• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Mr. Molotov

My thoughts on Microsoft

26 posts in this topic

Hi there. I'd like to take this opportunity to clarify a few thoughts of mine, and put 'em all here for you all to see.

You will now see me explain my hatred for Microsoft in a more clear and concise (hopefully) manner:

The reason why I believe Microsoft is a functional monopoly is because to most consumers, their choice in OS comes down to three options: being fucked by Apple, dealing with an unfamiliar Linux distro, or being fucked by Microsoft. And, given Apple's reputation as pretentious and limited as well as the general "Convenience or death" attitude of consumers, most people choose Microsoft. This allows Microsoft to afford to do things like release the first PC entry in years of the highly profitable and acclaimed video game series Halo- but only in Russia. There are more examples, but that is simply one of the most egregious. So in conclusion, I'd like to wish various horrible things on all Microsoft higher-ups and major shareholders. Because I hate them, and have a tendency for wishing disproportionate retribution upon my foes.

WeLiVeR and Raspharus like this

Let's not forget about this

tumblr_o0ymyk6sS01u5yymwo1_1280.png

And the fact that they push windows 10 as a recommended update, even going as far as downloading it automatically. And the fact that only windows 10 will support skylake CPU's.

Mr. Molotov likes this

Let's not forget about this

tumblr_o0ymyk6sS01u5yymwo1_1280.png

And the fact that they push windows 10 as a recommended update, even going as far as downloading it automatically. And the fact that only windows 10 will support skylake CPU's.

*Still using Windows 7, which I believe to be the best one thus far* 

feels%20goodman.jpg

This thread is totally gonna turn into another shitshow with console fanboys shitting all over the place, I hope you realize that, OP. 

DELEVRYTHING and Mr. Molotov like this

feels%20goodman.jpg

This thread is totally gonna turn into another shitshow with console fanboys shitting all over the place, I hope you realize that, OP.

Why would that happen? This has nothing to do with console gaming.

To those people who'd like to piss all over this thread, I'd like to mention that Microsoft practically owns everything PC except gaming, and that I used to be an Xbox fan and still play primarily on console. Also please don't be an R. Kelly. He's gross.

the_more_you_know_nbc.gif

feels%20goodman.jpg

Thats only on windows 10 home. Im on pro, and you can disable updates. Same on enterprise.

Do PC gamer really want/care to play Halo on PC? I for one really not care about the series. It is as special as other 324123876234 FPS series available on PC. And for Windows 10, I upgraded all my PC to Win10 (+ Spybot anti-beacon) and very happy about it. 

Its not as simple with windows 10. Most people have the Home version(which is the equivalent of standard windows 7 version).  Now the home version on windows 10 is kinda shitty because it forces Micro$oft's updates down your throat. On the other hand whomsoever had windows 7 ultimate(as I did) was automatically upgraded to windows 10 pro. Now on windows 10 pro, updates can be disabled(coupled with pretty much every crap that M. throws at you). So if you have the pro version thats why you prob didnt have any issues with the windows updates. 

I tried my luck with them but after they screwed up my PC(windows hanged onto updating forever and my PC didnt boot), I decided to disable that shit. 

Onto halo, I personally don't really care about it, mainly cause I'm not fond of shooters in general. Still on PC you have halo-like alternatives: the unreal tournament series, quake(which is still played), TF2(which is free), LoadOut(which is also free), Tribes Ascend(which is also free) and the upcoming DOOM. 

Now if you're talking about lore and story, thats another thing. But if it comes to game mechanincs there are plenty to choose from.

I haven't really had any difficulties with Windows 10 but I'm on pro.

I haven't really had any difficulties with Windows 10 but I'm on pro.

Exactly. Pro costs more than standard version tho, so Microsoft is taking advantage.

Mr. Molotov likes this

That's it? I think most people would have a lot more detailed reasons to hate Microsoft other than it being either them or Linux.

This allows Microsoft to afford to do things like release the first PC entry in years of the highly profitable and acclaimed video game series Halo- but only in Russia.

