• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Raspharus

Rant on Microsoft and Quantum Break

14 posts in this topic

I didn't follow all of Quantum's Break news, but recently out of curiosity I went out there and searched some stuff on it. And apparently Microsoft is yet again(surprisingly?) trying to screw over people with their shananigans. Not only they've been pushing windows 10 on other people's throats like it's the second coming of Christ, but apparently they plan on slowly consolizing the PC. I don't mean to attack any console, but as we all know PC is all about freedom of choice and customization. So why the hell do you wanna dumb it down if it works properly? I kinda have an idea on what Microsoft is heading to, but I hope that this does not become the future. 

So, windows 10. While good, and nice on paper, in reality windows 10, and specifically the practices that it uses are very very shady and grey. First of all if you have the Home edition which most people have, where you are not able to stop updates. Playing a game and having some fun? well tough luck bud windows 10 wants to update so you better deal with it. Not to mention that the said updates can fuck up your entire system(which actually did happen to me). Next, directx 12. Why the fuck is this exclusive to windows 10? back when dx11 came up it was usable on systems ranging from vista to 8.1, and even 10, later when 10 was announced. Wanna play a new dx12 game on your brand new system, but you only have windows 7? well tough luck bud. I mean, I understand if they discontinue the dx support for older systems like XP or maybe even vista, but I mean c'mon 7? or 8? Maybe I don't wanna upgrade to 10, why do you force me to? This is not a console it's a goddamn PC, I should be able to do what I want to. I actually understand now, why valve went up and created vulkan, and why it doesn't agree with the implementation of dx12. V

This goes without saying that windows 10 collects all sort of data, so who knows who is watching you.

Moreover they try to force people to install windows 10. I've been seeing threads on reddit and neogaf with people that had windows 10 being downloaded in the background without their permission, and that when they restarted the PC, windows was already upgrading! I mean c'mon. 

Not to mention UWA(universal windows apps). I think that what Microsoft meant by trying to do a universal cross play, which they did announce was in fact a mere scheme in order to promote their new "games for windows live-like" bullshit, which is the windows store. Games for windows live finally died because people didn't use it. Apparently microsoft wanted to force people to use their shit since a long time ago. Wanna play with your console friends? Too bad, you bought the game from steam, no dice buddy. The windows store, I wouldn't mind it, if it wasn't fucking retarded and full of mobile crap. The ROTTR on windows store was dumbed down as hell, without the graphical tweaks and the options that the steam version had. Why? Why are you doing this? And now Quantum break comes up, and they do even more stupid shit. Windows 10 store exclusive. Are you shitting me? People may think that maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, because let's be honest, companies like EA(origin) or even Ubi(uplay) do this shit, but this is different... this is a windows 10 exclusive... why though? are 7/8/8.1 obsolete? no. Is this a console? No. Why then are you limiting people? People choose PC for a reason. 

They tried to do this shit with the xbone. Locking things down even further. People spoke against it, and now they did a 180. But doing this on PC? Damn, they must have some balls. But you see, by doing it bit by bit, without others noticing, first time with free windows 10 updates, then windows store, then exclusive content, maybe the fools won't realize? WRONG

And what the hell is with the system requirements on this game? Last time I checked it wasn't the next crysis, and judging by the fact that it runs on the Xbox one, which is not that powerful compared to a 800 dollar pc, it shouldn't even need that amount of hardware. Why did they even port it to PC? I think that if this game was xbone exclusive it would've been much much better, since it's a game designed for a console. Cinematic action. Movie like. What is this shit? These are video games not fucking movies! Last time someone tried to pull up shit like this was with The order 1886, which was a cinematic piece of shit. No one cares about cinematography when it comes to games. Games are games, they do have some cutscenes and a story but they are games. This goes without mentioning that the game is barely 8 hours long, 60 dollars price tag, this is already besides the point.

