• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

25 posts in this topic

So, after hearing everybody going "OVERWATCH! OVERWATCH! OVERWATCH! OVERWATCH!" I decided to watch all the cinematic trailers for the game on YouTube.

I have NEVER been more...disappointed.

Blizzard created a load of very cool looking characters with very interesting back stories in a very interesting universe...and the game itself is nothing more than a team-based shooter ala Team Fortress with some MOBA elements. There is nothing of substance to actually progress the characters and make you care beyond the promotional material.

Way to go, Blizzard. And I used to think you were so good at actually developing and telling stories.

Glaice likes this

I won't buy this game now but I would consider it when they add more to it, but I wouldn't go as far to judge the game this harshly without playing it.  But it seems the player base is already starting to die off so I may never get the chance to.

Apex Spartan likes this

Did you play the game, to be honest in my opinion the only thing to be ashamed of is the price, i love it, probably the most refreshing multiplayer shooter in a long time, player base dying off really had not noticed

So wait.. just because blizzard did a good job telling stories in the past.. from now on THEY ABSOLUTELY MUST DEVELOP STORY DRIVEN GAMES ONLY? God forbid they try doing new stuff?

Besides, nothing is stopping them from eventually making overwatch online.. overwatch tactics, etc. I mean if warcraft didn't exist, hearthstone woudln't have much of a story either.

likes this

I was watching a musical last week. It's so stupid. People just break into song and dance for no reason. Why don't they just talk things out? 

TamaskanLEM and like this

1 hour ago, Ghaleon said:

So wait.. just because blizzard did a good job telling stories in the past.. from now on THEY ABSOLUTELY MUST DEVELOP STORY DRIVEN GAMES ONLY? God forbid they try doing new stuff?

Besides, nothing is stopping them from eventually making overwatch online.. overwatch tactics, etc. I mean if warcraft didn't exist, hearthstone woudln't have much of a story either.

Hearthstone doesn't have a story though. It's literally people playing a card game.

46 minutes ago, Deezyfesheezy said:

Hearthstone doesn't have a story though. It's literally people playing a card game.

That's my point... because it has 'warcraft' in the lore. the op handwaves its lack of story... but because overwatch came before something with its own story. god forbid!

1 minute ago, Ghaleon said:

That's my point... because it has 'warcraft' in the lore. the op handwaves its lack of story... but because overwatch came before something with its own story. god forbid!

The Warcraft games were strategy games with tons of story though.

OW has none of that. Blizz should really looking to adding in some kind of story content.

Just now, Deezyfesheezy said:

The Warcraft games were strategy games with tons of story though.

OW has none of that. Blizz should really looking to adding in some kind of story content.

Why? Just because they made one game with story doesn't mean they are now committed to making story-centric games...And I wasn't even comparing it to warcraft, I was comparing it to hearthstone.. ugh.

I bought the 40 dollar edition of this game and I fully agree it's overhyped. Lacks content severely, the characters are a bit boring with no back story other than the CGI shorts, and the gameplay gets stale and repetitive quickly. This game was originally meant to be a free to play game and it's obvious that after making it a buy to play title, they didn't care enough to add any more content to it. But hey, it's Blizzard so fuck it. Pft.

Overwatch has about the same amount of content as Battlefront, Destiny, and Rainbow Six Siege and honestly the content isn't that much better.. but for some reason those games got shit on for their lack of content while Ovewatch gets to sit on a throne.(That throne will only last a month though. Overwatch's numbers will drop rapidly once the hype wears off.)

Crazycrab likes this

1 hour ago, Ghaleon said:

Why? Just because they made one game with story doesn't mean they are now committed to making story-centric games...And I wasn't even comparing it to warcraft, I was comparing it to hearthstone.. ugh.

I don't think that's what he meant, Blizzard have always put Gameplay before Story in their games, but they atleast managed to make a few decent ones, their recent stories World Of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor and Starcraft were atrocious, just horrible. But I don't think an Arena Shooter NEEDS a story, you literally pick a character and shoot other characters, why do you need a story with that? What's the story of Quake? Backstories of Characters? :unsureoj:

Anyway, as for the game itself, I personally don't like all the encouragement for switching between Characters or that there are Characters that are anything more than a backstory and visuals, but that's just personal preference. And while they DO look unique and colorful, that's about It, from what I've read about character backstories and Character lore, It's pretty ''by the list'' roster, you've got your Big Russian woman, you have the Female assassin/sniper ETC. But I also agree that the price is too high, especially on console and that '' Blizzard has made all the right noises about being committed to building on Overwatch, providing new heroes, maps and gametypes for free across the game’s lifespan. '' argument is quite dumb, what was the alternative to that? They'd make you pay 40$ for a game with no PvE/SP and even no Ranked/Competitive on launch and even MICROTRANSACTION , AFTER THAT they would be like ''Yeah guys we're bringing in new Characters and maps an' stuff, but you gotta pay'' :corpcom:

