• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

3 posts in this topic

Platinum reveals TMNT trailer, Skype hides IP addresses to prevent online harassment in gaming communities, Gillian Anderson talks Star Citizen, Battlefront has future paid and free content revealed, Mortal Kombat X content not coming to the PC, Fire Emblem gets less creepy in the West and has its own 3DS and overpriced DLC, Mighty No 9 delayed again, Spike Chunsoft plans to release more games on Steam, more lawsuits against Oculus Rift creator, XCOM 2 developer Firaxis already working with modding community and new unit reveals, how depth-sensing technology is changing video games, why an Ubisoft developer quit his dream job, the first essential game of 2016, and more.

This_Week_In_Gaming.png

Star Wars Battlefront - The Road Ahead

rendition1_img.jpg

Future free updates and DLCs have been detailed in a recent blog from the producer.

We began our post-launch journey together last month with the Battle of Jakku DLC, adding two new maps and the new mode Turning Point. Tomorrow, we are adding more free content to the game for all Star Wars Battlefront players, including:

• The Tatooine Survival map will now support the Blast, Droid Run, Drop Zone, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs Villains multiplayer modes, and is called Raider Camp.
  • New Hoth-themed outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, both of which will be available to all fans when they play as these two iconic characters on Hoth – these were unlocked by our players for completing our Heroes’ Holiday community mission last month.
  • We are giving players the ability to create Private Matches, which makes playing with friends even easier.
  • The introduction of Daily Challenges and Community Events. These are designed to rally the Community around certain goals and objectives, giving players the chance to earn credits and unlocks even faster. We'll have more news regarding Community Events and Daily Challenges in the days ahead.
  • And of course, we are also including some overall balancing tweaks to both weapons and multiplayer modes.

In February, we will continue to add more free content for all players, including a new Survival mission on Hoth, and a brand-new Hoth multiplayer map that will support our larger game modes including Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron and Turning Point. Speaking of Turning Point, we are also excited to make this popular mode available on all maps that currently support Walker Assault and Supremacy in the February update.

In March, we will be adding another exciting new multiplayer map on Endor that will support Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Turning Point, and an additional Tatooine Survival map.

Now, a lot of you have been asking for more details around Season Pass, and we want to give you some more information today. Season Pass is going to give you more of the content you love -- maps and modes, Heroes, weapons, and more. We are thrilled to share with you the names of each digital expansion pack, as well as some details on what players can expect with each one and when they will be available.  

• Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Outer Rim (March 2016) - Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt's palace on Tatooine
  • Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Bespin (Summer 2016) - It's hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin
  • Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Death Star (Fall 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
  • Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.

Bayonetta Dev's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Game Officially Revealed with First Trailer

A thread about this was started here

Skype Now Hides IP Addresses by Default

An updated that is intended to help prevent online harassment, specifically in gaming communities. Good timing, just as the AJSA stops using Skype to move to Discord.

Fire Emblem Fates is getting its own New Nintendo 3DS XL hardware

fire_emblem_fates_n3dsxl_0.jpg

This story also reveals that the game is getting the same overpriced map DLC as Awakening and this story reveals that the US version is getting less creepy.

The Division: 10,000 Bugs Fixed for Upcoming Closed Beta

This is good news as the game looked like it had some problems when Joe was playing it. More story details were also talked about here. The system requirements for running the game were also revealed here.

Gerighty also talked about what each thread will be about, revealing new details about the game's story. One story thread is about the virus: who created it, why, and if it can be cured. The second revolves around the factions: how they started, and how you're going to take them on. The last thread is about restoring the infrastructure and something else that Gerighty said he "can't talk about too much."

You can also get some free gear by doing what this article says.

Mobile Games Website Uses Patreon, Things Get Messy

It’s not easy to make money running a video game website. In June 2015, popular mobile outlet TouchArcade said it was having cash problems and asked for help, and lots of people did—including mobile developers. But recently, following a mixed game review, one developer decided to pull their funding.

The developer says the funding wasn't pulled based on the low score of 3.5/5 (a truly terrible score), but considering they seem to be considering conspiracy theories of the site doing it to prove that they aren't biased it sounds like the developer just stopped funding in a moment of anger.

