• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

Weekly News Round Up 1-12-2016

4 posts in this topic

This week the Oculus Rift's price is confirmed, GDC award nominations, one of the best speedrunners is no longer able to do speedruns and gives an interview, XCOM 2, Epic accidentally blocks man from service for having the wrong name, Psychonauts 2 is funded, Amazon Prime members to get video game discounts, Smite world championship, pirates forecast the death of game piracy, did Fallout 4 really feel like a post-apocalyptic setting, and a film nerd explains why she loves video games.

This_Week_In_Gaming.png

Oculus Rift Price Finally Confirmed

The Oculus Rift base preorder package, which comes with an Xbox One controller, Oculus Remote, a sensor, and free copies of Eve: Valkyrie and Lucky's Tale (as well as all the cables you need to get started), will cost $600. The headset starts shipping on March 28. There is a limit of 1 per customer.

IMG_2965_0.jpg

Some additional information about the Oculus, Oculus CEO offers pricing explanation and apologizes for 'poor messaging', Oculus is set to get more than 100 new games this year, and This is why people will pay $1,500 for an Oculus Rift and the PC to run it

A thread to discuss the Oculus price was created here

Killing Floor 2 on Xbox One seems "very likely," says developer

Killing_Floor_2_Slow_Motion_Pistols.jpg

It won't show up before the PC and PS4 version fully releases but for One owners that are interested in the game this is good news.

Psychonauts 2 was funded

With a few hours left before funding ends the game has passed its goal by over $300,000. Tim Schafer did a Reddit AmA where he talked about game development, managing teams, and answered questions by people who believe that he has incompetently managed and gone over budget with every game he makes while also going under budget in order to steal development funds, trolls, people with legitimate questions and concerns, and people with no understanding of how game development works.

CYd6_WDWUQAABDf_H.png

CYe_MQn_JUMAAB4p5.png

CYe_X55a_U0_AANQ_O.png

Flummoxed by Just Cause 3, pirates forecast the death of game piracy

While it seems incredibly unlikely that game piracy will ever completely stop, developers may find this proclamation intriguing because, as TorrentFreak reports, it's based on how tricky a time 3DM is having cracking Avalanche's Just Cause 3, which is protected (in part) by Denuvo Anti-Tampering technology.

The (reportedly pricey) Denuvo tech is intriguing because it doesn't bill itself as DRM; instead, it seeks to protect extant DRM solutions (like Steam, or Electronic Arts' Origin platform) by preventing people from tampering with their code.

Sales Figures for 2015 Show That Video Gaming Is Bigger Than Movies and Music In the UK

Witcher 3 Dev Says There's No Enhanced Edition Coming

Some European stores listed an Enhanced Edition of The Witcher 3 as going on sale in February, CDPR says that this is just an error.

Descent Designer Says Interplay Owes Him Tens Of Thousands In Royalties

eykqadvfe8pebhb2lshe.jpg

The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 5 lead 2016 Game Developers Choice Awards nominees

GAME OF THE YEAR
Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt Red / CD Projekt)
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (Kojima Productions / Konami)
Bloodborne (FromSoftware / Sony Computer Entertainment)
Rocket League (Psyonix)

Honorable Mentions: Her Story (Sam Barlow), Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 / Nintendo), Undertale (Toby Fox), Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2 / Nintendo), Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix)

INNOVATION AWARD
Her Story (Sam Barlow)
Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 / Nintendo)
Undertale (Toby Fox)
Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2 / Nintendo)
The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.)

Honorable Mentions: Rocket League (Psyonix), Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (Steel Crate Games), Cibele (Star Maid Games), Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix), Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain(Kojima Productions / Konami)

BEST DEBUT
Studio Wildcard (Ark: Survival Evolved)
Toby Fox (Undertale)
Moon Studios (Ori and the Blind Forest)
Moppin (Downwell)
Steel Crate Games (Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes)

Honorable Mentions: Asteroid Base (Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime), Question (The Magic Circle), Thomas Happ (Axiom Verge), Dinosaur Polo Club (Mini Metro), MidBoss (Read Only Memories)

BEST DESIGN
Rocket League (Psyonix)

Honorable Mentions: Her Story (Sam Barlow), Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 / Nintendo), Undertale (Toby Fox), The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt Red / CD Projekt), Ori and the Blind Forest(Moon Studios / Microsoft Studios)