But to be honest It absolutely is 

1 hour ago, VirexGaming said:

Ovewatch gets to sit on a throne

Just take a look at The Escapist reviews for Battlefront EA: 

Nov 19, 2015
Star Wars: Battlefront does a fantastic job of transporting players into the Star Wars universe for a big initial kicker, but that ultimately fades when you realize how light it is on content and game features. A textbook case of style over substance.

And then Overwatch: 

May 24, 2016
Overwatch is a fast, fun, and fresh take on the class-based shooter. Blizzard has made sure its first new IP in 17 years is polished to perfection.

:plznojoe: I don't mind that players love the game and find It refreshing, I mind that no one is outraged by the lack of content, microtransactions and Critic pandering, players should be able to love the game while acknowledging that.

3 minutes ago, Ranisel said:

I don't think that's what he meant, Blizzard have always put Gameplay before Story in their games, but they atleast managed to make a few decent ones, their recent stories World Of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor and Starcraft were atrocious, just horrible. But I don't think an Arena Shooter NEEDS a story, you literally pick a character and shoot other characters, why do you need a story with that? What's the story of Quake? Backstories of Characters? :unsureoj:

I don't think thus, the op does, and I'm attempting to argue against it....  .... ... Don't even get me started on ranting about this new wave of 'gamers' claiming 'story' is what matters in games... don't even get me started. I thought I was pretty clear on the matter but if you think I was joking OR seriously discussing otherwise, I suggest learning a language properly before using cute memes and images to convey the language you lack.

Anyway, as for the game itself, I personally don't like all the encouragement for switching between Characters or that there are Characters that are anything more than a backstory and visuals, but that's just personal preference.[/quote] [/quote]

I personally wasn't impressed with overwatch but I wasn't upset either. I hoped for something better than UT2k4 but didn't expect it, and... it didn't surpass my expectations. I care not for it. HOWEVER, by having multiple characters with multiple specials and weapons, I do in fact think encouraging players to switch on the fly is better for the game.

And while they DO look unique and colorful, that's about It, from what I've read about character backstories and Character lore, It's pretty ''by the list'' roster, you've got your Big Russian woman, you have the Female assassin/sniper ETC. But I also agree that the price is too high, especially on console and that ''

Blizzard has made all the right noises about being committed to building on Overwatch, providing new heroes, maps and gametypes for free across the game’s lifespan. '' argument is quite dumb, what was the alternative to that? They'd make you pay 40$ for a game with no PvE/SP and even no Ranked/Competitive on launch and even MICROTRANSACTION , AFTER THAT they would be like ''Yeah guys we're bringing in new Characters and maps an' stuff, but you gotta pay'' :corpcom:

What the carp are you even talking about. I never spoke about nor even attempted to defend the quote you quoted. I'm not even attempting to defend the game as great. I'm only attempting to defend that if blizzard is successful in making a new game based on something other than backstory and character, effing let them... THATS what I'm defending. I probably WAS, AND AM, more vocal than you are or ever were about being anti-SJW on these boards, so seeing 'big-woman example here, assasin-woman example there' as an argument against me makes you look like one of those people SJWs use as fuel for their cause. Congrats.

But to be honest It absolutely is 

Just take a look at The Escapist reviews for Battlefront EA: 

Nov 19, 2015
Star Wars: Battlefront does a fantastic job of transporting players into the Star Wars universe for a big initial kicker, but that ultimately fades when you realize how light it is on content and game features. A textbook case of style over substance.

And then Overwatch: 

May 24, 2016
Overwatch is a fast, fun, and fresh take on the class-based shooter. Blizzard has made sure its first new IP in 17 years is polished to perfection.

:plznojoe: I don't mind that players love the game and find It refreshing, I mind that no one is outraged by the lack of content, microtransactions and Critic pandering, players should be able to love the game while acknowledging that.

