• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

15 posts in this topic

The park

2TCp9LI.jpg

The park is a pshycological horror released by Funcom, the developers behind The secret world. 

It's important to mention that they developed the secret world, as the park takes place in the mmorpg

You can enter this game from 2 perspectives

someone who plays/have played the secret world and knows alot/something about the lore

or completely oblivious about anything that connect The park with the secret world (this is where im at)

Story 

The story involves around Lorraine and her child Callum. The player takes control of Lorraine as Callum runs into the park in search of his teddy bear and you are set of in an attempt to find him. 

From there and onwards you slowly continue to gather information about the park and Lorraines backstory.  this is done by interacting with the parks different rides and "activities". 

The main story follows Lorraines unstable condition as the game progresses she becomes less and less unsure of what is real and what is not. This is also displayed to the player through changes to the enviroment that slowly becomes more and more twisted. 

There are alot of interseting backstory in the game these are found from notes lying around. Which tells the backstory of the park, it also serves as a connection to the MMORPG. 

The games story is set up in 2 sections. 

The first being the gathering of information, which is where the players walks all around the park searching for information, thus gaining more knowlegde about Lorraine and the park. 

This is the weakest part of the game, as there is alot of moments where you just sit and do nothing while Lorraine gives us some backstory. 

The second section is the breakdown of Lorraine, this is right after we are finished collecting information and we enter the "Haunted hose" . We descend deeper and deeper into her conciousness to find out what the hell is actually going on.  This is played very similar to the very popular game demo "PT", where you enter a door and walk trough a couple of rooms untill you exit the door, to find yourself in the excact same place as you started, but there are things altered. 

It feels like a watered down version of "PT" at this point. 

It is the most unverving part of the game.

The problem for people that don't know the lore, is they can be left really confused, as there are some background story in the game that are left completely unexplained. 

for example there is a "ghost" following you around, watching your progress and even engaging in some conversations at some points, but who and how he fits into the story is never explained, he is just there 1 minute and gone and forgotten about the next minute. When you see him for example operating the controls for a ride it really breaks the atmosphere , his involement in the story is really out of place

Gameplay

There is really none, it's a walking simulator, a bad one at that. The only interesting mechanic that the game has, is the ability to call out to callum thus highlighting any "items" that will explain the backstory of the park further.

There is really nothing scary about the game, it's unerving at some points. The "scares" the game has consists of jumpscares, something morbid, and slight changes(in the PT section). 

b734yH3.jpg

The game allows you to look around the park in any order you want, although it still leads to the same ending, if you explore the park other than what the developers intended, you will recieve information that was backed up by something you havent discovered yet, leaving you a bit confused.  

The game will sometimes display something that is supposed to be scary and screw around with the screen. This is however useless if you don't look at the correct place, (similar to the F.E.A.R. games with scares that happends in 1 specific place)

Graphics

On the other hand the graphics are actually very good, there has really been done some care towards the look of the game. It sets the atmosphere really good. 

it looks better than the actual mmorpg

4erms8H.jpg

Music and sound

music are quite fitting for the game giving it a good atmosphere and drags the player more into the game. 

There werent any problems with the sound as things sound as they should. and they gave the park a more isolated "feel" to it. 

voice acting is fairly decent, the voice actor for Lorraine does a good job at displaying Lorraines different "states" as she encounters more and more disturbing things in the park. This will affect the "shout" ability chanching her voice and then makes her more relateable because she is affected by the actions in the game. However, it is fairly odd when she is talking about the past in a neutral manner, when a couple of seconds ago her voice were in a shocked state. 

The voice acting for Callum is good as his resonses will change depending on the "state" Lorraine currently in, if she is very scared, he will sound more "scary/unverving"

However the voice acting for the Ghost is laughable and does not really fit the character nor fits the game

Pros 

Good grapichs 

Good atmosphere

Music/soundtrack

Players of "the secret world" can get a squirrel suit(Known as Chad the Chipmunk/Chipmunk killer)

Cons

too short 

not really scary

too expensive 

no real gameplay 

confusing story elements (ghost mostly)

Personal opinion 

For 12,99 € it is not worth it, especially when it will most likely take you 1 or 2 hours to complete. There is just not enough content in the game.

If you're not really invested in the mmorpg i would say that you should stay clear of this game. 

(quick note, although The Park might not have been the worst game, it's simply because i did not play that many games from 2015)

And sorry if my english is terrible

It is odd, Funcom can create some very interesting stories however everything else about their titles screams mediocre games.

I was actually planning to get this game. Now I want to get it. Or at least see what it's like on youtube. I want to see what the plot is all about. I didn't know it's a tie in to the Secret World. Looks like I have to explore the backstory of that game.

I was actually planning to get this game. Now I want to get it. Or at least see what it's like on youtube. I want to see what the plot is all about. I didn't know it's a tie in to the Secret World. Looks like I have to explore the backstory of that game.

i would suggest just watching it on youtube as the only thing you're missing out if you don't buy the game is the Chipmunk suit and some talismans for the MMORPG, plus you will have saved 12,99 €

i would suggest just watching it on youtube as the only thing you're missing out if you don't buy the game is the Chipmunk suit and some talismans for the MMORPG, plus you will have saved 12,99 €

Just watched it on youtube. Turns out the character in this game is in the Secret World. And this game is her backstory. Ckckck, that's what you get when you neglect your own child. You'll go apeshit.

Just watched it on youtube. Turns out the character in this game is in the Secret World. And this game is her backstory. Ckckck, that's what you get when you neglect your own child. You'll go apeshit.

indeed.  Btw i still don't know who that "ghost" guy with a top hat is.

indeed. Btw i still don't know who that "ghost" guy with a top hat is.

