• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

The last game that awoke the sense of wonder in you?

26 posts in this topic

I've been playing games since I was like 3 or 4 years old. Back then, playing almost any game was always fun and I could keep on playing all days. But as I got older, specially now, few games deliver that amount of fun. I usually uninstall 80% of my games before even finishing 50% of them.

There is a few games I can 100% and even fewer (almost none) that I can replay 2 or more times. It feels like reaching gaming puberty (for lack of a better expression), where everything just feels dull and only few games make me have lots of fun.

The last 2 games where I actually enjoyed every second of it, where I explored every last corner and did almost all the quests was Skyrim and then Witcher 3. I'm a fan of ES and for me Skyrim was a really good game. Yes the combat was kinda shit, but whole game in general was wonderful to me. I loved exploring it and I felt like a little kid when I did that. I smiled at fun quests, I smiled when I reached top of a mountain at a certain time of day and saw the dawn coming far behind the mountains. Few games do that for me today. I won't even comment on fully modded Skyrim...

And as last Witcher 3 was the last game in like last 4 years since Skyrim's release to wake that sense of wonder or a childlike attitude when it comes to games. I didn't enjoy the game that much, I enjoyed it's universe and the depth of it. It wasn't about the combat for me, it was about the people that live in that world and it was about the universe that is so wonderful yet so dark and creepy. Biggest joy for me in the game was when I reached Skellige. It was like a complete other game, the sudden change of enviroment, music, people, culture, EVERYTHING! There were times I just walked or rode the horse randomly on roads and enjoyed the ambient music while watching NPCs and what they do and enjoying the sceneries. Every quest was so freaking deep and woke so many emotions. I felt like I was like 10 years old, I never enjoyed a game like that since Skyrim. I played 10h a day, for like a week before I decided it was time to calm down.

You fellas got any games like that lately? You can say just any last game that made you feel like that. 

2and900, zawisz and Zero Foxtrot like this

Ark Survival on Xbox One! The PvP in that game will keep you on your toes! Never know when you will be attacked by people or dinosaurs or heck the elements. It's one of the best survival games that I've played in awhile reminds me of Minecraft, RPG, Survival... it's just an amazing games that keeps me playing for hours!

The first time I played Fallout: New Vegas. It was the first big open world game I had ever played at the time and I love it to death.

Apex Spartan likes this

The last game that did me like that was Pokemon Omega Ruby on the 3DS. Going into it with my childhood coming back to me piece by piece just felt amazing and left me with a great sense of awe. There was nothing better than seeing my favorite starter in 3d looking awesome and going through the journey again but this time as a older person I have more knowledge. I played a few Pokemon games in the past as a little boy and never really understood them. But now at 18 and completing Omega Ruby which was my first ever completed Pokemon game just brought pure happiness to myself. I hope the next games can do the same but for now i'm going back to see which ones can do some more justice.

I can't honestly remember the last time i felt wonder in a game

Same here sadly.

This was a good question Apex. 

Dreamfall was a game which made me cry for real, as did A Longest Journey -too . Also an adventure game called Syberia had the same effect. The storytelling in these games was just so incredibly powerful and filled with emotions. 

All three games are available on Steam so I recommend people check those out if you enjoy point and click adventure games.

Life is Strange is a whole chapter of its own. 

The biggest sense of disappointment of all time had to be the Mass Effect 3 - ending. I genuinely felt cheated, and frustrated.

But that's enough said about that--

But a sense of wonder,  that's a tricky one. I guess I'd have to go with Skyrim. The environments in the game are just so breathtaking and beautiful which is

important for me as I like the wild outdoors in real-life. Skyrim really allows you to immerse yourself into the environment without a sense of urgency which I like. I want to explore and make my own path. 

Same. I never used to really get emotionally invested in things, and over the years it's only become more unlikely.

I might have enjoyed the environment in a game like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, but I can't say that I've ever felt a sense of wonder.

MariaOlivia likes this

Having time to ask oneself this question means ones just don't know what they want to play, what style of game they need or which game should they play, regardless of their knowledge of gaming, bot physical and digital. This is not reaching gaming puberty, ones simply feel bored.

