• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Mr_E_Meatshield

Overwatch Angry Review [RF]

26 posts in this topic

Admittedly, I'm somewhat surprised, even though I shouldn't be after looking back at Joe's track record with online only shooters. I guess this one just disappointed me because of how much I love Overwatch. Then again, who cares what I think. I like titanfall and rainbow six siege. Must be crazy not caring about a single player mode. 

I don't get the value talk. So the game have to be jammed pack with mode to justify it's price? Did that work well for battleborn? Is quality over quantity a crazy concept? Besides that, if the replay value is exhaustively high for something that apparently have "low content," wouldn't that amount of time spent actually match the asking price? 

I'm glad he posted the review on the game and while I mostly agree with him, there is some points he brings out that are debatable.

1. People let Overwatch "pass" on lack of singleplayer mostly because it was INSTANTLY revealed as a MP only shooter with no singleplayer campaign. Also it's not  Overwatch 2 or some sequel that previously did have a SP. It's a completley new game so people really had no base to argue that it should have a SP campaign besides just saying "this should have SP".

Battlefront 2 didn't easily pass because it lacked a campaign from the previous games. That's it. Destiny too because it does have a story or something but it's terribly written? I don't know, haven't played it.

2. Value of the game. While I do 10000% agree that the console price is overpriced and even $40 is very debateable at the game's current state, but the game will be recieving free updates, free heroes and free maps in future. So in a few months from now, the game will be worth it's $40 price at LEAST, but I can't say about the $60. I fully agree that sixty dollars is pretty much a rip off just for a few skins in other Blizzard games. I honestly don't give a shit if it's Blizzard or not because I'm not a Blizzard fanboy so I didn't buy the game because it's a Blizzard product, but because I simply liked the game.

3. He got nuts about LOOT boxes and it's EXACTLY why I tell E V E R Y O N E, the lootboxes are fucking FINE! Play the fucking game and unlock them, it's so easy. They are NOT even worth the fucking money because just like JOE, you might spend 20 dollars to buy 20 lootboxes and you get SHIT in all of them. Then you will cry, go to the Blizzard forums and cry what a rip off it is. PLAY THE GODDAMN GAME, grow some sacks and unlock them for free. It's a microtranscation that sucks ass and it's not even worth it. People are so head deep in that shit that's it's become annoying and they all think it's just unlockable by buying it and forget you can easily unlock by playing the game. I got 2 legendary skins till level 15 so if that doesn't tell you anything, then you are missing out. Gamers are such pussies today. If a game offers FREE content with an option to buy it, people will fucking whine you have to buy it INSTEAD of trying to unlock it. It's exactly what everyone is doing in OW. Some idiot will pay $50 on lootcrates hoping to get just ONE of the legendary skins I have, while I unlocked 2 of them in 2h of gameplay. Who is the loser here?

Outside of that, most of the things I agree with him. Game costs too much for it's current content.

I don't think the game got such a free pass at all honestly because when it was first announced, it was made fun of and constatly called a TF2 clone until people were allowed to PLAY IT, realized how good it is and then they shut the hell up.

I honestly think it doesn't lack that much content for the kind of game it is, I mean what kind of content would people want in a FPS? CS:GO and such games are bland as fuck, they are nothing but small maps with weapons in them and just shooting each other. I have a 1000 hours in CS:S and I enjoyed it. It's all about the gameplay. You can put tons of content, but if the base gameplay itself is shit, what's the point?

This game is getting really popular and loved and with it, but it brings haters who are trying to bash the game for no reason. Define me, "lack of content" in a arena based hero shooter. Future content is already planned so there is that. The only thing the game lacks is one or 2 more gamemodes at launch. It's a well polished game, very well optimized and so many other things. Of course people will find something to bitch at. Then just don't buy it, it's simple as that.

Glaice and TamaskanLEM like this

I don't agree with him at all. He praised League of Legends and that game has the SAME replay value as Overwatch just a different type of game so I do not get that. As for the pricing it is actually fine the game is not just pretty polished but its actually almost perfect everything works I have not run into one bug in my 20 hours or so of game play which is quite rare. Plus they are giving us free maps and new characters so what more can you ask for? Loot boxes are a freaking luxury they are not needed to play the game.

Quite honestly I am baffled at a 7/10 score this game is pretty much one of the top 5 games gunning for game of the year. 

