• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Cyborg-Rox

[SOLVED] Upgrade to Windows 10?

40 posts in this topic

I've pretty much made up my mind that I want to make the upgrade to Windows 10 (from Windows 7) on my PC before the free period ends. I just want to make sure that's the right choice, and I'm not missing anything critical. If it ends up not being to my liking, I could just revert back to Windows 7 within 31 days after the upgrade.

So, how does Windows 10 overall affect my PC? What problems might I have, what downsides will I have, and what improvements will I have?

Only things u gotta search for in google is how to turn off all the underlying (useless) applications and the forced updates this OS likes to do. Recommend you go and find a actual nerdy site and not one of those blogs for this.

Its a lighter OS, it runs smooth, its less ugly for sure. Annnnd DX12 support if your gpu handles it. Only these underlying things and the privacy invasion u gotta deal with and turn em off.

You CAN also make an image of you HDD before you upgrade so you can revert back. But I DON'T KNOW THE LEGAL stuff with that. Normally that would be ok if you owned the licenses of both OS's but microsoft is giving you 10. Windows 10 license might be replacing your win 7 license. Not sure on that. If IT WERE ME I would just upgrade. Windows support for 7 will eventually drop and as seen before applications will eventually stop being written for 7.

I upgraded all my computers to Windows 10 long ago... The best way to do it... - CLEAN installation. Latest Windows 10 ISO/media creation tools accept Windows 7/8/8.1 product keys for activation. So you don't have have upgrade on top of your Win7/8 to activate and then perform clean install again.

IMPORTANT:
You need the Windows 10 ISO downloader (aka Media Creation Tool) which is distributed by MS in OCT 2015 or later. Here is the link to download the latest version
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

- Once you download the Windows 10 ISO using media creation tool, burn ISO to DVD or use tools (example: rufus) to copy to USB flash drive
- Boot from Windows 10 Installation DVD or USB flash drive
- Choose the RIGHT version of Windows 10 (if you have 7/8/8.1 PRO key, choose Windows 10 Pro, otherwise choose Windows 10 Std)
- Installation will ask for key and select "DO not have product key"
- Perform clean install
- After installation is finished, make sure computer can access Internet
- go "Start (Win logo)" --> "Setting" --> "Update & Security" --> "Activation"
- click "Change product key"
- Use your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10

Many people are having problem after Win10 upgrade are because:

- Their previous OSes were already fxxked. Windows upgrade IS NOT Windows fixing. You will be LUCKY if your old Windows problems are gone after upgrade but don't bet on that. Most users never admit they fxxkup their own computers... Blame MS is the easiest way.

- incompatible software. These should apply to those old ass software or some "custom made" software. But most people here are talking about gaming computer and that should not be a problem. Also, Windows 10 (like Win7/8) supports "compatibility mode"... google this.

- incompatible hardware. This should be the only reason people should be careful before upgrade. But Windows 10 upgrade tools should told you if your system hardware are good or not. From my experience, (old) video card/GPU having the most upgrade issues. Windows 10 "cut off" a lot of older GPUs. But again, in here - a PC gaming forum, this should not be a problem. I don't think many PC gamer are/should using a very old computer/GPU for PC gaming...

And for those who scare about MS are "sniffing" around with Windows 10 (telemetry and data collection), BTW, MS was doing that long ago even with Win7/8. So this is not really a valid reason not to upgrade Windows 10.  And yes MS is doing (and will do) more than ever, but so do Apple, Google, Steam... You are living in 2016 not 1996 anymore. It is a connected world, deal with it.

There is also a tool to cut off some of the MS telemetry and data collection...

Spybot Anti-Beacon
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Windows 10 has lots of those should be blocked... like WiFi Sense, P2P Windows updates outside local network... It will also prevent MS update re-enable some of the services you blocked. But I would still run this program to make sure once a while. There are more "sniffing" services in the optional tab, but I didn't block all because I use some of them.

antibeacon10-full.png

DemonsColt, TamaskanLEM and Seirex like this

This might be worth checking out.

I have heard some horror stories of upgrades, though I myself have not had them since I did a clean install.

On 7/24/2016 at 8:36 PM, FakeAvus said:

I upgraded all my computers to Windows 10 long ago... The best way to do it... - CLEAN installation. Latest Windows 10 ISO/media creation tools accept Windows 7/8/8.1 product keys for activation. So you don't have have upgrade on top of your Win7/8 to activate and then perform clean install again.

IMPORTANT:
You need the Windows 10 ISO downloader (aka Media Creation Tool) which is distributed by MS in OCT 2015 or later. Here is the link to download the latest version
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

- Once you download the Windows 10 ISO using media creation tool, burn ISO to DVD or use tools (example: rufus) to copy to USB flash drive
- Boot from Windows 10 Installation DVD or USB flash drive
- Choose the RIGHT version of Windows 10 (if you have 7/8/8.1 PRO key, choose Windows 10 Pro, otherwise choose Windows 10 Std)
- Installation will ask for key and select "DO not have product key"
- Perform clean install
- After installation is finished, make sure computer can access Internet
- go "Start (Win logo)" --> "Setting" --> "Update & Security" --> "Activation"
- click "Change product key"
- Use your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10

Alright, so a few questions

First off, is this "Media Creation Tool" what's constantly popping up and preaching to me about the wonders of Windows 10, while counting down to the end of the free upgrade period? If not, then what's the difference between them?

