• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Legolas_Katarn

The Division Angry Review

45 posts in this topic

Saw this score and his reasons coming a mile away sadly. Comparing to Destiny is just all kinds of wrong and makes the score feel so out of place and unfair. Basically, Joe is saying that Destiny's

Complete lack of story

Cookie cutter PvP system

Horrible RnG loot system

Non-existant map that goes hub> recycled map> hub> rinse/repeat

Lack of gun variety and modifications

Insanely long bullet sponge boss battles

Armor that is far more simple stat wise

are all better than what Division has to offer? Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Destiny for what it is. But it is nowhere near as good as Division...hell just listening to Del in both games says it all. Division actually has a story with characters that bring life to the game instead of just grinding through the same missions with no real point except for completing for loot/badges. Finishing missions in Division adds benefits to the players' experience through loot, perks, story, and base unlocks. Dark Zone was a big step in innovation and was fine in Beta until the cry babies had it ruined. If you think going Rogue is punishing..you never heard of the Jedi slot in Star Wars: Galaxies (pre-fuck up) lol.

To keep this from dragging on, even with all the problems Division has...it didn't deserve that bad of a score and already people are quickly getting turned away from it. But such is life, I will continue to play and enjoy what it has to offer.

Malphisto and Glaice like this

and are you still able to close car doors???

Yes, it's an achievement.

undeadslayer4 likes this

Yes, it's an achievement.

hurrah!!!!!!!!!!

Still havent played the game enough to decide or watch the video. But i was having doubts about the score using destiny as a par myself.

I wouldnt be too offended by the score though simply cuz I think scores in reviews are derp. Always have, even before youtube was a thing.

I rememeber back in grade 11 I proposed to fellow students in my distance ed "class" about scoreless game reviews and i dont really recall anyonr really agreeing.

Still the games dlc could suck ubisoft suck at dlc 

I don't even know why people keep comparing it to Destiny. It really does discredit the game immensely. From what I've heard of Destiny it's nothing like The Division. I think just because it's a shooter MMO with instanced and Open world stuff people lump it together with destiny. Just because it's has guns and is quasi MMO it's a Destiny clone? Comon. For one Division, although small, is open world while Destiny you fly to different planets but it's essentially like going from level to level on Halo, but you can choose which levels to go to and can do them over again with loot drops. It has hubs where you can see other players and group up, that's like the Division for PvE areas. But Darkzone is all open world where you can see and run into everyone there that is in your level bracket. Division has a story while Destiny has a guy that says there is a story but doesn't have time to tell you it. I think if Joe hadn't been comparing it to Destiny the whole time, the score would have been different.

When it started flickering out (around 27:30 in the video) it reminded me of some early DayZ glitches!

Yeah, this looks like crap. Not surprised, really.

I think people compare it to destiny not to discredit either game, but to... Destiny isn't actually all bad, it does have some good, and people saw a lot of potential that was wasted due to the awful loot mechanics and the reused spawn points and all that shit... The division is more like what Destiny SHOULD  have been, minus the different setting...IMO.

edit: okies I watched the review and still haven't played more than an hour or two... when I played I didn't see anything glitchy, but I can see some things.

I completely agree with Joe where he says the Tom Clancy name is holding the game down more than helping... it limits the enemy variety and whatnot, without really contributing anything to compensate. Though I have to say that during Joe's preview of the game, he was like 'I like how there are riders, and cleaners, and ___" (I don't remember)... but basically he went out of his way to say how he liked enemy variety, and in the review he criticizes it. I don't think he's being a hipocrite per say.. but rather that when he's invited to a preview thing, he's being polite and friendly too much, and doesn't want to push his luck with criticism. In his position, rather than compliment the bullet window things, and the enemy variety, I would have done something like 'you know what guys, I noticed that the window shooting and such still works, and that's really cool, but I'm worried that the enemy varity needs some love too, because it isn't nearly as cool as your physics and bump-map features (or whatever).

Obviously I doubt joe alone could have remedied this by pointing it out back then, but if he did then, AND then point it out in his review, and if the majority of the community critiques this issue upon release like I suspect they will (regardless of if you think joe's score is too low or correct, the enemy variety is most likely the largest issue), they might say 'gee, joe knew exactly what this game needed most before release, and he was right, maybe we should contact him again even though he blasted us in his review).... of course this wont happen because he COMPLIMENTED the enemy variety in the preview, then blasted it in review, making it look insincere (IMO).