Rain likes this

I haven't seen the review yet but the comments and reaction seem to confirm a lot that worried and ultimately put me off about this game.

Microtransactions in an online multilayer only FPS game for full price. Every time EA, Activision or any other publisher/developer does this people break out the pitch forks and start shouting, but now these same people reckon this game should get away with it?

This means one thing. Corporate has won. The defiance and demand from the gaming for games worth the price launch is lost. This is a sad day.

Ancient, Glaice, Ranisel and 1 other like this

So being a casual gamer I see all hype with out really playing many of these games so I offer opinions of an observer and not somebody that has played...

The game looks so shiny and pretty and it reminds me a little bit of Street Fighter with all the different characters that you can play with that all have their own unique "thing" about them. That looks pretty sweet to me. There may be other games that offer that but there hasn't been this much hype since Destiny was released or Titan Fall. 

This game does look great for a casual gamer because Joe hit it right on the head, everybody is on the same playing field. So if I'm only able to play 6 hours a week, I can still play ball with the pros it looks like and that is very appealing to me...but for 60$...sorry not yet when that $$ is going to be spent on one or two other games that I am loyal to like BF1. 

Apex Spartan likes this

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

Microtransactions in an online multilayer only FPS game for full price. Every time EA, Activision or any other publisher/developer does this people break out the pitch forks and start shouting, but now these same people reckon this game should get away with it?

This means one thing. Corporate has won. The defiance and demand from the gaming for games worth the price launch is lost. This is a sad day.

I'm supposed not buy and enjoy a game because it has microtransactions but for a full price? Overwatch isn't the first game to do so and it's not really getting away with it since many people are complaining mostly about that or the price, but people still enjoy the game. Also I don't find it annoying because I haven't and don't plan to buy their loot boxes, for the same reason Joe mentioned in the video. He wasted money and got crap in it. I played and got 10 lootboxes for far, 3-4 which were very worth for me. I paid 40 dollars for this and I'm enjoying the hell out of it and what can be "bought", I got for free and plan to get for free each time. Whoever complains about that can feel free to do it,but I feel it's mostly people who just wanna hate the game for no reason. Not to mention most of them didn't even bother to play it.

Almost 95% full priced games today have microtransactions if they are online and it's been like that for a while. All we can do is hope that they are managed well and if anyone here played this game, they would realize the microtransactions in OW aren't bad nor are they being thrown in your face.

Battlefield 3 and 4 had microtransactions so you buy full weapon upgrages and shit, but it stopped no one from loving the games or enjoying them. That was even worst because it could almost be P2W but it didn't bother people. I never supported that stuff because I have fun unlocking things by levelling and it motivates me to play.

My point is OW didn't get away from it, I'm saying its managed well and it's easily unlockable by playing. People who are too lazy to do that should't even bother trying out the game. I don't give a shit anymore, because so many games have microtransactions in them and you can "support" the companies by buying skins and what not. Most people complaining about OW didn't play it and then all they do is complain about the price or microtransactions without even knowing how it works OR those who did play it but disliked it just say it's not a good game for them which is fine.

Here is the kind of people who shittalk this game:

565541834ba44da19485944592fc6b7c.png

It's either "overhyped shit", "let people fap to this overhyped game" or comments like above which have mistakes...

1. This game wasn't getting any big praise because before it was not yet released for public, it was mostly expected to be shit and a clean TF2 clone. After it's release, people started to praise it for a reason. People enjoyed it. THE END!

2. "Or better yet should be free." No, because that would mean game would have heroes we would have to pay for, maps, skins and EVERYTHING individually probably. Game IS designed around having ALL heroes free for all so they can play it in peace and counter. The overpriced 40 dollar price allowed us to have it all for free.

3. Some people saying only Blizzard fans support this game. HA HA!

90% of League of Legends community and professional players have been playing this game since first closed betas and played this game in queue for LoL or outside of it when they had time. MANY other communities outside Blizzard enjoy this game.

4. There is a lot of "multiplayer fucking only" games that cost the full price and people don't complain about them. FPS MP have been SHIT in last several years, always being the same fucking miltary shooters we get every year: COD, Battlefield and that kind of shit

OW is a LOT different than any MP only shooter in last 5 or even more years, perhaps so since Tribes Ascend or TF2.

