• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ranisel

Favorite combat in a game?

19 posts in this topic

Hello. So I bought Bayonetta today, I've read so much positive feedback for the game's combat, how much depth It has and ETC. So I have a simple question, what makes the combat in a game enjoyable for you?

Me personally? I really loved the combat in DmC 5 despite all the negative fanboy feedback, the game was awesome, all the moves linked with eachother naturally with a splendid sense of momentum, a good variety of weapons whose moves link with eachother allowing you to combine them all. The moves looked flashy and cool as DMC moves are supposed to be, also the mobillity and control over the battlefied with the hooks, the Chakram's pulling move and the double jump + glide.

Also the Arkham City combat, I really like that one and I hate It when someone compares It to Assassins Creed combat, City is clearly superior in everyway just Batman has more animations than the whole AC franchise combined. Everytime I get the freeflow and start doing these incredible combos and linking them with Batman/Nightwing/Robing/Catwomans' gadgets was incredibly satisfying, I was just stunned at how much animations the characters had, like how when you finish a thug close to a wall you slam him at It but If It's not a whole wall but just a fence/banner they use It for a jump to finish them off.

-Note to moderators/administrators: I accidently posted this topic in ''Suggestions'' please delete It, the name Is '' Combat in Games ''

In terms of melee fighting I probably enjoyed Batman Arkham City and the Yakuza series the most. Batman for the reasons that you said and being able to combine it with stealth or fear causing effects and the Yakuza series just for all the entertaining special moves that you can do.

tumblr_nzgqkb7tOf1s82c3do1_400.gif

-Note to moderators/administrators: I accidently posted this topic in ''Suggestions'' please delete It, the name Is '' Combat in Games ''

Done

My personal preferences would be Metal Gear Rising. 

giphy.gif

Because this only game I know that can cut and slice manually. It's really Statisfying that you can cut enemies freely.

I have watched Joe's review on the game, but I've never touched any Metal Gear game so I was hesitant buying It, but after Bayonetta I'll look into It, thank you for your time. :)

My personal preferences would be Metal Gear Rising. 

Also a great game, enjoyed the combat more than Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Although it's a bit of a button spammy combat system that borrows heavily from other games like Assassin's Creed, it has some extremely entertaining skills and features that make it the most satisfying combat system out there, in my opinion.

Apex Spartan likes this

Devil May Cry. It may be the obvious choice, but it's the obvious choice for a reason. I thought primal was really good as well. I'm not actually that keen of the kind of combat you see in the Batman Arkhem games (Assassins Creed an Shadow of Mordor I count in that as well). I mean, it's fine, dynamic, empowering and fun, but it get's a bit repetitive.

Crazycrab likes this

37 minutes ago, VirexGaming said:

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Although it's a bit of a button spammy combat system that borrows heavily from other games like Assassin's Creed, it has some extremely entertaining skills and features that make it the most satisfying combat system out there, in my opinion.

You mean the broken easily exploitable stealth, the slow-mo headshot bow and infinity spammable counters/combat finishers all result in a challenging experience for those who have multiple counts of brain damage.......  Are you FUCKING SERIOUS!  The combat in SOM it terrible!

Shadow of Mordor is a game that really scares me, the fact that it got such a good reception seems to show that gamers want to have the methods for taking out their enemies literally spelled out for them.   They want broken stealth mechanics that let them get away with anything.  They want to use the same techniques over and over.  They want boring stories and characters that shit all over their own lore.  The want end boss battles that are 4-step quick time events.....

22 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

You mean the broken easily exploitable stealth, the slow-mo headshot bow and infinity spammable counters/combat finishers all result in a challenging experience for those who have multiple counts of brain damage.......  Are you FUCKING SERIOUS!  The combat in SOM it terrible!

Shadow of Mordor is a game that really scares me, the fact that it got such a good reception seems to show that gamers want to have the methods for taking out their enemies literally spelled out for them.   They want broken stealth mechanics that let them get away with anything.  They want to use the same techniques over and over.  They want boring stories and characters that shit all over their own lore.  The want end boss battles that are 4-step quick time events.....

