• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Lhouraii

Why Do People Like Halo??

16 posts in this topic

So, I've heard how good 'Halo' is and I wanted to try it. Especially since I just started watching that American show, 'Big Bang Theory' on Netflix.They have 'Halo Night' on that and seem really enthusiastic about it.

Anyway, I just completed the campaign on 'Halo 4' with a friend and I don't get it.

It was fun but it was a LOT less than I was expecting.

I'm used to rpg's and this game was just so simple.

Like, it was legit just shooting things and nothing else.

It was like "You out of ammo? Duhhhhhh, idk, just look at the floor, duhhhhh, for a different gun, duuhhhhh, shoot, shoot, shoot! Duhhhhh..."

There was no use of brain power whatsoever. (Which makes me wonder why Sheldon likes it, from BBT?).

I did enjoy it but not as much as many other games.

Anyway, I was wondering why people like this game? Like, genuinly though. For some reason I just bought the 3rd game, so I was to have a fans thoughts in my head as I play it. I really want to like this game. Please tell me your favourite things about this game?

So you were expecting a shooter to play more like an RPG?Yeah, Halo is no Destiny.

Why patronise me? I wasn't expecting an rpg but I'm just used to the complexity. Even Zelda allows you to upgrade equipment/stats/etc. I was simply taken aback by the simplicity of the game.

I do not mean to offend, I am just curious to know what draws fans to this series, so that I can focus on it's good points. I want to become a fan as well.

Well Halo isn't really made to be complex or to require brain use like the way RPGs do. Also, it's certainly not meant to be bought for it's campaign; it's popular because of it's multiplayer. Just another twitch shooter like Call of Duty, in my opinion. Basically meant to be silly fun without any sort of thinking involved. So my suggestion is to just try the multiplayer and see if you enjoy it and if you don't, you may never be a Halo fan, sadly.

Lhouraii likes this

Well Halo isn't really made to be complex or to require brain use like the way RPGs do. Also, it's certainly not meant to be bought for it's campaign; it's popular because of it's multiplayer. Just another twitch shooter like Call of Duty, in my opinion. Basically meant to be silly fun without any sort of thinking involved. So my suggestion is to just try the multiplayer and see if you enjoy it and if you don't, you may never be a Halo fan, sadly.

Thank you for your honest and helpful reply!

Yes, I imagine you're right. Multiplayer would probably be quite fun. I guess I'm just used to playing games alone or couch-co-op. I really need to invest in an Xbox-Live account! XD

Thanks for your input!

VirexGaming likes this

Halo has a story just you need go out and find it. Theres books, movies, animation, etc on Halo that tells much of the lore in its universe. Bungie was the creator of halo, when Bungie gave halo to 343, some halo fans where not real happy with it. My friend, who was a very long time fan of halo, doesn't really care anymore. The real attraction to halo was the simplistic multiplayer. Having friends over for a friendly game of halo or having LAN parties back in the olds days brought people together for much love and fun to the game.

In my experience, I've always played Halo with friends and we've always had fun just messing around in the campaign or playing the multiplayer. The stories in the campaigns are great though imo. I especially like Reach and think it's the best. But yeah it's got solid shooting and a good story and fun multiplayer. Suggest playing with friends.

I am an only recent addition to the XBox family and it didn't take long to see the appeal of Halo.  It's not just the gameplay but the Mater Chief character himself.

halo use to be a really great game up until it decided to become a cod clone >.< every franchise wants it's own call of duty is what I always say.

Simple, tight controls and a world that at the time redefined what shooters were. Destiny owes everything to Halo. I just wished Destiny owned up to it's name. 

xKaros likes this

Most people just like the simplicity, and for the veteran players like me who have been playing from Combat Evolved to Reach (I haven't played since 343 got the licence because I don't own an XBone, and never will) the lore of the universe does quite  bit to keep people like me invested.

Simple, tight controls and a world that at the time redefined what shooters were. Destiny owes everything to Halo. I just wished Destiny owned up to it's name. 

Destiny was a pretty enjoyable game. I was patient and waited for the game and my patience was rewarded with the taken king disc so I got that for the ps4 :P it's a pretty fun game especially with friends doing raids and stuff and the competitive multiplayer is fun too.

As a long time Halo fan who has played through all the games, watched all the movies/anime and read the books, I would be happy to weigh in on this and explain why it has such a large dedicated following.