This game isn't getting away for free, in fact it's attracting lots of haters due to it's popularity. 90% of hate comments will be "Overwatch? More like Overhyped" Very original, very informative. Only legit hate this game gets is about it's price or microtransactions. Why do people have to even bitch about it?  Don't buy it and go away. Don't join any conversations about it and let it go. Millions of people enjoy this game and it's for a reason. If you can't find a reason to enjoy the game then don't look for reasons to bitch about it. I'm not talking to anyone here, but for people who just like to hate something that's popular. I can count 10 people alone in  this community who bought the game and love it. I bought it and I love it. Do microtranscations bother me? No, they are easily unlockable. if people are being stopped by microtransactions, then they are talking out of their ass because if that is what stops them from having fun in the game, then there is something wrong with the way they play games.

I'm not even gonna bother arguing with people who saying the game has no content for the price because they don't seem to know the meaning of "game will get new free content". That includes RANKED, which for MOST people who play FPS, play it for competitive and gives a HUGE play value for people like me or anyone else like that. People who hate this game are equally stupid who are fanboys of it and protect it like it's perfect, cauze it's not.

My whole point is, $40 isn't overpriced if you are into these games because of the content that we will get. End of my point. Also most people are happy with current content because what the fuck would I want in this game anymore? Flyable vehicles or the feature to have sex with the hot characters? I don't even know...

I got guns, I got 21 heroes, I got great gameplay, I got enough maps and 3 game modes. One more would be really nice, but as I said, ranked is coming and even more content in future. I'm happy and so are the millions or thousands of others who play it. What the hell do people expect from shooters to have these days?

People who wanna waste money on their shitty microtransactions, well I don't give a shit about them. IMO they are wasting money so let them if they have so much money to throw away.

If people are gonna call me a corporate bitch for buying a game I love then feel free to think or call me whatever you want. I wonder how many shitty games they bought. I don't plan to buy lootboxes because as I said in a 100 topics about this game, it's easily unlockable in game. If people can't comphend that, then I don't even know what to say. They shouldn't play the game.

I enjoy the hell out of this game, but I won't defend it brainlessly. It has it's faults, but much of the hate that comes for it, it comes out because people just don't want to like the game so they find the most obvious reasons to hate it. I bet 95% of them pay for mapacks in Call of Duty.

Point is, people have to deal with the fact that many players LOVE the gameplay, LOVE the characters and the playstyles they offer and they, like me, don't give a fuck about the "buyable lootboxes" and I find $40 a fine price. I paid $50 for that fucking MGS Phanton Pain and I thought it didn't even live up to 30/50 dollars because of it's repetitive missions and locations. It was shit but MANY people love it and I respect that so I don't complain about the game. For me it wasn't worth it, but I don't go around crying about it or telling why others should hate it.

Sorry for the long post, here is a heart potato

5.jpg

TamaskanLEM likes this

Something that i think should be noted for joe's review is that blizzard is writing comics and making videos to explain the games story and background with almost every character getting their own comic or video for you to learn more about them and how they came to be who they are. The comics are set to be released every season and will expand on the Overwatch universe at large.
Currently there is a comic out for Mcree, Junkrat, Roadhog, Torbjorn, Symmetra, Reinhardt, and Pharah. There is also a video out for Winston, Widowmaker, Soldier 76, Genji, and Hanzo. I am only counting the videos that actually give light on specific characters rather than naming the characters that just appear in those videos.

1 minute ago, ipuntmidgets said:

Something that i think should be noted for joe's review is that blizzard is writing comics and making videos to explain the games story and background with almost every character getting their own comic or video for you to learn more about them and how they came to be who they are. The comics are set to be released every season and will expand on the Overwatch universe at large.
Currently there is a comic out for Mcree, Junkrat, Roadhog, Torbjorn, Symmetra, Reinhardt, and Pharah. There is also a video out for Winston, Widowmaker, Soldier 76, Genji, and Hanzo. I am only counting the videos that actually give light on specific characters rather than naming the characters that just appear in those videos.

Yeah but comics or anything outside the game shouldn't impact the game's price or worth. I'm happy to know some lore behind the game and it's character's but let's be honest, for people who want a story or too much lore or play the game for that or only play games for their lore/story, shouldn't buy OW for that.

Just now, Apex Spartan said:

Yeah but comics or anything outside the game shouldn't impact the game's price or worth. I'm happy to know some lore behind the game and it's character's but let's be honest, for people who want a story or too much lore or play the game for that or only play games for their lore/story, shouldn't buy OW for that.