I find wonder in games from time to time, back from 199x games to this day. Last time? Witcher 3 hand down. Before that? Metro series. And then, Agricola board game. So on... The point to this question is why you are playing?

The game's world is vast, ones have to look more. Good luck.

Same. I never used to really get emotionally invested in things, and over the years it's only become more unlikely.

I might have enjoyed the environment in a game like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, but I can't say that I've ever felt a sense of wonder.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Now there's is a game I have yet to experience  :)

Hopefully one day.

I think it really depends on what kind of games people play. You definently won't be able to feel a sense of wonder in a game that doesn't have memorable characters, a really good looking world or a good storyline. Gameplay will give you lots of fun, a story will give you some kind of a depth plus maybe some emotional attachament, well written characters will give you also some depth to get connected to the entire game world and so on. When you get a game that gets all those points done together, in the right way, its possible to enjoy a game much more special than you will enjoy some game where your entire goal is to grind and reach the end of it. 

I also guess it's how you play. Lots of people I know for example, played Witcher 3 like an MMO. Only reason they did sidequests  and contracts was to get money. When there was a quest where they get cheated or don't get payed, they literally thought that sucks and got mad. Tbh sole reason why I did almost all the sidequests and contracts (120h of gameplay on 1st walkthrough), was to actually experience the stories of these people. It gives you sense of the world they live in. Rather than just spamming quests for XP and money and not having a clue what's actually happening. Might as well play an MMO then. Game has around 800,000 lines of dialogue. I'm not about to spam "SPACE" to skip through all that.

So yeah, it took lots of years for me to play a game that did that and I have no idea when the next one will be. 

MariaOlivia likes this

This was a good question Apex. 

Dreamfall was a game which made me cry for real, as did A Longest Journey -too . Also an adventure game called Syberia had the same effect. The storytelling in these games was just so incredibly powerful and filled with emotions. 

All three games are available on Steam so I recommend people check those out if you enjoy point and click adventure games.

Life is Strange is a whole chapter of its own. 

The biggest sense of disappointment of all time had to be the Mass Effect 3 - ending. I genuinely felt cheated, and frustrated.

But that's enough said about that--

But a sense of wonder,  that's a tricky one. I guess I'd have to go with Skyrim. The environments in the game are just so breathtaking and beautiful which is

important for me as I like the wild outdoors in real-life. Skyrim really allows you to immerse yourself into the environment without a sense of urgency which I like. I want to explore and make my own path. 

You should consider checking out Dreamfall Chapters on Steam.  I'm a fan of the first two games as well and I think that chapters is a worthwhile addition so far but I haven't got all the way through it so I cant really say if it's great or not yet.

As for the last game that awoke a sense of wonder in me probably Witcher 3 and before that....... Allot of you are probably gonna think I'm crazy (or crazier) but.... Destiny.  I honestly find the mythos in the Destiny universe fascinating, I just wish more of it was in game.

MariaOlivia likes this

You should consider checking out Dreamfall Chapters on Steam.  I'm a fan of the first two games as well and I think that chapters is a worthwhile addition so far but I haven't got all the way through it so I cant really say if it's great or not yet.

As for the last game that awoke a sense of wonder in me probably Witcher 3 and before that....... Allot of you are probably gonna think I'm crazy (or crazier) but.... Destiny.  I honestly find the mythos in the Destiny universe fascinating, I just with more of it was in game.

Thank you Crazycrab for the advice.  :)

I don't think anyone would call you crazy for liking Destiny. While I haven't played the game,  I still know of it. Watched reviews and streams etc. before it came out. I value your opinion, and your views of the game so I don't find you crazy at all . We all have different tastes in books, movies, music and games etc.

Crazycrab likes this

Allot of you are probably gonna think I'm crazy (or crazier) but.... Destiny.  I honestly find the mythos in the Destiny 

You crazy bastard...

Haha just kidding, but yeah, everyone has different views. I think a universe in a game and just overall level design and just the world alone can have a really good impact on playthrough.