Isn't Halo Online being worked on by 343 working with a Russian publisher, as a free to play game with micro transactions, likely only released in Russia due to the small console and large PC market? It's probably only being released there because it is specifically being marketed towards a country where consoles are less common, PCs are cheaper, and piracy is the popular option to get a game. As a free to play PC game with micro transactions they get around both of those problems. They have no reason to release it elsewhere because PC gamers don't need another free to play game where they need to buy upgrades and if they started releasing Halo on the PC, especially in a free to play form, Microsoft would lose a significant number of console sales from the people who buy their consoles just to play Halo. I have no idea what any of that has to do with Microsoft having a monopoly or why you think they need a lot of money to release a game in Russia (when it is being published by someone else), it's just a perfectly logical thing for them to do that doesn't really even effect us with the cheap prices of consoles in the countries where they are popular. Don't release a product in other regions if you think it will lose you money, that's a pretty common practice for video game developers and publishers.

That's it? I think most people would have a lot more detailed reasons to hate Microsoft other than it being either them or Linux.

Isn't Halo Online being worked on by 343 working with a Russian publisher, as a free to play game with micro transactions, likely only released in Russia due to the small console and large PC market? It's probably only being released there because it is specifically being marketed towards a country where consoles are less common, PCs are cheaper, and piracy is the popular option to get a game. As a free to play PC game with micro transactions they get around both of those problems. They have no reason to release it elsewhere because PC gamers don't need another free to play game where they need to buy upgrades and if they started releasing Halo on the PC, especially in a free to play form, Microsoft would lose a significant number of console sales from the people who buy their consoles just to play Halo. I have no idea what any of that has to do with Microsoft having a monopoly or why you think they need a lot of money to release a game in Russia (when it is being published by someone else), it's just a perfectly logical thing for them to do that doesn't really even effect us with the cheap prices of consoles in the countries where they are popular. Don't release a product in other regions if you think it will lose you money, that's a pretty common practice for video game developers and publishers.

Europe in general(eastern and central parts more than the west) is more popularized by PC gamers. I mean I talked with a lot of europeans(even from the west) and it seems that PC is prevailing in Europe and Consoles in America. 

Well, I don't think it would've lost money elsewhere. Judging by the popularity of various F2P games in the US market, I think they could've made a killing off of it. And combined with the fact that a graphically enhanced port for other markets could've been made, once again rather easily (it was being worked on by Sabre Interactive, the same folks behind Halo CE Anniversary) and Microsoft's decision to apparently begin shutting it down recently, Halo Online just comes off as one big middle finger to PC gamers.

Link to article about it's supposed shut-down:

https://lockerdome.com/segmentnext/8316258571565844

Europe in general(eastern and central parts more than the west) is more popularized by PC gamers. I mean I talked with a lot of europeans(even from the west) and it seems that PC is prevailing in Europe and Consoles in America.

In eastern Europe definitely but consoles still seem to be more popular in western Europe and the UK. I think the popularity of sports games like Fifa which undoubtedly are more suited to a more casual console market is a strong factor on this.

Right, that's what I mean PCs are easier to build, consoles are more expensive and more difficult to find, and piracy is much more rampant in Eastern Europe that's why a free to play game of something that was formerly a console exclusive makes sense to release in those regions but might not be a good idea in the long run for Western countries.

Well, I don't think it would've lost money elsewhere.

It's not about the game itself losing money, it's that it is being designed with a specific audience in mind by a publisher from that region. How much the game itself would make is only one part of it, it's how much would having Halo on the PC cost them in consoles sales. Not just from people not buying Halo on consoles but losing the people who would buy an Xbox One just for Halo, people who could go on to buy other games for the console, losing people who populate their matchmaking system for Halo or the multiplayer of other games, losing numbers in market reports that might have people considering buying a PS4 instead, having less people on their service losing them yearly money from Xbox Live accounts.

From that article it sounds like the game and other ones like it with Borderlands and Call of Duty Online aren't even working well for them in the first place, so it might have actually been a bad idea to release something like that in the West, even more so when it is an older version of the game and people are already playing the newer games that they wouldn't want to take the focus away from.

Mexiguy likes this

the reason why microsoft is a monopoly when it comes to the PC is that they made the right decisions very early when microcomputers (the PC sitting at your desk or coffee table right now) became a mainstream consumer product. before this computers were pretty much mainframes, but everyone wanted a PC at home.

Apple decided to control the hardware that would run their UNIX based operating system, and Microsoft decided to simply let their operating system be usable on any custom built microcomputer or microcomputers sold by other companies such as IBM.

the consumer simply prefered Microsoft's approach and therefore they gained popularity and when it came to PCs at home, all hardware was built around being functional with the Windows operating system.

