• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

PrivateLazyTurtle

What do you think of this rig?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys just joined the forums, and I really want to jump into PC gaming so I decided to build my own PC. (By the way I am new to PC building so I might be clueless to some computer building vocabulary)

So, after researching here and there I have come up with this rig and was wondering what you guys think of it. Any advise will help and my budget is $700 (I am a college student so yeah)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz

Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-B150M Micro ATX LGA1151 

RAM: Kingston Hyper X Furry 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133

Storage: Seagate 1TB

Video Card: EVGA GTX 960 4GB (might buy roommates GTX 980)

Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower case

Power: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze

I am aiming to play Fallout 4, Overwatch, and Guild Wars 2

And againg any help is appreciated!

Instead of dumping money for i5 6500, purchase i3 6100, completely enough for the game you intend to play and for the newer ones, because after all, its a 6th gen processor.

Motherboard, okay, nice MB.

Before buying RAM, check the website of your MB manufacturer, they should've listed with what memory their MB runs best with, or simply call them. But in general, FURY is a good memory.

On storage, instead of 1TB you can buy 500GB HDD with an SSD

Video card, holy moley damn, that mmmmm i wish i had that

Case, ok, meh

PSU, cute one

On 09/06/2016 at 2:52 AM, SqU4D3Nn said:

Instead of dumping money for i5 6500, purchase i3 6100, completely enough for the game you intend to play and for the newer ones, because after all, its a 6th gen processor.

Motherboard, okay, nice MB.

Before buying RAM, check the website of your MB manufacturer, they should've listed with what memory their MB runs best with, or simply call them. But in general, FURY is a good memory.

On storage, instead of 1TB you can buy 500GB HDD with an SSD

Video card, holy moley damn, that mmmmm i wish i had that

Case, ok, meh

PSU, cute one

Definitely spend a little and get an SSD for Windows partition but I would have it with the 1TB HDD (at least) as well, 500Gb isn't enough in my opinion.

If you go for that used 980 you may need a better power supply, but I would go for it if the price is reasonable.

No, i3 6100 is a 6th generation processor, but if you are feeling unsecure, you can always get i3-6300 or 6320.

2 hours ago, PrivateLazyTurtle said:

If I switch to an i3-6100 cpu, will there be any bottle neck issues with gtx 960/980?

If it's for gaming then I would strongly recommend against any I3.  They are not designed for gaming and developers generally don't optimize form those chips. Go for an I5 even if it's an older model.  6th gen or not the I3's are lower end chips designed for web browsing and media, NOT gaming.

With the GTX 960. I would recommend waiting and getting the new AMD RX480. The Price difference  between GTX 960 and RX480 is pretty low in USD.