• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Lhouraii

Angry Rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 posts in this topic

I'm sick of people making us feel guilty for gaming. It's a hobby, but not one that should be respected, apparently?

I have a BUNCH of other hobbies, so luckily people just leave me to it when I game... Appart from my mother.

She phones up and says 'What are you doing?' And I'll say 'trying out a new game'. She will reply with something like 'You shouldn't play games too much, you're wasting your life away'. So, it's gotten to the point where I will lie and says I'm working, and I feel guilty every time I play games now.

You should never be made to feel guilty for doing something you enjoy!

If I said 'I'm watching tv' that would be fine. But not gaming. Oh and she also plays games (Wii games, but still) so wtf?

The thing is, I have done a crazy amount of stuff with my life, I appear on tv and other media pretty often - I even get flown to different countries for it. I do charity work, I own my own business. I have done more than she has her whole life and yet she feels the need to judge me for my hobby?! She literally just sits and watches tv in her spare time. She would be happier if I just got married, had children and had no hobbies, like my sisters.

So, I want to say to everyone reading this:

Your life is yours. Do what you love. If you hate going outside then don't. If all you want to do is sit in all day and play games then do it. Don't feel guilty for enjoying your life, we all enjoy our lives differently and to try and force someone to live their life how you think they should is cruel and selfish. Live and let live!

That's all! GR!!!! I thought I would feel better after typing this but I don't!!!!

She phones up and says 'What are you doing?' And I'll say 'trying out a new game'. She will reply with something like 'You shouldn't play games too much, you're wasting your life away'. So, it's gotten to the point where I will lie and says I'm working, and I feel guilty every time I play games now.

The thing is, I have done a crazy amount of stuff with my life, I appear on tv and other media pretty often - I even get flown to different countries for it. I do charity work, I own my own business.

Well, perhaps next time you should say "I'm resting after work. So tired." and avoid saying anything about games. 

Wait, you're on tv pretty often?? Who are ye famous person??

Honestly, gaming is the natural evolution of the Human imagination and the sharing of ideas or beliefs. It is a medium which combines all other forms of art to create an immersive experience far richer than that of any book or song on the radio. Simply put, it is a testament to everything unique about our species. I never understood how anyone could possibly look down upon it, when it should actually be praised as a major accomplishment. Held to the same regard and level of respect as any masterful artwork.

Perhaps the real problem is that society became too full of itself. That social status associated with such things was deemed more important than the actual art itself. While the rest of humanity continued to evolve and still is, our society is developing at a slower pace, creating this tension.

Such people can call them what they will, however I have always viewed Gamers as being a breed all their own. Each Gamer possesses a state of mind which sets them apart from all the rest. I believe I came across a study once which theorized that our brains actually function and process data differently from others. We hold limitless potential, capable of shaping ourselves. Not unlike having the power to master one's own fate, though I suppose it would be more appropriate to say that we are not bound by such notions.

We reject their reality and substitute our own.

/End Late Night Philosophical Rambling

Lhouraii likes this

I have observed in complete awe at the stupidity (with due respect to your mother) of people who behave like that. "Gaming's a waste of time!" well, yeah! That's why it's called a pastime or a hobby. Nobody is gonna cure cancer or bring on world peace by playing golf, are they? That is such a dumb, ignorant statement that they don't even know why they're right!

Lhouraii likes this

Well, perhaps next time you should say "I'm resting after work. So tired." and avoid saying anything about games. 

Wait, you're on tv pretty often?? Who are ye famous person??

I shouldn't have to lie about it though, but you're probably right.

And haha no, I just go on often for my style and nail art. Also, I am the founder and former host of a shitty little internet award show. But I've also been on reality tv a few times too. But still, I

My parents stopped doing this when I was like 12 or so.

Honestly, gaming is the natural evolution of the Human imagination and the sharing of ideas or beliefs. It is a medium which combines all other forms of art to create an immersive experience far richer than that of any book or song on the radio. Simply put, it is a testament to everything unique about our species. I never understood how anyone could possibly look down upon it, when it should actually be praised as a major accomplishment. Held to the same regard and level of respect as any masterful artwork.

Perhaps the real problem is that society became too full of itself. That social status associated with such things was deemed more important than the actual art itself. While the rest of humanity continued to evolve and still is, our society is developing at a slower pace, creating this tension.

Such people can call them what they will, however I have always viewed Gamers as being a breed all their own. Each Gamer possesses a state of mind which sets them apart from all the rest. I believe I came across a study once which theorized that our brains actually function and process data differently from others. We hold limitless potential, capable of shaping ourselves. Not unlike having the power to master one's own fate, though I suppose it would be more appropriate to say that we are not bound by such notions.

We reject their reality and substitute our own.

/End Late Night Philosophical Rambling

I really liked reading this! Well put! I agree, I also hold gamers higher than the rest!

I always have observe in awe at the stupidly (with due respect to your mother) of people who behave like that. "Gaming's a waste of time!" well, yeah! That's why it's called a pastime or a hobby. Nobody is gonna cure cancer or bring on world peace by playing golf, are they? That is such a dump, ignorant statement that they don't even know what they're right!

Haha omg, you're right! I will legit say that to her! 'No one will cure cancer from playing golf' >_<

I shouldn't have to lie about it though, but you're probably right.

And haha no, I just go on often for my style and nail art. Also, I am the founder and former host of a shitty little internet award show. But I've also been on reality tv a few times too. But still, I

Aww, but you have a business you are running. Ain't a lie if it's true.