I know, but i noted that joe had mentioned a lack of story behind the game and if blizzard stays in line with keeping these stories up then this free content is something you can have without purchasing the game. You will be able to learn about the lore and world of overwatch without purchasing the game, which i think is a nice touch even if it is mostly for self promotion. 

Apex Spartan likes this

People had the chance to play for free during Beta, then you had time to decide if you really wanted to buy it or not. You bought it...great now you go and jump on the haters bandwagon and bash it for whatever reason when you know why you bought it, because it was fun. The overhype has quickly turned into anti-overhype, the game isn't bad yet all hell is breaking loose. I'm not talking about anyone here but in the general scope of things.

I refuse to watch the Rapid Fire reviews for my own reasons, but I have no sympathy for the people complaining and I do not agree with what is going on with Overwatch. It's fun, it wasn't a surprise so if you didn't want to spend the current price then you simply should't have. And this whole lack of SP argument is so ridiculous, the characters have a background and a story has been created yes...but that doesn't mean there has to be a whole campaign. A campaign doesn't belong in this kind of game, it would be so lack laster with the arena style combat. The message has been lost and people are so quick to judge, it's just sad.

1 hour ago, Rain said:

People had the chance to play for free during Beta, then you had time to decide if you really wanted to buy it or not. You bought it...great now you go and jump on the haters bandwagon and bash it for whatever reason when you know why you bought it, because it was fun. The overhype has quickly turned into anti-overhype, the game isn't bad yet all hell is breaking loose. I'm not talking about anyone here but in the general scope of things.

I refuse to watch the Rapid Fire reviews for my own reasons, but I have no sympathy for the people complaining and I do not agree with what is going on with Overwatch. It's fun, it wasn't a surprise so if you didn't want to spend the current price then you simply should't have. And this whole lack of SP argument is so ridiculous, the characters have a background and a story has been created yes...but that doesn't mean there has to be a whole campaign. A campaign doesn't belong in this kind of game, it would be so lack laster with the arena style combat. The message has been lost and people are so quick to judge, it's just sad.

Couldn't agree more. If we ever meet, remind me  to get you a beer.

Rain likes this

Ok, I've now got home and watched the review and read the comments from insane over the top white knight's and I've got allot to say.  I'm going to break it down but first state my position those who can't be bothered to read any further.  Suffice to say for now I agree with Joe which I often don't do when it comes to online FPS games.  A 7/10 is hardly a poor score so if you honestly think that the people who are being little more critical by not giving it 9's and 10's are just finding any excuse to shit on it or being immature then I think you need to give more thought to what your saying.  Ok, on we go.

I'm not going to say to much about the gamplay since I haven't played it myself but the reviews and general opinion in this particular aspect are consistent enough that I think all of us can give the benefit of the doubt and say.......  It is BRILLIANT!  A huge cast of unique designs, wide variety of abilities and all supported by fun visuals and comedic elements.  I can totally see why fans of competitive online team shooters MOBA's and even people who aren't will get dozens or even hundreds of hours of fun out of this.  No one is denying that, that is NOT what some people (like me) are being critical about so stop flooding your argument with the excuse "It's Fun" because that's not all that matters and I'm going to explain why as I go.

Here is the main thing that bothers me.  If you are enjoying this game like I did with Destiny that's fine but I won't deny the problems that it has had but I see so many defending this game with pure hypocrisy and I think Joe has noticed this to.  I use Destiny as a specific example here because just like Blizzard Bungie deveolped a whole interesting mythos but included so little of it in the actual game instead having it as free external media.  Naturally fans and haters alike jumped down their throats for it yet Blizzard get a free pass for this with Overwatch because.......  Well frankly have I have no fucking idea!

That's not the only example:

No Campaign

EA Battlefront - Criticized                        Overwatch - Defended

Some will argue that a campaign isn't needed but if you have a lore and spent so much time and effort creating these characters wouldn't a campaign or at least some PVE content to develop them be a good thing?

RNG Mirotransactions For Cosmentics

HALO 5 Guardians - Criticized                 Overwatch - Defended

Honestly the idea of buying cosmetic items in game doesn't bother me that much.  It's optional and it doesn't effect the balance of play, but WHY RNG LOOTCRATES!  At least give us the choice of buying the ones for the characters that we want!  There is literally only one incentive to do it like this and that is greed, end of story.

