• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

PlasticFrogCG

Fallout 4 - Survival Mode Observations

10 posts in this topic

Ok. Started a new Fallout 4 character on the new Survival difficulty. Run down of the experience so far:

1 - first, before I could even START a new game I had to disable all my mods just to get the stupid game to load. This is a bug because they all worked again once I was able to find a save point and reactivate them.

2 - speaking of saving...limited autosave and no quicksaving got old REAL fast. Now, keep in mind when I play normally I sometimes forget to save at all, and considering how many bugs there are in the game it was fortunate that the game had an autosave. While I like the idea of only being able to save by sleeping in a bed the game is faaaaaar too unstable to make this practical. Oh, did I mention I was KILLED BY TRYING TO SLEEP SO I COULD SAVE??? Fixed it by downloading a mod.

3 - no fast travel...I'm actually looking forward to working around this. Since this is a new character I haven't made it very far yet. but I think not being able to fast travel is going to force me to set up mini-bases at the various settlements. I'll definitely have to create market stalls so I can sell stuff. So far this promises to be the neatest challenge to work with.

4 - hunger, thirst, tiredness and disease...all features that I intentionally modded into Skyrim and other Fallout games. The only problem I have is that while the effects they have on you are great (not regenerating health and action points as quickly, difficulty aiming/lockpicking, etc.) they come on you way to quick. I drank two purified waters until it said I was properly hydrated and ten minutes later I was thirsty again. Will have to find or request a mod to adjust those values.

5 - no console...the command is locked out so you can't access it. normally this is fine, half the time I hit the stupid ` key while trying to hit 1 anyway. But...I have a crafting mod installed that allows you to place objects more precisely and make your settlements look much nicer (also helps get rid of those annoying corpses that won't de-spawn). It requires the console to work. Have to find a fix or my settlements are going to look boring again.

Beyond that I need a few more tests. The "no saving" was the biggest draw back, which I knew it would be. Like I said, Bethesda games are just far too unstable to make limited saving a practical feature.

Good thing these can all be fixed by mods .... Fucking bethesda

I think the Survival mode is overall good, but I really don't like the non-save feature, out of all of them, I think it's really dumb.

Not just because Bethesda games are buggy and I get like 1-2h of playing I get a random crash, but also other reasons...it's just not necessary. I'm hoping mods will fix that soon. There is a mod that came out where you open your PIP BOY and you can save from within it, you like get an item or something that you use and it saves the game.

But tbh, outside the need to drink and eat all the time, I really didn't super enjoy it. I found most of the things rather annoying than hard or immersive for the survival mode.

Its "Survival" its supposed to be incredibly hard and fustrating, i personally find there are A-LOT of beds and sleeping bags everywhere, seriously, i dont share your opinion on quicksaving. It gets fustrating when you forget to sleep 1 hour to save your progress sure, but if you just look around for a bit you'll find plenty of save spots during and before the actual quest your possibly doing, even in the autometron dlc. Which is stupidly hard btw. Now, the eating, drinking ratio is quite... Fast, and i had various moments where i was like "shit shit shit" getting to the point where i couldn't even walk properly no more. But considering your in a post Apocaliptic world, i can see the necessity to constantly drink and eat considering climate, etc... Didn't take much out of the fun for me, i actually found it quite a experience each time i am suffering a effect on the most hostile place imaginable, and then go ape shit looking for food and water.

But on the F4 nexus there are numerous mods that "Fix" <_<:rolleyes: These conditions, including autosave, fast travel and what not, which basically makes the game casual again, with npc's doing more damage, and thats it. Which i suppose then defeats the purpose of actual survival, doesn't it?

A few mods that help you make the game less hard for you:

Autosave: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12889/?

Manual autosave: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12593/?

Fast travel: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11933/?

Console: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11834/?

If your running 1.5beta or anyhing similiar, i believe you need to go to your plugns.txt file in appdata/local/fallout 4 and put a * infront of your mod (NOT DLCS, ONLY MODS)
 ex: wasteland512.esp > *wasteland512.esp

I don't think the game is hard, but It's Bethesda and people often crash. Sleeping all the time, using it as save can get pretty boring. Honestly, removal of save from hardcore doesn't make sense, otherwise the whole gamemode itself is great. But yeah, thank god for the save mods.

1 hour ago, Ancient said:

Its "Survival" its supposed to be incredibly hard and fustrating, i personally find there are A-LOT of beds and sleeping bags everywhere, seriously, i dont share your opinion on quicksaving. It gets fustrating when you forget to sleep 1 hour to save your progress sure, but if you just look around for a bit you'll find plenty of save spots during and before the actual quest your possibly doing, even in the autometron dlc. Which is stupidly hard btw. Now, the eating, drinking ratio is quite... Fast, and i had various moments where i was like "shit shit shit" getting to the point where i couldn't even walk properly no more. But considering your in a post Apocaliptic world, i can see the necessity to constantly drink and eat considering climate, etc... Didn't take much out of the fun for me, i actually found it quite a experience each time i am suffering a effect on the most hostile place imaginable, and then go ape shit looking for food and water.

