• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Velocirapter

Monitor Flickers and Turns off around 7-8 PM

13 posts in this topic

So I got a new laptop and i have had it for a few months now, its a HP Envy j300 with a GTX 850m, Intel HD 5200, and an i7 5500U. Also 16gb of ram. I have it hooked up to a Samsung S23C570 at 1980x1080 @60hz. Around 7-8 PM the monitor flickers and then dies and then comes back on and dies. I also get some artifacts on the screen (Black or Multicolor lines across the screen) before it dies. It doesn't matter if I've used it all day or not at all the same thing happens. I will try reinstalling drivers and a new cable soon. I also ran a Defender scan. Any Suggestions?

Are you getting any error messages? That sounds a lot like the graphic issues I had with a and card a while back as side from happening at specific times.

The artifacts and screen going black are most likely video card/video driver related. Now if it is happening at a specific time every day, I would check to see what you are doing that may be different at that time of day. There may be something running and eating up all your resources.

If you do end up getting an error message or worse, a blue screen, a quick Google search will usually net you a forum where someone has had the same issue and someone else has already gave a resolution.

Velocirapter likes this

1 minute ago, Seph said:

Are you getting any error messages? That sounds a lot like the graphic issues I had with a and card a while back as side from happening at specific times.

The artifacts and screen going black are most likely video card/video driver related. Now if it is happening at a specific time every day, I would check to see what you are doing that may be different at that time of day. There may be something running and eating up all your resources.

If you do end up getting an error message or worse, a blue screen, a quick Google search will usually net you a forum where someone has had the same issue and someone else has already gave a resolution.

So i don't get any error messages, I am going to try reinstalling the drivers after I test this new HDMI cable. I really don't think im doing anything different. I actulayy rarely play games from 7-8. I'll check task manager

Now I was assuming you meant that the monitor was going black and not turning completely off, if the monitor is turning completely off then that's a separate issue entirely.

20 minutes ago, Seph said:

Now I was assuming you meant that the monitor was going black and not turning completely off, if the monitor is turning completely off then that's a separate issue entirely.

Im pretty sure it turns completely off. The light isn't on so it's either dead or on with just a black screen. I guess it was too light in my room for me to be sure, I'll check today. It's 6:23 here so not that long

I got sidetracked and wasn't able to check. Will check tomorrow.

This sounds like a software issue, hardware will go out intermittently not at exactly the same time during the day. Not sure on Windows but on UNIX systems you can check to see if a cron job is running at that time.

Found the windows version https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383614(v=vs.85).aspx

I'd start there, I think something is running at that time and it's dinking with your hardware.

It also might be a good idea to read your monitors manual, there might be a sleep setting that's on (and malfunctioning)

A new HDMI cord and a cleaning of the port fixed it, My whole laptop seems pretty dusty as I rarely move it, should I take out the bottom and clean it with compressed air?

Yeah I would, hair and dust gets gummed up in there. There's a stupid copper contact goes from you CPU to a heat sink on the side of the case and there's a little turbine fan next to that. It forces the heat out. That's pretty much what you got. If it gets to gummed up it will damage the fan. Blowing it out will help it last longer, a word of warning though you can blow crud into the computer so I'd be careful. Also I wouldn't use very high pressure as that can also damage the fan.

The best thing to do would be to take the keyboard and icon cover off so the main board is exposed and clean in there and the fan, but if you've never done that before I wouldn't recommend it. Laptops are significantly more difficult to take apart and put back together. And if you damage a ribbon or a gate you basically screwed.

Velocirapter likes this

On 7/26/2016 at 10:39 PM, Seirex said:

Yeah I would, hair and dust gets gummed up in there. There's a stupid copper contact goes from you CPU to a heat sink on the side of the case and there's a little turbine fan next to that. It forces the heat out. That's pretty much what you got. If it gets to gummed up it will damage the fan. Blowing it out will help it last longer, a word of warning though you can blow crud into the computer so I'd be careful. Also I wouldn't use very high pressure as that can also damage the fan.

The best thing to do would be to take the keyboard and icon cover off so the main board is exposed and clean in there and the fan, but if you've never done that before I wouldn't recommend it. Laptops are significantly more difficult to take apart and put back together. And if you damage a ribbon or a gate you basically screwed.

I got around to taking off the screws from the bottom today and the shell never came off. My old laptop (thinkpad) was much easier to open up so I'm not comfortable opening it up. I think there might be screws under the adhesive pads but I don't want to take them off. Is blowing compressed air through the intake ports on the bottom going to help at all?

Just as a reference my cpu temps are like 40-50 C idle and 60-80 under load. My CPU bottlenecks my GPU in some games by the way. 

16 hours ago, Velocirapter said:

Just as a reference my cpu temps are like 40-50 C idle and 60-80 under load. My CPU bottlenecks my GPU in some games by the way. 

Those temperatures aren't that unusual so unless you are having noticeable performance issues I would just leave it.

I personally don't think using compressed air (especially in somthing as compact as a laptop) is a good idea.   You run the risk of blowing dust further in.  In my personal experiences with laptops and consoles (which are built quite similar) I've used a vacuum nozzle along the vents and on the fan itself and it's been very effective.

To be honest crazy crab is right, if taking the icon cover and keyboard off is not an option than. Using a shot vac to suck out the dirt dust and hair would be your best option.