I get the feeling that what Microsoft is trying to achieve consists of creating this common platform with PC's and consoles and mobile/tablets, where you have a store which has both apps and games(exclusive to windows store). By using this platform, the windows store you can also get access to cross play and xbox streaming(and app which was dead on arrival), pairing with  your phone, or god knows what other shit. Basically limitation. I get the feeling that this is related to what microsoft wanted to do with the xbox one and television/background apps/anything but games when it first came up. And we all know how well that ended.

hqdefault.jpg   

Edit: I even forgot to mention that if you change your hardware your copy of windows 10 is done for, and you have to buy a new one. So windows 10 is free, but not that free in the end.

Velocirapter likes this

How are people having problems with these Windows 10 updates? I barely even notice my Windows updating and when it does, it does it when I'm turning off the PC. I get notifications that a Win10 update is up and that it wants to install it, but I can postpone or cancel it any time. Then when I'm turning the PC off, it does the update which I don't mind personally mind, but it never interrupted me. 

But everything else...yeah. Though tbh, I stopped playing triple A titles for almost like a year now. Last 2 or 3 triple A titles I played were Fallout 4, Witcher 3 Wild Hunt and Alien Isolation for a bit. All games ran perfectly fine, except Fallout 4 but it was playable. I have like a shitty build with 4gig RAM, a AMD GPU which is no longer supported so I won't be getting any new drivers so I can pretty much give up on triple A titles that boast on graphics, however I still get to play shit ton of games. Okay I admit, I play fucking League of Legends as my main game, I plan to play Overwatch on release which isn't demanding and few more non-demanding games that I can guarantee run better than other 80% bullshit triple A titles that demand overkill hardware which look like UTTER FUCKING CRAP ANYWAY!

Dragon Age Inqusition demanded a minimum of 6 or 8 gigs, I played it pretty fine on 4. Only thing I had problems with was sttutering from time to time, but for me personally, that game looked like garbage. Landscapes were undetailed, textures were mostly crap except on faces and pretty much everything about that game was absoulutely mediocre and the game ran like shit and it fucking dares to demand 8 gigs? You fuckin serious? I played Witcher 3 on medium-high graphics on 4gig with almost 60 fucking FPS and it looked better than Dragon's Bullshit Inqusition.

If companies wanna make demanding games then at least fucking deserve it and make your game look good and I won't complain, but holy shit, don't demand 8 or more gigs on a game that looks like it's from 2012. For people with highend hardware who want 60FPS, give them the fucking 60 FPS and stop locking at 30 for some "movie experience". Like holy crap, wow.

Most of what you said is no longer a problem or completely irrelevant.

Pretty much everybody knew that if Quantum Break was ever going to come to PC, it will be through Windows 10. Microsoft owned the IP.

The update system pretty much now is unintrusive at best. I have Windows 10 Home and now the OS will refuse to install updates without your permission. So that whole "it downloads while you are playing" is debunked. Fuck, every time it attempts to install automatically, it fails and it just let me do it manually. It's how I ran my rig back when I had 7.

You are not forced to use Windows 10 and DX12, DX11 will most likely still be supported for years to come.

FALSE: Valve did not create Vulkan API, the Khronos Group did. Also, remember that Vulkan has multiple sponsors contributing to its development, one of them is Microsoft. 

https://www.khronos.org/members/contributors

The data mining thing, that's also in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 now, not to mention in Google, and multiple cellular phones. Fuck even cars have data mining in them.

OK  that forced Windows 10 download is uncalled for, but it was something Microsoft used since day one. And the workaround is simply go into Windows Update, delete and disable the Windows 10 upgrade, done. No more problem.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system

The Windows Store is in need of some serious fixing, since it's pretty much Windows 8 store. Microsoft has promised that they will put in some store fixes and patches like Gsync, SLI, VSync, and fullscreen next month, and the store is looking to get a serious overhaul this summer when the Redstone update combines both the Xbox One store and the Windows Store into a unified store system, so we'll just have to wait and see.