There's a difference between "frustrating" and "this is just ridiculous and unplayable".

Yes, there are beds everywhere. I noticed them even before I switched to survival because I was aware these changes were coming. Oh, and did I mention I died trying to sleep in a bed to save my game?

I was looking for a more challenging game, instead I personally found the supposed "challenges" to be major annoyances.

(By the way, I actually also downloaded a mod that made diseases even worse)

1 hour ago, PlasticFrogCG said:

There's a difference between "frustrating" and "this is just ridiculous and unplayable".

Yes, there are beds everywhere. I noticed them even before I switched to survival because I was aware these changes were coming. Oh, and did I mention I died trying to sleep in a bed to save my game?

I was looking for a more challenging game, instead I personally found the supposed "challenges" to be major annoyances.

(By the way, I actually also downloaded a mod that made diseases even worse)

It is unfortunate you died trying to sleep in a bed to save, perhaps you should've scavenged more early'r, to avoid dying. And i find it lamentfull you find the "challenges" annoyances, since i am quite enjoying my survival playtrough a lot despite the little setbacks, time consuming it may be.

Are you guys running the latest version? i am still using the 1.5 beta due to fear of it breaking everything as usual. :wacko:

On 5/5/2016 at 5:39 PM, Ancient said:

Are you guys running the latest version? i am still using the 1.5 beta due to fear of it breaking everything as usual. :wacko:

I've opted out of all betas, so I think I'm running the latest version. I'll admit if there is any major instabilities it's probably because of one of my mods, but I haven't noticed anything yet.

After playing a little further I've been really enjoying survival as well. I do think the limited save feature was poorly implemented still. It's not a bad idea, just poorly executed. I don't know, maybe adding the save feature to waiting in a chair could have loosened the restrictions without making them feel too easy.

In hindsight dying in bed may have been my fault. I was hungry and thirsty at the time, I didn't check to see if there were any diseases, and I tried sleeping for eight hours. It's more than possible I ended up thirsting to death in my sleep...although it they were really going for immersion you should be able to go at least three days without dying of thirst and about a week without food. Or maybe I was ambushed by raiders in my sleep? All I can say for sure is that it hasn't happened again.

I've been forcing myself NOT to abuse the quick save mod, in fact I think I should swap out the one I have for the more balanced one that uses up an adrenaline perk point to save. Fortunately after all this time playing I've learned to pick up on some of the games "tells" if it is going to crash  (sudden increase in load times, sudden drops in frame rate, etc.). So in short I've still been carefully picking and choosing my battles because I know I haven't saved in a while.

18 minutes ago, PlasticFrogCG said:

I've opted out of all betas, so I think I'm running the latest version. I'll admit if there is any major instabilities it's probably because of one of my mods, but I haven't noticed anything yet.

After playing a little further I've been really enjoying survival as well. I do think the limited save feature was poorly implemented still. It's not a bad idea, just poorly executed. I don't know, maybe adding the save feature to waiting in a chair could have loosened the restrictions without making them feel too easy.

In hindsight dying in bed may have been my fault. I was hungry and thirsty at the time, I didn't check to see if there were any diseases, and I tried sleeping for eight hours. It's more than possible I ended up thirsting to death in my sleep...although it they were really going for immersion you should be able to go at least three days without dying of thirst and about a week without food. Or maybe I was ambushed by raiders in my sleep? All I can say for sure is that it hasn't happened again.

I've been forcing myself NOT to abuse the quick save mod, in fact I think I should swap out the one I have for the more balanced one that uses up an adrenaline perk point to save. Fortunately after all this time playing I've learned to pick up on some of the games "tells" if it is going to crash  (sudden increase in load times, sudden drops in frame rate, etc.). So in short I've still been carefully picking and choosing my battles because I know I haven't saved in a while.

I guess Bethesda's view of post apocalyptic world is a bit more strickt, rightfully so maybe.

Try and unlock you framerate and running the game on "borderless window mode". I super rarely get crashes with my potato. So maybe that'll help you if you aren't already using those settings.

You might also want to disable intro movies and what not. people have said it causes problems like black screen and stuff. Do the following:

add under [general]

in Fallout4.ini

sIntroMovie=
sMainMenuMovieIntro=
SIntroSequence=0
fChancesToPlayAlternateIntro=0
uMainMenuDelayBeforeAllowSkip=0

in Fallout4Prefs.ini

SIntroSequence=0

Nintendo Entertainment System, also known as NES Console. Now there are multiple NES Emulators out there in the market for nostalgic gamer. People want to buy best nes emulator.
1- FCEUX
2- VirtuaNES
3- Nestopia UE
4- JNES
These are top 4 best nes emulators. You can read the features, pro and cons. of each Emulator Then decide which one you like to use.