• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Mr. Molotov

Windows 10 Forcibly Installing Itself On Computers

40 posts in this topic

So, this isn't good in the slightest:

It's not enough for Windows to inform me daily about how many people have upgraded to Windows 10 and how much happier I would be if only I would stop resisting and submit-  reports are coming in of Windows 10 taking matters into it's own hands and installing itself on Windows 7 and 8.1 systems without permission.

Found out about this from PC Gamer, full article will be linked below along with the thread about it on Reddit. If this is true, Windows is now officially malware IMO. Really hope this gets them in trouble with the government if it installs itself on government computers and deletes or misplaces classified info, although I seriously doubt it will for reasons that should be obvious to anyone following US politics. I'm going over to Linux, hopefully CrossOver 15 works as advertised. And even if it doesn't, then I can do without computer gaming for a while.

http://www.pcgamer.com/heads-up-windows-10-may-be-sneaking-onto-pcs-without-permission/

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4a0asv/warning_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

ichig1vsnarut0 likes this

I'm still using windows 8.1 (yes, I know has a crappy UI, but I'm not interested in upgrading from what I've been seeing from Windows 10) and outside pop-ups, I haven't been anything Windows 10 related on my PC.

Mr. Molotov likes this

Scary '-', i mean, i find win10 great atm. But, you know, it shouldn't try to install itself on your system.

Mr. Molotov and Apex Spartan like this

I'm still using windows 8.1 (yes, I know has a crappy UI, but I'm not interested in upgrading from what I've been seeing from Windows 10) and outside pop-ups, I haven't been anything Windows 10 related on my PC.

Same here. But I turned off automatic updates just to be sure. 

This actually happened to me the other day. Was working on a project for school when my computer randomly shut down and started "upgrading" to Windows 10. Freaked me out. Luckily, it does allow you to restore your old operating system within 30 days of switching and no damage was done. Turning off automatic updates will help prevent this from happening, but if you're already getting notices about upgrading, then turning off automatic updates won't stop it. Automatic updates installs some program that is responsible for pestering you about Windows 10 and eventually "scheduling" your computer to be automatically "upgraded". That's the problem child. If it isn't removed, it will keep pestering you and will auto "upgrade" your computer. Once removed, turn auto update off so that it doesn't get installed again. I forget what it's name is, but you should be able to Google it. 

I like Windows 10 but this is totally unacceptable, they should not be forcing it down peoples throats.  If your in this situation here's an article from PC Advisor that might help.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-stay-on-windows-7-8-forever-3614204/

Bit of a typo there.

Thanks for pointing that out, I've always had a bit of a blind spot with that word for some reason.....

Good microsoft, good. Go down the drain of evilness even more! Feed the Corporate Commander more!!!!

Ancient likes this

It's been like that since the day one, where the hell have you been?

This coupled with the UWP pretty much makes a controlled platform. Guess who's gonna like that? Nobody

Sadly as someone already mention, this has been a thing since it launched. Windows really wants to force their new OS by quietly updating without permission if you have automatic normal updates. Baiting gamers with OS exclusives. Just overall bad way to treat their consumers.

Mr. Molotov likes this

Oh, I do think Windows (and I mean all Windows versions) has been a shit operating system from day one. But malware? I generally consider malware to be stuff that shadily inserts itself into your PC when you aren't looking, and then won't leave. While Windows has certainly been the latter, up until now it it seemed to be just toeing the line between consensual and nonconsensual installation. Basically blackmailing it's way into computers by holding video games ransom. Now we have proof that Microsoft is in fact forcibly inseminating people's computers with Windows 10. Fucking computer raping bastards...

I heard about this, it's rude and disrespectful of Microsoft doing this.

Oh, I do think it's been a shit operating system from day one. But malware? I generally consider malware to be stuff that shadily inserts itself into your PC when you aren't looking, and then won't leave. While Windows has certainly been the latter, up until now it it seemed to be just toeing the line between consensual and nonconsensual installation. Basically blackmailing it's way into computers by holding video games ransom. Now we have proof that Microsoft is in fact forcibly inseminating people's computers with Windows 10. Fucking computer raping bastards...

Well it's not a shit OS, I've been using it since August, and it's impressive. But yeah, the whole forced download thing is something Win10 has been doing since day one.

Just follow those instructions that Reddit posted or go to Update Center and disable automatic updates and delete the Windows 10 update.

Crazycrab likes this

Well it's not a shit OS, I've been using it since August, and it's impressive. But yeah, the whole forced download thing is something Win10 has been doing since day one.

Just follow those instructions that Reddit posted or go to Update Center and disable automatic updates and delete the Windows 10 update.

Eh, I've never used it and don't plan to so I wouldn't know. It's just that almost every experience I've had with a Microsoft product has been an uphill battle to deal with a crappily designed UI. I guess it figures that the first time they get that part right is also when they go full dickhead on consumers.

I installed Windows 10 right after upgrading my laptop 1 month ago, so phew, good thing I do that before this happens.

I installed Windows 10 right after upgrading my laptop 1 month ago, so phew, good thing I do that before this happens.

Oh crap, the rest of us are about to go to sleep which means Kaz is up!  (It's nothing personal, you just happen to live on the opposite corner of the planet!)

Oh crap, the rest of us are about to go to sleep which means Kaz is up! (It's nothing personal, you just happen to live on the opposite corner of the planet!)

It's 12 pm here currently, office lunch break. So for you people it might already be bed time. Timezones is weird.

I find it strange they would do something this sneaky and it be avoided simply by turning off windows update.

Oh and for those of you who don't know the news about updates on windows 10... they are impossible to turn on windows 10 home edition.