• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Soulprovider17

So angry army what games have you enjoyed that you think were underrated

33 posts in this topic

As the title states i'm curious as to what fellow community members favorite games that just seemed to not get the support/marketing they needed to be successful. One of my favorites is a mystery/adventure game known as murdered:soul suspect that I never even heard about until steam introduced the queue system and I found it by chance and I feel that it disappeared because of poor marketing. So seriously what games would you love to see get more word of mouth and see a sequel to that maybe other members don't know about?

Andybear14 likes this

I've kind of liked Bound by Flame so far, though I haven't finished and it's pretty un-polished.

Sam & Max. One of Telltale's first franchises, and underrated indeed.

I have a couple of games that "died out" too early or never recieved enough money to make a sequel

One of them is a game from 2009 if i remember correctly, called Shattered Horizon

It was a space combat game that focused heavily on the freedom of gravity 

The soundtrack was/still is phenominal

The game was released at a bad time where people weren't willing to change from DirectX9 to 10

You can read about it here actually http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-09-shattered-horizon-the-fps-that-got-lost-in-space

Another game lost in the masses were Special Forces Team X

it was a fun little third person shooter by zombie studios, the same guys behind Blacklight Retribution

It was however shortlived and the game died out in a couple of months 

Another game was just too expensive to keep running

Which is what happend to March Of War

which is a turn based strategy game set in an alternative WW2 which has been going on for alot longer

It ended up just closing down all of the sudden.

Other games just were not succesful enough for a sequel 

For example Darkest Of Days 

which was a first person shooter in which you traveled around to different time zones making sure everything goes according to history. 

It was such an interesting game and i was left playing more of the game just wondering where the hell the story would go next

The game did not sell enough to have a sequel created

Others were simply just removed entirely from Steam 

Games such as Cryostasis: Sleep of reason

Which was an intersting and creepy game 

Can't buy the game anymore from any place

Also "The void"

Which required you to "draw" at your enemy in order to defeat them 

Really surreal and odd game, but still kinda "beautiful" in it's own way (if you look past the slight nudity in the game)

An intersting experience, but you're not able to buy it anywhere anymore 

And lastly Hellgate London

Might not have been the perfect mmorpg, but the setting was unique and the gameplay reminded me of the loot gameplay of Diablo 

I had fun times playing these games (Except The void, havent started playing that)

Viscera Cleanup Detail needs more love. Instead of making the mess in a sci-fi type game, you're the one cleaning it up.

RAGE

Yeah, the ending was anticlimactic and it was quite linear, but what do you expect from ID? They aren't masters of storytelling. They're THE master of great games... without much story. (Ever gotten a chance to see the "Doom Bible" that was discarded and later used in bits for ROTT?)

But I fucking LOVE this game. It looks great, even still, and the mechanics are great. (I'm ignoring that the multiplayer was essentially just racing. In my eyes, there is no multiplayer)

The entire Brother's in Arms Series. A true military shooter that never got the attention it really deserved and ultimately ended in a humiliating demise.

Such a shame.

Alexander452 likes this

Valkyrie profile 2.... Valkyrie profile is a bit of a cult classic, but I rarely hear people compliment 2 instead of the original. The original is a fine game but I think 2 really is a case where making it 3d improved it in every way.

likewise, lufia and the fortress of doom. People adore lufia 2, and it's obvious why. It had 'limit breaks' before ff7, it had tameable monster things, it had an extremely extensive side-game via the ancient cave, who some people played even more than the base game (despite playing the base game their money's worth to begin with)...But 1 had much better balance in the campaign... 2 was drop dead @#%%#@ing easy after you beat Gades, which if you don't know, isn't terribly far in the game, unlike what the calamity that the DS remake would have you believe.... oh god that remake was an insult. Had to wait over a decade for lufia to return, and THAT is what they came up with? fuck.

the White Knight chronicles Series one of my favourite and most underrated JRPGS out there 

Yeah the first game was your traditional the princess has been kidnapped take this magical power of a knight and go rescues Her but I ended up loving the story and the characters 

And the fact that you create yourself and be in the adventure was just awesome though I do wish you had more to do as your own character was nothing more than a background character which did urk me a little 

lastly yes there were lots of bugs and horrible design choices but I still loved it and it deserves more praise than it gets 

I highly recommend giving this a go on PS3 if you can find a copy of them you may just be pleasantly surprised 

P.S the opening Intro song for the second game is amazing

Lords of The Fallen comes to mind. Not so much underrated as it is an absolute crap shoot if the game works properly or not it seems. I don't necessarily blame the developers though, considering it was really their first attempt at a Souls-like game. And when the game's working, it's a damn solid Souls-like. I certainly had a lot more positive things to say about it than Dark Souls 2, like how enemies only drop enemy gear once so your inventory isn't cluttered up with a million pairs of identical pants, the level design was well thought out, combat was nice and weighty, and the armour design was very good, especially if you're a Warcraft fan.

Again, the game is rough and pretty buggy at times though. And runs like shit in PC apparently (Although I'm pretty sure that's because of that Denuvo DRM shit). But definitely worth picking up with you love the Souls games and want to see what other developers can come with when inspired by From. And I'm keeping a close eye on Deck 13's next game The Surge, and Lords of The Fallen 2.

