• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

undeadslayer4

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

24 posts in this topic

Ok so first off whoever hasn't watch this movie go watch it. It is a absolute kung fu cult classic in china. However, after watching the movie just yesterday it took me some time to process just the ending.

1. Why did Zhang Ziyi jump off and fall down the mountain. Was she trying to kill herself???

2. How come most of the characters fighting each other all of a sudden able to fight on thin branches, fly through the air, run sideways on walls, and jump across far buildings.

Ok so first off whoever hasn't watch this movie go watch it. It is a absolute kung fu cult classic in china. However, after watching the movie just yesterday it took me some time to process just the ending.

1. Why did Zhang Ziyi jump off and fall down the mountain. Was she trying to kill herself???

2. How come most of the characters fighting each other all of a sudden able to fight on thin branches, fly through the air, run sideways on walls, and jump across far buildings.

I remember watching this movie close to when it first came out and this is the exact reason I didn't like it at all.  I'm a huge fan of kung fu movies but the stunts in this one just looked really stupid to me.  I prefer the Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee method of fast paced choreography and skill over the overuse of wires

A lot of Chinese Kung Fu Fantasy movie characters can jump high, run on walls and such. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, being one such movie is no different.

If you have Netflix, they have the sequel on there.

I dont remember the Crouching Tiger movie that much but, I remember that stuff. I watched other Chinese movies where similar stuff is done. I had this one movie when I was young with Jet Li where him and a woman climb to the rooftop of whatever temple they were at, then an army shot a bunch of arrows at said temple and Jet Li and the woman suddenly started flying and deflecting a bunch of the arrows with sticks so that it wouldnt hit the temple? I always assumed since then that the flying around stuff was just a style of Chinese theater.

Never mind, my memory didnt serve me 100% correct, found the video.

A lot of Chinese Kung Fu Fantasy movie characters can jump high, run on walls and such. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, being one such movie is no different.
If you have Netflix, they have the sequel on there.

Heard it's a disappointment

I dont remember the Crouching Tiger movie that much but, I remember that stuff. I watched other Chinese movies where similar stuff is done. I had this one movie when I was young with Jet Li where him and a woman climb to the rooftop of whatever temple they were at, then an army shot a bunch of arrows at said temple and Jet Li and the woman suddenly started flying and deflecting a bunch of the arrows with sticks so that it wouldnt hit the temple? I always assumed since then that the flying around stuff was just a style of Chinese theater.

Never mind, my memory didnt serve me 100% correct, found the video.

Don't forget the Myth they had that stuff too. But it made sense though

Heard it's a disappointment

Compared to the first, sure. On it's own, its mediocre to ok. If you already have Netflix, go and watch it and make your own opinion.

Back then this movie was very popular. The kung fu was "wowwww, look at them flyyyyy" Now it's like "what the hell is this fake ass looking crap"

Nah2, the true Chinese martial arts cinema classics are the old ones, like Jackie Chan movies

Jet Li movies

More recent ones are Killzone

And Ip Man

Not films that has flying in it that looks silly. True fight scenes don't need that.

Crazycrab and undeadslayer4 like this

Nah2, the true Chinese martial arts cinema classics are the old ones, like Jackie Chan movies

These are more realistic Chinese Martial Arts movies, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon falls under Fantasy.

These are more realistic Chinese Martial Arts movies, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon falls under Fantasy.

More like "flying all over the place with wires while doing kung fu" films. Fantasy chinese films back in the day don't use flying that much. They're there but in moderation, not all over the place. They're more funny and out of the walls insane, like this

There's even a Street Fighter inspired martial arts movie called Future Cops

It's one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. And quite good actually. One of the better video game movie adaptation out there.

And there's another one called Shaolin Popey 2, which has a woman giving her breast milk to a young martial arts shaolin monk so he can fight someone. That actually is real.

I watched this when I was 10........ It changed my life.

undeadslayer4 likes this

More like "flying all over the place with wires while doing kung fu" films. Fantasy chinese films back in the day don't use flying that much. They're there but in moderation, not all over the place. They're more funny and out of the walls insane, like this

Found this: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Chinese-Martial-Arts-characters-in-movies-have-the-ability-to-fly-and-jump-around-like-superheroes

Google once again answers the question.