I think Joe can be good at pointing out flaws, and I think he is good at networking, but he needs improvement at being polite and giving 'tough, but respectful love' in a priviledged position given via his networking skills. I fear I convey what I mean poorly. blah.

Another bog standard, mediocre and buggy Ubisoft game..what else is new? Why do you people keep falling for the hype and the game ends up being garbage or substandard (IE AC: Unity) ??

I've been playing the game for EF only lately, except for the first week when I went ham on the game. I even wrote a review, and have almost 50 hours of gameplay. However I agree with Joe that this game is average, graphics are great but the aesthetic is bland, the combat is boring and adding bullet sponge enemies that charge you isn't adding anything innovative to the combat. The fact is that there is nothing special about this game.

If I wanted to play a 4 group loot grindy 3rd person shooter I'd play Warframe, it has better combat, weapons and story, and it looks shiny as hell. It's even free!

I hope the next game will be called "The Subtraction" and has a lot of downgraded aspects from The Division. :D

Honestly, what's annoying me the most are these various expectations people are throwing at it.

For example, a lack of enemy variety? I would love it if people would just stop complaining about this without giving at least some inclination as to what in the hell THEY think would somehow make it more so. Has anyone even noticed all the different types of enemies in each faction? And no, they don't all play the same. The standard assault rifle guy that each faction has all behave differently as a prime example. Cleaners will steadily advance on your position to get within range so that they can douse you with napalm since their rifles have an attached flamethrower rigged up under the barrel. The Rioters have like 2-3 different standard assault guys who damn near all seem to be packing grenades, especially those damn fire ones that they use to try and flush you out of cover. And they WILL just be like "fuck you" and run up on your position unless you can manage to put enough heat on them to make the bastards back off.

I could probably sit here and type up a legit list showing just how many different enemies there are and how they differ in behavior between each faction. Namely because I've beaten every single Challenge Mission against every single faction. No joke, the variety is indeed here, and you immediately notice those differences when playing on the highest difficulty.

And we're going to criticize The Division's final boss being a Helicopter when Destiny's final boss was three of the exact same mini boss that you already defeated previously in that game? Seriously? No recognition or any kind of props given for this at all? That the final boss actually be something that you haven't encountered? Rather we should play it off and insult the game over this?

You'll hear all the time how the game is boring and yet no one ever explains why. I've asked others if they could elaborate on this and the question is either flatout ignored or I get an idiotic "It just is" response. Because I'm trying to investigate why folks feel the game is boring. Ultimately, the best I could manage to get from anyone is that its repetitive. Which leads me to question further "aren't most if not all online games repetitive?" You will always find a repetitive activity boring, the point there is then how well a game can make repeating something as less boring as possible. So to just label any game as boring for the sole purpose of it being "repetitive" isn't a good reason.

And they put out a patch that fixed the penalties and rewards for the Dark Zone. The problems that the game has aren't issues that couldn't easily be addressed. Its not hard to change numbers or drop rates and they already are doing so.

Dyzzles and Rain like this

On 3/20/2016 at 3:42 AM, Rain said:

Saw this score and his reasons coming a mile away sadly. Comparing to Destiny is just all kinds of wrong and makes the score feel so out of place and unfair. Basically, Joe is saying that Destiny's

Complete lack of story

Cookie cutter PvP system

Horrible RnG loot system

Non-existant map that goes hub> recycled map> hub> rinse/repeat

Lack of gun variety and modifications

Insanely long bullet sponge boss battles

Armor that is far more simple stat wise

are all better than what Division has to offer? Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Destiny for what it is. But it is nowhere near as good as Division...hell just listening to Del in both games says it all. Division actually has a story with characters that bring life to the game instead of just grinding through the same missions with no real point except for completing for loot/badges. Finishing missions in Division adds benefits to the players' experience through loot, perks, story, and base unlocks. Dark Zone was a big step in innovation and was fine in Beta until the cry babies had it ruined. If you think going Rogue is punishing..you never heard of the Jedi slot in Star Wars: Galaxies (pre-fuck up) lol.

To keep this from dragging on, even with all the problems Division has...it didn't deserve that bad of a score and already people are quickly getting turned away from it. But such is life, I will continue to play and enjoy what it has to offer.

The qualms I have that brought my review to a 5 as well are quite different than his, but honestly... this is a less complete game than Destiny day one. And that saddens me. Right this second, Destiny: The Taken King is MILES ahead of Division. They've had time to figure out their fuckups, and hopefully Ubi will too, but honestly I doubt it. The fact that they have a "Once Year Plan" tells me it'll be 85% dead in say.... 5-6 months max. Which is sad.