I don't see what's wrong. People view combat in games differently. I personally don't care too much about difficulty in games because I just want fun combat and gameplay and difficulty isn't everything. For me it's not all about how hard it is, but it is also about how it's animated, how it looks and such things. Shadow of Mordor has some really good and if not best animations when it comes to killing and it fits the game so perfectly. Stabbing daggers through heads, hearts and stomachs of Orcs and all the little details with all the killmoves. It was a button mashing game but it's fun. It was brutal, bloody and satisfying to slay a 100 orcs at once and cut off their heads. 

Why does everyone think that a hard game/combat is what makes it good? What's more important is how it's all overly executed rather than just difficulty. You have some OP abilities in that game but I think that was the whole point, maybe they wanted you to play and have fun and feel like a fucking Wraith which you actually are. A man who can't die and gets back every time. He can move quickly and he can dash etc, he can read minds of his enemies and whatever else not. I don't think it was supposed to be super challanging. Also the boss mechanic in the game is REALLY good and something new, which gave it the good reputation. Gameplay in the game was really fun, but yeah I agree that the story and characters were garbage. 

As for exploitable stealth...so many games have that issue where stealth is either too easy or too hard. Metal Gear Solid 5, a game focused on stealth had some ridicilous stealth and tricking enemies was too easy and getting out of their sight sometimes. It felt like they were all retarded and your character was having fun with them.

I don't see what's wrong. People view combat in games differently. I personally don't care too much about difficulty in games because I just want fun combat and gameplay and difficulty isn't everything. For me it's not all about how hard it is, but it is also about how it's animated, how it looks and such things. Shadow of Mordor has some really good and if not best animations when it comes to killing and it fits the game so perfectly. Stabbing daggers through heads, hearts and stomachs of Orcs and all the little details with all the killmoves. It was a button mashing game but it's fun. It was brutal, bloody and satisfying to slay a 100 orcs at once and cut off their heads. 

Why does everyone think that a hard game/combat is what makes it good? What's more important is how it's all overly executed rather than just difficulty. You have some OP abilities in that game but I think that was the whole point, maybe they wanted you to play and have fun and feel like a fucking Wraith which you actually are. A man who can't die and gets back every time. He can move quickly and he can dash etc, he can read minds of his enemies and whatever else not. I don't think it was supposed to be super challanging. Also the boss mechanic in the game is REALLY good and something new, which gave it the good reputation. Gameplay in the game was really fun, but yeah I agree that the story and characters were garbage. 

As for exploitable stealth...so many games have that issue where stealth is either too easy or too hard. Metal Gear Solid 5, a game focused on stealth had some ridicilous stealth and tricking enemies was too easy and getting out of their sight sometimes. It felt like they were all retarded and your character was having fun with them.

Each to their own but when I saw the advertisements and promo material I was expecting and hoping for a struggle, one lone ranger up against the evil forces of Mordor with a meaningful original story that fit within the lore of Tolkin's writing and Peter Jackson's vision.  So when I played it to discover that you were an immortal god that could slice his way through entire armies while barely breaking a sweat, taking numerous liberties with the mythos that make absolutely no sense I was VERY fucking disappointed!

I won't deny that the presentation is superb and that some of the idea's like the nemesis system are ingenious.  For me the gameplay, story and challenge will always be more important than looks and it's and it's in these aspects were Shadow of Mordor fails completely.

I don't, in fact I have this exact same complaint about the Souls series.  But in this the "OP Abilities" are ridiculous!  There is one mechanic that allows you to poison the Orc's grog.  Now this would have been brilliant if it had some strategy to it, like if you had to scout the place to find out when they changed shifts and time it accordingly but no.  You poison the grog and then they immediately come running to indulge themselves which is the only time they interact with the stuff at all!  It's not only overpowered and requires no skill or thought but It makes absolutely no sense!  This is one tactic that is so stupid and easy that I purposefully banned myself from using it.