'no-one'? it's all I heard about the game, and I don't even like it that much! I mean I've particpated in more than one topic about why I didn't want to buy it, and afterwards I had to explain why I thought lack of game modes and maps and all that shit was just an excuse to why *I* thought the game didn't matter to me (or anyone like me). I mean I'm not saying the people who dislike it are WRONG, I don't like it either, but good god try to come up with some real reason why rather than parroting the ignorant bandwagon.

ugh... you're making me be irate to someone actually supporting my points but doesn't even realize it

36 minutes ago, Ghaleon said:

ugh... you're making me be irate to someone actually supporting my points but doesn't even realize it

The only thing about my previous post that was directed towards you specifically is the first paragraph, Blizzard WERE good at telling stories, but not anymore, I don't think neither you nor him are 100% right, so I backed the parts of the claims I thought were right. 1: Blizzard haven't done any good stories in their games lately. 2: Even if they did they always put Gameplay over Story and 3: Despite all that, I also don't think they should be stuck developing games with great stories, and as a matter of fact, they aren't.

39 minutes ago, Ghaleon said:

What the carp are you even talking about. I never spoke about nor even attempted to defend the quote you quoted. I'm not even attempting to defend the game as great. I'm only attempting to defend that if blizzard is successful in making a new game based on something other than backstory and character, effing let them... THATS what I'm defending. I probably WAS, AND AM, more vocal than you are or ever were about being anti-SJW on these boards, so seeing 'big-woman example here, assasin-woman example there' as an argument against me makes you look like one of those people SJWs use as fuel for their cause. Congrats.

Keep defending that, but nothing more from my post was written about you specifically. In fact I agree with you about this. And also the 

'big-woman example here, assasin-woman example there' as an argument against me makes you look like one of those people SJWs use as fuel for their cause. Congrats.'' wasn't an argument AGAINST you, or FOR you actually.... And how the fuck does It make ME fuel for their cause? I'm just saying that the characters have distinct visuals, not personalities or archetypes O_O. But It's probably my fault I wrote the OP in a confusing manner so you probably thought everything was directed at you.

45 minutes ago, Ghaleon said:

I mean I'm not saying the people who dislike it are WRONG, I don't like it either, but good god try to come up with some real reason why rather than parroting the ignorant bandwagon.

What ignorant bandwagon? I said I don't like Arena Shooters with Character-Classes and MOBA elements, I also don't like that you're encouraged too much to switch them up. Those are the reasons I'm not buying the game ( and my shitty PC ) 

I personally don't like competitive games, unless I'm playing with a bunch of friends, but I like all the colourful characters. The loot and reward system is utterly fucking broken though, and is designed to just make you want to buy those microtransactions. Which is a shame because if they did one of two tiny little changes it would be a lot better. Either remove the chance of getting duplicates all together, or increase the amount of coins you get for getting duplicates.

Just started playing it yesterday.

Its a great game, well worth the praise its been getting but if your a solo player then you may struggle since its built around cooperation.

Someone proclaiming a game to be overhyped after watching the trailers and realizing it's a genre they don't like.

Internet in a nutshell.

likes this

14 hours ago, Ghaleon said:

Actually that's not what I was saying at all. There is story ALL OVER those little trailer bits. That's the point, that is the ONLY place there is any story in this game, and that's very sad because there is a ton of potential to put that story into the gameplay even with this type and style of game.

5 hours ago, Zieglobaz said:

Someone proclaiming a game to be overhyped after watching the trailers and realizing it's a genre they don't like.

Internet in a nutshell.

Actually I rather enjoyed Team Fortress 2 when it first came out. I was a pretty good medic.

I also do enjoy team-based games when the mood strikes and I can gather together a good group of players.

My complaint is that Blizzard set this game up with a very rich environment and did nothing with it.

Killzone likes this

Ahh okies, apologies Ranni-pooh!

Oddly enough the whole encourage players to switch characters thing was actually something I thought sounded more interesting. I like games that reward players for being multi-talented and being able to think on the fly.

Ranisel likes this

On 6/8/2016 at 4:32 PM, PlasticFrogCG said:

So, after hearing everybody going "OVERWATCH! OVERWATCH! OVERWATCH! OVERWATCH!" I decided to watch all the cinematic trailers for the game on YouTube.

I have NEVER been more...disappointed.

Blizzard created a load of very cool looking characters with very interesting back stories in a very interesting universe...and the game itself is nothing more than a team-based shooter ala Team Fortress with some MOBA elements. There is nothing of substance to actually progress the characters and make you care beyond the promotional material.

Way to go, Blizzard. And I used to think you were so good at actually developing and telling stories.

When it comes down to it. The majority always wins. I say that in the manner of the fact that a game serves its purpose if the majority enjoy playing it. The one thing they put the most into this game with was the characters themselves. There will be additional content "for free" later on which is a good thing. Doesn't mean of course they may not put out something else with a price tag on it because these things happen, but despite the negatives you've mentioned, a lot of people naturally enjoy playing the game.

