• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ohgun

What Do You Think About the Mods Available In the XCOM 2 Steam Workshop?

10 posts in this topic

It's been 4 days since the launch of XCOM 2, but I just have to ask one question: What do you think about the XCOM 2 mods available in the Steam Workshop?

In my honest opinion, I believe that the mods available for XCOM 2 are rather fun to use, but they were more like beta testing for a DLC. They may not be perfect, some may even be game-breaking unintentionally, but they are still fun to use.

Eh. They're there.

Not using any until I finish the game but there seem to be some nice options for hats and tattoos. Having more camera control looks like a good one. The three that the Long War team made sound like they would be good, although I don't know how balanced the leadership skills would be and without having a class specializing in throwing grenades and soldiers with different mobility values the SMGs sound like they would be a lot less useful. There's nothing that interesting yet but I expect there to be some great mods in the future.

Ohgun likes this

I haven't look much yet, but I downloaded the one that removes turn timers from some of the missions. I might myself try to make a mod that replaces the turn timer autoloss with alien reinforcements, as I think that's a better way to put on the pressure.

Two mods I think most will find very nice:

- Shut Up Bradford

- Stop Wasting My Time

The first stops the annoying Bradford guy from shouting obvious things at you constantly. The second one removes the strange long pauses that happen sometimes during gameplay.

Not sure if possible but Id like a mod that doesnt reduce the number or power of enemies, but adds old enemies on top of existing ones late game.. So you still see 4hp advent grunts and whatnot late game when they have like 8 hp... Just so you can apprefiate the power creep better.

Ixnatifual likes this

I don't agree with the way they put the same early grunts in and just double their HP and damage. Not only does it not make sense, but as you say makes the power creep feel unsatisfactory. Cool, I can do 4 more damage, so now the same enemies just have 4 more HP. I think they should have done like in the 1995 version, where they start carrying better weapons. It makes sense that a basic trooper will do more damage if he is using a plasma rifle that you can actually see him carry. He will also still be a threat despite his low HP.

I would rather just meet more of the beefier aliens than see artificially buffed ADVENT troopers mid to late game.

I don't agree with the way they put the same early grunts in and just double their HP and damage. Not only does it not make sense, but as you say makes the power creep feel unsatisfactory. Cool, I can do 4 more damage, so now the same enemies just have 4 more HP. I think they should have done like in the 1995 version, where they start carrying better weapons. It makes sense that a basic trooper will do more damage if he is using a plasma rifle that you can actually see him carry. He will also still be a threat despite his low HP.

I would rather just meet more of the beefier aliens than see artificially buffed ADVENT troopers mid to late game.

There should have been less Advent, or better different versions of Advent, and more Mutons. The mod the Long War team made that has the Muton leader is something they should have done. A more powerful version of the stun lancer should have been added since there is really no other enemy like him and he is probably the most threatening enemy in the game, the default troops should have been removed entirely in place of the guys who can create shields or for more officers they have more health but they do no damage to you in late game.

Not sure if possible but Id like a mod that doesnt reduce the number or power of enemies, but adds old enemies on top of existing ones late game.. So you still see 4hp advent grunts and whatnot late game when they have like 8 hp... Just so you can apprefiate the power creep better.

Enemies that show up still only having 3-5 health are enemies that can be killed in single pistol shots, by any grenade, any power weapon, any AoE power, or possibly just by having a stock on a gun and missing them. I think that would just be a waste of time and create problems in certain objective based stages.

That's why it would be a mod and not what I think the base game should have implemented =P. Some people, in games with power creep, enjoy doing old content just because it lets them better appreciate their character's progression, other people don't care and/or would rather drink acid.

That being said, I get the impression you have this mental image in your head that each stage would be littered with 3-4 hp advent grunts running around. I just used them as the extreme example, I personally would like it set so you'd likely only encounter 1-2 per mission, in addition to 1-2 of every other 'old' unit (such as shock troopers, vipers, etc... I don't have the game so I don't know if any other units gets phased out or magically buffed, but I imagine there are more).

Obviously there are more details in question that would be required for balance such as not having too many that ammo becoems a huge issue for the real threats... and you have to make sure that soldiers don't get too much experience by killing easier enemies in this fashion. I didn't really wanna ramble on about all the fine details though unless I were actually designing the mod for real or whatever, which I'm not at this point =P

Ixnatifual likes this

They're crappy,

One of the mods broke my game so hard it remained broken after i deleted local files and re-downloaded it.

The mod manager doesn't have a load order function which is usually necessary for complex modding.

Also the content mods usually come with bugs caused by the game's overly complexified and/or hardcoded equipment system.