BEST HANDHELD/MOBILE GAME
Lara Croft: Go (Square Enix Montréal / Square Enix)
Fallout Shelter (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)
Downwell (Moppin / Devolver Digital)
Her Story (Sam Barlow)
AlphaBear (Spry Fox)

Honorable Mentions: Prune (Joel McDonald), The Room Three (Fireproof Games), Subterfuge (Ron Carmel and Noel Llopis), Pac-Man 256 (Hipster Whale and 3 Sprockets / BANDAI NAMCO), Sage Solitaire (Zach Gage), SteamWorld Heist (Image and Form), You Must Build a Boat (EightyEight Games)

BEST VISUAL ART
Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios / Microsoft Studios)
Star Wars Battlefront (DICE / Electronic Arts)

Honorable Mentions: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (Kojima Productions / Konami), Rise of the Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics / Square Enix), Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady Studios / Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment), The Order: 1886 (Ready at Dawn / Sony Computer Entertainment), Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (The Chinese Room / Sony Computer Entertainment), Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)

BEST NARRATIVE
Her Story (Sam Barlow)
Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix)
Undertale (Toby Fox)
The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.)

Honorable Mentions: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (The Chinese Room / Sony Computer Entertainment), Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks), Until Dawn (Supermassive Games / Sony Computer Entertainment), Cibele (Star Maid Games), Soma (Frictional Games)

BEST AUDIO
Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios / Microsoft Studios)
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (The Chinese Room / Sony Computer Entertainment)
Crypt of the NecroDancer (Brace Yourself Games)

Honorable Mentions: Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks), The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt Red / CD Projekt), Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix), SOMA (Frictional Games), Bloodborne (FromSoftware / Sony Computer Entertainment), Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2 / Nintendo)

BEST TECHNOLOGY
Just Cause 3 (Avalanche Studios / Square Enix)

Honorable Mentions: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics / Square Enix), Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady Studios / Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment), Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2 / Nintendo), Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 / Nintendo), Halo 5: Guardians (343 Industries / Microsoft Studios)

An in-depth look at XCOM 2's character customization

xcom_2_sectopod.jpg

For more XCOM see Three reasons XCOM 2 will make you cry, Commander and XCOM 2's Sectopod is bigger than a house, has about a billion HP and will kill Sid Meier if you let it. On youtube ChristopherOdd has also been doing XCOM 2 videos showing the skill trees of each class and different kinds of missions that you can go on, while skipping over story related segments.

One of the World's Best Speedrunners Can't Speedrun Anymore

rvchr9rdtla27mvztxzs.jpg

Narcissa Wright: I think it’s all the years of playing games. But it got bad when Smash Wii U came out. I think I’m at 11,500 matches now. I played for long sessions. I was playing Melee at the same time too, and that’s even more demanding on your hands. If I play too long, it hurts a lot, and it hurts for a long time afterward. It’s been a huge problem. It’s made me feel like maybe I can’t get back into speedrunning as much as I want to with Castlevania and stuff.

I don’t have health insurance right now. I’m trying to get that settled. I walked into a physical therapy place, but they told me I need a doctor’s note and insurance. I want to get that figured out in 2016. In the meantime, I’ve been doing stuff like hand exercises—just trying to stretch my hands and take care of them. I also took a two week break from console gaming, and that’s helped a bit. But I still can’t do those long sessions.

This is a common problem, too. A lot of people have this problem. Particularly Smash players. But I think it happens in other games too. I think StarCraft players get hand problems as well, but I don’t know as much about that.

Smite World Championship Winning Team Picks up $500,000

The Smite World Championship 2016 ran from January 7-10 at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre in Atlanta and saw teams from North America, Europe, China, Oceania, Brazil and Latin America participate. The event had a prize pool of $1 million for the PC version of the game, while the Xbox One Invitational had a prize pool of $150,000.

Devs at Electronic Arts now have a bit more paid parental leave

It's a notable (and public) show of support for new mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents at the company. An EA representative told GamesIndustry.biz that it more than doubles the amount of paid parental leave time available to EA employees in every state save California, where EA employees were previously afforded 7 weeks of leave.

Epic mistake erroneously blocks man for being on U.S. watchlist

image.png

image.png

The Steam Winter Sale was a big success, even without flash sales

The Steam Winter Sale wrapped up last week, and it was apparently a good one for all involved. Steam Spy estimates that the sale brought in “at least” $270 million in revenue, which is nearly double the amount rung up during the most recent Steam Summer Sale. Note that those figures are estimates based on incomplete data and, as site founder Sergey Galyonkin acknowledged on Medium, therefore “not 100 percent accurate.” But in a recap message posted in the private Steamworks group that somehow ended up on the SteamVR page, and from there to SteamDB (and has been verified by a developer who saw the original), Valve itself said that Winter Sale revenues were up significantly.