Lords-of-the-Fallen-Cover-Art-revealed-5-822x1024.jpg

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 is the only one I can think of. The original wasn't very good at all and was buggy as sin, but the sequel improved certain aspects and fixed a lot of the issues the first one had (except for several A.I. issues, those are still present). 

Sniper GW2.jpg

this one is actually kinda recent, Minecraft Story Mode, I was kinda surprised this game got the reception it did, i thought telltale actually did a pretty creative job making the story and the world, plus it was lighthearted, charming and funny, which you dont see in a lot of triple A games now adays.

I think I've mentioned before that Remember Me form Life is Strange Dontnod is underrated:

Remember_Me_%28Capcom_game_-_cover_art%2

on top of that I'd have to say Primal

Primal_NTCS_cover.JPG

Genji: Dawn of the Samurai

Genji_-_Dawn_of_the_Samurai_Coverart.png

A topic was just posted about Kingdom Under Fire II which I'm sure would be getting the credit it deserves if they would just bother to release the damn thing in the west!

I was a big fan of Too Human when it came out. Me and buddies played it for hours on end. It was a bit repetitive, but the setting and gameplay gave it an identity of its own.

Too human cover.jpg

Dragon Age 2.  

Everybody seems to complain about the story, but honestly I think it was well done.  It was harder to make decisions and even harder to make everybody come out alive (I just couldn't get Fenris to like me and he ended up dying, Sebastian Vael left on bad terms because I refused to (this section has been censored by the Spoiler Fairy), and Isabela ran away).  Heck, what I really liked about the story was how you got to see things develop and eventually spiral out of control; the templars started lobotomizing innocent mages because more and more were turning to blood magic or running away, and mages were turning to blood magic and running away because their friends were being lobotomized and they didn't want to suffer the same fate, and it all became a vicious cycle that blew up in everyone's faces.

I really liked it.  Taking out the grand traveling the countryside-feel and keeping the story in one location over several years helped it out more than it hurt it.  Still, I'll never forgive them for redesigning the Darkspawn and taking out everything that was scary and intimidating about them (Ogres notwithstanding), but that's a personal nitpick.

The DA story was decent but I was never too thrilled with the fact you enter an area, kill something & had to leave for a respawn... Some of the best games in my eyes would have to be Borderlands:  The Handsome Collection, Halo, Mass Effect & GTA online... anything open world and/or with great character customization is a must have for me personally. :D

1 hour ago, hanzfahd said:

The DA story was decent but I was never too thrilled with the fact you enter an area, kill something & had to leave for a respawn... Some of the best games in my eyes would have to be Borderlands:  The Handsome Collection, Halo, Mass Effect & GTA online... anything open world and/or with great character customization is a must have for me personally. :D

Except none of those are underrated games.

I'd have to say two worlds 2 and too human, though I've heard tw2 is getting a new engine and more dlc so maybe that invalidates my choice :/

bloodrayne.jpg

Sure, the platforming is crap and the game could of really benefited from having a crouch button, the combat was still a lot of fun. Probably will go back to this someday.

d6aa5a642d240a06bea64212451310ec.png?v=2

Actually, this would apply to the all of the X games on ps1, even 6. I just enjoyed 5 a bit more. Before I use to hear that these games were terrible from some reviewers here and there, but back in the day, I couldn't get enough of them. I still think they hold up pretty strong now.

Oni_Coverart.jpg

This is one of my favorite games of all time. Seriously, It's like top 5 for me. Though the aiming is pretty bad and the levels are bland, the combat is just so much fun. The poor excuse of a ghost in the shell clone of a game storyline feels like perfect 90s anime drama. I can't get enough of this 7/10 at most hell of a game.

Kind of showing what kind of gamer I am. Willing to excuse a lot if the gameplay is fun.

I've recently tried "Laserlife" after seeing it on the Playstation Store. It's pretty nice game, and it's fairly simple to play. It's like Entwined has a baby with Guitar Hero, and dresses that baby up like Tron. 

Unfortunately, no one I know has seem to have heard of it.

armored-core-master-of-arena-ps1-cover-f

My Favorite games series EVER. I want new Armored Core series or at least Port AC:VD and AC:FA to PC could bring smile to my face. But sadly FromSoftware seems more focusing on their Souls / Borne games.

gundam-breaker-3-447077.13.jpg?o1jkyh

In this games you could creates or combine many parts of Gundam Plastic Model then ride it into the battle. The Customization is best part of this game. But this game only available only in Japan. But I heard that Gundam Breaker 3 have English subtitle option in it.

256px-Uawea-cover.jpg

From the makers of former-developers of Westwood Studio that brought us Command & Conquer. Each Faction have unique units, ability and plays differently. I used play but no one never mention it ever.

Yeah the combat in oni is fun, though throwing is pretty op in terms of ease of use and reliability, not power.

I remember one time trying to describe wanting oblivion to have deeper combat mechanics and people thoight it isnt possible in a 3rd person setting. Oni proved that wrong before batman or vindictus or whatever. Honestly I dont know why that isnt a priority for TES devs.