The UWP does support Cross Play for some games, and it's not going to affect Steam or Origin. Steam will still be around and working DX12 games that are Third Party will most likely choose to head to Steam. Ashes of the Singularity, Rise of the Tomb Raider (sort of), and Deus Ex Mankind Divided are prime examples. The UWP so far looks like it will only exclusively hold First Party games, which is a pretty small sum considering how much new releases Steam gets in a week. UWP is not going to destroy Steam or consolize PC, it's too small and PC gamers rather use Steam or GOG or even Origin.

Lastly, Quantum Break is a very strange case, the requirements are overblown and you can run it decent on a midrange system. It actually is in my opinion a decent port, better than the WinStore ROTTR and GoW:UE so it looks like it could be a step. I kind of want this to happen, I want them to improve on the UWP developments, and DX12 and definitely the Windows Store, because it means we see more Xbox One games come to PC. Everything else that's not Microsoft pushed will obviously go to Steam and others. Steam is not going away because of the walled UWP garden. But they need to improve, otherwise this will be a failure, and I do not wish for that to happen.

Twisted Chi, Kaz32 and Apex Spartan like this

...When I clicked on this thread I was kinda hoping for some feedback on whether or not the port of Quantum Break is playable on the PC or not, like if there are optimization issues and stuff.

DemonsColt likes this

1 minute ago, MadDemon64 said:

...When I clicked on this thread I was kinda hoping for some feedback on whether or not the port of Quantum Break is playable on the PC or not, like if there are optimization issues and stuff.

I own the game on PC, let me tell you some things.

First, please read the requirements on store, the game doesn't really need 16GB but unless you are 4K ready, you will NOT be able to max the game.

The port for me is...... decent. It runs fine on around 60FPS, and the game looks good, better than LA Noire but not "HOLY SHIT" good, only the in-engine cutscenes go there.

The game does suffer from some stuttering problems. Mostly because the game has trouble rendering and loading textures and the game starts up before it completes the loading. Luckily there is a workaround, after the cutscene of each and every level, I restart the checkpoint, and it irons out the texture loading, getting rid of most of the stuttering. The rest is either some texture failing to load or the game simply autosaving.

Some people do have some trouble on their end, so I cannot speak for everyone.

Overall, for me, the game runs fine, it looks fine. It's a decent port. Not Arkham Knight bad, but not Mad Max good either. My advice, check your PC specs, do your research and if it feels that you are ready, go ahead and purchase. The game itself is fun as hell, the time powers are damn good and the story is classic Sam Lake. (Sorry, huge Remedy fan)

System:

Intel i7-3820 4.0Ghz

MSI Nvidia GTX 970

8GB RAM

2TB HDD

NOTE: You better have damn good internet cause the TV Show is 4K Streamed and MOST LIKELY stutter.

I myself was expecting legit arguments against Windows 10 upon seeing this thread. But like others have mentioned, it's all negligible. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 less than 2 weeks ago and I have not had any issues. Plus Windows 7 is still there and bootable, if I feel the need to roll back and delete 10 I can...but I don't have a reason to do so at this time. I'm giving it a month and since I have had absolute ZERO problems with 10 I will probably end up deleting 7 to free up the space.

I also have no idea what this Windows Store is you speak of. So if Windows isn't throwing it in my face then I don't see the problem, but its my nature to ignore things that I don't have to look for. Take a step back, breath and realize it's not all a Microsoft conspiracy. Because believe me, once people realize "holy shit Windows 10 is aware"...it will be shunned and people will look elsewhere for their OS gaming, work and general use needs. Microsoft does not want that kind of backlash, they tried with the original Xbox One layout and it blew up in their face with extreme prejudice. If they start trying to do the same to PCs and Windows...you can expect an even worse public outcry that will cause them to revert and force another free of charge service as a way to try and apologize.

3 hours ago, DemonsColt said:

I own the game on PC, let me tell you some things.

First, please read the requirements on store, the game doesn't really need 16GB but unless you are 4K ready, you will NOT be able to max the game.

The port for me is...... decent. It runs fine on around 60FPS, and the game looks good, better than LA Noire but not "HOLY SHIT" good, only the in-engine cutscenes go there.

