• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

What triggers your nostalgic trips in gaming?

11 posts in this topic

You ever do something like browse Youtube and you are looking for a specific song from a game you played long ago and then you find it and when you start playing it and all of a sudden as the song plays, you start to fall in a painfully beautiful nostalgic trip?  You remember almost the same exact moment when you played that part of the game, where  and when that specific music started playing. That has to be one of the more amazing feelings, to feel so close to a game and have so many memories attached to it.

An hour ago or so, I saw Dungeon Siege 3 on sale so I Google'd gameplay videos and reviews and I heard it was mediocre game in general, but if you are a Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 veteran, that it's best to stay away from it. Anyway after I saw it's not what I wanted and a complete let down of the entire series, I felt like hearing the Dungeon Siege theme before going to bed and then it hit me right in the freaking feels. DS 1 and 2 were some great ARPGS and dungeon crawlers. DS3 just made the series look so bad. I remember that Ds 1 and DS 2 had over 150 or even more Spell Books (spells) for mage characters. Was amazing. It was also the first game to get me into fantasy settings and introduced me to action RPGs, which is probably why the game is special to me

Just hearing this tune again awoke memories so clean that I could remember the exact time, what I was wearing and drinking at that same moment around almost 9 or 10 years ago when I played this game and when this music would play. It awoke all the memories from that time and reminded me what a good time that was: going to school, not having too much to worry about and just playing games after finishing homework

I would include Warcraft 3 here as I played it around this time as well and there is some tracks from that game that remined me and bring in the deep nostalgia. There is many songs from different games that make me feel extremely nostalgic and just miss that part of life. It usually happens with games I really enjoyed playing and played for a longer time.

I think music for me is a big part of what causes these as I love to listen to music in general, which also makes music a HUGE DEAL for me in games, specially if it's fantasy and story focused and if it has a world to explore. 

Also when I learned that the Dungeon Siege theme was composed by Jeremy Soule, it made things even more better. He also composed music for Elder Scroll Oblivion (I think), Skyrim, Guild Wars and Dungeon Siege 2. I freaking love that guy, he is amazing. His music has special signatures and if you pay attention to certain tones and melodies, you know it's his. He basically made all the ambient music for all the best fantasy focused games out there.

Anyway, anyone else often goes on nostalgic trips or from time to time and what causes it the most?

Ranisel likes this

Had DS for the PSP 

THAT WAS  MY/THE SHIIIIT

Apex Spartan likes this

Empire earth, age of empires 1&2, diablo 2, Halo 2, stronghold, original half-life always gets me goosebumbs whenever i play them, and once i start i cannot stop. World war 2 games get me excited aswell, Elderscrolls games get me excited too, all but morrowind, too much reading for my toasts.

These games where part of my childhood, and i remember playing them over and over again whenever i was bored, and i was never bored with these games, ever. Songs, well, name any games from the classic halo trillogy and pick a song! :P

Apex Spartan likes this

Nope, but reading this topic reminds me of something similar. Basically my first girlfriend was a mixture of having stuff in common with me, as well as being 'opposites attract'. This was over half a lifetime ago, but even now I think we had more going than anyone else I've met (except there was one girl I liked even more but she vanished, then I found her again, but...that's another story)... in any case. one of the things we had in COMMON, was our passion for metal music...problem was despite this relation, we pretty much had the opposite likes/dislikes for individual metal bands. I liked Morgoth, she liked Metallica, I liked children of bodom, she liked disturbed, I liked agathodaimon, she liked slipknot... and everything one liked the other didn't...we REALLY didn't.

But there was one band we both liked: Apocalyptica...Now I can't ever hear them without being reminded of her and being all depressed. ugh.

Apex Spartan likes this

Yeah I do, so much so, that I can't listen to any Blood Elf OST from World Of Warcraft, cause I get all Nostalgia-trippy with goosebumps and such.