10 hours ago, Apex Spartan said:

I got 2 legendary skins till level 15 so if that doesn't tell you anything, then you are missing out. Gamers are such pussies today. If a game offers FREE content with an option to buy it, people will fucking whine you have to buy it INSTEAD of trying to unlock it. It's exactly what everyone is doing in OW. Some idiot will pay $50 on lootcrates hoping to get just ONE of the legendary skins I have, while I unlocked 2 of them in 2h of gameplay. Who is the loser here?

On a more specific note just because you happened to get lucky does not negate this issue, that is a bullshit argument my friend.

Lack of Game Modes at Launch

EVOLVE - Criticized                            Overwatch - Defended

It's 3 modes and one rotating Hybrid, never mind the thousands of other games that had more at launch I'm having a hard time think of a multiplayer game in recent times that had LESS!  This is so clearly not enough to secure the game in the long or even middle run in my opinion, more is needed.

Giving the Middle Finger to Certain Platforms

Street Fighter X Tekken - Criticized     Overwatch - Defended

Granted these two examples aren't exactly the same but I think it's close enough.  In Capcom's Street Figher X Tekken players on the home consoles had to pay extra for characters locked on the disc whereas Vita players got these characters for free when the game cost less.  In the case of Overwatch console players are forced to pay nearly double the price for the Origins edition which gets them nothing in addition but skins where as PC players have the option of buying the standard one and save that money.  This brings my piss to boil because it is completely unfair especially when the current game is barley even worth the price of standard version.

The reason I'm not buying this (at least not right now) is because there is not enough to yet, and all the white knighting that people are doing is really not helping to convince anyone.  It likely will be a 9/10 or 10/10 game further down the line when it has more value.  For now I think a 7/10 is more than fair so I don't see why you are all bitching.

Ranisel likes this

Yeap but EVOLVE recieved hate mostly because it was a bland game in general, it was just badly designed and gamemodes were least of problems. Why do people think OW is God sent and that everybody thinks it's being defended? People are just loving the game. One part loves it, other hates it. That's all I see and I don't think the game is anything special. More people love it than people who hate it which is why it's being praised and it's why everbody thinks it's being defended. And with love comes hate.

You really believe League of Legends is one of the most toxic and worst games ever? Well it's not.

It's just a FUN GAME, FUN GAMEPLAY and people love it. Why do people go so deep into shit and try to find SOMETHING BAD in something GOOD? That's the fucking problem today! It's gamers who are spoiled as FUCK and want "NEW CONTENT, INNOVATION". Bla bla.

Gamers are the first reason gaming industry is neck deep into microtransactions anyways and when you do make something good, people look for something bad in it. It what happens ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Most AAA devs/publishers = greedy fucks

Gamers = spoiled idiots

I just enjoy my games. In last 5 or more years I haven't made a purchse that I regret fully except one. Why? I know the shit I like and I know what I expect on release. It's the reason I don't and never will regret buying OW. And also because I NEVER preorder.

OW for it's genre has EVERYTHING that it needs, it's OPTIMIZED, it has FREE STUFF nonetheless, it's FAST PACED, it's FUN GAMEPLAY, it's got fun heroes, it's got enough gamemodes to keep us all BUSY till next big content. How fucking spoiled does someone have to be to whine for more stuff?

If people complain about that shit, just don't play it. AVOID everything that has Overwatch written on it. Just don't constantly complain about everything guys. You can't convience me or anyone who enjoys this game that it's bad or overpriced, you just can't. Definently not me, I thought for months, literally, about buying this game. I never had a big reason to step away from it and it won't come now.

I see flaws in it, but not gamebreaking or something that would push me away from it. Period.

37 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

No Campaign

EA Battlefront - Criticized                        Overwatch - Defended

Some will argue that a campaign isn't needed but if have a lore and spent so much creating these characters wouldn't a campaign or at least some PVE content to develop them be a good thing?

RNG Mirotransactions For Cosmentics

HALO 5 Guardians - Criticized                 Overwatch - Defended

Honestly the idea of buying cosmetic items in game doesn't bother that much.  It's optional and it doesn't effect the balance of play, but WHY RNG LOOTCRATES!  At least give us the choice of buying the ones for the characters that we want!  There is literally only incentive to do it like this and that is greed, end of story.