Later on, people decided they wanted to play games on their PCs rather than just do work... and here we are many years later in 2016 with the Windows operating system still the dominant platform when it comes to playing pretty much any video game available for the personal computer.

People simply didn't want to buy a piece of hardware that only works with one piece of software (apple), people wanted customisation and options, and microsoft simply made an operating system widely available and fliexible for those same people that wanted a PC and not a mac.

Even today... android to smartphones is what windows is to the PC.

Crazycrab likes this

the reason why microsoft is a monopoly when it comes to the PC is that they made the right decisions very early when microcomputers (the PC sitting at your desk or coffee table right now) became a mainstream consumer product. before this computers were pretty much mainframes, but everyone wanted a PC at home.

Apple decided to control the hardware that would run their UNIX based operating system, and Microsoft decided to simply let their operating system be usable on any custom built microcomputer or microcomputers sold by other companies such as IBM.

the consumer simply prefered Microsoft's approach and therefore they gained popularity and when it came to PCs at home, all hardware was built around being functional with the Windows operating system.

Later on, people decided they wanted to play games on their PCs rather than just do work... and here we are many years later in 2016 with the Windows operating system still the dominant platform when it comes to playing pretty much any video game available for the personal computer.

People simply didn't want to buy a piece of hardware that only works with one piece of software (apple), people wanted customisation and options, and microsoft simply made an operating system widely available and fliexible for those same people that wanted a PC and not a mac.

Even today... android to smartphones is what windows is to the PC.

What about Linux though? I mean it works like Windows, regardless of your hardware, yet games don't get ported on it. 

Hopefully with the new SteamOS(which is linux based), we'll see more games coming to Linux. I mean let's face it, I think a lot of people would switch in time if Linux managed to take Micro$oft's face when it comes to games. After all microsoft is just another corporation, whereas Linux is open source.

What about Linux though? I mean it works like Windows, regardless of your hardware, yet games don't get ported on it. 

Hopefully with the new SteamOS(which is linux based), we'll see more games coming to Linux. I mean let's face it, I think a lot of people would switch in time if Linux managed to take Micro$oft's face when it comes to games. After all microsoft is just another corporation, whereas Linux is open source.

I can't remember whare on this forum (if I find the thread I'll link it here) posting details of an experiment comparing Windows 10 to Steam OS and games running on Windows with the same hardware out performed Steam OS, get as much double the FPS.

I can't remember whare on this forum (if I find the thread I'll link it here) posting details of an experiment comparing Windows 10 to Steam OS and games running on Windows with the same hardware out performed Steam OS, get as much double the FPS.

Of course they did. I mean people already know that both steamOS and Linux, when it comes to games performance, do perform worse because:

A. Most devs dont bother to optimize their games properly because the linux/steamOS users are few 

B. Linus by default can't use directx to it's full potential(there are third party apps that can make it usable but it doesn't have native support as it does on Windows) and hence the issues/differences when it comes to performance.

C. This is the nail in the coffin right here: PC's that run Linux have to use third party drivers for the graphics cards. This basically screws up the performance a lot since, every driver behave different in it's own way. It's not unseen to see Linux users change their drivers a lot depending on the game.

Now I'm sure that if devs wanted to move completely to Linux, all of these issues could be solved more or less. But then again, it's all a business with Microsoft and the bigger companies. Moreover, trying this now, would slow down PC gaming(though not by much) making it a risky move.

Mr. Molotov likes this

the reason why that is, is that linux never gained the popularity that windows did and that's probably because of ancient old conceptions of it being highly UN user friendly compared to windows, which is still what goes through people's heads today.

that's no longer the case for many distributions of linux, however that is also a problem in itself - too many versions of the same operating system... no one really knows what to choose, with microsoft it's one windows, that gets upgraded every few years and gets some crappy new UI but vastly remains the same... i.e. start button, control panel, windows explorer, active directory tree format for managing users and components of your PC... has all remained the same, and that's what keeps people heavily invested into windows.. it has consistency where linux does not.

as much as you or i may want to like linux because it's free and open source, it will never change the monopoly windows has for PC software or games unless everyone currently using windows just decided to up and switch to linux.

it's a viscious cycle... no one will change to linux because software and games continue to get made for windows, and software and games continue to be made for windows because no one is using linux... and as long as that cycle continues... no amount of steam OS or steam machines with steam OS is going to shift the prefered platform for playing games on the PC.

it's been like this for decades now. even in 1995 when windows 95 was around when i was just a little kid... i would hear constant... linux will take over windows... and here we are today with the same comments... but will it ever actually happen? nope.

