• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

PlasticFrogCG

Could DOOM possibly be everything we're hoping for?

91 posts in this topic

The early reviews for the DOOM multiplayer beta are starting to roll in and so far the biggest "complaint" I've heard is that it's too much like Unreal Tournament.

Considering I think Unreal Tournament was one of the best multiplayer games ever made I take that to mean this game is going to be ******* AWESOME!

I am soooo tired of CoD, Battlefield and Halo clones, it's about time we kicked it old school and reminded gamers of their roots.

Could I be wrong?

Freereapergaming likes this

No I've loved what I've seen and can't wait for the game to come out I want to experience ripping demons to shreds ASAP.

I think there is a lot of good multiplayer shooters out there now, it's just about personal opinion and what you like. The fact that DOOM multiplayer is going to be like Unreal Tournament makes DOOM a Unreal Tournament clone too then, right? :P

After all, EPIC GAMES are working on new UT and it's free to play and can be played right now, tho it's in early alpha stages. I'm more interested in the SP than Multiplayer segment of DOOM anyway. Personally I don't care about the MP in that game and I'm hoping the SP segment will be really good and what I'm hoping for.

It's too early to say if DOOM will be everything we are hoping for. Every game today should be taken with a grain of salt. It's what other companies have taught us. 

18 minutes ago, Glaice said:

That is one expensive Season Pass.

Crazycrab likes this

1 hour ago, Glaice said:

1 hour ago, Mr_E_Meatshield said:

That is one expensive Season Pass.

Especially when it just seems to be multiplayer maps, skins and weapons.  I might have been fine with it was a that plus a couple of story expansions and game modes but no, I don't give a shit about multiplayer!

13 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Especially when it just seems to be multiplayer maps, skins and weapons.  I might have been fine with it was a that plus a couple of story expansions and game modes but no, I don't give a shit about multiplayer!

You and me both.

After the beta honestly, rental. Of course originally before the announcement I wanted something similar to Doom 3 which a number of fans of the series disliked. But we will see how well the game does and whether folks fork out the cash for another overly expensive season pass. 

6 hours ago, Glaice said:

I dont know what I expected. Why did I think Bethesda and id wouldnt try to pull this shit with Doom? Why?

OT: I've been hearing the opposite OP. The fact that its like UT/Doom arena shooter of old is a huge plus but, what detracts from it are the dumbass hack module shit or progression system, basically the stuff that mimics modern mp mechanics. Could Doom be everything were hoping for? Maybe, just maybe but, I dont know.... lol.

freeeza21 likes this

it could very well be everything we weren't hoping for

Raspharus likes this

I always keep my expectacion to low on this. I just only hope that Single Player is good.

I play Doom for Single Player and sometimes Mods. I don't really care about Multiplayer. If I want go to Multiplayer, I prefer playing Unreal Tournament Instead.

PlasticFrogCG likes this

nope. i went from sceptical to depressed. Focus on MP (Doom was always a SP game), Season Pass with MP content only, The MP is kinda slow and weird, like they are trying mix UT with Quake, the modding tool is very limited and my negative points on SP are still there...I have no hopes for this game anymore.

Apex Spartan and Raspharus like this

I have a feeling this might become like Duke Nukem Forever. 

Also, every time someone is trying to bring back the old popular IPs, they actually end up being total garbage. Duke Nuken Forever, anyone? Specially if it's done by triple A companies, but some indie studios or Kickstartes actually do a better job of that.

Well it's too early to judge for DOOM, but yeah...we will see. I'm like 95% skeptical about it being any good. I suppose I could forgive them if the SP campaign will at least be really good. Also I don't get why companies with almost 0 reputation for good MP games, put so much focus on MP. When has Bethesda or ID developed a good multiplayer game? Okay fine, Q3A was developed by ID but that's the only MP game they did that was succesful if I'm not wrong. Now they are trying to make DOOM multiplayer like a mix of Q3A and UT, but they don't have any proper experience. Point is most MP that are big today and famous are because of the unlock features and adding some kind of a rewarding progress track, either competitive ladders/ranking or unlocks and shit. It adds some fun to it. Small arena sized games without any progression and ranking today aren't enough anymore, people always want some kind of competitive feeling to a game and they wanna be rewarded. It's one of the reasons so many people like MP. If DOOM MP won't have any of that, it will fall apart within a few months. I can already guarantee it. Playing the same maps and gun blazing for hours on end without any progression or competitive ladder will get boring.

Sometimes I have this feeling that some companies like this take a great SP focused IP, try to make a sequel but they know that MAYBE the singleplayer will be dissapointing so they try to add MP into the game to add some replayability and milk money out of people's pockets. It's like a bad attempt at adding some value to a game. I'm really hoping that's not the case here.

There is way too much talk about MP here than singleplayer and that's worrying. It's like they put more effort into the MP. I really hope they know they made a good campaign so they are just keeping it as a pleasent surpise. 

Beatmaster A.C. likes this

Focusing on mp or desperately trying to squeeze an unnecessary mp into a game is a common enough occurrence nowadays, which I think is really sad. Look at battlefront, first it was announced that it would have a sp campaign, now we are left with a co-op excuse of a single player, campaign being totally scrapped. Mass Effect, a really awesome single player series somehow felt it necessary to add a boring horde multiplayer mode. I like multiplayer, but I sometimes just need some single player time, especially wh n the game and story are amazing, and to see the trend going the other way is worrying me

PlasticFrogCG likes this

Did I miss some Doom games with great single player campaigns?  Because the ones I played were literally "Go from point A to point B and shoot whatever's in the way."  That was great in 90s when it was competing with SNES and Genesis games, but that shit doesn't hold up today.

I'm not counting Doom 3 there, since it obviously didn't fare well if they're needing to re-reboot the series.

