• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Scohui

PC dying I think

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys I have a bit of a problem, I'm not sure how to explain...

But basically my computer decided to just...become unusable suddenly. I had to turn it off with the button, then it took a loong while to start up (yesterday it took 1 hour). 

I've identified and removed malware that I apparently had, but the problem remains. The only concrete error I've received to so far was Catalyst Control Center popping up (after my computer had froze up for about 10 minutes and it suddenly started loading everything) with the message "System.OutOfMemoryException activated", which made me think that maybe catalyst was acting up (this was before I found the malware)

Today I managed to start it up rather ok, but I can't open skype or steam, I can't play music using KMPlayer, GIFs occasionally don't work (don't work on 9GAG, they work here).

Explorer.exe hasn't crashed in a while but it used to crash every 5 minutes. (EDIT: It crashed when I tried to check my graphics card while writing this. EDIT2: Twice and I was opening Device Manager btw.)

My graphics cards is AMD Radeon HD 4500.

Sorry that all this information is shotgunned in here but I don't know what's going on and so I can't explain it in a way that makes sense.

What the hell were you doing on it all I can really say is get a new HDD and maybe .... Ram?

What the hell were you doing on it all I can really say is get a new HDD and maybe .... Ram?

Very difficult on a laptop might as well just get a new computer. Which isn't happening, unfortunately.

System out of memory might mean something is amiss with your ram or cpu. Check task manager and see how much memory is available on boot or being used at all, and check for leaks. Post what you see in the performance tab.

It could be that you are running to many apps, or that you're current apps have a accumulation of junk files.

If you can start up in safe mode and uninstall any unnecessary apps, then try installing a cleanup up app like CCleaner.

If that doesn't work then back up what you can and restore to factory settings.

If that doesn't help then it is probably a hardware fault.

System out of memory might mean something is amiss with your ram or cpu. Check task manager and see how much memory is available on boot or being used at all, and check for leaks. Post what you see in the performance tab.

40 minutes into reboot and chill and it gives you no look because it's dead inside

.eJwNyFEOgyAMANC7cABoCxbwMgtBgi46CNSvZXe

I'll post the performance task manager prints. Eventually.

EDIT: Turns out I was waiting for nothing all I needed was to start explorer.exe manually. Sigh.

Anyway,

Right after I read the post

12575863_1199504090077065_1431281839_n.j

After clicking on skype to open (it didn't)

12571055_1199505020076972_437831584_n.jp

On boot, I think

12540508_1199506296743511_1569906197_n.j

I'll run the CCleaner like Crazycrab said in the meantime.

Velocirapter likes this

CCleaner might help, though if I am reading the screenshots correctly it doesn't seem like anything is eating up too much of anything. It might be worth simply getting a can of compressed air and see if there is a lot of dust built up somewhere that could be hurting performance as well.

CCleaner might help, though if I am reading the screenshots correctly it doesn't seem like anything is eating up too much of anything. It might be worth simply getting a can of compressed air and see if there is a lot of dust built up somewhere that could be hurting performance as well.

Not a bad idea, I look into it. Might be better to have someone do it for me, as last time all the dust went straight to the fan and stopped it.

Full specs from MB to CPU please.

However from what you said full format is a must. If you don't know how to perform it let someone do it for you (probably for money).

Full specs from MB to CPU please.

However from what you said full format is a must. If you don't know how to perform it let someone do it for you (probably for money).

Darn I would really like to avoid formatting...but I guess if I have no choice it will have to be.

I have been told that when it's formatted it's on C: that is whipped out and not D:, is it true?

Darn I would really like to avoid formatting...but I guess if I have no choice it will have to be.

I have been told that when it's formatted it's on C: that is whipped out and not D:, is it true?

Formating or restoring only affects the partition on which your OS is installed (another reason why I so strongly recommend using a separate SSD for this partition).

Bios' vary dependent on motherboard but on startup you should see a hot key for boot options menu (usually one of the FB keys like F12 or F8). You should be able to do it from there.

I actually intended  to write "open resource monitor" since it gives a bit more info, what is free, on standby, used etc... This includes disk usage, which doesn't seem to show in normal task manager. When my PC gets slow, its either because McAfee is booting thus using all the Disk (HD), or lots of programs are booting at the same time. Check before formatting if any program at all uses alot of disk.

My dad ran a chkdsk /f on cmd and now I can open skype and steam but I still can't open a png image without my pc going apeshit so I wouldn't say it's fixed just yet.

Formating or restoring only affects the partition on which your OS is installed (another reason why I so strongly recommend using a separate SSD for this partition).

Bios' vary dependent on motherboard but on startup you should see a hot key for boot options menu (usually one of the FB keys like F12 or F8). You should be able to do it from there.

Ok so I formatted my pc, turns out only needed to format one partition, and it works now. So I guess the initial problem is solved.

But can you tell me how to be able to connect to the internet through wifi? Do I need a driver?

Ok so I formatted my pc, turns out only needed to format one partition, and it works now. So I guess the initial problem is solved.

But can you tell me how to be able to connect to the internet through wifi? Do I need a driver?

What WiFi adapter are you using? Usb, PCI, motherboard?

What WiFi adapter are you using? Usb, PCI, motherboard?

Not usb, the rest I'm not sure. What's a PCI?

Not usb, the rest I'm not sure. What's a PCI?

PCI is the slots on the motherboard that some internal components such as graphics cards connect to. Since you weren't aware of this I'm going to conclude that your WiFi adapter on integrated into the motherboard.

Type "Device Manager" into the search bar, open and then open network adapters. Check that the wireless adapter is enabled.

If it is working you should see the WiFi indicator in the bottom right of the screen next to the clock. Right click and select your router, then type in the router code or press the WPS button (if it has one).

Laptop

...it doesn't have any of the expansion slot that desktop would have. Unless it's a newer gen laptop (year or newer) then it might have an M.2 slot.

Since it's a laptop you might want to check the intake vents and lift the keyboard off (professionals only!) to clean out the heatsink and fan assembly. If a CPU overheats and it's not an AMD (maybe that was finally fixed? lol) the CPU will downclock leading to a very slow performance. And other 'quirks'.

Laptop

...it doesn't have any of the expansion slot that desktop would have. Unless it's a newer gen laptop (year or newer) then it might have an M.2 slot.

Since it's a laptop you might want to check the intake vents and lift the keyboard off (professionals only!) to clean out the heatsink and fan assembly. If a CPU overheats and it's not an AMD (maybe that was finally fixed? lol) the CPU will downclock leading to a very slow performance. And other 'quirks'.

But a format fixed it so I don't think that was the case. I will probably clean the lappy anyway.