Lack of Game Modes at Launch

EVOLVE - Criticized                            Overwatch - Defended

Giving the Middle to Certain Platforms

Street Fighter X Tekken - Criticized     Overwatch - Defended

Campaign - Battlefront originally had a campaign mode in the older renditions and it worked. There was no story behind it other than the wars portrayed in the movies as the maps and conquest progression. It was a war game not an Arena shooter so completely different genres, you'd have to compare Battlefront to Battlefield and obviously Battlefield does have a SP Campaign. You can't compare these two games when it comes to a campaign, there is no MOBA or ARENA game with an actual campaign mode or SP for that matter unless it's training.

Microtransactions - Never played Halo 5 Guardians but I'm guessing it's a MP FPS. Nowadays most FPS have some sort of micro transactions and all MOBAS and ARENAS do have micro transactions. It's defended because it's expected and has always been this way.

Modes - MOBAS rarely start with more than 3 modes and they only really affect the map layout, such as 3-lane, 1-lane or that ring of death map in League of Legends. ARENAS do tend to have more modes especially if you look at SMITE, but I wasn't there in the beginning so I don't know how many modes it started with therefore I can't really complain about this other than personal opinion. And I never played EVOLVE but I assumed it was either you're the Hunters or the Monster. So again, I can't comment on this.

Platforms - Street Fighter blatantly chooses it's release platforms and was Sony exclusive for some time if I remember. As far as I know, Overwatch is on all three major platforms...I don't see the point here. Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you meant, if that's the case my bad.

Not trying to argue, just pointing out factual flaws.

Yeah good point on MOBAs. If I compare League to OW, League literally has ONLY 2 maps and gamemodes in the game and it's currently the most popular and played game on PC and has been for last 2 years or so. What does that tell you? People prefer a fun game and gameplay over content. It's exactly like OW.

If you can make good gameplay, modes don't matter and nor does adding tons of content. Adding more content can even make it better, but sometims it can even make it worse.

If you have shit and you sprinkle it with candies and other goodies then deep inside it's still shit.

Gameplay > content

31 minutes ago, Rain said:

Campaign - Battlefront originally had a campaign mode in the older renditions and it worked. There was no story behind it other than the wars portrayed in the movies as the maps and conquest progression. It was a war game not an Arena shooter so completely different genres, you'd have to compare Battlefront to Battlefield and obviously Battlefield does have a SP Campaign. You can't compare these two games when it comes to a campaign, there is no MOBA or ARENA game with an actual campaign mode or SP for that matter unless it's training.

I did say specifically say EA Battlefront, as in the one released last year.  Your talking about the original, so none of that is relevant.  So much for the "factual flaws" I made.

Microtransactions - Never played Halo 5 Guardians but I'm guessing it's a MP FPS (You REALLY had to guess that?). Nowadays most FPS have some sort of micro transactions and all MOBAS and ARENAS do have micro transactions. It's defended because it's expected and has always been this way.

Does anybody read anything anymore?  Again I said specifically "Honestly the idea of buying cosmetic items in game doesn't bother me that much.  It's optional and it doesn't effect the balance of play, but WHY RNG LOOTCRATES!" My and allot of ther peoples issue with this is that in order to get the skin or item that you want you have to either get very lucky or grind for and/or buy multiple crates.

THAT is why people don't like this practice, it forces the customer to spend more time and/or money when the developers could just have it available on the storefront.  It's a dirty, greedy tactic and I'm not just critical of Overwatch for it.

Modes - MOBAS rarely start with more than 3 modes and they only really affect the map layout, such as 3-lane, 1-lane or that ring of death map in League of Legends. ARENAS do tend to have more modes especially if you look at SMITE, but I wasn't there in the beginning so I don't know how many modes it started with therefore I can't really complain about this other than personal opinion. And I never played EVOLVE but I assumed it was either you're the Hunters or the Monster. So again, I can't comment on this.

3 modes might be ok for a FTP MOBA but for a AAA FPS release like this, it is pathetic. 

Platforms - Street Fighter blatantly chooses it's release platforms and was Sony exclusive for some time if I remember. As far as I know, Overwatch is on all three major platforms...I don't see the point here. Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you meant, if that's the case my bad.

The point is very simple, console gamers are being screwed by Blizzard because the cheaper version is PC only. Console gamer's have to buy the more expensive edition which has no worthwhile additional content.  It is complete bullshit.

Not trying to argue, just pointing out factual flaws. There wasn't any, just facts and my opinion on them.

Ranisel and Apex Spartan like this

RNG lootcrates is fine. Most people (maybe not you) complain that game supports microtransactions of ANY kind and that's annoying.