Aside from that there was nothing that every said it was going to be anything more then a team based shooter. I would have liked a story mode, hell yes, but it is what it is. Until you have people on a mass scale really having a problem with the way certain games are done its going to continue to be this way. 

I'm personally hoping with the additional content they intend to add to the game later on it includes more modes, "which I felt for such a game it should have had waaaay more of",  levels, and hell make it available for the players to be able to design their own levels. That I would enjoy.

You don't need a story in a MP game. Since when do stories make a game, a game?

League of Legends is currently the most popular video game on PC today (idk if it's still but its there) and their story works similarly like OW. There is trailers to tell the story, a few comics come now and then or videos with new champions and there is lore to read on every champ. Story is good, but it's just not put together. You have to Googl it all by yourself, watch trailers and so on. Stories don't matter in MP games like this. When will people realize that?

I love this game so people might thin I'm protecting it, but honestly when someone says "I don't like it, it's shit!" that's a perfect answer. You don't like it and that's fine. But when someone says "I dont like it because it has no story"...

Well...people still love porn, but when did porn have a good story? You watch it for the HOT ACTION and you don't watch it for the story of the guy who went for a interview and the hot lady there decided to get all sexual about it.

People play multiplayer mostly for competitive nature, social aspects and things like that. If it's a story focused MP like some MMORPGs and then the story sucks, oh well, but even then people want gameplay to be the most important factor in MP, not the story.

Here is PERFECT video I wanna show everyone here in this thread and would like you all to watch it, just trust me, watch it. It's educational and really good and he doesn't only talk about League here, it's just one example

You can APPLY the rules he used to in the video for other games, but reason he was talking about League is because it's a game he plays. Anyways, he explains about a system that's used to rate how FUN a game is and what makes a game good.

Anyway OP, I respect your post, but your reasons not to like this game are wrong. It's okay you don't like it because it's not a genre you like and things like that, but lack of story/campaign is not a good reason not to like it. Why? because the game was never marketed as a game with a story. It was constantly promoted as a team based shooter. Why is it SO popular now? Honestly, I got no damn idea

I don't see how it would be overhyped. It is what it set out to be. Most of the hype I saw about the game seemed to come from all the people that were in the early beta and then the people who were playing the beta that was open for everyone. A lot of people were actively playing the game for free and really liked it, which also falls in with a lot of the people I know who have reviewed the game with high marks.

Apex Spartan likes this

Overhyped, overrated and uninteresting to me.

4 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

I don't see how it would be overhyped. It is what it set out to be. Most of the hype I saw about the game seemed to come from all the people that were in the early beta and then the people who were playing the beta that was open for everyone. A lot of people were actively playing the game for free and really liked it, which also falls in with a lot of the people I know who have reviewed the game with high marks.

Yea pretty much this. It's one thing to hype a game with promotional material and trailers,but if a game gets hyped by gameplay videos done by the community itself and they praise it then it's a proper hype. 

This game didn't get much hype AT ALL from Blizzard if you look back till it's announcment in 2014. It got trailers and so on, but everything else was later "overhyped" by the community playing the game. Game got extremely popular in LoL community where pro players and popular streamers played it too and then their viewers etc

I'm talking about LoL's community because it's a game I still play ocassionaly but I still follow their streamers and pro scene and I'm really deep into it. I'm sure other game communities loved it.

I think this game got more promoted by players than Blizzard. I say let haters hate it and that's fine, but it ain't overhyped and that's a fact. It would of been overhyped if people now played it and said it was bad, but they are loving it.

I think people been so head deep into shit and trying to get all cynical that they forgot the meaning of overhype. It means when something is overrated and is usually done by companies that PROMOTE IT and then overhype it, but OW was promoted by community really well. Who the hell spoke about OW before it's closed beta? Someone please tell me...

It was after closed beta where people started posting reviews about it where the game bloomed. End of story.

Blizzard got into the hypetrain once they realized that people love it and then "overhyped" it as well.

Today most gamers are like this, "If I don't play this game, but I see that everyone else loves it then it's overhyped and overrated."

22 hours ago, Apex Spartan said:

You can APPLY the rules he used to in the video for other games, but reason he was talking about League is because it's a game he plays. Anyways, he explains about a system that's used to rate how FUN a game is and what makes a game good.

As a League of Legends ex-player ( Diamond V EUNE Season 4 ) I disagree with the video.

1. He talks about teamwork and how rewarding working together with your team to ace the enemy team can be, specifically the feeling and how hard it is to replace by other games, not true, almost all multiplayer games ( team-based ones ) have that kind of feeling, nothing unique there.