Also this: 

But I was a bit older when playing D2 so It's not as Nostalgic as WoW's Blood Elf stuff, I felt so immersed while playing, I just wanted to hop into the screen and look around the massive landscapes and beautiful cities, with such an incredible architecture and rich lore :P, not to mention life as it was back then... :unsureoj:

Apex Spartan likes this

9 hours ago, ichig1vsnarut0 said:

Had DS for the PSP 

THAT WAS  MY/THE SHIIIIT

I know right. It was the first series to get me into the action RPG genre and fantasy games. I never used to like fantasy games or knew much about tme before playing DS series.

7 hours ago, Ancient said:

Empire earth, age of empires 1&2, diablo 2, Halo 2, stronghold, original half-life always gets me goosebumbs whenever i play them, and once i start i cannot stop. World war 2 games get me excited aswell, Elderscrolls games get me excited too, all but morrowind, too much reading for my toasts.

These games where part of my childhood, and i remember playing them over and over again whenever i was bored, and i was never bored with these games, ever. Songs, well, name any games from the classic halo trillogy and pick a song! :P

Oh yeah, Half Life gets me in that nostalgic mood as well, Half life 2 as well...damn :(

5 hours ago, Ghaleon said:

But there was one band we both liked: Apocalyptica...Now I can't ever hear them without being reminded of her and being all depressed. ugh.

Lmao I know that feeling. There is some songs that remind me of certain people in life, whether good friends or failed relationships. Oh life, why you do this to me?

10 minutes ago, Ranisel said:

Yeah I do, so much so, that I can't listen to any Blood Elf OST from World Of Warcraft, cause I get all Nostalgia-trippy with goosebumps and such.

Also this: 

But I was a bit older when playing D2 so It's not as Nostalgic as WoW's Blood Elf stuff, I felt so immersed while playing, I just wanted to hop into the screen and look around the massive landscapes and beautiful cities, with such an incredible architecture and rich lore :P, not to mention life as it was back then... :unsureoj:

That Tristam music, I love it! I was glad they added it into Diablo 3, it's very similar to it.  Speaking of WoW, I'm playing it right now and I like it so far, the only thing I'm having a hard time getting used to is the combat which is a bit stale after playing so many MMOs that got me a bit hooked on the more dynamic combat (TERA for example) or Guild Wars 2, which is similar to WoW but has many skillshots none the less.

OH SHIT and I forgot to mention Fallout 2 musc is also one of the most nostalgic trips for me. Fallout 2 was the first complicated game I ever played. I used to play games where shooting solved everything (first person shooters) and ARPGs where the solution was to slay as many monsters as you can while you level up.

But Fallout 2 introduced something special, a world where shooting is not always a best solution. A game where reading was a big part, but I LOVED it! 

I never played it before because I didn't know english so as soon as I learned english a bit, I started to play Fallout 2 and it's the game that I fell in love with. I think I played it right after Dungeon Siege 2 in 2007 or something. Omg...I remember the FIRST time I reached the first town outside of home tribe...I felt so proud. That game was so hard back at the time and took lots of thinking and it was my first game like that...*sigh* good memories

Mark fuckin' Morgan, a composer I will never forget. Music back then was so simple yet SO fuckin good. It made you feel the ambience and atmosphere of a place and you didn't need graphics to experience it.

Also a song from Fallout 1, this is one of the most bad ass tunes ever and I love the NAME of it, sounds so bad ass. Metallic Monk. I love how you can hear computer beeps, voice chatters and so many other things to make you get a feel of the place. It makes you feel the destruction the world of Fallout went through after the nuclear bombs and the technology they use now...

Damn, I remember how when I was a kid, my parents and grandparents would talk to me about their experiences and heroes in their comics and books, but one day if I get my ow children, I will tell them the wondeful and amazing adventures of some of these games they will never experience. I think a tear will roll down my face if I do that.