Mr. Molotov likes this

My company is currently in the process of updating to Win 10 and I've been a bit warry. I still have Win 7 at home, which I think is one of the best OSs Microsoft ever made so far. I like playing old games and have a few...er, "copied" versions of games that I've read I would no longer be able to play if I switched to Win 10. Not to mention there's the issues with some third-party software that might not run even if you told Win 10 "it's OK, I know what this program does"

...oh, not to mention the older versions of Maya and Photoshop that I use on a regular basis.

So recently Microsoft started an open source project called vscode which is a programming IDE. I hope that they continue to make more open source projects like this one. It gives me hope that Microsoft will change. As for games the 2 most played games on steam (by far: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/) can both run on SteamOS. Not to mention with more companies switching to one engine in common (UE4, Unity5) which are cross platform and let you port games with a press of a button (and a bit of modding) there should be more games over time coming to linux. The steam linux page has been slowly growing and is pretty big at this point.

So in theory all the DOTA and CSGO players could all switch (if they all did linux might be more popular than windows on steam), but they don't care if they are supporting something that they should not be. They just want the game to work and want to stick with what they are used to (it's the don't break what is not broken mentality + why put in the effort of learning something new when it will do what this already does).

There is also Microsoft Office which no one can live without because everybody else uses office so you need all the features and all the file format support (open office and libre office are missing tons of features).

As for the many linux distros, idk why everyone is not just using debian unless you want to hack around in arch linux or something. Right now debian is second most popular after mint. The fact that the most popular is mint shows that people in reality just want windows since mint is basically trying to be like windows yet not windows.

Btw avoid Ubuntu, it is trying to be another windows and has spyware in it (when you search the computer it sends search results to amazon, basically it was windows 10 before windows 10).

P.S. I forgot to mention that vscode runs on windows, mac, and linux, they are also working with the community and have been very accepting of feature requests and quickly fixing bugs.

So in theory all the DOTA and CSGO players could all switch (if they all did linux might be more popular than windows on steam), but they don't care if they are supporting something that they should not be.

why should they not support microsoft? this is an age old argument. free vs proprietary. why is it so hard for people on the linux bandwagon to understand that not everything in terms of computers should be for free.

there seems to be this idea that if you are supporting the monopoly of PCs then it automatically makes you shit, or evil, or just doing the wrong thing... and i dont like that. i for example support windows because i want to, and i like it, and im not ashamed for it either.

life would be a lot easier if game devs such as yourself, just forgot linux existed to begin with and just make your games to work on windows. it's where every PC player pretty much is anyway.... so why make things harder by catering to an operating system that is barely used in comparison?

i bet the vast majority of every linux user that is also a gamer... has a windows parition ready and waiting when they want to switch to playing a game. so even if a game does work on steam OS / linux... which end user / customer / gamer actually cares? pretty much no one cares.

why should they not support microsoft? this is an age old argument. free vs proprietary. why is it so hard for people on the linux bandwagon to understand that not everything in terms of computers should be for free.

there seems to be this idea that if you are supporting the monopoly of PCs then it automatically makes you shit, or evil, or just doing the wrong thing... and i dont like that.

i use windows because i want to, like it, and because i want to support it because it's THAT good... it's not that i don't care and simply pick the easiest option, this is the option i wanted and have wanted all my life. i refuse to accept people telling me... "oh windows, you shouldnt be using that.... use linux instead, because it's ethical and bla di bla bla". i dont care how ethical it is, i want windows. dont tell me i shouldnt support it, i will support what i want.

I did not mean to imply that it should be all free (in terms of price), the thing that should not be supported is certain behaviors and letting them get away with anything they want (by actively threatening their business by switching to linux which would cause them to have to play nice to get us back). I believe one should reward Microsoft for some things and punish for others to lead them in the desired direction (buy or don't buy). I think you are maybe mistaking freedom with price, people who are part of the free software foundation do not want everything to be free in terms of price but free in terms of freedom. Ofc whether or not all software should be free (freedom) is highly debatable. For me personally that is going a bit too far, instead we can just try to influence Microsoft's behavior.

P.S. I don't hate windows I want windows to be better and I want linux to be better and I want Microsoft to be better.