2. He talks about challenge, and how the game can easily hook new players and also retain veteran players with the complex ''Easy to play, hard to master'', but It's a team-game, and part of the reason I hate it so much is that for a team game, your individual skill is not that important, eventho I was Diamond V when I was playing on a different Account to play with a fellow friend who was Silver or something, I've still had losses, because eventho I could take them 1v3, we had no teamwork and we couldn't push, and soon all of them were just as strong as me and since they played as a team they won. So what I mean is that the ''challenge'' of LoL only goes so far, it feels to me like the challenge and skill you acquire are somewhere in the middle between important and un-important, and that just frustrates me.

3. He talks about discovery, sure it has that, when you're new to the game and every champion you try feels new and unique, but trust me, a few months in and you understand that a huge number of the characters have nothing unique and original about them, or atleast all my favorites didn't, all of their characters are already based on something and have a little spin on that thing as to avoid being sued, sure it's foolish to expect a game with over 100 characters to have all of them unique, but I personally would prefer less of them, in order the game to be more balanced and the characters being better. And how he talks about new content, it usually completely screws the balance of the game, oh character X is having low win-rate, let's buff him, then they buff him too much and that character is pretty much dominating his role....

4. He literally says last hitting is fun, I'm sorry but, I personally find it annoying and boring, I prefer how HoTS completely removed the need to last hit minions but you still need to be around them when they die for XP.

5. I disagree, you can't ''express yourself'' by buying a type of items, or a playstyle, since some champions are suited for playstyle X and other Y, same for items.

Sorry for derailing the topic, I just wanted to put my 2 cents about the video out there, with that being said I don't think OW is ''overrated'' but I also don't think it deserves all the 100s it recieved.

7 minutes ago, Ranisel said:

As a League of Legends ex-player ( Diamond V EUNE Season 4 ) I disagree with the video.

1. He talks about teamwork and how rewarding working together with your team to ace the enemy team can be, specifically the feeling and how hard it is to replace by other games, not true, almost all multiplayer games ( team-based ones ) have that kind of feeling, nothing unique there.

2. He talks about challenge, and how the game can easily hook new players and also retain veteran players with the complex ''Easy to play, hard to master'', but It's a team-game, and part of the reason I hate it so much is that for a team game, your individual skill is not that important, eventho I was Diamond V when I was playing on a different Account to play with a fellow friend who was Silver or something, I've still had losses, because eventho I could take them 1v3, we had no teamwork and we couldn't push, and soon all of them were just as strong as me and since they played as a team they won. So what I mean is that the ''challenge'' of LoL only goes so far, it feels to me like the challenge and skill you acquire are somewhere in the middle between important and un-important, and that just frustrates me.

3. He talks about discovery, sure it has that, when you're new to the game and every champion you try feels new and unique, but trust me, a few months in and you understand that a huge number of the characters have nothing unique and original about them, or atleast all my favorites didn't, all of their characters are already based on something and have a little spin on that thing as to avoid being sued, sure it's foolish to expect a game with over 100 characters to have all of them unique, but I personally would prefer less of them, in order the game to be more balanced and the characters being better. And how he talks about new content, it usually completely screws the balance of the game, oh character X is having low win-rate, let's buff him, then they buff him too much and that character is pretty much dominating his role....

4. He literally says last hitting is fun, I'm sorry but, I personally find it annoying and boring, I prefer how HoTS completely removed the need to last hit minions but you still need to be around them when they die for XP.

5. I disagree, you can't ''express yourself'' by buying a type of items, or a playstyle, since some champions are suited for playstyle X and other Y, same for items.

Sorry for derailing the topic, I just wanted to put my 2 cents about the video out there, with that being said I don't think OW is ''overrated'' but I also don't think it deserves all the 100s it recieved.

The video was made back around season 4 or something, game was a lot different back then, but he was talking in general and that's what League is. Back in Season 1-3, game was about snowballing and then solo carrying. Since 4 it was a bit of both and you could still carry solo if you were good, but now that's a lot harder because let's be honest, Riot is fucking stupid. They are making the game team-focused without actually having tools to make teamplay easier (voice comms etc)

Video was pretty correct for it back then and while it isn't 100% correct anymore, still lots of those points that he talked about about which make a game good stand, but League just changed since then. 

I didn't link  the video so people watch it to see if it's correct or wrong or that they watch it why League is fun, but I linked it so that everyone here understands that there is far more to games than just stories and SP that make a MP fun for people. That was the whole point of the video xD

Ranisel likes this