I rail on the game a lot, but that's because there's so much that I enjoy amidst a lot of small but extremely shitty choices they made with the game.

(If anyone is interested, this is a link to my review. Don't wanna throw a huge thumbnail on the screen there.)

Also, saying that "Division actually has a story with characters that bring life to the game" literally made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that. Sincerely.

This game has the Destiny Problem™ of Absolute GARBAGE charaters and story, but the lore and the world are fascinating. At least the lore is in the game.... *cough*

But that doesn't change the atrocity that is Ubi's expectations for me to remember who the fuck anyone is or why the fuck I should care about them. I kinda just wanna join the First Wave Agents and murder everyone I've had to put up with.

2 minutes ago, Jayson's Rage said:

Also, saying that "Division actually has a story with characters that bring life to the game" literally made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that. Sincerely.

This game has the Destiny Problem™ of Absolute GARBAGE charaters and story, but the lore and the world are fascinating. At least the lore is in the game.... *cough*

You have a funny way of comparing the characters from Division and the drones from Destiny, really, I don't get how you came with that conclusion. Even the ONE character with the most lines in Destiny doesn't tell you a damn thing. Whereas in Division, although boring to most, there is plenty of dialogue and from numerous characters. Just because you found them boring doesn't mean there was no characters telling a story throughout the game.

Obviously Taken King has completely surpassed Day One Division, it's had almost a year and a half to do it! And you're being hypocritical because Destiny had the same 1 year plan...or was it 10 year (thank you for that laugh as well). This argument can go on forever trust me.

11 minutes ago, Rain said:

You have a funny way of comparing the characters from Division and the drones from Destiny, really, I don't get how you came with that conclusion. Even the ONE character with the most lines in Destiny doesn't tell you a damn thing. Whereas in Division, although boring to most, there is plenty of dialogue and from numerous characters. Just because you found them boring doesn't mean there was no characters telling a story throughout the game.

Obviously Taken King has completely surpassed Day One Division, it's had almost a year and a half to do it! And you're being hypocritical because Destiny had the same 1 year plan...or was it 10 year (thank you for that laugh as well). This argument can go on forever trust me.

Who is arguing? We're explaining why we feel how we feel. All in good fun <3

Now, I know Destiny has a 10 year plan. I just find it funny that Ubi, after already knowing this, would be proud in saying "We have a 1 year plan!" Which sounds like "We plan on completely dumping this game in a year! See you later fuckers!"

And it's sad, but I actually cared more about Dinklebot than I did about miss "Oh no I go kaboom and now I'm completely useless. Why am I even here?" (I never get her name right. I know there's a Faye in there somewhere). And that's like... your main story companion. At least DBot PRETENDED to be useful. The reason I say the story and characters are worse is because Division, moreso then Destiny even, constantly pushes them in your face like they're proud of what the just shat onto the page. There's NO was the same people who came up with the background lore and such came up with the main story.

There was nothing hypocritical about what I said, if you read it again, you'll see I mentioned

24 minutes ago, Jayson's Rage said:

They've had time to figure out their fuckups, and hopefully Ubi will too, but honestly I doubt it.

Meaning that, yes, Bungie has had time to fix things, and I want to see where Division is at the same marker as Taken King, but from what I'm seeing, they've got a larger uphill battle.

And, like I said before, I may hate the game more than I love it, but I DO love it. That's why it's a 5 for me. Hit some great aspects, missed TERRIBLY on others. I'm just disappointed that they didn't learn from Destiny's fuckups and repeated a lot of them.

And I agree, however for me Destiny just had more fuck ups. When I hear 1 year plan, 10 year plan...whatever, it's bad from the get go. Destiny is making due on their promise in terms of making the game better and if Division fails to do so I'll happily eat my words. However, I still enjoy Division more regardless and basically it comes down to what we both enjoyed most and disliked most.

For me, Destiny dropped the ball because all it is for me is "get from A to B and kill em all" with nothing else to draw my attention, and I still fully enjoy the game for what it is. Wherein Division, it's "get from A to B, kill em all..oh look random shit to look at and listen to and hmmm...time to go try my luck in DZ" and loot is way more engaging than Destiny and far more versatile. It's hard to fuck up awesome glowing pillars of light especially when they are purple and perhaps a few blues. Not to mention when you die before grabbing the loot and getting that aching burning feeling to get back for revenge and grab said loot. Simply put, Division has me more engaged.

Another qualm I didn't REALLY bring up is the Dark Zone. After a few times it's just... old. There's SO much they could have done with it to make it fucking awesome, just building on top of what it is now. But newp. It has it's moments. But they are few, far between and very fleeting.

