• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Shagger

Wanted Hitman on Disk?

7 posts in this topic

Well tough, you'll be waiting 'till 2017. Even if you pre-orderd

First off, full credit to The Static C on XBL for letting me know about this. He told me reckoning this was worthy of an "Angry Rant". I know Joe won't hear about this through this topic, but I felt it was worth talking about anyway.

Here's the text from the VideoGamer.com article I found and I don't think I've read this caliber of bullshit from a publisher/developer in long time, especially the highlighted paragraph;

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/hitman/news/hitman_disc_release_delayed_to_2017_2.html

UPDATE: IO Interactive has told VideoGamer that delaying the disc version to January 2017 will give it "enough time after the season concludes" to release "the best disc version" it can.

"This year is all about delivering the best episodic experience for Hitman and that takes us to Autumn/Fall," IO said in a statement provided to us this afternoon. "Releasing the disc version in January just makes sure we have enough time after the season concludes to dedicate to getting the best disc version of the game out."

Hitman's first episode remains on track to launch digitally tomorrow, March 11.

ORIGINAL STORY: Hitman's physical disc release has been delayed until January 2017, IO Interactive has confirmed to VideoGamer. The game had previously been due to release on disc at the end of 2016.

A reason for the physical version's delay has not been revealed.

The news comes ahead of the game's digital debut tomorrow, when the first episode arrives on PS4, Xbox One and PC. Seven episodes are scheduled to release throughout 2016, ahead of the game's physical release next year.

The first episode is set in Paris, with future episodes set in Italy, Morocco, Thailand, Japan and the USA. It isn't clear where the seventh episode will take place.

Hitman was originally due to debut last year, of course, but was pushed back to 2016 to give IO additional time to deliver more content at launch. The developer later changed its plans, deciding to split the content into episodic releases. The physical version will include all content released digitally.

VideoGamer has contacted Square Enix for further comment.

Source: Square Enix, IO Interactive

I know this basically the same way that Life is Strange was released but the difference here is;

1. Life is Strange was built from the start be an episodic game like a TellTale title and it works well like that, even though I still insist that episodes are annoying even considering that. Hitman should be a straight up single game like it was meant to be in the first place.
  2. Life is strange releasing on disk was an afterthought, a collection, and had a few extra bells and whistles. It was never intended to be published this way, it's just an extra alternative for after the game was already long out.
  3. They announced this delay on Hitman one day before the game comes out digitally, ONE FUCKING DAY! They shouldn't have let people pre-order physical version at all or at the very least let the word about this delay long before now, like when they first announced this was going to this bullshit episodic platform.

I mean, what more is there to say other than...

Crazycrab likes this

I keep forgetting people still buy physical games. I think releasing it at the end is the best decision though. The other alternative is releasing a disk with 1/5th of a game on it (or however many parts they're planning) and getting just as many, if not more, people complaining about needing an internet connection, bandwidth cap, etc. for a game they bought on disk.

This is why you shouldn't pre-order period. If you pay for something sight unseen, you shouldn't be surprised when it isn't exactly what you wanted.

articman likes this

I'm personally not surprised, but I do feel sorry for people who preordered and I don't at the same time. We gamers have learnt way too many times how much preordering is not worth it, so if others keep on doing it, well it's their fault. They decided to support this kind of shit, even tho this isn't the first or the last time that something like fucking this happened and that all of a sudden, one day before release, a developer or publisher has decided to fuck something up and come up with some bullshit for an excuse.

True, company was an ass for not announcing it earlier, but gamers still preordered it...

I mean, I'm simply not surprised and I'm also not sorry. This shit will keep on happening as long as people preorder. End of story.

Like how hard is not to click that preorder button? You are basically already buying something you don't even know what it's going to be like, except reading and seeing promotional material for it. 

I find this kind of stuff so fun to read now, just to laugh at how fucking greedy people are. It's sad, but oh boy, it's hilarious. 

I know I'm being a total dick and harsh on such people, but it's just true and I can't help it. Gamers just aren't changing in this sense and it's sad, because we are supporting this kind of stuff. Few companies will trully feel sorry for this and compensate them.