21 hours ago, Apex Spartan said:

I have a feeling this might become like Duke Nukem Forever. 

As in infamous and shit right? Well, since Doom's 4 announcement in 2008 I think, we heard almost nothing from id until Zenimax purchased them. After that, id said they were renewing Doom's development and that Bethesda would obviously be the new publisher. I would hardly compare that to Duke Nukem's development hell. Rest of post gave me a headache, moving on.

1 hour ago, Zieglobaz said:

Did I miss some Doom games with great single player campaigns?  Because the ones I played were literally "Go from point A to point B and shoot whatever's in the way."  That was great in 90s when it was competing with SNES and Genesis games, but that shit doesn't hold up today.

Well, you said you played them so no, it wouldnt seem you missed them.

1 hour ago, Zieglobaz said:

I'm not counting Doom 3 there, since it obviously didn't fare well if they're needing to re-reboot the series.

Actually Doom 3 was a both a critical and commercial success and Id's most successful game at the time. And they dont need to reboot the franchise, they are just doing it with the new Doom. Much like Doom 3 was a reboot itself which wasnt completely necessary.

43 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Rest of post gave me a headache, moving on.

Aw that's too bad. Get some aspirin.

Also I wasn't talking about development of Duke Nukem or DOOM or anything, I was talking about the product itself being absoulute shit and I have the legitmate right to think MAYBE it will be so with the new DOOM. I don't give a fuck how it was made and for how long, I'm talking about the final product itself. Read the post again before being a total ass.

52 minutes ago, Apex Spartan said:

Also I wasn't talking about development of Duke Nukem or DOOM or anything, I was talking about the product itself being absoulute shit and I have the legitmate right to think MAYBE it will be so with the new DOOM. I don't give a fuck how it was made and for how long, I'm talking about the final product itself. Read the post again before being a total ass.

Certainly, an interesting choice of a title to use as your shit game example. It seems it couldve been any other absolute shit game, literally, but it was Duke Nukem? Fine. In any event, yes you have every right to think what you think of course. Though, some would question your reasoning as to why you think Doom might be shit. Not me though, its not what im doing here. For all I care, you can dislike everything about Doom for whatever reason you want if you wish. And finally no, I dont need to read your post again, I got what you were saying.

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

As in infamous and shit right?

See?

29 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Certainly, an interesting choice of a title to use as your shit game example. It seems it couldve been any other absolute shit game, literally, but it was Duke Nukem? Fine. In any event, yes you have every right to think what you think of course. Though, some would question your reasoning as to why you think Doom might be shit. Not me though, its not what im doing here. For all I care, you can dislike everything about Doom for whatever reason you want if you wish. And finally no, I dont need to read your post again, I got what you were saying.

See?

My whole point was to use Duke Nukem Forever as one example. Do I know DOOM will be shit? No. Do I think it will be dissapointing? Maybe, but I do have my doubts about it, just like with every triple A game today. 80% of triple A titles don't deliver what they promise today, however I do have more hope in ID than most of them. I was talking about the MP segment of it, not DOOM itself entirely because there is so much info about the MP part of DOOM rather than SP. Does that mean anything bad? Not really, but I can always think whatever I want, but it doesn't mean I'm saying that will happen a 100%.

I already explained why DOOM might be "shit", but I mean more of a dissapointment, but I didn't say it WILL be. Just that it might be. Such thinking saved me a lot of money honestly, but I'm hoping DOOM will be worth the money it will cost. That's all.

If they do fuck this up, id is off my list and I'll play the original 3 games.

I am looking forward to a new doom experience.

With today's graphic standards and what we saw in the E3 demo, (not played the beta mp) it looks good.

But after reading all this, im doubtful we will get a decent MP doom. SP campaign is awesome then i can forgive the MP being naff. But it needs replayablity other than MP grinding ranks/weapons etc. If it follows COD progression system i wont like that at all. But as far as being like UT?. It cant be like UT, UT is still the best way to play MP. Can it be as good as UT thou? I hope so.

but $45 for a season pass????!???? WTF!.

honestly who decides the prices of this crap, that's the price of the game itself: $49.99 or $59.99 for the game and then another $45 for the season pass?, What are they, HIGH?!

I almost pre ordered this, im glad i read this first. I am going to wait for a AJ review before i part money on this one.

BETHESDA and ID

YOU GONE FUCKED IT UP!

I am going to play some UT now, to make me feel better about MP gaming FPS style.

:D

On 4/8/2016 at 7:15 AM, Apex Spartan said:

Point is most MP that are big today and famous are because of the unlock features and adding some kind of a rewarding progress track, either competitive ladders/ranking or unlocks and shit. It adds some fun to it. Small arena sized games without any progression and ranking today aren't enough anymore, people always want some kind of competitive feeling to a game and they wanna be rewarded. It's one of the reasons so many people like MP.

That's exactly why I DON'T like a lot of multiplayer games nowadays. I grew up with LAN parties, where the object wasn't climbing a ladder or getting the unlocks, but actually sitting down with your friends and just having a good time. I can't stand the competitive emphasis that has been placed on games today. It should be about getting together, even remotely, and having fun. Not one-up-manship.

Don't think I don't understand that the ladders and unlocks provide a goal to work for together if you do have friends, I do. But the atmosphere is so full of toxic loaners only out to "prove they're the best" that I can't stand it.

Apex Spartan likes this

LOL mixed reviews on Steam..

45 bucks for a season pass is obviously bad enough. But the real salt in the wound is that both doom and UT are as big as they are because their free expandability were off the charts. Doom with its WADs, ut with its free scripting software and level editor and active community and make something unreal promotions...

This is completely in the opposite direction of what made them so successful.