1 hour ago, Jayson's Rage said:

Who is arguing? We're explaining why we feel how we feel.

No, you really aren't. I apologize if I might sound brash here, but this is the recurring trend that keeps grinding my gears.

"I found this boring."
Why?

"It just was."

That is seriously the extent of what has been said here. You're drawing comparisons between the characters in Destiny to The Division and saying one is better than the other with literally NO reason why outside of "just because" and that irritates the crap out of me. How can anyone be a critic about anything when they themselves have zero basis for such allegations? I'm just so exhausted from seeing the same thing everywhere.

You cared more about Dinklebot than Faye. But why? That reads a logic error, there is no reasoning behind this. It is a notion that cannot be understood nor disputed because there is no intellectual foundation for it. Yeah, of course no one is arguing because there is quite literally nothing to argue. Anything that anyone were to try and say in opposition to your statement would just as easily be dismissed by you saying "that's just how I felt." Literally anyone can say the exact same thing about anything. Geralt of Rivia could be awarded one of the best portrayed video game characters of all time and yet someone could just waltz up and be like "I hated him" and give no reason as to why they actually feel that way.

Where are the standards, man?

I mean its not just that, either. And if you want to say this is a matter of personal preference? That you prefer a tiny floating robot with like two moments of dry humor as opposed to an actual person with a more serious-minded character role? Then THAT is what you say. That's called clarification, your preference doesn't match up. But at no point in time does THAT rationale ever justify declaring the other character as being worse in comparison. At that point you're just being incredibly biased. Like how dare this other person not be the same as this other character.

Or how about saying Vanilla Destiny offered more than this. Like wow, really? What exactly was there more of by comparison?

Vanilla Destiny had...
-Zero Context (You were dead, brought back to life with no reaction or background info given at all and then it was suddenly your job to kill aliens because...reasons?)
-Small World (If you took the maps for Earth, the Moon, Venus and Mars and combined them, The Division would probably still be bigger)
-Pointless NPCs (They were literally all just glorified Vendors. It took them until TTK which at that point was a $140 investment to finally get anything even remotely resembling what one would expect from NPCs in a story. And even then? I gave TTK a score of Nathan Fillion because he carried that entire storyline.)
-Recycled Content (The Black Heart mission, Final Boss. Need I say more?)

Now let's do a comparison, shall we?

Vanilla Division has...
-Story Context (You know why you are here, you find out why the others before you failed their mission and you are presented with clearly defined antagonists. Beginning, Middle and End)
-Large World (I have the "preference" to explore game worlds and unlike Destiny, I found more reason and reward with The Division. The only reason to explore in Destiny was for Dead Ghosts to unlock more of the non-existent story that you wished was in the actual game and the stupid treasure chests which really didn't give anything worthwhile, as opposed to The Division which is filled with collectibles that likewise reward you upon completing said collections, serving to add more atmosphere to the game and overall plot, as well as all of the loot in the game all having some sort of purpose. Not to mention finding these random locked doors that need lockpicks to open to access more areas. Others may not care or have any interest in this sort of thing, but I personally like my games caring enough to give us explorers a nod)

-Useful NPCs (Faye alone gives you more info than Dinklebot, the Stranger, the Speaker, the Awoken Queen and her brother AND the whole damn Guardian Vanguard Council combined. Jessica is your major insight for the virus itself and gives you leads to work off of to track down the source of the disaster as well as the cure. Paul works with you and Faye to understand more about what happened to the First Wave and eventually discover how everything went from bad to worse. Benitez is ever driving the hammer and giving your crusade against the other factions more emphasis and meaning. All of this conveyed to you with good voice acting on top of it all)

-New Content (Yes, a Helicopter. Sorry it wasn't Metal Gear Rex or something instead. =P )

There is a LOGICAL BASIS for saying that The Division is BETTER and offers MORE than Vanilla Destiny.

Its not Sci-Fi? That's personal preference.

Its people instead of aliens or robots? That's personal preference.

Its not a First Person Shooter? That's personal preference.

Its bullet sponges instead of being realistic? That's personal preference.

Huge. Difference.

Something not being a personal preference does not translate to "bad game" or "5/10". SCIENCE. Using the scientific method to render a logical conclusion. That is what I respect. That is what I expect from anyone who looks to give a review of anything.

Corporate Agent likes this

I really like "The Division".

Sure it gets repetetive sometimes but...hey. What game doesn't get repetetive at times?