• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stolar

[Poll] Chatbox on AJSA forums.

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a chatbox on AJSA forum?

• Yes, a general one.
    • Yes, but one restricted to proven members.
    • Yes, one in every game subforum for easy matchmaking.
    • No, that is a bad idea.
    • IRC channel is the best way to go.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 posts in this topic

A few threads have appeared already with some ideas regarding this particular suggestion. I figured it would be best to gather it up, put in one post and have you vote ;) You can also vote for multiple options. I'll try to edit this post and poll with any concerns you voice both in this thread and elsewhere. A quick summary of each of the options:

1) A general chatbox on the main site of the forum. Many raised concern that with this many mebers it would get flooded, and without proper supervision spam and abuse would ensue.

2) A general chatbox restricted to proven members of the community. This option would limit the amount of posts and the possibility to abuse, but also cut some users off, of course. Sergeant up is my proposition for limitation. Another suggestion is a chatbox for administration only.

3) One in every online game subforum. This would limit the amount of posts/minute, and allow easy finding of partners for a game, but would make it difficult to supervise (simply because of the number of chatboxes) and leave no protection against abuse.

4) Self explanatory. No chatbox - no problem. Also, we already have teamspeak server up, that should suffice.

5) IRC channel would be best. Handles large groups well, easy to moderate, and with a few browser based clients also doesn't require downloading anything.

I personally don't think we should have a chatbox, unless its restricted to either, "proven members", whatever that would mean according to the Council. I'm leaning towards having it restricted to council members and administrators, so they can easily notify the community in the case of say, AngryBot or one of the BF4 servers going down for emergency maintenance or something like that.

A chatbox would certainly help the community. But it should also be restricted, to prevent spam

Bensora likes this

It'd be a waste of bandwith. Now an IRC server would be awesome and I'd be all over that. 

Eric likes this

I think its as good idea, but I think it should be  kind of restricted, for only members who have proven themselves, maybe to be part of the community for a week, so that we now you are not going to spam.

I'm between no and having it restricted. I used to be an Admin for a RolePlay site and the moment we added a chatbox, users started to abuse and troll people that it got out of control and people that were blocked by others could bypass the system and speak to those users that had blocked them. After that, we removed it a month later.

We have a teamspeak. So I would just use that. Saves on bandwidth for the forum and you may get to talk with Joe. So it's a win-win for me.

About the Oxyorum's propsition to make the chatbox administration only.

I think it's not the best way.  If a chatbox was limited to administration (and visible to others, the other case is not our concern), it would most certainly be used to quickly spread an important message. Then, most users would quickly abandon checking it because of rare events that this would be necessary, and it would stop serving it's role. Administration can post important threads with notifications going to everyone in the community, and that would immediately gather everyone's attention. If a post is not important enough to do that, anyone concerned would be able to find the information on their own in the forums anyway.

If you have some other ideas about this, please elaborate.

About the Oxyorum's propsition to make the chatbox administration only.

I think it's not the best way. If a chatbox was limited to administration (and visible to others, the other case is not our concern), it would most certainly be used to quickly spread an important message. Then, most users would quickly abandon checking it because of rare events that this would be necessary, and it would stop serving it's role. Administration can post important threads with notifications going to everyone in the community, and that would immediately gather everyone's attention. If a post is not important enough to do that, anyone concerned would be able to find the information on their own in the forums anyway.

If you have some other ideas about this, please elaborate.

You are absolutely right. I was just pointing out a potential use of the chatbox if we did implement one.

It could be useful but there has to be some restrictions.

It'd be a waste of bandwith. Now an IRC server would be awesome and I'd be all over that. 

Exactly this ^.

An IRC would be amazing and I would love to see this. 

muh niguh

An IRC server is a chat server. All you do is IM. There's a bunch of different client, some you download, a dew that are hosted on the internet. It's nice because you can idle in them 24/7 without using much bandwidth, and when a conversation starts a little noise can play or something. Plus they tend to evolve their own little sub-communities inside the greater community as you see and talk to the people on the server every day. Another plus is they handle large groups really well and they're really easy to moderate. You'd need literally one mod to check in every day or two to take care of trouble makers. 

I love the enthusiasm for chatting with your fellow soldiers but this is more than likely not going to happen as it would add even more overhead to managing this community. Right now we have our forums and TS, if in the future we decide to add more then there will be a huge announcement. Keep up the hard work and game on!