Danganronpa And Danganronpa 2 PC Ports Only The Beginning For Spike Chunsoft

Chunsoft annouced that Danganronpa 2 was also coming to Steam and that more of their games would likely follow. This could mean the other entry and future entries in the series but it could also mean games like 999 and Zero Escape Virutes Last Reward, all excellent games (well except for the third person shooter Danganronpa but the other five would be great to see on Steam).

Andy Serkis' Mocap Studio is Going to Help Publish Games

It's planning to bring five to ten games to market in its first year.

"We are thrilled to be creating this exciting new joint venture with such a trailblazing and esteemed digital innovator as The Imaginarium Studios," said Nwabueze. "There is a wealth of games development talent across our country and this partnership will provide a route to market for many of the fantastic content creators and businesses we invest in, allowing the big guys and little guys to join forces to produce amazing new content."

Far Cry Primal PS4 Bundle Coming to Europe

2993879_fcp.jpg

Mortal Kombat X on PC won't receive new content, support looks to be discontinued

No Kombat Pack 2, no GOTY edition, and probably not going to get the updated netcode. I found that the Joe interview gif says it best.

Lawsuit Against Oculus Rift Creator Can Go Forward, Judge Rules

In addition to a lawsuit from Fallout parent publisher ZeniMax, Oculus VR continues to face a second suit from a company, Total Recall Technologies, which claims founder Palmer Luckey took confidential information and passed it off as his own.

Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann on why Uncharted has to end

Neil Druckmann is different to most AAA video game developers.

His actorly approach to performance capture, storytelling and a sideline as a graphic novel writer already mark out Naughty Dog's Israeli-born director as something of a renaissance man, and when I sit down with Druckmann at Sony's pre-Xmas PlayStation Experience event in San Francisco, it's in markedly different circumstances to the typical interview with a developer of his stature. There's no sterile meeting room, and no PR team watching the clock and nervously listening to every word lest an errant soundbite somehow escapes into the conversation like an unsupervised zoo animal making a desperate bid for freedom

Sure, there's a Sony representative present, but he'd be hard pushed to hear anything above the rattle and hum of the very public corner of the main showfloor we're sitting in. The PR is perched in one of the chairs we'd brought over for the interview but Neil and I are cross-legged on the floor - at the Naughty Dog man's specific request.Maybe it's down to the laid-back, fan friendly vibe of the show; perhaps it's because today is Neil's 37th birthday and he's refusing to enter business mode; or it could, of course, be an affectation aimed at amplifying an air of artistry.

But judging from the way he casually and candidly discusses everything from having to play the corporate PR game - "Look, if it was up to me, we would show nothing" - to the series' future - "with the end of this story it will be really hard to do a sequel with Nathan Drake" - it could just be the way he is. Different.

Payday dev Starbreeze lands $40M investment from major Korean game corp

Korean game company Smilegate has invested $40 million in Payday 2 developer, Starbreeze, helping both companies "bridge the gap" between the East and the West.

The deal sees Starbreeze receive the 10 year right to develop, publish, and distribute a new first-person co-op title based on Smilegate's free-to-play online FPS, Crossfire.

Starbreeze brings VR to the arcade this spring

The venue — a VR-cade, if you will — will be called Project StarCade, and strives to make "premium VR experiences accessible for the masses," according to the company. The exact Los Angeles-based location has not yet been confirmed; neither has an opening date, although Starbreeze expects it to be ready by this summer at the latest.

Endless Legend: Shifters Expansion Announced

22endlesslegendshifters.jpg

Due out in April this expansion will include a new major faction.

Torment Heads to Beta and gets a preview from IGN

The beta has started for Kickstarter backers on the 21st and an early access version has released on Steam.

I gave them about $100 for their Kickstarter and am very happy with how this looks so far.

Children of Zodiarcs - A new Tactical JRPG by AAA veterans

In other Kickstarter game related news, a new turn based combat game that uses cards and dice has recently been funded with 23 days remaining.

A thread about this was created here

Mega Late, Man: Mighty No. 9 Delayed Again

The reason for the delay is said to be "bugs inside the network modes". I think that was the cause for an earlier delay, and once again this has people saying they don't care about their online features.

Based on what I have seen of the gameplay, I think Jesse Cox is right

Capture.png

Tales Of Symphonia Arriving On PC Next Week

The Steam page actually says February 1st to me, but Bandai Namco’s announcement says the 2nd.