It's RNG lootcrates because Blizzard doesn't wanna force people to "MAIN A CHAMPION" and then play that ONE hero all the time. The emphasis is that people have to switch and adjust to the strategy. If skins/sprays etc were retrieveable then many people would spam one champion to unlock all stuff. Like this it keeps you busy, but it also makes you play more heroes. That's my understanding of it. CS:GO is one of the major and biggest games to come up with that famous lootshit. People on streams literally buy 100s of crates, spend thousands of dollars to get ONE FUCKING KNIFE skin. Nobody gave a hard time to Valve. Why? "Oh but you can sell that stuff on market" That's not a valid excuse so please. By the time you unlock that one GOOD skin in 100th crate, Valve already can buy a fucking car off of your money before you can sell your skin. It will not NEARLY cover your cost.

Who cares, Valve still came up with a VERY good tactic to come up with money. Guess who followed? Now Riot Games put that into League of Legends. You can get all those crates ingame which takes forever but of course, you can buy them. Blizzard isn't the first nor the last to introduce it and at least they are EASILY unlocked in Blizzard. Also you don't need a fucking key to buy it or grind for it. You level up, get a lootbox and that's it.

I'm completely fine with it being RNG but that's my opinion. It's exactly why I said it's a waste of money and people who wanna buy that shit are nuts.

I did say specifically say EA Battlefront, as in the one released last year.  Your talking about the origional.  So none is relevent.  So much for the "factual flaws" I made.

And I meant the current release, it was criticized because the originals had campaign yet left out purposely by EA and replaced by survival mode. My facts still stand.

We can compare games all we want.

In my all honesty and this will be my last post because frankly, I'm tired of explaining and trying to speak for a million people who enjoy this game is that Overwatch isn't God sent. This game isn't getting any free passes and I don't know who the fuck even came up with that. This game is being crucified from all sides with bullshit like no content to microtransactions. It was also crucified before it's playable beta version, but then when people FINALLY played it, they stopped calling it a TF2 clone.

This game is equally hated by idiots as much as it's loved by fanboys and people like me, who just love it because it's fun. Because it's most fun I've had in a arena shooter in last 5 years. Because levelling finally has meaning and it's not just about getting some unlocks that make you more OP. It's levelling purefly for reward and fun.

It's overly a well designed, well thoughtout and balanced game. It's casual but yet welcomes higher tier of play. If you think you know this game, try to watch people who've been playing it for more than a year since it's closed beta.

It's simply a good arena shooter. It's not overrated, it's not getting free passes. That's just some bullshit people came up with because all of  a sudden, OMG, people actually LOVE a arena shooter after so many years. I guess Blizzard are Illuminati and they are controlling every single reviewer and player who likes OW and they make them praise it.

giphy.gif

My point stands and is my final post here. I'm no longer replying to anyone's bullshit. Feel free to hate the game, but try  to realize that people love it SIMPLY because it's fun and they don't tryhard to dig for something bad in it. End of story and I'm out!

Well, I must admit - I was really interested in the reviews for Overwatch. Wasn't really fond of Blizzard after Diablo 3 as a whole and Legacy of the Void wrapping up the SC2 story (huge disappointments, compared to their predecessors). But the game looked like something fresh, not concentrated on story but on gameplay. Listening to podcasts and reading early impressions was interesting, it was almost a unanimous orgasm of praise. 

Then the open beta came up and I played a little and decided to buy it. Don't regret that, it's a good game.

And that's the problem - it's just a good game. It's nothing original, we've seen these game modes (the amount of time I spent pushing the cart in Enemy Territory over 10 years ago...), we've had arcady shooters, we have class-based shooter. Overwatch does good by it's predecessors, it's fun, enjoyable and you could really sink a lot of time into it. But is it something that would make me quit Dota for more than a week? No. It has too many flaws.

The maps could be balanced better. I may have not put as much time as other into OW, but in my experience some maps have a big bias towards the defense, a well placed Bastion or a well placed turret (or both in most cases) just shreds the opposing teams. Counter by teamplay is an option or Tracer but if you get spotted, you do not survive long. I've had a few maps where we lost the first objective within the first minute (indicating a huge skill gap between the teams), and then held for 6-7-8 minutes easily thanks to Bastions and/or Torbjorns. I would've assumed it's because of one persons individual skill, but I've been one of those Bastions/Torbjorns and I'd like to consider myself average at best.