It really all began with the first game in the series for the original Xbox, where Bungie really made its mark. Back then, a lot of what we saw in the game at that time was a rare experience. Halo itself, the franchise, is more known for how it has revolutionized the industry and brought so many new innovations to the table. And I still remember when DOOM first became a thing, I mean the two titles have achieved a sort of "immortal" status within the FPS genre. There are many different reasons for why people like it.

-Multiplayer: This aspect appeals to MANY folks. For one example back in the day, one of the biggest things was for friends or family to get together and play online with Split Screen, go Tag Teaming against others. I mean Halo offers you everything; Guns, Vehicles, Aircrafts and a wide variety of maps and game modes to enjoy. The Warthog itself was actually the epitome of this, one of the biggest things many of us were introduced to for the first time in gaming. The concept is golden, one player takes the wheel driving while the other mans the gun, and a third enjoys the ride along. The experience itself of just being able to do something like that appeals to damn near everyone.

There is also the competitive aspect to it. For the longest time and even still now, there has been an ongoing "war" of sorts between the fans of Halo and Call of Duty. COD is characterized by its low ttk ratio (Time to Kill) and fast paced action. And when I mean it has a low ttk, I'm talking I planted myself at the top of a stairway in Black Ops 3 and used the starting Pistol and just racked up the kills left and right without dying once. It took like 3 bullets to the chest to kill someone. And their community absolutely HATES campers, like seriously. COD is basically treated like running around a giant race track on foot hoping you're faster than the other guy with the trigger. Not a whole lot of brain power required. Meanwhile the smart ones realize just how crazy powerful every single weapon is and can literally turn the whole game's design back on itself and score major killing sprees. (The hate is real, should have seen all the rage filled messages I was getting from people. XD )

Meanwhile, Halo has always been the total opposite. You are a lot harder to kill and the game is generally more demanding of the player. Its practically an entirely different mentality, where camping is actually encouraged because its obviously smarter and just common sense not to go running around and making a huge ass target out of yourself. Rushing typically means death. Halo 5 further expands upon this because now you have more abilities to work with, like being able to Quick Boost, Ground Pound, Shoulder Charge or Air Hover.

-Story: Halo is this ongoing epic that continues to grow and evolve over the years. The game's namesake was what first captured our imaginations. That first time you arrive on the Halo station, this MASSIVE ring just floating there in space... The whole notion was amazing, never seen before. It all comes right back to the first game of the series. It begged so many questions, and the hunt for answers is what drove most of us, myself in particular. I wanted to know who or what the hell could have possibly been capable of creating something like that. The lore surrounding this franchise is immense, and there have been SOOOOOOO many like "Mind Blown" moments with it all that I'm afraid to say anything else on the matter just to avoid giving you any spoilers.

-Characters: The series has fostered a large cast of iconic characters that many have fallen in love with. John-117, the Master Chief being one of the most famous and legendary characters in gaming right next to others such as Commander Shepard. Halo is an FPS which proves and once again reminds us that you don't need to be an RPG to have an excellent story with memorable characters. I personally LOVED the entire campaign for Halo 4 and how it really focused on the relationship between John and Cortana. There were loads of character development in it. Again, I can't say much else because I don't want to potentially ruin anything for you.

My advice is that you pick up the "Master Chief Collection" and play through the entire series. Get yourself Halo: Reach too, as that serves as a "prequel" to the events of the first game. That game had some major feels... I won't lie, there were many "moments" in that game that stirred serious emotional responses from me. (Those who played Reach, you know exactly what I'm talking about... "Remember Reach")

Lhouraii likes this

As a long time Halo fan who has played through all the games, watched all the movies/anime and read the books, I would be happy to weigh in on this and explain why it has such a large dedicated following.

It really all began with the first game in the series for the original Xbox, where Bungie really made its mark. Back then, a lot of what we saw in the game at that time was a rare experience. Halo itself, the franchise, is more known for how it has revolutionized the industry and brought so many new innovations to the table. And I still remember when DOOM first became a thing, I mean the two titles have achieved a sort of "immortal" status within the FPS genre. There are many different reasons for why people like it.

-Multiplayer: This aspect appeals to MANY folks. For one example back in the day, one of the biggest things was for friends or family to get together and play online with Split Screen, go Tag Teaming against others. I mean Halo offers you everything; Guns, Vehicles, Aircrafts and a wide variety of maps and game modes to enjoy. The Warthog itself was actually the epitome of this, one of the biggest things many of us were introduced to for the first time in gaming. The concept is golden, one player takes the wheel driving while the other mans the gun, and a third enjoys the ride along. The experience itself of just being able to do something like that appeals to damn near everyone.