Ranisel likes this

5 minutes ago, Apex Spartan said:

I never played it before because I didn't know english so as soon as I learned english a bit, I started to play Fallout 2 and it's the game that I fell in love with. I think I played it right after Dungeon Siege 2 in 2007 or something. Omg...I remember the FIRST time I reached the first town outside of home tribe...I felt so proud. That game was so hard back at the time and took lots of thinking and it was my first game like that...*sigh* good memories

Do Fallout 1 and 2 hold up today? I was wondering if I should try them out, but the combat looks like I wouldn't enjoy it at all, the most similliar combat I can think of the top of my head would be Heroes of Might and Magic ( Which is totally coincidentally also a very nostalgic game for me, like SUPER NOSTALGIC -

Like literally every song brings up memories, I never completed the campaign but I usually played CO-OP with friends or against AI on my own, I remember I was so young while playing It, that I was terrified to PLAY as Necropolis or Inferno, like I was literally scared to browse the towns from the scary demons and zombies and especially the songs playing, I was afraid skeletons or zombies would burst down the frail door to my room and kick my ass :D  ) Sorry went a bit off topic, I wanted to say that Heroes had this turn-based strategy combat which is the closest thing to Fallout 1 and 2 combat I've played and enjoyed, and my question is do you think they are worth playing today? 

Alexander452 and Apex Spartan like this

Do I think they are worth playing today? If you were a car enthusiast and someone offered you a classic muscle car from 60s and 70s, would you think it's worth it? xD

Hell yea Fallout 1 and 2 are worth it, if you can look past the graphics.

I liked Fallout 2 more than 1 honestly, it had lots more content and you don't have to play it to understand Fallout 1. As soon as you start Fallout 2, there is a intro telling what happened

Skip to 1:50 if you wanna skip the silly presentation

Anyway, Fallout 1 is good, but I would just skip to 2 and then play 1 if you really enjoyed 2. 2 has more chances to get you hooked.

There is MANY ways to finish many quests, by guns, pure conversation etc

Game has a TON of different skills and ways to build your character, offers tons of side quests, VERY immersive ones and very well told. I hope you don't mind a little reading. You don't have to read too much, but you still gotta do it. It's one of the BEST dialogue systems ever, if you put intelligence to low, your character will literally speak like this, "My name Narg. I from Arroyo" and you will be stupid as shit and people can make fun of you. If you have it on high of couse, you gain benefits in the dialogue. It's a VERY DEEP game and if you like that shit, you will love it.

True combat is turn based but it's still a fun game. if you love gore, you will love Fallout. Burning people to black bones or turning them into a pile of goo with plasma weapoons or just shredding them to a 1000 pieces with a minigun. many options. There are people who finished the game purely by maxing intelligence and speech skills and never fired a bullet. It's amazing. I recommend you this game, but if need help, feel free to PM me. It can be a bit overburdening. I also recommend you to get Project Restoration for Fallout 2, I will link it to you later or help you install it although it's simple if you decide to play it :D

It's a mod that was develped by a guy called BearDude, he restored ALL lost/deleted files from Fallout 2 and added tons of more content into game (towns, weapons, sounds, animations, quests etc) He basically made the game a 100%, because orginally it was released at only 80% finish, not 100%. I don't know why they removed like almost 30% of content from the game, but anyway, that guy spent almost 8 years modding it back into the game. It's amazing!

One of the best thing about this game is that to this day, it still has one of the best karma systems ever. There is overall Karma and how you will be loved/hated throughout the entire Wasteland which is summed by your karma altogether in cities and towns seperately. So if you are asshole most of the time, you will still be popular somewhat in places where you weren't, but you will still lose a bit of popularity there. Overall, you can be a knight in shining armor in this game, a total dick, a child killer even, you get bounty hunters sent after you and so on. It's amazing how much depth it has.

Ranisel likes this

Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night triggered my nostalgia trips.  My love of Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (the only metroidvania-styled Castlevania I played) is why I helped back them on kickstarter.

I always love nostalgic feelings when it comes to games that i have played before 

so many good feelings gets awoken by hearing the main themes again 

SOOOO GOOOD