• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

Is your taste in video games changing as you grow older?

23 posts in this topic

I really wanted to see what you all think on this subject.

So to give a quick summary, since I started playing video games, I was always into shooters, specially military shooters. It doesn't matter if it was multiplayer or singleplayer, but I really loved them all as long as it involved guns and as long as it was military themed. I loved games like Soldier of Fortune, Battlefield, Call of Duty, ARMA and few other of similar themes (many old ones too that I can't remember atm). Of course it didn't have to be military themed, but as long as it involved some serious FPS mechanics or it was a good shooting game in general then I loved it. There was lots of similar games I played when I was a kid like Duke Nukem, DOOM, Commander Keen and shit like that.

I also loved 3rd person shooters, basically anything that involved guns,blood and explosions. I don't what happened, but it all changed in around 2013...

Last FPS game I put lots of time in was Battlefield 3. I played for about 2 years and at release of BF4 I kind of lost interest due to horrible launch issues so I was kind of stuck on what to play. Friend of mine invited me to play League of Legends with him until BF4 was fixed and I was like "Dude I fucking hate that game, I played in season 2 and I left after 1h of gameplay" and he was like "Yea you probably sucked at it, but I'll help you now" and I said "Okay, let's do it."

Fine, I played the game, it was fun and eventually by some miracle I stayed there. I returned to BF4 few months later, but holy crap...I just couldn't play it anymore no matter what. Over time, I would take huge breaks from League in order to play something else, but every single FPS I played I got bored too quick and either never finished them or if they were online I would stop playing them completely after a few hours. I tried many other shooters later and games of similar nature but nah, just can't and I get super bored super quickly. Boom and then something happened, I got into MOBA genre and then I decided to do one thing:  MMORPGs.

I decided to get into Guild Wars 2, TERA and one more F2P MMORPG that was garbage. I loved GW2 and TERA was great for a F2P MMORPG. Let me remind you that I always found MMORPGs super boring and thought it was just a bunch of grind for good equipment, but then I found out it had a lot more to it. Then I got into 2 different genres that I always thought sucked total ass: Moba and MMORPGs. MMORPGs got me to play some other RPGs and then I got into RPG genres (fantasy themed mostly). Mind you, I always loved Fallout and Elder Scrolls before that, but that's it. 

Last really good FPS I played and still managed to enjoy was Metro Last Light and that's it. I can't imagine playing FPS anymore, unless it's seriously super unique. For example I'm keeping my eyes on Escape from Tarkov. Also I always hated fast paced shooters and the type like Team Fortress 2 and shit. I liked Quake 3 Arena and UT but that's about it, every new fast paced shooter later for me sucked ass and now I'm looking at Overwatch and can't fucking wait to play it. I'm super excited for it! If Overwatch was announced 2 or 3 years ago, I would look at the game and tell myself "Wow, what a pathetic childish looking game."

Now more the game looks silly and fast paced, the more I like it and 2-3 years ago I thought it was garbage. So I basically turned around COMPLETELY and I wonder if I'm just getting tired of games and my favorite genres are getting boring or I'm just changing as I'm getting older. Only type of Singleplayers games I enjoy now is like open world rich games (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Witcher 3 and some other), but that's about it. As long as it has a decent rich world and good RPG mechanics then I like it. When it comes to shooters now, more fast paced and sillier it is, the more I love it and I love MOBA genre, the genre I always thought was really bad, including MMORPGs.

Anyone have a similar experience like this? Like that you completely changed when it comes to your gaming tastes.  I mean personally I'm glad about this because it opened my eyes to other genres. I always used to judge all those games without playing them and based on feedback from others, instead of trying them out myself and I'm really glad I finally tried them.

Ris3OfLib3rty likes this

Not for me

Personally, yes. I grew up with nothing but Nintendo and PS2 throughout my childhood. As I'm getting older, and a bit wiser, I yearn for more games that contain both refreshing gameplay and story. I got tired seeing the same mascots over and over again and just wanted something new. That aside, we all go through certain phases in our life. First, we would worship something(whether it's a movie, book, game, etc.), but then a few years down the road, we see those things in a different way. Take for instance Pokémon. I would  worship the Pokémon games like no tomorrow, but around High school, I found them repetitive and boring. So, yeah, you're the only one.

