• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Nickboss99

Most underrated/overrated games of ALL TIME...

10 posts in this topic

What are your favorite games that you think are underrated/overrated on next gen and last gen...

Given that I am the gaming overlord and the general consensus is based on my opinions I can't really think of anything...

OK, GTA4 was garbage. I Also think that the Souls series is pretty damb overrated as well.

Kingdoms of Amalur needs more love. I Also feel Titanfall got allot more flack than it deserved. True, the game had it's issues, but it's great fun.

yea dark souls is a "fun" game to play once in a while but ive only played the first and still stuck at the undead burg lol but i wouldnt play it everyday. also Mad Max is AMAZING! this is a very underrated game... Cod is way overrated as well, and halo...

Kingdoms of Amalur definitely underrated. Last of Us overrated. Only slightly, still a great game, just don't think it's one of the best ever or anything.

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows another really overlooked and underrated game.

for shooters: think MAG (despite its problems) was underated, to this day besides PS2 we havnt seen a shooter do that size

Overrated: Bioshock 1 (story) I loved exploring the world but I thought the story was really overrated. Spec ops the line, I understood the story but the game itself was annoyingly bad when it came to a.i. and the controls.

Underrated: 3d dot game heroes.

Final Fantasy 7 overrated... and I've been saying that long before it was the hipster thing to say (and I know that's the hipster thing to say). Final fantasy tactics is underrated for its story.. so much better than 7 m(and like every ff game tbh), came out at nearly the same time, and nobody compliments its story, and 7 overshadows it.. wtf.. just wtf.

I like dungeon crawlers, but I think legend of grimrock is overrated... the combat is pretty much thoughtless, you just wanna square-strafe everything to death, no actual strategy beyond 'pulling' enemies in an area where you CAN square strafe them. And the game pretty much forces you to look at every wall for a secret button which is tedious when all the walls are reused rather than custom made (which I wouldn't blame them for doing but when finding secret switches everywhere is so integral to the game, ugh).

Battletoads is overrated... nobody gave a fuck about that game because it was shit. Then dark souls came out and everyone suddenly got a hard on for bragging about how macho they were for beating hard games (even though dark souls isn't as hard as plenty of other games that do NOT have such a reputation). But now that dark souls came out I constantly see battletoads touted as some amazing gem in gaming history.. no, it's shit. Why? Because it's supposed to be a beatemup but after the first 2 stages there's virtually no 'beatemup' elements at all, suddenly it's practically all obstical course dodging/memorization. Not to mention what little beatemup elements it has isn't even the 'hard' part minus stage 2 with 2 players killing each other which doesn't even count cuz the game is so shit it's literally impossible to complete with 2 players due to a game breaking bug, stage 2 you can complete, but a later one you cannot.

As for the souls series, I would like to point out that if you think the only appeal is the weirdly obtuse story and challenge factor, I can see why you may think it's overrated. However it's a very unique game in terms of being focused around 3rd person melee action (don't mention casters or whatever please, it's still majority melee action for enemies and whatnot) that has a slower, methodical feel to it rather than a fast intense feel. if you don't like the slow thing, I think it's a bad game to get into, but if you like the slower feel, it's godly amazing imo.

I agree that FF7 is over-rated. It was the first 3D FF and one of the first 3D games in general but other than that it's really not that different from the three games preceding it. And I know that's heresy to say but I've always preferred the older game's worlds.

FF started getting arrogant at 8 and it jumped all the sharks at 13.

Under-rated, I'll say FF12. It's not a bad game despite what some people will tell you. It's definitely not amazing and in no way is it a traditional FF experience but it has an interesting way about it. Though by the end of the game when your characters are fully levelled, all of them are the same ability-wise. Could have done with a more restrictive level up system, in my opinion.

Crazycrab likes this

Yeah I never finished 12 but I thought it was a cool game. it kinda felt like playing an mmo by yourself without ANY  of the downsides of playing an actual mmo.

That said the character design was pretty awful IMO. There isn't a single character in the game that doesn't look off to me.