasco during the winter sale - someone was asking help in the Steam general discussions forum, how to separate Paypal from his/her Steam account and I told that that can, at that time, only be done on paypal webside from your account settings and I gave some instructions... 5 minutes later the post was deleted (I can't really think of a any valid reason for someone to do that).

Nowadays the standard seems to be that everything that is critical in some way or negative is taboo. Nobody (usually) wants to take that criticism and make some conclusions from it to improve the product, attitude or whatever.

hey joe made his first video making a complain about Madden and they didnt shut him down its how he become what he is today