Please tell me you'r not talking about same end boss battle that I was,  most of the things we have discussed are debatable but there is no debating here. The endgame in Shadow of Mordor is complete and utter shit and you know it.

Your not seriously saying the AI in MGS5 is more exploitable and incompetent than SOM are you!  In SOM you could literally do this:

You probably think I'm kidding or at least exaggerating but I'm not!  You can literally sprint across an open field while they are staring straight at you and still kill Orc after Orc instantly by couching at the last moment!  I'm dead serious, start a new game (no runes added) and try it!  Then try the same thing in any of the MGS or Assassins Creed series (aside from Syndicate which copied the same bad system as SOM) or even an RPG like Witcher 3 or the Elder Scrolls and you will not get away with it.  It is completely fucked!

On 4/9/2016 at 9:12 PM, Crazycrab said:

You mean the broken easily exploitable stealth, the slow-mo headshot bow and infinity spammable counters/combat finishers all result in a challenging experience for those who have multiple counts of brain damage.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for summing it up for me!

No, but seriously, I just like decapitating orcs I suppose.

Hmm well if we are going by melee combat I would say Devil May Cry is my favorite. Now if it is vehicle combat I have a soft spot for the original Tie Fighter, loved that game.

Personally I enjoy Kingdom Hearts combat system (Main numbered titles, none of this side shit!)

I don't really know why, just kinda feels right to me and the world it's set in.

Wish I could explain why!

I can't believe I (and everyone so far) hasn't mentioned Dragon's Dogma, I feel slightly shamed. But yeah, the game had issues with the combat system tying in with the open world exploration and tying in the the leveling system, but the actual combat itself was incredible.

Labyrinth of touhou. Deepest turn based rpg combat mechanics ever. It allows for challenging trash as well as bosses, isnt neutered in depth by its own healing mechanics... That and it has amazing customization via having 12 characters in your party out of a pool of around 50... Characters who are very different from each other.

It also has a means of regenerating your mp with no consumeables, making it so you can use big spells for trash and not be gimp for the boss, whilr at the same time balanced so that mana efficiency is important to consider. Honestly I cant reccommend the game enough to fans of dungeon crawlers.

For action gaming, im a sucker for good old dark souls, it really makes the player consider movement more than your typical run towards, get out of range, strafe to dudge projectiles action game. Vindictus is close for bosses but truth be told the trash in that game is boring as fuck and just a big timesink.

My favorite combats are:

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen: A flexible class system and you can climb onto monsters.....sold.

Gods Eater Burst: It's hard for me to explain, but hey, you get a sword that turns into a giant gun.

Metal Gear Rising: Mechanical samurais and slicing dicing.....oh what the hell "Nanomachines Son! " 

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes: AKA over the top Japanese History 101.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep: No mana bar = more fun.

Toukiden Kiwami: Monster Hunter meets Japanese History.

Freedom Wars: As much as I find the story disappointing and loathed the rng system, but damn I love the combat.

Devil May Cry 1, 3, 4: self explanatory.

Lord of the Rings The Two Towers/Return of the King (PS2): Again, self explanatory

For Honor: Once it comes out.

I dunno, I still find the combat mechanics of Mount & Blade to be utterly hilarious; How I can make a 360 degree turn on a dime and insta-kill someone with a stab to the arm is beyond me... but apparently it increases my "speed bonus" so...

12lufn.jpg

I guess.

Throwing in a 2D game for the hell of it, the combat in Dust: an Elysian Tail is pretty damn fun. Sure, by the end of it all you're going to be doing is spamming the shit out of your greatest AoE attack but it's still fun even then.

Metal Gear Solid 5 was awesome in the combat department...or rather the "You never saw me coming" department ;)

But, I agree. Metal Gear Rising was awesome once I got the hang of it and Arkham City just really made me feel like I was Batman!

I'm not big on fighting games, but I always thought the Soul Calibur Series was really nice as well as Tekken and DOA. I'm still absolutely terrible at reading frames and can't get the timing down on the more powerful combos, but I've always found the basic moves much easier to pull off in those games.