• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

nikiking

help me choose a new gpu pls

11 posts in this topic

so i am wondering between amd radeon rx 480;gtx 1060 strix(3 fans) or msi black armor gtx 1070  
i play all kind of games and i am planning to get 1080p 144 hz monitor so what do you guys think.

and another question how do you even install 3 fan cards when they are 300mm long?

Can you list the rest of your components? If I'm not mistaken, the 1070 is the strongest card out of those three. If you want to get the full potentional out of that 144Hz monitor, you'd probably want the strongest one you could get.

Yeap, post your full specs. It doesn't matter which GPU you have, if your other hardware isn't good enough to handle it, you will be badly bottlenecked and won't be getting the best quality and perfomance. Post your CPU, Mobo and PSU just in case. PSU is not important actually, but as far as I know, if you go with 1070 for example, NVIDIA recommends minimum of 500W.

I think the 1070 is your best option out of those 3 you have listed. 1060 is a bit weaker than 1070.

RX is AMD so if you got other hardware better optimized for AMD, I would recommend going with it. As I said, we need your other specs.

4 hours ago, nikiking said:

so i am wondering between amd radeon rx 480;gtx 1060 strix(3 fans) or msi black armor gtx 1070  
i play all kind of games and i am planning to get 1080p 144 hz monitor so what do you guys think.

and another question how do you even install 3 fan cards when they are 300mm long?

If you actually want your games to slam into that 144Hz buffer at 1080p then the 1070 will certainly do that but I personally think it's unnecessary overkill. Looking at benchmarks the 1060 should hit about 120 - 144Hz at 1080p with the RX 480 at about 100 - 120Hz so I would save some money and go for one of those.

When it comes to longer triple fan cards you do have to be a little careful as some case's cannot accommodate a card that long so measure your's.  If you go to pcpartpicker the compatibility filter should tell you if the GPU clearance in an alternitive case isn't enough. 

nikiking likes this

my specs are
intel core i5-6500
16gb ddr4
Asrock b150m pro4 b15
ATX case
so do you think that gtx 1060 will be enought or 1070 will be an overkill.

1 hour ago, nikiking said:

my specs are
intel core i5-6500
16gb ddr4
Asrock b150m pro4 b15
ATX case
so do you think that gtx 1060 will be enought or 1070 will be an overkill.

Unless you are possibly interested in a 2K/4K display or VR then I think the 1060 should do just fine.

Apex Spartan likes this

^That

And also if you don't upgrade often, then just get a 1070, if you want so you can be at peace for a little longer, but I don't know if many people do that. I do it myself as I don't get too many chances to upgrade every year or so, I upgrade every few years due to my shitty financial status, but when I get a chance to upgrade, I go for the best stuff I can go with my money and aim for longetivity too. If you plan to be upgrading some time in a year or so, then just go for 1060.

btw i forgot to ask how much video card cooling fans matter.Lets say i get gtx 1060 EVGA superclocked with only 1 fan and  gtx 1060 asus with 2 fans.Is it worth giving 50more euro for an extra fan.(i love overclocking and probablyill use the full clock speed of 1800 mhz)
Oh and what do you think about corsair 500w or 550w powersupplies and corsair as brand in total?

1 hour ago, nikiking said:

btw i forgot to ask how much video card cooling fans matter.Lets say i get gtx 1060 EVGA superclocked with only 1 fan and  gtx 1060 asus with 2 fans.Is it worth giving 50more euro for an extra fan.(i love overclocking and probablyill use the full clock speed of 1800 mhz)
Oh and what do you think about corsair 500w or 550w powersupplies and corsair as brand in total?

I'd suggest taking a look at the TomsHardware PSU tier list (you can just copy and paste the underlined part into google and you'll find it, dunno if I can link the site here) to find which PSU's are of high quality and which aren't. Almost every brand has their good units and bad units, Corsair included. You just have to pick the right one. That list will help you. As for the fans on the GPU, you could always look up how the specific GPU performs when overclocked. There's usually always someone who does a test/review to help others decide. From what I hear, Gigabyte and MSI usually have the best cooling. I'd assume EVGA and Asus aren't too far behind, though. 

EDIT: You could also always get an aftermarket cooling kit for your GPU, although I dunno how effective they are, I haven't seen that many people use them. People usually just liquid cool everything. 

Crazycrab likes this

2 hours ago, nikiking said:

These companies are pretty good when it comes to designing and testing thier coolers for the base clocks that they apply.  Naturally you would expect a cooler with 2 fans to perform better than 1 but there is more to it that just that.  The surface area of the fan, rotational speed and the design of the blades all count as well so try not to get fixated on this one detail.

The best idea is to do some research, look for YouTube videos and bench tests for cooling and overclocking performance.

GTX1070 because it is the fastest among three... Unless you can't afford it... I don't understand why you need help to choose?? Choose the fastest one you can afford, if not choose the next best thing, if not, the next one...