• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ancient

Is it wise to install new drivers?

6 posts in this topic

I got a AMD Radeon HD 5830 1gb outdated but it works, so, there was a point where i could run csgo, war thunder on very high, with 60 fps locked, Yet, one day, it simply stopped doing that and went all the way down, this was about i fixed my pc (Motherboard gave in), my driver version was 14.25 something, when the problem suddenly came up, i had v15.3 or something and versions in between, i later noticed AMD released v 15.7.1 in late 2015 which is supposed to have been my cards last supported version that support legacy cards. Yet the problem persisted even with that new version. forcing me to use commands like -nodx9ex and all that bullcrap on low or medium settings on most games. though providing slightly better performance than versions previous to 15.7. But that was nothing compared to the performance i used to get pre the sudden general fps drop in all my games.

Then, i said fuck it and downloaded the new crimson beta drivers from AMD (15.11 -12) and bam! games run better, yet still not as it used too, from 20-30 i now am able to get 45 in general. In older games up to 120 like csgo, with certain things put on low like global shadows etc...

In games like war thunder, Optimization programs that supposedly detects your hardware and then apply it to a games say i should be able to run it on high with good fps with a 1920 x1080 res, yet, testing it begs the differ with 20 -30 fps.

Should i revert to a older driver version like 14.2 perhaps? or should i keep up with the new drivers? or just stick to the recommended one? is it bad to use new drivers not recommended to your gpu? can it break the gpu in time?

I'm starting to wonder if this is a problem with AMD drivers in general.  We just had Jon the VGNerd reporting almost identical issues with another older generation AMD card HERE.

I would try backdating you drivers and see if that helps. 

I'm starting to wonder if this is a problem with AMD drivers in general.  We just had Jon the VGNerd reporting almost identical issues with another older generation AMD card HERE.

I would try backdating you drivers and see if that helps. 

Unlike Jon, Fullscreen or windowed (and borderless) mode yield the same result, low fps. Fullscreen even more so. I got my card overclocked on a safe setting so i know i can achieve it, as the optimization programs suggests. I'll try and get the new driver version instead that came out 4 days ago and see how it fairs, if it continues to provide piss fps on recommended settings i might have to backtrack :( that is gonna be a pain in the butt.

(Sorry for not noticing that thread lol)

My old AMD card never seemed to update ever, so I do think AMD barely updates drivers from my experience.

My old AMD card never seemed to update ever, so I do think AMD barely updates drivers from my experience.

Depends, some things update all the time.

But OP, AMD seems worthless with this kind of thing. I've been in your exact situation and just had to downgrade drivers until I got my old one.

Friend of mine before going to Nvidia auto-updated his display driver and his screen went pink until he reverted...

Guess if it ain't broken don't fix it driver wise, still struggling to find a good working old ass driver lol