That's the Bogeyman. He's in the Secret World too.

He's manipulating the main character with negative emotions, and then force her to do what she did in the end. All because he wants to get more negative energy to become immortal and the greatest mage in the world. What an asshole.

That's the Bogeyman. He's in the Secret World too.

He's manipulating the main character with negative emotions, and then force her to do what she did in the end. All because he wants to get more negative energy to become immortal and the greatest mage in the world. What an asshole.

Oh, that would make sense.

This game is not really good for people that havent played the mmorpg

Oh, that would make sense.

This game is not really good for people that havent played the mmorpg

It's a decent enough game for those that wants to see a depressing story. It's a self contained story about a mother looking for her child and then slowly going apeshit, and no knowledge of the Secret World is necessary to play the game. Except the Bogeyman but that one can be explained as a malevolent ghostly entity trying to destroy the main character. It has only the characters as a connection to the Secret World since there's no mention of the Illuminati, the Dragon, the Templars or any of the other factions in that game or the various quests. If someone have never played a walking simulator before, this is a good start for them. But all walking simulators should be watched on youtube instead of played to save money.

Alexander452 likes this

It's a decent enough game for those that wants to see a depressing story. It's a self contained story about a mother looking for her child and then slowly going apeshit, and no knowledge of the Secret World is necessary to play the game. Except the Bogeyman but that one can be explained as a malevolent ghostly entity trying to destroy the main character. It has only the characters as a connection to the Secret World since there's no mention of the Illuminati, the Dragon, the Templars or any of the other factions in that game or the various quests. If someone have never played a walking simulator before, this is a good start for them. But all walking simulators should be watched on youtube instead of played to save money.

Especially when the walking simulator is 12,99 €

Especially when the walking simulator is 12,99 €

Man, you europeans got ripped off. You are paying US $14.16. In US, it's only $13. That's $1.16 more expensive!

Man, you europeans got ripped off. You are paying US $14.16. In US, it's only $13. That's $1.16 more expensive!

nXsniGO.gif

$1.16 wasted 

Kaz32 likes this

I just noticed this while I was browsing the Reviews thread.

Excellent and well written review Alexander. I hope you got some merit for this one as you clearly had invested a lot of thought on the game and the review itself. 

I agree on some of the points you made about the game, such as its length vs. cost as the game really is that short like you wrote. Not to mention it's also way to expensive if you havn't invested into the Secret World mmo.

But if on the other hand you are a SW player then the item you get for your character could be seen as a justification for its cost. The item you get with this game is very good but the squirrel suit you also get and how you feel about actually wearing it, depends greatly. 

The Park is a fan product made for the SW players so its a shame many players might not get that much out of it as I did when I played The Park. 

It's strange, almost surreal Lynch like mood really immersed me into the story, but the whole haunted house part towards the end felt like a huge waste of time and more of an attempt to lengthen an otherwise short game just by a little bit 

The Park is a sad story about a horrible tragedy, about a mothers desperate search for her lost child. 

And what greater horror is there than that.. ?

I just noticed this while I was browsing the Reviews thread.

Excellent and well written review Alexander. I hope you got some merit for this one as you clearly had invested a lot of thought on the game and the review itself. 

I agree on some of the points you made about the game, such as its length vs. cost as the game really is that short like you wrote. Not to mention it's also way to expensive if you havn't invested into the Secret World mmo.

But if on the other hand you are a SW player then the item you get for your character could be seen as a justification for its cost. The item you get with this game is very good but the squirrel suit you also get and how you feel about actually wearing it, depends greatly. 

The Park is a fan product made for the SW players so its a shame many players might not get that much out of it as I did when I played The Park. 

It's strange, almost surreal Lynch like mood really immersed me into the story, but the whole haunted house part towards the end felt like a huge waste of time and more of an attempt to lengthen an otherwise short game just by a little bit 

The Park is a sad story about a horrible tragedy, about a mothers desperate search for her lost child. 

And what greater horror is there than that.. ?

Why thank you, it took me around 2 weeks to finish, so im happy that it's well written, i have only done 2 reviews so far, so at least im on the right way.

I actually won the January community contest by writting this review, because of that i got the spotlight award

This shiny thing HklCP3p.png

And i got mentioned in an article covering the review contest. So i would say i got merit for the review :D

Still, even if the only reason for buying the game was for the items, 12,99 € is till way too much for that. 

I agree that the atmosphere and mood, for the most part are excellent in the game. 

But personally I would not say that it's a great horror game, horror is subjective anyways, so of course it will change from person to person.

But thanks again :)

MariaOlivia likes this

Why thank you, it took me around 2 weeks to finish, so im happy that it's well written, i have only done 2 reviews so far, so at least im on the right way.

I actually won the January community contest by writting this review, because of that i got the spotlight award

This shiny thing HklCP3p.png

And i got mentioned in an article covering the review contest. So i would say i got merit for the review :D

Still, even if the only reason for buying the game was for the items, 12,99 € is till way too much for that. 

I agree that the atmosphere and mood, for the most part are excellent in the game. 

But personally I would not say that it's a great horror game, horror is subjective anyways, so of course it will change from person to person.

But thanks again :)

That was amazing news you just told me, and i'm both glad and happy you got the merit you so rightfully had earned with your review.  :lol:

Hard work and dedication pays off, and speaking for myself I will gladly read your next review when the time comes so keep posting 'em Alexander.

And most of all, writing them.

Be well! 

Alexander452 likes this