The game does suffer from some stuttering problems. Mostly because the game has trouble rendering and loading textures and the game starts up before it completes the loading. Luckily there is a workaround, after the cutscene of each and every level, I restart the checkpoint, and it irons out the texture loading, getting rid of most of the stuttering. The rest is either some texture failing to load or the game simply autosaving.

Some people do have some trouble on their end, so I cannot speak for everyone.

Overall, for me, the game runs fine, it looks fine. It's a decent port. Not Arkham Knight bad, but not Mad Max good either. My advice, check your PC specs, do your research and if it feels that you are ready, go ahead and purchase. The game itself is fun as hell, the time powers are damn good and the story is classic Sam Lake. (Sorry, huge Remedy fan)

System:

Intel i7-3820 4.0Ghz

MSI Nvidia GTX 970

8GB RAM

2TB HDD

NOTE: You better have damn good internet cause the TV Show is 4K Streamed and MOST LIKELY stutter.

Here is what I have: 

Intel i7-4720HQ 2.6 Ghz

Nvidia GTX 970m

12GB RAM

Think I can manage the game?  From what I have seen (mostly thanks to Game Debate) I might be able to run the game on high.  What do you think?

DemonsColt likes this

1 hour ago, Glaice said:

Yep, another thing you can use. Luckily the free year is about to end shortly, so users no longer have to use this workaround.

1 hour ago, MadDemon64 said:

Here is what I have: 

Intel i7-4720HQ 2.6 Ghz

Nvidia GTX 970m

12GB RAM

Think I can manage the game?  From what I have seen (mostly thanks to Game Debate) I might be able to run the game on high.  What do you think?

Shit, I haven't got in touch with laptop for a while. The CPU is ok, the RAM is fine (since I have 8GB and I'm running it on all High settings), the 970m from what I'm hearing is not as powerful as a actual 970, so it may be around Medium-High. If I were you, I would look and see, and if you want, you could wait for Remedy to release a patch on the texture rendering.

4 minutes ago, DemonsColt said:

Shit, I haven't got in touch with laptop for a while. The CPU is ok, the RAM is fine (since I have 8GB and I'm running it on all High settings), the 970m from what I'm hearing is not as powerful as a actual 970, so it may be around Medium-High. If I were you, I would look and see, and if you want, you could wait for Remedy to release a patch on the texture rendering.

Ok thanks.

22 hours ago, MadDemon64 said:

Here is what I have: 

Intel i7-4720HQ 2.6 Ghz

Nvidia GTX 970m

12GB RAM

DemonsColt messaged me just now and I replied this, but just as an extra assurance...

That spec is much higher than mine. I'm playing on medium - high and it runs really well, 60fps with minimal slowdown, but only when the awesome time distortion effect in the game go completely bonkers. So of course you can! Go nuts! 

Also I made a review of this game.

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/forums/topic/34116-quantum-break-review-oh-god-this-game-is-awesome/#comment-342707

In short, REALLY damn good game. 

DemonsColt likes this

5 minutes ago, Kaz32 said:

DemonsColt messaged me just now and I replied this, but just as an extra assurance...

That spec is much higher than mine. I'm playing on medium - high and it runs really well, 60fps with minimal slowdown, but only when the awesome time distortion effect in the game go completely bonkers. So of course you can! Go nuts! 

Also I made a review of this game.

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/forums/topic/34116-quantum-break-review-oh-god-this-game-is-awesome/#comment-342707

In short, REALLY damn good game. 

Thanks man, really appreciate it.

DemonsColt and Kaz32 like this

17 minutes ago, MadDemon64 said:

Thanks man, really appreciate it.

No problemo. Enjoy the game, and prepare to get your thinking cap on, because this game will make you think hard about time travel and it's concequences. In an awesome way.

1 minute ago, Kaz32 said:

No problemo. Enjoy the game, and prepare to get your thinking cap on, because this game will make you think hard about time travel and it's concequences. In an awesome way.

Yeah the choice system, and story is impressive. Just get some snacks when you get to the TV show bit. :P