Apex Spartan likes this

i notice now that im older  im more open minded when trying out new game genres and playing games my younger self would have never considered

The only thing I've noticed is that I became more cynical towards games. >.>

Edit: Although now that I think about it, that could be just because of the bad games we've been getting nowadays, not because of me growing older.

My tastes haven't really changed. I've become much less forgiving of anything that was added to a game only to increase the length of it and any gameplay element that just wastes your time. If Obsidian wasn't already one of my favorite developers them adding a fast forward button so you can fight easy battles faster and walk through areas you've already explored faster in Pillars of Eternity would have made them one of my favorites. That's likely more due to how cheap games have gotten and how easy it is to find good games now, with a huge backlog of games I don't like time being wasted so a developer can say that there game is longer in interviews.

I have moved out to other genres, but i can always go back to the shooter games

I've stopped playing some franchises and moved on to others over the years but I consider it moving along with times rather than change in my actual tastes.  I like the same type of games that I always have, story driven RPG's, 3rd person action, stealth and shooters.

The only genre or style I've kinda moved away from that I used to play allot is strategy but that's mostly because I wasn't on PC for a long time.

Apex Spartan likes this

No, not very much but like Dyz said, I am getting cynical of the industry and the practices being introduced.

I used to like Nintendo more but as of late their practices are keeping me away from them.

It actually did.

I stopped playing RTS completely and I used to play them quite a lot. I don't even check the news on the genre.

Also, I stopped playing anything that is not story driven or does not at least have a story to follow (never finished the Shadow of Mordor for instance because of that).

This also means that I don't play none of the MMO/Multiplayer games or rather, when I strat I get bored really quick.

The word 'shovelware' has been around for decades, for a very good reason. Recognizing and being careful about bad game is not something new, it's not a sign of you being cynical, it's a sign of you knowing shovelware exists, and wanting to avoid it, as countless other games did back in the 80s (when the term was invented, with very good reason).

Strangly enough, I find my 'tastes' in games is becomming more similar to that which I had when gaming was a new wonder to me rather than something I took for granted.. Not because I'm an edgelord or ahead of my time or any of that, but simply because fidelity and budget is no longer the defining factor of games after for some time, and there is now a variety experimenting what is the best method of approach . Now, more than ever, seems like it's easy for potential customers to identify a bad or game that doesn't suit one tastes than there ever was, so to answer the question, I find myself asking myself what I want, and what I expect more than before as a new gamer, but for a good reason, because asking thus actually provides myself with a means to narrowing the game selection down to what I like, rather than before when it was mostly guesswork. I don't think this as a flaw, fault, or unfortunate circumstance, but an example of something I cherish in modern gaming over what I'm used to. Nostalgia sunglasses are a thing, but current days do in fact offer something in return IMO.

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Maybe you just weren't willing to play them before and they've always been fun? I used to not enjoy Battlefield but then my brother picked up BF4 and told me I should get it so we could team up and it became a whole new experience. Role playing as a sniper team or being the chopper team. It was immense fun that I wasn't used to because I never gave it a fair shot. So who knows. I also grinded out days in Destiny, then played Fallout 4 and other rewarding games such as Dragon Age and I can't bring myself to playing Destiny ever again. You're not getting old, just extending your library. 

Same, when I was young I loved 1st person shooters, and military themed games and that WAS IT. I could not handle any game with too much story with it, like I could never play witcher 3 or elder scrolls games, but then my cousin told me about skyrim and I got the game and loved it so much I modded it spent 100s of hours on it. So then after me playing skyrim I got fallout 3, loved it just as much as skyrim, then I got fallout NV and then oblivion and then witcher 1,2 and 3 and I ended up loving story based games. But then last august of 2015 I joined the AJSA and the ajsa and angry joes reviews tought me to love all games. So then I became of guy who could appreate and play any kind of game, from battlefield bad company to skyrim to payday to life is strange. So I went from just likeing shooting military games to basicly loving all games because of the AJSA

For me personally, i think my gaming preferences have changed to a degree.

