• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

WeLiVeR

Overwatch Getting More People Up In Arms

14 posts in this topic

First Tracer, now Symmetra! Becuase Feelz.

It's getting ridiculous. Blizzard will probably change it too.

Edited by WeLiVeR
Still getting used to forum changes.

Why is it inappropriate?  Is it because she shows off too much skin?  Gee...where have I heard this before...

First Tracer

As much as reactionary sites/youtube/etc wanted to make it a thing, someone posting an opinion on a forum doesn't actually mean that people are up in arms. No one really cared unless they were trying to create controversy or laughing at the people trying to create controversy. What actually makes Tracer's pose more interesting than the usual fake controversy is that people literally could not have gotten up in arms about it even if they had wanted to, as Blizzard immediately said they were already going to change it at the first mention.

It's getting ridiculous.

It's really not, religious organizations, people portrayed, nationalities, city leaders, etc have frequently had problems with the way their faith, themselves, cultures, their cities/countries are portrayed in games and film. It's pretty common to get complaints like that actually. In almost all cases the developer doesn't do anything or respond. This has happened to Overwatch, Smite, games taking place in real cities or with famous landmarks, Black Ops 2. Hitman 2, frequent incorrect or offensive portrayals of Africa or the Middle East, etc.

Becuase Feelz.

Well yes, that is typically why people do things. As in, you are upset about his feelz because feelz.

Why is it inappropriate?

Article, “trivialized Hinduism’s highly revered goddesses.”

This is another article with some links to Giant Bomb talking about what they think, but in regards to Pharah's skins.

All I think when I see stuff like this is WAAAHHH WAHHHHHH bunch of cry babies.....Also if you click the tweet it is a bunch of hindus disagreeing with the guy. The guy is a damn joke and anyone else that gets butt hurt over something so minor as this. 

Mr_E_Meatshield and WeLiVeR like this

I hate it when people complain about this stuff, but if you gonna do it, at least give some proper reasoning for why you agree she is "inappropriate". Well this guy has legit reasoning, I think.

For anyone who doesn't know about this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajan_Zed_prayer_protest

I suppose by his background, he HAS some "reasons" for his post, but still. He is pissed because the skin itself doesn't represent a goddess, but Devi is the great godess of Hinduism and Syemmtra Devi skin itself on it has skulls and her skin color is associated with the faith and that's whats offensive. I can understand why this guy is offended and while I can't say I 100% agree with him, but he does have some reasoning behind his post. He just doesn't want a game to be showing a hero as a godess from their religion or have any form of her. Point is, I'm sure 80% people don't know who he is so most people will think he is just offended because she is naked, but that's not the point. It's religious reasons.

I HIGHLY disagree with people who complain about sexualized women or sayin they look too naked and I hate when people take that shit seriously ingames, but if it's something like this, that has someone else's religion mixed in and stuff, then I can understand why people get upset. I'm not a hindu, but I do respect all religions and I can understand why someone can get offended with this.

Now I'm not sure if he is the ONLY one offended by this or if it offends most Hindus, but if it does, then I wouldn't mind if the skin got reworked or removed. However if only he is annoyed and it's actually fine by most Hindus, then no, because he alone is just one man.

See, because Blizzard changed the Tracer thing this will most likely keep happening because they know they can get it changed. Give 'em an inch and all that.

Whether that's a bad thing is up to you but personally I see nothing harmful with the designs, though that's coming from someone who doesn't play the game. If a character looks one way then that's the way it's designed and I can either like or dislike it for what it is. That's also where a skin system can come in. Why not just have an alternate costume that "fixes" the issue? Then you have choice and everyone's happy.

Of course, then you get the people who are offended by the simple fact that it's a thing and seeing it sends them into a frothy rage :rolleyes:

Apex Spartan and WeLiVeR like this

Yea people get too offended these days, it's sad.

13 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Article, “trivialized Hinduism’s highly revered goddesses.”