Also found this to answer question 1.

There you go, Wuxia films. I watched a lot of chinese movies in the 90s when I was young with a lot of that stuff.

Those wuxia films back then in the 80s and 90s did not use flying as all over the place as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or the ones after like Hero and Curse of the Golden Flower. They use them when it's necessary. Or not as all over the place.

The 2000's have much more of those films that has too much flying and less ground fighting, and a lot of the times they have slow motions too, for some reason. Maybe it's some kind of trend in place to make them more appealing.

One of the better modern film is the Forbidden Kingdom, the Jet Li and Jackie Chan film. It's a good mix of flying and ground fighting, and also it has both of them together. Can't go wrong with that.

Also Kung Fu Panda.

For the Westerners, we have Rush Hour starring Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan:

I was more of a house of flying daggers fan than a crouching tiger guy myself. Whether it's their action or the romance, I just prefer it in daggers a bit more. Hero, however, I find to be far better than the two.

God, Rush Hour 2 have to be one of my favorite movies of all time. 

If you bought a subscription to watch Chinese channels on cable TV, you can able to watch any of the Wuxia films.

One of the better modern film is the Forbidden Kingdom, the Jet Li and Jackie Chan film. It's a good mix of flying and ground fighting, and also it has both of them together. Can't go wrong with that.

Seriously when is Jackie Chan and Jet Li ever going to be in a movie together. It's been a while.

Seriously when is Jackie Chan and Jet Li ever going to be in the same movie together it's been a while now.

As much as I love Jackie Chan I think he's reaching the point where he needs to retire, at least from action roles.

Seriously when is Jackie Chan and Jet Li ever going to be in the same movie together it's been a while now.

To answer the FIRST question, she threw herself off because the legend was she would turn into a bird and fly off to be with her love, which it is implied she did.

Good movie, but I do prefer Jet-Li or Donnie Yen's more physical skill based kung fu.

If you ever get around to it watch Red Cliff. If you're a Dynasty Warriors fan you'll recognize it as a telling of the battle of Chi Bi.

Oh, and be sure it's the 5 hour international version ;)

Better that they don't do that now. They're OLLLLLD now, and slow. They can't do what they used to anymore. The last solo film Jackie did was Armor of God 3 from 2012, and he ain't looking too good in that. If they have to do martial arts stunts, I'm afraid they will be fatally injured.

Now the new martial arts movie champ goes to Indonesia. My home country. Fun fact: they hit each other for real, but they hold back their fist. Most of the time.

The latest Ip Man film has cool fights though. Myke Tyson vs Ip Man. And he's evenly matched...... Sure why not.

Pretty much shows that Wing Chun beats Muay Thai. Either that or the guy who fights Ip Man leave himself open for counter attacks too much, so he gives Muay Thai a bad name.

If you ever get around to it watch Red Cliff. If you're a Dynasty Warriors fan you'll recognize it as a telling of the battle of Chi Bi.

Oh, and be sure it's the 5 hour international version ;)

Already did the movie is like 6 hrs I think.

Better that they don't do that now. They're OLLLLLD now, and slow. They can't do what they used to anymore. The last solo film Jackie did was Armor of God 3 from 2012, and he ain't looking too good in that. If they have to do martial arts stunts, I'm afraid they will be fatally injured.

Now the new martial arts movie champ goes to Indonesia. My home country. Fun fact: they hit each other for real, but they hold back their fist. Most of the time.

The latest Ip Man film has cool fights though. Myke Tyson vs Ip Man. And he's evenly matched...... Sure why not.

Pretty much shows that Wing Chun beats Muay Thai. Either that or the guy who fights Ip Man leave himself open for counter attacks too much, so he gives Muay Thai a bad name.

So I'm guessing donnie yen just going to replace jet li and jackie chan??

So I'm guessing donnie yen just going to replace jet li and jackie chan??

Not really. Donnie Yen is the same as both of them, he just became popular after he did Killzone and Ip Man.

The one who will replace them is Tony Jaa.

Either him or Iko Uwais and Mad Dog from the Raid. Time for new martial arts action stars to be born.

Or this guy's good too.