Wow. So you're a fashion finger nail seller? That's cool! I bet a lot of girls bought that. They look great and detailed. You should be proud.

Lhouraii likes this

i agree.

"don't do (insert Hobby). your wasting your life/time away" could be applied to almost everything:

don't play football with your friends. Kicking a Ball around wastes your life away.

don't travel around. Sightseen is useless and is wasting your life away

don't go to the clubs every weekend. Standing around a bobbing your head to the beat is wasting your life away.

don't cruise around with you car/Bike at Sunday. Sensless driving around over and over again is wasting your life away.

don't draw Mangas. Drawing and reading Comics with Bubbles is wasting your life away.

don't watch movies and series. It's wasting your life away.

don't sleep too much. laying and snooze around is wasting your life away.

...etc

You only have to work and pay taxes.

why do you live anyway?

You get the idea. Just let the others talk. Live your life.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”

- John Lennon -

Lhouraii likes this

i agree.

"don't do (insert Hobby). your wasting your life/time away" could be applied to almost everything:

don't play football with your friends. Kicking a Ball around wastes your life away.

don't go to the clubs every weekend. Standing around a bobbing your head to the beat is wasting your life away.

don't cruise around with you car/Bike at Sunday. Sensless driving around over and over again is wasting your life away.

don't draw Mangas. Drawing and reading Comics with Bubbles is wasting your life away.

...etc

why do you live anyway?

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”

- John Lennon -

That quote goes so well! But you're right!

People must think they are so perfect, judging everyone around them as if they have no flaws! GR!!!!

'You shouldn't play games too much, you're wasting your life away'.

That's usually what is said by people when it comes to any hobby that they don't understand or not understanding technology or human interaction and psycology when it comes to things like people telling others to spend less time on their phones. I've always thought the problem is that most people don't have hobbies and instead spend their lives trying to do things that is expected of them by society, in America it would be more focused on make more money, get a big house, and, even more so for women, get married and have kids. I've known very few people that enjoy their lives or that have hobbies, the ones that have a hobby tend to enjoy life and accept what others do for their own enjoyment.

Lhouraii likes this

i agree.

...etc

why do you live anyway?

- John Lennon -

akntZ4x.jpg

Fortunately my wife does not have anything against me playing games, even though she is not a gamer herself.

My mom, on the other hand says similar things, so that does not change even when your are older ;)

It's just one of those things parents say.

She says the same thing when she hears that I'm going out with some friends.

That's life ;)

Lhouraii likes this

Fortunately, I'm past the age where I gave a damn about what others think about me or my hobbies.

C.S. Lewis agreed, don't bother him about it.

4537ae1c9a.png

Lhouraii and GLXLynx like this

That's the double standard isn't it? It's acceptable to watch hours upon hours of TV, but those people who do that see gaming as a waste of time.

There's even people saying things about how people seeing others playing games on their phone is ok, but a grown man pulling out a DS (or Vita) and playing on it in public is considered a man child.

Lhouraii likes this

That's the double standard isn't it? It's acceptable to watch hours upon hours of TV, but those people who do that see gaming as a waste of time.

There's even people saying things about how people seeing others playing games on their phone is ok, but a grown man pulling out a DS (or Vita) and playing on it in public is considered a man child.

Spend 4-6 hours a day (including work hours) playing farmville/candy crush/whatever flavor-of-the-month freemium crap is popular right now? A-OK

Spend 1-2 hours of your free time playing an online game at your home? You have a serious gaming addiction.

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

Spend 4-6 hours a day (including work hours) playing farmville/candy crush/whatever flavor-of-the-month freemium crap is popular right now? A-OK

Spend 1-2 hours of your free time playing an online game at your home? You have a serious gaming addiction.

Omg, yes! My mum actually plays Candy Crush so much, she's on like level 400 or something I think! She also plays Wii games, but she tries to limit herself with those.

I really don't get it.

The co-founder of vice made a video where he says "games are for little kids" and goes on to say how an adult playing video games is pathetic, anyone who likes comic books is "special" (implying mentally challenged), and that even reading fiction is a niche hobby. He also goes on to say that watching tv is a vice and men should instead learn how to repar a fridge or build a table. This guy sounds super fun at parties.

Also will add link to a guy responding to it in a minute. Have to post from my phone.

Edit: here's link.

The co-founder of vice made a video where he says "games are for little kids" and goes on to say how an adult playing video games is pathetic, anyone who likes comic books is "special" (implying mentally challenged), and that even reading fiction is a niche hobby. He also goes on to say that watching tv is a vice and men should instead learn how to repar a fridge or build a table. This guy sounds super fun at parties.

Also will add link to a guy responding to it in a minute. Have to post from my phone.

Edit: here's link.

What a moron.

Mila Kunis, Megan Fox, Vin Deisal - these people are all adult gamers and nowhere near 'pathetic'.

Imo, 'pathetic' is thinking that you can look down on others for enjoying their life.

I'll go watch that response video now - thanks for posting!

What a moron.

Mila Kunis, Megan Fox, Vin Deisal - these people are all adult gamers and nowhere near 'pathetic'.

Imo, 'pathetic' is thinking that you can look down on others for enjoying their life.

I'll go watch that response video now - thanks for posting!

I actually heard Vin Diesal is a huge DnD player and even his birthday cake was made to like like the rulebook. Wonder what class he plays

I actually heard Vin Diesal is a huge DnD player and even his birthday cake was made to like like the rulebook. Wonder what class he plays

Witch Hunter, lol