I keep forgetting people still buy physical games. I think releasing it at the end is the best decision though. The other alternative is releasing a disk with 1/5th of a game on it (or however many parts they're planning) and getting just as many, if not more, people complaining about needing an internet connection, bandwidth cap, etc. for a game they bought on disk.

This is why you shouldn't pre-order period. If you pay for something sight unseen, you shouldn't be surprised when it isn't exactly what you wanted.

I understand it's cumbersome to release a disk based game episodically, but that's exactly why they shouldn't have taken pre-orders for it in the first place. They're charging someone full price now for a game that will be almost a year old by the time they get to play it. All the episodes (of which there are seven, apparently) will be long out by the time the physical version comes out. Will the game be worth that much by then? No, so why charge that much for it? It's just completely and utterly unfair. This was fine for Life is Strange because that game was created to be this way from the ground up and they didn't even announce the physical version 'till long after the game was out digitally, much less accept pre-orders for it before the game was out at all. So you see, that's fair.

And giving people one days notice of this is just the icing on the shit cake.

Crazycrab and Apex Spartan like this

I had a chunk of store credit to by this. I am aware of the consequences of pre-ordering but didnt expect the game to not even be given to me. I'm pissed but not suprised either. The fact is, a lot of gamers are not aware of such trickery. Not sure if I've ever seen this type of screw over before. If it's a new thing then maybe we should bring it up to up our defenses. A pre-ordered game that was junk was not so scary so I didn't care much, but not being able to have the game in my hand on the day of release + wait a year to have it.....I don't know if that should be tolerated. A good group of people that love hitman and want to support IO-Interactive by pre-ordering there game + hard copy because of their preferance in game types.....have to wait a year to have the game while the others play and have fun? Should this be ignored? 

Shagger and Apex Spartan like this

Nope that explanation does not fly at all, If the game is single player and disc based than it should not require an internet connection - period.  So those people have every right to complain.   If circumstances don't allow them deliver the disc based version when the game is launched then they should not have made it available for pre-order in the first place!

The so called "Pre-order culture" is not the problem.  If a game is coming out that I know I wanna play and if pre-ordering it comes with a few bonus' then why the hell shouldn't I?  This is the case of a company not delivering the product at the time that they specified and anyone who pre-ordered a physical copy should be refunded or at least be given a digital key as well.

Shagger likes this

I had a chunk of store credit to by this. I am aware of the consequences of pre-ordering but didnt expect the game to not even be given to me. I'm pissed but not suprised either. The fact is, a lot of gamers are not aware of such trickery. Not sure if I've ever seen this type of screw over before. If it's a new thing then maybe we should bring it up to up our defenses. A pre-ordered game that was junk was not so scary so I didn't care much, but not being able to have the game in my hand on the day of release + wait a year to have it.....I don't know if that should be tolerated. A good group of people that love hitman and want to support IO-Interactive by pre-ordering there game + hard copy because of their preferance in game types.....have to wait a year to have the game while the others play and have fun? Should this be ignored? 

Thanks for coming to the topic and sharing more details about how you were conned, but that's what happened you were fucking conned. And you're right, this should not be ignored.

Publishers want to go digital to avoid being called out on on-disk DLC and increase profit margins by not having some store take a cut. They will do whatever it takes to get pre-orders to avoid the effect of critique from anyone other than the people they can pay for. The only people that can truly be trusted are those that can't play the game before launch and give their opinions 'till it's already to late and the game has sold by the truckload. This thing with releasing Hitman episodically is a diabolical but equally clever way to kill both those birds with one stone and get people to buy the game before it's even finished.

There are some circumstances where a pre-order is understandable for a consumer. One of them is if a person is in a rural area without great internet and the only game store for miles only gets so many copies of a game so if you really want to avoid waiting days if not weeks to get yours. So you go to the store and pre-order a PHYSICAL COPY!

That is why this particular pre-order controversy pisses me of so much. It hurts people who have a legitimate reason to do so. Now, if you have a PS4 or an XB1, you'll have internet almost certainly, but that doesn't mean that downloading all you games is in any way convenient so that still makes this unacceptable.

And, once again, ONE DAYS NOTICE!

Crazycrab and Apex Spartan like this