Second, got some basic instructions for this "rufus" program?

Third, how am I to 'boot' my PC with a USB stick?

Fourth, this might sound dumb, but I'm kinda on the fence about what exactly "Clean install" means. It's not the process of wiping everything from your harddisk, is it?

Fifth (Just for clarity) How can I access internet, settings, or any of Windows' functions without having Windows 10 activated?

And sixth, what are the advantages of going through this seemingly complicated process as opposed to just going with a standard installation?

1 hour ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

Alright, so a few questions

First off, is this "Media Creation Tool" what's constantly popping up and preaching to me about the wonders of Windows 10, while counting down to the end of the free upgrade period? If not, then what's the difference between them?

Second, got some basic instructions for this "rufus" program?

These are applicatios that use to create the USB boot drive that you need for installation.  There is more than one method but this guide will talk you through how to do this with Rufus.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows-10-bootable-usb-flash-drive/

Third, how am I to 'boot' my PC with a USB stick

Fourth, this might sound dumb, but I'm kinda on the fence about what exactly "Clean install" means. It's not the process of wiping everything from your harddisk, is it?

Reinstalling windows will erase everything from the drive that has your Windows partition.  So it's best to back any personal files to cloud storage or another drive.  This is why I so strongly recommend have an SSD exclusively for the Windows partition.  As for the USB boot just follow the on screen instructions, it's pretty straight forward.

Fifth (Just for clarity) How can I access internet, settings, or any of Windows' functions without having Windows 10 activated?

Even without activation Windows will give you a time frame and access to enough features to input and if necessary purchase one.

And sixth, what are the advantages of going through this seemingly complicated process as opposed to just going with a standard installation?

It's better to go through the longer process because it give you the opportunity off the back to set it up the way you want.  So if there are any features that you perhaps don't want like automatic updates you can disable them right then and there.

Honestly dude, just do what's going to make you comfortable, doing the update the way Microsoft gives you is going to be easier than any longer route obviously. If there giving you an image of the installation disk than you'll need to unpack it on the USB stick or burn it to a DVD. Unfortunately I don't know the proper way to do the IMG or ISO to USB on a Windows system. And yes there is a proper way because you need the part of the IMG that makes it boot not just the files. I know to put it on a DVD your os should have software to do that like Nero or something. My personal opinion is... Windows is best run in a VM. A clean install just means your replacing your previous OS with a new one. Not upgrading.

You don't NEED to do a fresh install. Windows get gummed up after a year or so, that's why people generally think they have a virus. More than not  there's nothing wrong with their pc. The OS just gets filled with garbage. So they do a fresh install, and windows doesn't have that issue until a time it does.

Been wondering about Windows 10, for games like Killer Instict where it's crossplay with the X1. Do the PC users also need to pay for an XBL membership to access the multiplayer and such?

8 hours ago, Mr_E_Meatshield said:

Been wondering about Windows 10, for games like Killer Instict where it's crossplay with the X1. Do the PC users also need to pay for an XBL membership to access the multiplayer and such?

You don't need XBox Live gold, both that and PS+ don't apply for FTP online games like this.  The Microsoft account that you use to sign in to Windows 10 will tie in with your current XBox Live account and gamertag (XBL and Microsoft accounts are effectively the same thing).

PjeQFOc.png

On 7/26/2016 at 0:40 AM, Crazycrab said:

These are applicatios that use to create the USB boot drive that you need for installation.  There is more than one method but this guide will talk you through how to do this with Rufus.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows-10-bootable-usb-flash-drive/

Okay, I've been getting started on this part now. I finished creating the installation media with the Media Creation Tool and putting it on an USB, but now I'm a bit confused as to what guide to follow.

There's the guide you linked me, involving Rufus, and then there's the guide at Microsoft's website. According to the latter, I should be ready to boot my PC with the USB now, making the whole Rufus step seem unneeded, but according to the Rufus guide there's still much more to do before that. So, did I just somehow bypass that step, or am I missing something?

Also, would like a quick answer. Not much time left of the free period...

Like I said there is multiple methods of setting up a boot drive and which one you do and how many steps are needed depends largely on your source for the Windows 10 files and what format they are in.

If you could post some screen shots of what you have so far form using the media creation tool, what files went in to the process and what came out that would be helpfull.

I would also like to know where you got the Windows and what format it is in, like .ISO, .RAR, .ZIP or whatever.  If it came from Microsoft directly, though a third party website, torrent and so.

One more thing....  do you have a product key either for your current copy of Windows 7 or 10?  Don't worry to much if you don't but this will affect things later on.