How This War of Mine Goes Even Darker With The Little Ones

This War of Mine earned critical acclaim back in fall 2014 for its harrowing, realistic portrayal of a city under siege. Scraggling survivors made camp in dilapidated houses, scrounging for supplies and sometimes stealing from those weaker than them at night and crafting tools and gear during the day. This War of Mine gamified the struggle for survival, asking players to tend to a group of refugees and then prioritize each individual's survival as they became hungry, weak, and sick.

This War of Mine showed that games don't have to be fun or funny in order to get a point across. Sometimes something deeper, darker, and more true to life can help shed light on what others are going through.

Senior writer Pawel Miechowski talks about the expansion to This War of Mine.

XCOM 2 to have mods at launch thanks to Firaxis/Long War team-up and The Sectopod and the Gatekeeper join the XCOM 2 cast

Firaxis has teamed up with the team that made The Long War mod for the original game, in order to have mods released on day one. Good to see them working with the modding community already.

e_Ee_Hk_JH2_Gws2_878x0_Z_Z96_KYq.jpg

ahtzw7_Io3tq_B_878x0_Z_Z96_KYq.jpg

I had already posted a link to a, I believe, French story a few weeks ago that revealed the Sectopod but the Gatekeeper has been revealed as well.

Suikoden II Did Pretty Damn Well Last Year

ybeonmpejwi6qdbhvj0q.jpg

Suikoden 2 didn't just take one of the top 10 slots for Playstation Classics in December of 2015, but for all of 2015. It should be #1 as far as I am concerned.

Longtime BioWare Writer David Gaider Leaves Company

David_Gaider.jpg

If you've enjoyed BioWare characters like HK-47, Cassandra, and Dorian, you might need to sit down for this one. David Gaider, the writer responsible for those characters (and a stable of others) has left BioWare after 17 years.

Capture.png

EA's Adorable Indie Game Unravel Isn't Changing Names

EA was unable to get a trademark for Unravel covering video game software, due to another company already having it for a board game but the name of the game will not be changing, despite some good ideas for other names.

'Five Nights at Freddy's World' removed from Steam

Everyone who bought the game will be getting a refund, and it will be free to play once the developer finishes polishing it.

A thread about this was posted here

Women Outnumber Men in This Top Collegiate Game Design Program

There may be far more men than women working in the video game business right now, but it may not be that way forever. The Los Angeles Times reports that the video game design program at USC, named by the Princeton Review as one of the top schools for game design in the country, currently has more women enrolled than men. Over the past few years, the school has seen a significant spike in acceptance of women into the program.

Peek behind the scenes with Gillian Anderson in Star Citizen

Anderson talks about playing Capt. Rachel McLaren and what it is like working on the set with prop guns and motion capture.

Gears of War Creator Optimistic for Gears of War 4

Capture.png

If there is one thing I expect from Gears of War, it is to be pleased by the writing.

Undertale’s Patch Is Full of Secrets

undertale_secret1.jpg

Undertale's recent patch adds new secrets and questions

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered coming west this spring

VC_Remastered_Localize_Ann_Pre_Order.jpg

Her Story 2 in the Works, Creator Confirms it's a Spiritual Successor

Sam Barlow is working on a sequel to Her Story, which he has indicated is a spiritual successor instead of a direct sequel to the critically acclaimed first game.

Sony merging PlayStation groups into one unit, US-based Sony Interactive Entertainment

Sony is consolidating its PlayStation businesses under one division called Sony Interactive Entertainment, the company announced today.

The new Sony subsidiary will be a combination of the two existing pieces of Sony's video game business, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and Sony Network Entertainment International. It will "[join] the forces of all business units belonging to SCE and SNEI, including hardware, software, content and network services operations," according to a press release from Sony. The formation of Sony Interactive Entertainment will go into effect April 1, 2016, the beginning of Sony's 2016 fiscal year. Sony had already been reporting financial results for its two gaming groups together, as "Game & Network Services," since the start of its 2014 fiscal year in April 2014.

Umbrella Corps arrives on PC, PS4 in May

The third-person shooter, first revealed at Tokyo Game Show 2015, is a team-based action game with a Resident Evil-style coating. Many of its areas specifically draw from the worlds of Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5, according to Capcom.

