• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

What are your thoughts on Quake Champions?

13 posts in this topic

First that got me pissed about is: Classes with special abilities.

Classes in Quake?

anigif_enhanced-2008-1393164940-15.gif

Seems to me like Quake wants to become new Overwatch with different classes that have different special abilities. It seems like they wanna create some shit like in TF2 or OW where you compose a team with different characters and different abilities, but if you look at Quake 3 Arena, there were no such abilities or features.

Quake had even.footing on everything and for everyone that always made individual skill more important and placed teamwork in 2nd place, but the way they described it now, it seems like it's going vice versa.

Quake Champions features a roster of unique characters, each with their own distinctive abilities, allowing you to fight the way you want. .

That's QUAKE now.

Choose A Hero: Overwatch features a wide array of unique Heroes, ranging from a time-jumping adventurer, to an armored, rocket-hammer-wielding warrior, to atranscendent robot monk. Every hero plays differently, and mastering their Abilitiesis the key to unlocking their potential. No two heroes are the same.

That's Overwatch.

Now I'm not saying they are copying Overwatch and I'm just having a bit of fun, but this is stupid. Why NOT just make the god damn game like it was before? Why not just make it a fast paced acrobatic shooter in which you have weapons placed across the map, which you can pick up and shit on enemy players. WHY do you have to come up with fuckin' classes in a GAME that was NEVER about classes and abilities?!??!!

Why try to be "innovative" and "special" on a game that already defined fast paced shooting and gameplay without freaking classes?

Also it seems like it won't feature Singleplayer. 

They make DOOM really good and now they decide to make Quake into a MP only class-based shooter. I'm mean it might be good, I won't be an ass, but why not just keep it original...

And if it won't feature SP, what's the point?

:fail:

So for Overwatch not having a Single Player and so on in a paid game is OK but for Quake it isn't?

In all seriousness, I never played Quake since it came at what at the time when for me it was the PC gaming dark ages.  So I don't really give any stock in Quake but I will hold it up to the same standards as Overwatch and other games in this genre.

If it is FTP or a discounted price on PC AND consoles (unlike Overwatch) along with a reasonable number of modes then I'll be OK with it.  If it's full price and only has a few modes then I will, of course, call bullshit. 

15 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

So for Overwatch not having a Single Player and so on in a paid game is OK but for Quake it isn't?

Overwatch is a completely new IP, not based on an older IP which did have a campaign. It was created completely from ground up as a MP only.

Quake 1 and 2 had campaigns, Quake 4 had a campaign, an excellent one as well. Now this new Quake is focused on MP only? I think, I don't know.

So not a good comparison :P

15 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

In all seriousness I never played Quake since it came at at what at the time when for me it was the PC gaming dark ages.  So I don't really gave any stock in Quake but I will hold it up to the same standards as Overwatch and other games in this genre. If it is FTP or a discounted price on PC AND consoles (unlike Overwatch) along with a reasinable number of modes then I'll be OK with it.

Quake defined FPS back in 90s together with DOOM and other shooters. Quake 1 and 2 had really good  campaigns, Quake 3 was focused on MP mostly with skilled fast action, Quake 4 had a really good campaign as well, dark and creepy, but again very fast paced. I SUPPOSE the new Quake not having SP is ok since Quake 3 didn't have it either, but what's crap is the classes with abilities. It doesn't fit the game and that's what pisses me off the most.

Imagine Quake 3 MP being simply like Unreal Tournament. You have a character and jump around the map, picking weapons and then killing people. I don't know, imagine Counter Strike instead of buying your weapons, you have to pick a class which allows you certain weapons or abilities? It would be crap. It's restrictive.

While I like that concept in some games, but I don't like it when it's introduced in IPs that never had them, like Quake in this case.

I'm not saying it's bad, it might be fun. I don't wanna judge the game and say it will suck, but I do worry about it a bit.

20 minutes ago, Apex Spartan said:

Overwatch is a completely new IP, not based on an older IP which did have a campaign. It was created completely from ground up as a MP only.

Quake 1 and 2 had campaigns, Quake 4 had a campaign, an excellent one as well. Now this new Quake is focused on MP only? I think, I don't know.

So not a good comparison :P

You're the one that made that comparison in your OP, don't push it on me!

Quake defined FPS back in 90s together with DOOM and other shooters. Quake 1 and 2 had really good  campaigns, Quake 3 was focused on MP mostly with skilled fast action, Quake 4 had a really good campaign as well, dark and creepy, but again very fast paced. I SUPPOSE the new Quake not having SP is ok since Quake 3 didn't have it either, but what's crap is the classes with abilities. It doesn't fit the game and that's what pisses me off the most.

Imagine Quake 3 MP being simply like Unreal Tournament. You have a character and jump around the map, picking weapons and then killing people. I don't know, imagine Counter Strike instead of buying your weapons, you have to pick a class which allows you certain weapons or abilities? It would be crap. It's restrictive.