Amazon Prime members now get 20 percent off game pre-orders and new releases

It's a good time to be an Amazon Prime subscriber if you're interested in video games: The service now offers Prime members a 20 percent discount on all pre-orders and new releases, Amazon announced today.

The Internet Loves Making Fun of Fallout 4's Preston Garvey

rdrw0uiq3yhnvgscrlyg.png

For Fallout 4 players, Preston Garvey’s dialogue has become a running joke. Anybody that’s played the game has probably fallen into the trap of talking to Preston Garvey, which inevitably means accepting quests that task you with saving settlements around the Commonwealth. Whenever you finish one of these quests, Preston always has another one waiting for you. He’ll even mark it on your map! Thing is, settlement quests aren’t very interesting, and Fallout 4 doesn’t give you a choice in accepting the quests, either—which makes Preston Garvey a character people love to hate.

We have our own thread about disliking him right here

Rainbow Six Siege Patch Notes Include Bug Fixes, Hit Registration Improvements

A PC patch fixes some issues with Siege and is also due out on consoles soon.

Pokémon Turns 20 Years Old, Gets A New 3DS To Celebrate

lqplmnrwag7hjij1ateb.jpg

That's it for news, for other things I found interesting

A film nerd explains why you should care about video games

WAS ‘FALLOUT 4’ REALLY A POST-APOCALYPTIC GAME AT ALL?

c_fit_h_1564_q_80_w_880_http_images_orig

My revelation about Fallout 4 came pretty deep into my playthrough, around the 20 hour mark. Preston Garvey, a man as blandly kind as a church bake sale, was offering me the next quest in his sack, a mission to retake a fortress referred to as “The Castle.” What happened to the Castle, I ask? He shrugs and tells me: some giant monster rose of out the ocean a few years ago and drove everyone out.

It was at that precise instant that all the pieces clicked into place for me. Oh, sure, I had been fooled by the theatrical backdrops of bombed out cities, all the skeletons in fancy clothes, how freaking dirty everyone is, but those were just red herrings. Fallout 4 is science fiction, certainly. Maybe even something less common—future-fantasy, we could say. But this game isn’t post-apocalyptic.

THE DUALISM AND MORALITY OF “GOLDEN SUN”

goldensun3.png

"The biggest reveal is saved for the end, though. The last location in the game is the frozen wasteland of Prox, home to the Fire clan that has been the “enemy” for most of the game. You learn that Felix’s parents aren’t dead; they have been held hostage in exchange for Felix’s cooperation. He was out to save his parents this whole time, not out of any selfish greed or lust for power."

RuneX likes this

what? that golden sun part seemed to come from nowhere... or is that part of why that 'film nerd' likes games? I'm still pissed about golden sun. 1 and 2 were so good, and I was looking forward to 3 so bad. and they fucked it up hard. they fucked the story, the cast, the gameplay, the replay value.. everything about the game was nerfed to hell. It doesn't even end good. it starts off talking about these dark hole things, I forget the name, makes a big huge deal about them, and then they just kinda forgot to go anywhere with it, even by the end of the game. wut da carp. There's something about 3rd games where they completely fail in so many ways so often. It's like they make part 2's to be like 1 only with more stuff to satisfy their fans, and then when 3 comes along they think they can just screw around or something.

Character customization is cool and all, but I find I rarely want to spend that much time fiddling with it, I just wanna start the game already. It's nice you'll be able to save/share/export/import designs though. I'll probably make use of that to save myself time =). I'm also happy because I swear I heard somewhere that they are making xcom2 with modding in mind, I love it when people make games more moddable on purpose. Hopefully you can even have completely different character types in xcom2 like that. Like have cartoon/anime characters, or maybe even ponies for dem bronies =P. OFC it will be out of context, but after playing the game a few times it's fun to screw around with that imo.

what? that golden sun part seemed to come from nowhere

I've linked to articles about video games that were written during that week for the last three weeks after the news content. None of the last three things are news, I wrote above them that they were just things related to gaming or that I found interesting. I had an article about Tie Fighter a few weeks ago.