First footage of Sunless Sea Zubmariner DLC surfaces

Homefront: The Revolution "Resistance Mode" trailer released

That's it for the news, in other articles I have found interesting

How Depth-Sensing Technology Is Changing Videogames

For anyone who has tried to get down to a catchy pop song while holding a controller during a round of Just Dance, or missed a clutch tennis shot because the Wii didnt sense the swing, hands-free depth-sensing technology is a saving grace. When players can control a game using gestures and a computer that sees like a human, the options become a whole lot more interesting. Enter Intel’s RealSense camera, which allows users to do everything from change their background during a video chat to scan 3D objects. The 3D depth-sensing camera technology has found its way into an array of tablets, laptops and all-in-one PCs, and has ignited the imaginations of game creators and players alike.

Why I Quit my Dream Job at Ubisoft

I was never as happy at Ubisoft as during those 2 projects. I worked with very talented & motivated individuals. Because of the smaller team sizes, I had my say on the creative side of things. This was a nice change – being more of a technical guy, I could never do that before. And I absolutely loved it. When you work on a small project, your contribution is, obviously, HUGE. So is your ownership. And so is your motivation.

One of my former colleagues nailed it when he said that I tasted the forbidden fruit. Once you’ve had that feeling, you can never go back.

Jeff On: Emulators, Speedruns, and That Video Where the Guy Only Presses A 0.5 Times

Jeff Gerstmann talks about how emulation and private servers help game preservation, speedrunners, and Twitch streams.

Let's hear it for the deep divers. The people that are really going out there and picking apart video games in ways that most of us can only dream about. I'm talking about the speedrunners. I'm talking about the people out there hunting for new glitches in old games. The dedicated breed out there breaking games wide open. TAS fiends, manipulating memory to cause all kinds of controlled chaos in the classics. All that stuff. But I'm also talking about the people out there creating the tools necessary to let those folks dig deep into areas of games that were never meant to be seen by human eyes. Emulator authors. The folks out there contributing to open-source projects. The teams out there collecting open-source projects together and combining them into easy-to-use toolkits for people who want to stare at RAM addresses for any number of old games, be they NES, PlayStation, N64, Apple II... whatever. It's great that this stuff is out there and it's even greater that it's become a little more acceptable for discussion than it used to be.

‘Pony Island’ Is a Daring, Demonic, and Demented Gaming Masterpiece

pony_island_is_a_daring_demonic_and_deme

But what if a video game could become possessed? What would happen if you played it? What sort of things would a demonic game do to the player? How would it be exorcised?

‘The Witness’ Is 2016’s First Absolutely Essential Video Game

the_witness_is_2016s_first_essential_vid

"Somehow, in a game with no characters and no scripted narrative, I have been moved."

It’s Old and It’s Clunky, But You Really Must Play ‘Dragon’s Dogma’

its_old_and_its_clunky_but_you_really_mu

When Dragon's Dogma first popped up in 2012, there didn't appear to be much reason to get excited. During the days of the Xbox 360 and PS3 we were frankly inundated with bland over-the-shoulder shooters and action RPGs, and Capcom's oddly flat-looking offering didn't appear to be anything different.

But underneath the muddy veneer hid an admittedly fairly ropey game that was still quite genuinely worth getting psyched about. Four years later, and a swanky re-release on PC (in its Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen guise, albeit now supporting 4K resolution and looking delicious) has people like me popping out of the woodwork to defend this gorgeous flawed-gem of a game, which having finally waved goodbye to many technical issues that plagued it originally is now the definite version to play. Here are five reasons why it's worth your attention.

QwiK, xKaros, Conan and 1 other like this

Updated

Added

Mobile Games Website Uses Patreon, Things Get Messy

Sony merging PlayStation groups into one unit, US-based Sony Interactive Entertainment

First footage of Sunless Sea Zubmariner DLC surfaces

Umbrella Corps arrives on PC, PS4 in May

It’s Old and It’s Clunky, But You Really Must Play ‘Dragon’s Dogma’

Homefront: The Revolution "Resistance Mode" trailer released

How This War of Mine Goes Even Darker With The Little Ones

Starbreeze brings VR to the arcade this spring

Tales Of Symphonia Arriving On PC Next Week

That's alot of reading