• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Every Month, a New Game.

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game to dive into every month! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ixnatifual

Stellaris - anyone else super excited?

21 posts in this topic

Really looking forward to hopefully spending lots of time with this 4X/grand strategy space game. It's similar to Master of Orion, but seems like it will have considerably more depth to it. You may have seen Joe's preview. If not, it's below.

There are also streams of the team playing the game (which they have also done for Hearts of Iron 4)

I'll probably be getting it. It's only $32 on Greenmangaming. The game even has three different ways for your species to handle space travel. Wonder if it will be getting frequent expansions and free additions like Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4.

I'm going to be trying to host a big group game of it the weekend after launch, but with my track record of event attendance, it likely won't be very big. 

Honestly, I haven't even checked it out yet, and I used to be desperate for a moo-like game.  But I got stardrive 2, and GalCiv3, but barely played either, despite what little I played of stardrive 2 I really liked it. I've been too busy binging on dungeon crawlers and my new consoles to really have the time to play em.

I watched more of their streams and preordered it.

HappyWulf likes this

Simply from how it helps handle your empire once it starts getting really big by having you only directly control 6 'core worlds' is genius and helps get more people into the wheeling and dealing of empire management.

Ixnatifual likes this

Heard a lot of positive things from early players and the game is now 25% off on Green Man Gaming.

I'm liking it so far, but I got kind of owned, so I'm starting a new game. An aggressive alien civilization had just a bit more fleet power than me, because I got greedy and focused too much on resource gathering over fleet strength. They managed to cripple me by being able to roam my space and take out all of my mining operations not protected by a space port. So I fell further and further behind in the fleet race.

I focused on making a race that would have good and quick learning leaders combined with an indirect democracy for better starting leaders (and cheaper ones). All start at three stars. Took a negative trait that makes planets harder to settle on but took Fantatic Xenophile to try to get alien races to help me out with settling, and took materialist for the bonuses.

Good advice/tips for the game here from someone who frequently talks about Paradox's games (click on the first post for a thread of information).

Edit: More tips

6 things I wish I'd known before starting Stellaris

First thing i learned while playing, colonize the shit out of systems ASAP. And avoid alien contact, when you are a materialist race, you don't want religious zealots at your doorstep early on. And at last, get em corvets going fast.

I'm glad I kept exploring in the far reaches of the galaxy. Found a big Gaia world near some very nice systems. The Gaia world apparently has a 100% habitability for any species, so I quickly colonized it.

Ancient likes this

Looks like they are going to be doing the free updates and frequent expansions that they do with their other titles. Just posted it in the news update, the article is here. They seem to know that the mid game is a problem, which is the part most of the reviews listed as a negative.

Spent a few hours at a friend's house and played it. I'm not a big fan of grand strategies since I'm really bad at them, but I got hooked on to this because I'm kind of a space junkie and I love everything space-releated.

I actually did really well in the game and made a race focused on militarism and technological advancement and when I met the first alien, they were nice. The 2nd race I met were some assholes who were acting superior and were saying some shit about me so I instantly chose "We will greet you in battle!" and the first thing I did, I instantly started invading their less protected systems and started expanding my territory and it was going well. I focused on army first thing so I had defense. I managed the army really well.

For my capital system and planet Unity, I made Unity Defense Force, that basically stayed near the planet and the other on the outer rim of the system. Soon after as I started to colonize other planets, I made 2 main sectors, one focused on defense and gaining resourced, while other was for military expansion. It worked pretty great and I showed those cocky bastards not to screw with me.

It was a lot of fun. I always like to focus on military in these kinda games and I don't like to play agressive, but I play as a rather peaceful race/nation, but I instantly invade and destroy anyone who insults me. It's super fun for me that way :P

It gives me a good excuse to show off my military supremacy and shit on anyone that I don't like hehe.

I'll probably buy the game. Had a blast!

I do the same. For example my current neighbour has several systems with planets I want very close to my border. If that isn't extremely insulting, I don't know what is!

Apex Spartan likes this

This game is increible... one of the best RTS i ever played, and the starting exploration feels excelent.

Keep a close look at the pre-spaceflight cultures, some very interesting things happen with them.

Iya1fXe.jpg

lYrtoLo.jpg

xRZkrxU.jpg

Someone knows if joe gona review it?

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Some of the events are so good in this game. I'm looking forward to the content they add and seeing how they plan to improve the mid game.

Just got into playing the game and having a lot of fun, granted I got lucky and had nearby systems with a TON of minerals. One planet with 9 on its own.

Stellaris has been a great addition to PDS's grand strategy series. I think it has been more easier to jump in compared to their other games but it still doesn't feel too simplified to get bored quickly.

Stellaris has already got numerous of patches and couple of extensions but more to come ...