@Crazycrab

Here's the files in my USB after using the tool:

gtwonKN.png

Here's the file I downloaded (from Microsoft's official website): 

jxHQtVl.png

For the record, this is Norwegian, if you need to translate some of it in google translate.

As for the product key, I do have it for Windows 7 Home Premium, labeled on my PC frame. It was custom-built by a Scandinavian company fyi.

As far as I can tell you good to go.  If you haven't already back up your personal files like local saves, documants, pictures as so on.  For games it's best to use the backup and restore facilitates that are built in to Steam and other clients, but don't bother with the game clients or any other applications themselves as you better of downloading them fresh anyway.

When your ready turn of your system and stick in the USB drive, boot up again then follow the on screen instructions.  There will be a number of prompts for you'r product key, personal details, Microsoft account, network settings, OS Partition and so on.

On booting up the screen may have a 4:3 aspect and/or be very low res, all you have to do is set the resolution manually in display settings.  You will also have to reinstall your graphics driver then restart.

After that your good to go, let me know if need anything else.

Seirex likes this

if you can not boot into windows 10 setup...

Make note of the *.efi files on the USB you created. if you have a uefi bios that means when you boot you can select the bootmgr.efi at start setup. if you have a older motherboard you may not be able to boot from this media, if it did not make a boot record on your USB disk. You should google "'your-motherboard' boot from efi".

40 minutes ago, Seirex said:

if you can not boot into windows 10 setup...

Make note of the *.efi files on the USB you created. if you have a uefi bios that means when you boot you can select the bootmgr.efi at start setup. if you have a older motherboard you may not be able to boot from this media, if it did not make a boot sector on your USB disk. You should google "'your-motherboard' boot from efi".

@Crazycrab

Right, it's not booting on its own. I don't know how to do it manually on the startup though. I read something about an F2, F12, Esc button combination on the Microsoft website, but I can't look up that combination for my computer as I've lost the manual...

Tried searching on google as well, but not much luck. If you want to try, I have a B75MA-P45 motherboard.

52 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

@Crazycrab

Right, it's not booting on its own. I don't know how to do it manually on the startup though. I read something about an F2, F12, Esc button combination on the Microsoft website, but I can't look up that combination for my computer as I've lost the manual...

Tried searching on google as well, but not much luck. If you want to try, I have a B75MA-P45 motherboard.

That is to enter the Bios settings, which you'll need to do in order to boot your system from the USB boot device instead of you hard drive which your system is doing by default.

It's done through hitting ESC, DEL or one of the F Keys, It varies depending on what BIOS is installed on your motherboard.  You need to find out which one it is (even if it you have to resort to trail and error).  There is usually an indicator on the screen on startup but it may only be there for moment.

EDIT:  I've looked into it and apparently for MSI motherboard's it is DEL.

324857d1404929218t-possible-install-wind

Once you have manged to do that you should see a screen something like one of these:

1.jpg  bios-boot-menu.jpg  

bootable_usb_b.jpg  Boot-Menu1.jpg

From here you need to either select and hit return on the USB/Removable device (as highlighted in the 4th image) or move it into the #1 boot device position and restart (again this depends on what BIOS it runs).

ANOTHER EDIT:  Being and MSI Bios it might look a little more elaborate but the principle is essentially the same:

MSI%20Z87I%20BIOS%2018%20-%20Boot%20Conf

9 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

You don't need XBox Live gold, both that and PS+ don't apply for FTP online games like this.  The Microsoft account that you use to sign in to Windows 10 will tie in with your current XBox Live account and gamertag (XBL and Microsoft accounts are effectively the same thing).

PjeQFOc.png

Cool, so I guess for the regular (can't think of any other term) games or ones that aren't free-to-play like Scalebound an active XBL Gold subscription?

9 minutes ago, Mr_E_Meatshield said:

Cool, so I guess for the regular (can't think of any other term) games or ones that aren't free-to-play like Scalebound an active XBL Gold subscription?

It seems like they will add some XBL Gold features like Games with Gold for Windows 10 but Online gaming will remain free.  This is kind of an old article, right now it's not very clear.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/23/7878071/microsoft-considering-xbox-gold-program-for-windows-10-but-online

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

@Crazycrab

Alright, I'm not sure whether to select "SanDisk" or "UEFI: SanDisk" (name of the USB). I'm assuming it's the latter, but I want to make sure.

igueFdZ.jpg

8 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

@Crazycrab

Alright, I'm not sure whether to select "SanDisk" or "UEFI: SanDisk" (name of the USB). I'm assuming it's the latter, but I want to make sure.

Hide contents

igueFdZ.jpg

If it's not that one it will just simply skip over it and boot with the SATA1 Hard Drive as normal.

@Crazycrab

Yeah, that was it. I have a question though. Nothing important or anything, it's just that I've read in the Microsoft guide that I need to select the language I already had on my Windows, but I'd like to have it in English instead. If I remember correctly, I wasn't able to change the language when I got this PC.

So... would there be any harm in changing it now?