There is also the competitive aspect to it. For the longest time and even still now, there has been an ongoing "war" of sorts between the fans of Halo and Call of Duty. COD is characterized by its low ttk ratio (Time to Kill) and fast paced action. And when I mean it has a low ttk, I'm talking I planted myself at the top of a stairway in Black Ops 3 and used the starting Pistol and just racked up the kills left and right without dying once. It took like 3 bullets to the chest to kill someone. And their community absolutely HATES campers, like seriously. COD is basically treated like running around a giant race track on foot hoping you're faster than the other guy with the trigger. Not a whole lot of brain power required. Meanwhile the smart ones realize just how crazy powerful every single weapon is and can literally turn the whole game's design back on itself and score major killing sprees. (The hate is real, should have seen all the rage filled messages I was getting from people. XD )

Meanwhile, Halo has always been the total opposite. You are a lot harder to kill and the game is generally more demanding of the player. Its practically an entirely different mentality, where camping is actually encouraged because its obviously smarter and just common sense not to go running around and making a huge ass target out of yourself. Rushing typically means death. Halo 5 further expands upon this because now you have more abilities to work with, like being able to Quick Boost, Ground Pound, Shoulder Charge or Air Hover.

-Story: Halo is this ongoing epic that continues to grow and evolve over the years. The game's namesake was what first captured our imaginations. That first time you arrive on the Halo station, this MASSIVE ring just floating there in space... The whole notion was amazing, never seen before. It all comes right back to the first game of the series. It begged so many questions, and the hunt for answers is what drove most of us, myself in particular. I wanted to know who or what the hell could have possibly been capable of creating something like that. The lore surrounding this franchise is immense, and there have been SOOOOOOO many like "Mind Blown" moments with it all that I'm afraid to say anything else on the matter just to avoid giving you any spoilers.

-Characters: The series has fostered a large cast of iconic characters that many have fallen in love with. John-117, the Master Chief being one of the most famous and legendary characters in gaming right next to others such as Commander Shepard. Halo is an FPS which proves and once again reminds us that you don't need to be an RPG to have an excellent story with memorable characters. I personally LOVED the entire campaign for Halo 4 and how it really focused on the relationship between John and Cortana. There were loads of character development in it. Again, I can't say much else because I don't want to potentially ruin anything for you.

My advice is that you pick up the "Master Chief Collection" and play through the entire series. Get yourself Halo: Reach too, as that serves as a "prequel" to the events of the first game. That game had some major feels... I won't lie, there were many "moments" in that game that stirred serious emotional responses from me. (Those who played Reach, you know exactly what I'm talking about... "Remember Reach")

Wow, thanks for going into so much detail! This helped me understand better. :)

I played halo 1 when it was new for a while (not a whole lot but enough to understand some things). it did a few thigns pretty new for the fps genre.

I mean it may have not been the very first of certain things but if it wasn't, it was close to it, and those things were still fresh and interesting. These include:

1: auto regen health... lots of people hate this, but it was one of if not the first in an fps that had it, which was more important for multiplayer since players could be in the action more rather than hunt for powerups or whatever.

2: Vehicles... As far as I know, unreal tournament 2k4 was the only other fps I could think of that let you use vehicles in an fps game, and I think halo came first, if not it was pretty close to each other.

3: The setting! Lots of fps games were still world war 2 games, and while there were some that were sci-fi or fantasy, halo was really the only one I could think of that was futuristic in a 'bright'er setting.. lots of the sci-fi/futuristic ones were grim and dark and shit.

4: I don't know about the series, have't played it, but the campaign for halo 1 was actually pretty good by fps standards. Not to mention the enemy design was interesting for the time. Like normal enemies had gimmicks or mechanics that you had to counter rather than aim for the head and shoot, or aim for the body and spray all the time.

Lhouraii likes this

I like halo because if it one of many games that has a story where you dont have to think what is the story real about(apart from halo 5 to a certain degree.Its both fun, funny dialogues from different enemy types,the lore is interesting, the community is great too. i have lots of fun with mcc and halo 5 during our halo events on xbox one, and the competitive/esports scene for halo is another aspect i like and the aspect of teamwork and communication

RuneX likes this