This is another article with some links to Giant Bomb talking about what they think, but in regards to Pharah's skins.

cultural appropriation

Not to mention the linked article contains links for MTV News. :D:D 

Here's another one 

The line is blurry in Overwatch because, in some cases, the skins were based on an exaggerated portrayal that doesn’t correspond with a culture that’s practiced in the present.

So If a character in a game gets dressed with some Traditional Bulgarian Outfit or ''Appropriates my culture'' I should be offended? Or because It's exaggerated? Or that It doesn't correspond...? What?!? So to correspond should the game be based in Bulgaria ? Are you kidding me? There's literally NO REASON to be OFFENDED and there's even LESS REASON for ANYONE to give a flying fuck. Creative freedom for fuck's sake.

The problem is Kali’s role as a vicious slayer seems out of character for Symmetra’s lore as an architect and her in-game role as support, with abilities such as shielding teammates and building teleporters.  :modjoe:

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the upper text is towards the link not about the person who complained about the skin. Sure I can understand why he is offended, but I don't respect all religions, nothing in particular against Hindus but It's just a fucking game, just a skin. And besides I generally dislike any kind of thing that is elevated to a status of which It should not be questioned, shown, referenced, for them It might be a god It might something they revere, but this is not MEANT for them, It's meant for people to whom this ''god'' is just fiction, like the game. My more emotional response would be that they should also comply with other people, It seems that they don't value other opinions other views why should we value theirs? And the more creators and people in general comply to ''this offends me stop It'' the more they will PUSH, they will be the regulators the third party, oh what's that you made a game? Let's see... that's alright... this is okay... OH NO THIS OFFENDS ME BANNED. Being offended is this huge deal nowadays, It's like OH MY GOSH YOU WERE OFFENDED? POOR THING! WHAT MONSTERS DID THIS TO YOU? WHO DARED TO HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION?! Just get over It, It's no big deal.

WeLiVeR likes this

18 hours ago, Ranisel said:

Not to mention the linked article contains links for MTV News. :D:D 

Here's another one 

So If a character in a game gets dressed with some Traditional Bulgarian Outfit or ''Appropriates my culture'' I should be offended? Or because It's exaggerated? Or that It doesn't correspond...? What?!? So to correspond should the game be based in Bulgaria ? Are you kidding me? There's literally NO REASON to be OFFENDED and there's even LESS REASON for ANYONE to give a flying fuck. Creative freedom for fuck's sake.

The problem is Kali’s role as a vicious slayer seems out of character for Symmetra’s lore as an architect and her in-game role as support, with abilities such as shielding teammates and building teleporters.  :modjoe:

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the upper text is towards the link not about the person who complained about the skin. Sure I can understand why he is offended, but I don't respect all religions, nothing in particular against Hindus but It's just a fucking game, just a skin. And besides I generally dislike any kind of thing that is elevated to a status of which It should not be questioned, shown, referenced, for them It might be a god It might something they revere, but this is not MEANT for them, It's meant for people to whom this ''god'' is just fiction, like the game. My more emotional response would be that they should also comply with other people, It seems that they don't value other opinions other views why should we value theirs? And the more creators and people in general comply to ''this offends me stop It'' the more they will PUSH, they will be the regulators the third party, oh what's that you made a game? Let's see... that's alright... this is okay... OH NO THIS OFFENDS ME BANNED. Being offended is this huge deal nowadays, It's like OH MY GOSH YOU WERE OFFENDED? POOR THING! WHAT MONSTERS DID THIS TO YOU? WHO DARED TO HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION?! Just get over It, It's no big deal.

Oh lord why did you have to link that clip :fail:

It makes me cringe so much I cannot stand it.

I really wouldn't mind the complaint at all if he took 5 minutes to EXPLAIN his stance on it, instead of just going "It's inappropriate, remove it!" 

The fact that people pick out optional things to complain about annoys me though, I can't really understand. It does make me happy that he's getting backlash from other Hindus because they think the entire thing is ridiculous. I didn't even know who this man was until last night, and after this I'll probably forget. 