I now find myself enjoying FPS from which i never used to or cared for much when i was a younger gamer.

my NES was my first system, and i have always been partial to the platform sytle games, that all changed when i got FF7 on the PS1. Ever since then i am a RPG nut and love all things RPG.

That being said, that changed again when i got starcraft. I then have a found love for RTS games. I also got Colonization on my old pc and fell in love with turn based 4x games as well.

Pretty much stayed that way until i played the mass effect games, and now i am a massive sci-fi buff and love anything to do with space/aliens rts/fps or otherwise. I also love fantasy games, played wow for 9 years before i got bored of it, mainly due to all my friends leaving the game.

But now ill pretty much play anything, as long as it has good gameplay or if i die i dont rage quit and smash my controller (looking at you dark souls)

But right now, i love anything casual, i used to play on hard and hardest settings now i tend to play more causally i play for fun rather than achievement hunt, the only thing try to get achievements in now is diablo 3, caus its so easy to play, (no effort just click) i guess i now favour easy games over hard ones lol.

But i still love the challange of RTS games.

Apex Spartan and Warchief52 like this

Of course. Over time, certain games (like CoD) get boring, while others (like Halo) are restricted to shit platforms. This, coupled with my ADHD means that my tastes change biweekly on average. Right now I'm really liking Ratchet & Clank and playing BF4. Last week it was Fallout 4, before that it was Mad Max, Metro Redux and Wolfenstein TNO, which are all rather similar games concept wise explaining why I'm bored of them all now.

My own taste in video games has stayed unchanged for the most part. I still love and am the best at the genres I loved and was the best at back in earlier years. The repertoire has expanded ever so slightly, though, as I've played new games from genres I wasn't familiar with prior. I don't expect my taste in video games to change as much as I expect it to expand further.

I have this weird combination of "wanting to play games I never could before" (i.e. M rated games) and "wanting to play games that I missed when I was younger (e.g. Castlevania games made between Circle of the Moon and Lords of Shadow, Mario and Luigi games, etc.).

However I will never like grey-brown shooters, even though I still love imaginative FPS games (Wolfenstein, Bioshock, etc.) and the only fighting games I will ever truly love is the Super Smash Bros. series.

Apex Spartan likes this

i can say it has for me when i was younger i would play mostly codand minecraft and halo now since im older i play battlefeild stratgy games and gta5 

I wouldn't say my taste changed, but more or less matured. Back than I'd love certain games but as time goes on I still love those types of games... I just can finally understand what I would want from them.

On 4/27/2016 at 10:10 AM, WITHASTICK said:

I wouldn't say my taste changed, but more or less matured. Back than I'd love certain games but as time goes on I still love those types of games... I just can finally understand what I would want from them.

That first sentence had me thinking I was going to want to slap you =P

My taste hasn't exactly changed, more like it's expanded. I used to not even bother with anything that wasn't a military shooter, but the older I got the more I realized I love all genres of games. Now days I'm willing to try any game that peaks even a little bit of my interest and it's very rare that I find a game I can't enjoy.

Yes and no, I'd say. No because some of my favourite games are still first person shooters, but yes because I can't stomach the homogenised focus tested crap that gets farted out every year these days. I tend to demand something more than just iron sights, quick scopes, and faceless russians to kill. Good thing Doom and Shadow Warrior 2 come out this year. And there was a third FPS that looked really good but I can't remember what it was.... Arg, this is gonna drive me insane all day now.

I still love turn based Jrpg games like the latest legend of Heroes second chapter or even Grandia 2(one of the reason i got a Ps4 although i own a gaming Pc) but i gave up on the call of duty series and most games EA and Ubisoft release.