MariaOlivia and Crazycrab like this

dark souls, I know a lot of people play it for difficulty or something but I like it cause it has cool areas and the characters all speak in riddles making me want to find out what is going on.

Zero Foxtrot likes this

Wow, that's a tough one...

Maybe...Uncharted 2? Certainly Half Life 2, but I know there have been more recent ones. Both Portals are still great even if I know all the solutions, it's the back story between Chell and GLaDOS that really sells it.

I always appreciate games with a good story, but I'm trying only to count the ones that just really made me stop and think when it was all over...and possibly made me start all over again just to make sure I heard it right the first time.

MariaOlivia likes this

I've been playing games since I was like 3 or 4 years old. Back then, playing almost any game was always fun and I could keep on playing all days. But as I got older, specially now, few games deliver that amount of fun. I usually uninstall 80% of my games before even finishing 50% of them.

There is a few games I can 100% and even fewer (almost none) that I can replay 2 or more times. It feels like reaching gaming puberty (for lack of a better expression), where everything just feels dull and only few games make me have lots of fun.

Crazy how this literally sums up my gaming background and current dilemma as well. 

The last game I can think of I can honestly say I was truly immersed in was Star Wars Galaxies and maybe Arkham Asylum. I would say most recently also Darkest Dungeon, but I haven't gotten to far into it yet. Aside from that I find myself buying game after game, but never getting far into it and struggling to find motivation to keep playing.

Apex Spartan likes this

dark souls, I know a lot of people play it for difficulty or something but I like it cause it has cool areas and the characters all speak in riddles making me want to find out what is going on.

I'm currently playing it for my first time and while the difficulty is brutal, once you get accustomed, the story and the setting are truly interesting. It has this sense of mystery going around, and nothing is ever fully explained.

Good game indeed.

The only 3 games I think really gave me that sense are Skyrim, Witcher 3, and when I first played the Mass Effect series. Honourable mention would be the Stick of Truth.

Apex Spartan likes this

The witcher 3 all the way. I will never forget the first time I stepped foot on skellige and was just blown away.

Apex Spartan likes this

When i was younger i used to have this alot, with games like Oblivion, Halo, GTA, nowadays, not so much anymore, not even skyrim could do it for me, the last sense of "wonder" i had was while playing the mass effect games one after another, but that burned away quickly after stumbling on the ending of 3. I am having less and less fun in general i guess when it comes to games.

am having less and less fun in general i guess when it comes to games.

That's same with me. I fear that one day, in a few years I will completly stop playing...

TamaskanLEM and Ancient like this

Depends on what you mean by sense of wonder.

I cannot play skyrim for more than an hour before being bored to tears, but there is definately a sense of wonder climing up that frosty mountain, seeing the wind brushing snow over a peak, wanting to see the other side, etc. Honestly I love the world and exploring it, but the combat, the character interactions, the fact that I've spent dozens of hours fiddling with mods and even though the mod maker and mod choices are more powerful and varied than oblivion, I can't seem to make a character look the way I want as easily as I could in oblivion (without being forced to wear one set of armor the whole time, which kills the whole equipment portion of the game, no thanks)..But yeah, in that sense of going 'whoah!'... skyrim is a great example imo.

If you mean sense of wonder as in have any games made me absolutely DIE for more information regarding the story/world/etc. Hands down, the Kiseki series (Trails in the sky FC/SC, and Trails of cold steel). Honest to god I haven't seen a world and cast and story done so well to my tastes since A song of Fire and ice...and I liked that shit before the TV series came out (and squee'd when it did!)...Even though they're very different in the sense one is dark and dirty, and the other is pretty idyllic.

Those are examples of both interpretations, but they are by no means the only examples. That being said, sense of wonder is not really as important to me for videogames as people in this thread seem to make it out to be... lots of people are like 'nahh... I don't like games so much anymore'...For me, the answer can be flat out no, and I can still love the game. For example there is absolutely no sense of wonder whatsoever when I play something like Civilization or Master of orion, but I still enjoy it.