I also think some issues from the netcode are annoyng as hell. Getting killed when I shouldn't, or trading kills because of the tickrate is super frustrating. I've also had this one game where inside 2mins I've got hooked by Roadhog through a wall twice. It seems like the tickrate is better in customs, and may be better for competetive, but you judge on the current state, not on what it will be in the future. Matchmaking needs tuning too, I'd say that on a good day 50% of the games end in total stomps, especially on the domination maps. The overtime mechanic is fine but thanks to the amount of stomps it's not that relevant in a vast majority of games. 

I like how Joe mentions the repetitiveness of the game. I feel that too, I can't force myself for longer sessions than 30mins, it seems like I'm doing the same thing over and over. It's not a problem of the amount of maps, because I feel like LoL or Dota can make 1-2 maps work perfectly and be interesting every time. Maybe it's the design, it may be too small maps, leaving you with not as many options as you would need to keep you interested. Many games play out the same as others. Maybe it's the amount of heroes? Having them be more diverse in playstyles? I don't know, I just feel like something is missing here. I know that support heroes are mostly healbots, which is really sad. Dota supports offer such a wide variety of options and playstyles, not just heals or CC.

It's easy to be negative, write about what you don't like with the game. The game is fun. It works for me in short bursts, when I don't have the time or don't want to put in the effort for a full Dota match. It scratches an itch that I had. I like it more than I thought I would. It's a good game. Just not a great game. 7/10 from Joe is something I agree with

Crazycrab likes this

I felt compelled to make an account for this forum (been a long time viewer but not a member of the army) just to state one simple thing.

I happened to get into the Overwatch beta with the first beta wave. I've played hundreds of hours of this game pre-launch. I've clocked 30+ hours in actual gameplay since launch. I and people I know keep going back to this game for hour after hour of just pure enjoyment. I got more enjoyment and playtime out of Overwatch during the beta than I'd get out of almost any single player full price release on the market, and after six months of having access to the game I am still thoroughly enjoying the experience and there is no foreseeable end to my enjoyment of this game.

It doesn't try to be a lot of the things that people who complain about a lack of content think it should be. It doesn't need to be those things, because it is stellar at what it does try to be, which is a great multiplayer FPS experience with MOBA elements. And that's not for everyone, but if you're one of those people who spent 10 years playing Dota, CS or StarCraft, if you're a person who enjoys mastering a complex multiplayer game and honing your own skills, then this value proposition is going to be very good for you. Because this can and very likely will become your primary game that you come back to over and over again. It has for me.

Apex Spartan and TamaskanLEM like this

I played the beta and decided I dont want the game. Not that I think its bad, it just isnt as fun for me as other games for less... However more game modes and maps are not at all the reason why I feel thus.

I cant help but wonder if the people complaining about game modes and maps REALLY would like the game if it had those things, I kinda doubt it. Especially when people tend to play the same effing maps over and over online anyway like garden of war, big game hunters, dedust, etc. Games where players can choose the game type and map and allow ranfomization... The random servers are RARELY active opposed to the fixed ones.

one thing I didnt care for that I havent seen mentioned was the inability to switch weapons. I know most feel this belongs in a hero style game, but that is one tradeoff I apprefiate less chz of the hero system.

Apex Spartan likes this

17 hours ago, Ghaleon said:

I played the beta and decided I dont want the game. Not that I think its bad, it just isnt as fun for me as other games for less... However more game modes and maps are not at all the reason why I feel thus.

I cant help but wonder if the people complaining about game modes and maps REALLY would like the game if it had those things, I kinda doubt it. Especially when people tend to play the same effing maps over and over online anyway like garden of war, big game hunters, dedust, etc. Games where players can choose the game type and map and allow ranfomization... The random servers are RARELY active opposed to the fixed ones.

one thing I didnt care for that I havent seen mentioned was the inability to switch weapons. I know most feel this belongs in a hero style game, but that is one tradeoff I apprefiate less chz of the hero system.

I couldn't agree more with this point tho. It's always fine not to like the game, but honestly  people will never hate a game because it lacks content. Usually if a game has bad gameplay, no matter how much content you add, it won't make it better.

I think most people who don't like the game simply don't like FPS or don't like it's gameplay. I can see why many people who are into serious shooters that don't look silly and cartoony wouldn't like this game. Like you said, game has enough content to keep people busy, but if you don't like the gameplay then why would you care about it's current or new content?