• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

GLXLynx

Where's The Fair Use? - Nostalgia Critic

51 posts in this topic

Despite the fact that this is very well known,

I will not stand for this insolence.

So here's Nostalgias video about Fair Use.

Well what can we say....  Obviously he's right about everything and we've known about it for some time, Google really needs to change their system.  People and companies who make false claims should be punished the and strike system should only be punishing to legitimate pirates.

Well what can we say....  Obviously he's right about everything and we've known about it for some time, Google really needs to change their system.  People and companies who make false claims should be punished the and strike system should only be punishing to legitimate pirates.

A lot of YouTubers are making responses like AlphaOmegaSin. Pretty soon, I'll do one too because after hearing all of it, I'm like wtf.

I was kinda expecting Jim Sterling to come on and talk about it, how game "developers" (and I use the term loosely) have tried to silence him through takedowns and strikes and how when Youtube finally made their Fair Use Protection Program they used one of his videos as an example of fair use.

I was kinda expecting Jim Sterling to come on and talk about it, how game "developers" (and I use the term loosely) have tried to silence him through takedowns and strikes and how when Youtube finally made their Fair Use Protection Program they used one of his videos as an example of fair use.

I'm not sure if he's going to make a fuss about it because he's one of those 5 producers who got Google's support for some new Fair Use protection program. Of course, the program is so small and hasn't brought about any cases yet that would bring progress on these grounds.

I'm not sure if he's going to make a fuss about it because he's one of those 5 producers who got Google's support for some new Fair Use protection program. Of course, the program is so small and hasn't brought about any cases yet that would bring progress on these grounds.

He's comes across as kind of person who would make a fuss about this.  Youtube making a program to help with fair use problems that hasn't helped with fair use problems?  I don't think he's the kind of person to ignore this, especially since he pretty much became the posterboy of fair use abuse thanks to Digital Homicide.

This song comes to mind:

And it looks Nostalgia Critic's video is already down.

And it looks Nostalgia Critic's video is already down.

I can watch it just fine.

Heya, I stumbled upon this interesting video.

It's not really related to the #WTFU movement but I think it still worth to give it a try.

He's comes across as kind of person who would make a fuss about this.  Youtube making a program to help with fair use problems that hasn't helped with fair use problems?  I don't think he's the kind of person to ignore this, especially since he pretty much became the posterboy of fair use abuse thanks to Digital Homicide.

No, you misunderstood me, what I meant is no companies have made any claims that have gone to court with Jim or anyone else under Google's protection. Of course, the thing is no companies Want to go to court over this stuff because they know they will lose the case.

As much as I totally agree with the fair use issue, and I'll never side with the companies on this one, I struggle to care that it happened to the Nostalgia Critic.

I dunno if it's out of spite or because I just stopped caring about Doug as a creator. I used to love the guy, watched every single one of his videos, but after how Phelous and Obscurus Lupa were treated, and how Doug basically just sits back and lets his business partners harass and treat the producers he hires like shit, I find it hard to care weather or not baby got his first take down strike.

And now Joshua Burner aka. Joshscorcher is throwing his white barracks cover marine hat into the mix

Im surprised that Angry Joe ain't talked about this is yet.

Same with Jim Sterling.  They're probably all making videos and are in the middle of editing them right now.

This is precisely why I haven't really done much with my own YouTube channel. I've made several models, from scratch, of fighting game characters like Chun Li and Mai Shiranui, but I haven't animated them doing anything because I'm worried Capcom would flag me for using "their" IP. Even though, as I mentioned, I made these models from scratch and didn't yank them from the game (which is kind of obvious since they look terrible compared to the actual game elements).

He did...... 2 years ago... several times.  Not much has changed.

What i do love though is if someone took one of Alpha's vids for example and did their own version in the exact same way etc then tried to earn money from it you can bet your ass he would slap a claim on it.

Yes it is about money etc and if someone has done the work to earn that money then some chump just copies it and tries to do the same then why shouldnt they have a piece of that pie?

You dont want anyone to put a claim on your vid?  Simple stop using their material.

Except even that is not a guarantee that you won't get hit by a claim. 

For example, Boogie spoke of an paid advertisement of a game, only to be copyright claimed a year after. 

Makes me think if they had this in mind from the beginning.

At this point, as soon as someone even mentions something not in positively - and even if you do - you open yourself up to a claim.

I think these claim tactics are also used to bully people into MCNs, so that these can profit of the people who otherwise would have to stand on their own, for themselves. It would make sense from a business perspective. Remember, MCNs are not always there to help you EVEN if you are a member of an MCN, they will focus on those who bring them the most money, which also makes sense.

I remember a german youtuber who had to give up his YouTube channel just because he didn't get the aid from the MCN he asked for. That guy had to pay for all the trips to various locations on his own (and if he was to be believed, not even being helped out when a claim notice affected him) while still paying them their share that they did not deserve.

Sigh... This is no more Wild West shit. This is war.

-- Edit:

A lawyers perspective on these things.

I can watch it just fine.

Yeah, turns out it was just my browser being screwy.

There is a definite issue on youtube, but 90% of the Nostalgia Critic content is not actually fair use, so rallying behind him is stupid. Doug is mad that it doesn't work how he wants it to work, so it's wrong. That's how he comes across.

I'm glad I actually know people in law and understand how fair use works.

There is a definite issue on youtube, but 90% of the Nostalgia Critic content is not actually fair use, so rallying behind him is stupid. Doug is mad that it doesn't work how he wants it to work, so it's wrong. That's how he comes across.

I'm glad I actually know people in law and understand how fair use works.

He takes clips from movies and tv shows and comments over them for satire and review. How is that not Fair Use? That's the same as saying all of Joe, TB, Wisecrack, and every other gaming, film, or written media based critic is violating fair use, as well as let's play or tournament casters and streamers.

So if you know the law so well, explain to me why every Youtuber out there I mentioned isn't taken to court for every video they post?

GLXLynx and Crazycrab like this