And I'll be honest, I don't respect anyone's religion. I do respect their right to have those beliefs, however. 

We live in an amazing time when the most troubling thing we have to worry about is rather or not people are Offended.

On 7/17/2016 at 11:49 PM, Legolas_Katarn said:

It's really not, religious organizations, people portrayed, nationalities, city leaders, etc have frequently had problems with the way their faith, themselves, cultures, their cities/countries are portrayed in games and film. It's pretty common to get complaints like that actually. In almost all cases the developer doesn't do anything or respond. This has happened to Overwatch, Smite, games taking place in real cities or with famous landmarks, Black Ops 2. Hitman 2, frequent incorrect or offensive portrayals of Africa or the Middle East, etc.

I disagree, wanting something removed because of your own arbitrary beliefs is absolutely ridiculous; 100% of the time. omgerd my feelings. I personally think this line of thought comes from their own insecurities. It doesn't matter how your gods or goddesses are portrayed in video games, where they'ed treated the same as anything else in the game. 

Now imagine a game based on Hindu mythology? Yeah, I can see where you might want things to be more accurately represented; but imposing it onto a game that it has nothing to do with, especially when it's just a little side-skin for people that might want it? It's dumb. 

Well yes, that is typically why people do things. As in, you are upset about his feelz because feelz.

I hold fast with the sentiment of "Fuck your feelings." 

However, it depends. Yes people do usually do things because of their own feelings, but without explaining your stance? It just makes you look like a baby whining because your precious feelings. :plznojoe:

edit:

Okay, I read the article: He did explain it, but I still disagree. 

Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, said that in a video game set-up, the player controlled the movements of Devi, while in reality the devotees put the destinies of themselves in the hands of their goddesses.

He is offended because he obviously doesn't understand the difference between the actual character and optional skins. Or more so, he doesn't want his fictional goddesses being controlled in a virtual game; Because I guess that degrades them? God forbid we're 'allowed' to explore any type of mythology without someone sliding in the "I'm offended card", that's absolutely absurd. 

Moreover, Devi and its movements depicted in Overwatch did not match with characterization of the goddesses in the scriptures, Rajan Zed noted.

Oh I wouldn't know why! Maybe it's because the character herself has nothing to do with your damned goddesses? :metaloj:

Rajan Zed indicated that reimagining Hindu scriptures, symbols, concepts and deities for commercial or other agenda was not okay as it created confusion.

It may create confusion, but to a millennial the entire theology creates confusion. Regardless, you don't get to decide what is and isn't okay, or more so you can't command people. To the average person, a religious(usually of conflicting religion) person condemning something in a distant country means NOTHING. It's simply because we're slowly becoming a little bitchy baby culture that back-steps every time some says they're offended.

There is a good reason REGRESSIVE Left is a thing people say. Political Correctness and all that crap. :modjoe:

Refer to "Fuck your feelings." 

Edited by WeLiVeR
Added to my point
Ranisel likes this

cultural appropriation is so damn idiotic, disgusting and juvinille. Every time someone complains about something someone 'culturally appropriating' from them, I bet your ass that said object being 'appropriated' FROM utilizes technology or technique FROM said party they are complaining is appropriating.

For example, I once saw someone complain that R&B music was for black people and other people can't listen to it without being racist because of cultural appropriation. But R&B music often has an electric bass guitar, a microphone, maybe even a bar or auditorium. But nobody bans R&B music for appropriating THOSE things to make that music. How about the materials used to make things? Who invented plastic? who invented electricity? etc. Geeze @#%@%#.

WeLiVeR likes this

It's true that R&B was and continues to be a genre dominated by black people but that doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. Same with pretty much anything else that's been invented.

I don't usually care about such things, honestly. I don't even listen to R&B, at least the modern kind of it. I'm sure I'd find something in my collection that's from the genre and Blues Brothers is one of my favourites so there we are.

WeLiVeR likes this

Don't these people have anything better to do with their time?