I'm not going to argue there sine I never played Quake.  The Overwatch system might still work for a relaunch but I can only speculate.

While I like that concept in some games, but I don't like it when it's introduced in IPs that never had them, like Quake in this case.

I see your point bit I still find it a hypocritical reason to hold lower standards for one game over another.

16 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

You're the one that made that comparison in your OP, don't push it on me!

I see your point bit I still find it a hypocritical reason to hold lower standards for one game over another.

I was making a comparison based on the hero/class system, not the singleplayer. Singleplayer I mentioned alone, just alone, not compared to everything. I compared the SP to other Quake games.

I'm not holding lower standards, I'm just saying why the huge change that's not necessary in a game that's existed 15 years as it did and all of a sudden changing a core mechanic. Imagine a game you like that's existed for many years and one of the main core mechanics gets changed to something that everyone does. Would you feel glad? I'm sure you would feel a bit skeptical about it.

It's not a new IP, then I wouldn't mind. It's an IP that shaped early shooters so of course it's a huge deal for anyone that played it. Unlike others, I'm not completely bashing it, but I'm skeptical and worried on how it might work out. If it works out great, then great, I hope it does, but that doesn't mean I'm not skeptical. I feel like companies often look at other games success and then try to use one of the mechanics from that game that made it succesful and add it into their own and that's fine  IF it's a new game that has no fondations to hold on to, but changing a core mechanic from a game that's defined an entire genre early is a HUGE step, one that can go entirely wrong or might turn out to be okay.

That still doesn't mean lots of people still won't be dissapointed. It's already not being recieved too well by older Quake fans. I'm not really a fan of the series but I still loved it and seeing one of it's core mechanics being competley revamped makes me a bit worried, nothing else.

If it's gonna be classes that work in most class-based games meaning you can only use this and that weapon on each class, then that's gonna suck no matter how good the rest of the mechanic will work in the game. After all, Quake MP was all about using ALL weapons that you can find on the map. Replacing that mechanic with special abilities is...I dont 'know, in games like TF2, Battleborne and OW, games that were new and already founded on that mechanic is fine, but taking a good old IP and changing it's heart...I can see why so many people are worried.

So thoughts on quake now that the NDA is down?  I haven't gotten to play it yet but it looks Quake enough to me.

I for one am looking forward to this. It may have unique abilities for each character, but at the very least, it still looks as though it's going the Quake 3 route instead of the CoD/Halo route. And that, if anything, is a good sign. Certainly it can't be that bad, especially after the train-wreck that was DOOM '16's multiplayer.

Why are they reviving all these old games? Quake was fun in its day but that was then. Lets stop playing with my childhood and make new games?

15 hours ago, StrangePinkFox said:

Why are they reviving all these old games? Quake was fun in its day but that was then. Lets stop playing with my childhood and make new games?

What is "Quake's day"? Quake is fun and I for one would love to see a new Quake game, DOOM and Wolfenstein were revivals done well and thus I'm inclined to believe they can handle Quake as well, ID Software know what they are doing. (PS: Sorry Wolfenstein:The New Order is actually NOT developed by ID Software, it's actually from MachineGames) 

Besides there's plenty of "New games" around, if you don't like the idea of a new Quake for some inexplicable reason don't play it.

But again, with Halo,Overwatch and DOOM's Call of Duty-like Multiplayer I think Quake is exactly what people need right now, something to remind them what an ACTUAL ARENA SHOOTER is.

It's ok hun don't get upset, I for one want to see new games. I have a lot of fond memories playing quake on my dads computer. Do you really want to see remakes of everything?

Well remakes are fine as long as they are done right imo. If you read my first post, I was very skeptical about it, which is no surprise due to how many games hype you up and fail, same with remakes, but I might have been wrong with Quake with what I heard so far. I heard good things about it from beta players. I'm glad I was wrong.

StrangePinkFox likes this

Quake was better when it stuck to a single/co-op story campaign about fighting Strogg who want to use humans for body parts.

I always thought Unreal Tournament had earned the crown for the arena-shooter market.

I've actually played this game now (got a free code with my CPU) and.......  There's a good reason so few are talking about it!  It's just another hero shooter/gambling simulator trying desperately to claw it's way into a flooded market by using a well known name!  Nothing to see here, just move along.

In addition it is so right up in your face with it's microtransactions immediately as you get to the menu it literally looks just like a free to play mobile game.  I'm just so glad I didn't have to spend my own money on this, in fact nobody should.  It's a free to play game that you have pay to access.

You want to know more about the mechanics or whatever ask someone who is actually will to waste their time with this fee to play shit.  As far as I'm concerned this whole damn genre of the "Hero" shooter need to either go free to play or fucking die!